Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Rambutan
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: May 14, 2008 01:26AM

If tropical fruits were Pokemon, I'd be thrilled because I'm one step closer to catching them all.

I FINALLY laid hands upon some Rambutans tonight when exploring a new Asian market (I wasn't going to pay $3/1 fruit at Whole Foods).

I heard that the ones that are very red will leave a very hard to clean stain on your skin/clothes. I was shocked that when I cut it in half, it looked EXACTLY LIKE AN EYE. It's similar to longans or litchis... but more dense and less sloppy.

Is the nut inside edible? Does anyone know if they are loaded with anything specifically nutritionally awesome?

They're so much fun. My friend's cat wanted to play with them. =)

[www.fluffbuff.com]

Sometimes I REALLY wish these crazy fruits grew in North America (but then delicious peaches and strawberries just as quickly make me think otherwise). Sigh. <3

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rambutan
Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: May 14, 2008 02:45AM

Phantom,

I never had the problem of my hands turning red you may be thinking of litchis they are close relatives.
As for eating the seed once in a while I will take a bite and get part of the seed mixed in and spit it out not very tasty.
Here is what a crop fact sheet says about the seed and other parts.

The seeds are edible when roasted, they are bitter and said to be narcotic. A tallow similar to cacao butter, with a high level of arachidic acid, can be rendered from the seeds. The rambutan tallow is edible and can be used to make soap and candles. The reddish colored rambutan wood is fairly hard and heavy, and reputed to be resistant to insects but not to fungi, however, trees are usually too small to be valued as timber.

I just eat the fruit it, tommorrow I am going to buy a few kilos of rambutan and maybe 6 or 7 kilos of durian on a day I eat durian my first meal is always rambutan or othe juicy fruits.

Love Peace and Happiness,

Cherimoya,

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: May 15, 2008 08:30AM

rambutans are awesome! funny little hairy things!

LOL @ the eye comment! Years ago I was eating a lychee and I had to wonder why in horror films they spent so much money on eyeball FX when they could just use a peeled lychee, haha! :-)

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: May 15, 2008 02:33PM

Wow. I never have heard of them. I will keep my eye out (pun intended LOL) for them.

Posted by: mookie ()
Date: May 15, 2008 04:09PM

ok.. that's almost creepy- eyelashes and all!

did you enjoy them? what do they taste like?

Date: May 15, 2008 06:51PM

They're yummy--a smoother and less messy relative of the litchi. =)

When my boyfriend came over, I made him close his eyes and put out his hands so I could pass him a rambutan. Without even looking, he just yelled, "It's one of your weird fruits again, isn't it?!?!" >8)

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 17, 2008 02:50PM

phantom:

<<When my boyfriend came over, I made him close his eyes and put out his hands so I could pass him a rambutan. Without even looking, he just yelled, "It's one of your weird fruits again, isn't it?!?!" >8)>>

PFFFFFTTTTTT!!!!

well, did he eat it or what??

i never seen or heard about or ate a rambutan

those things look like they could crawl up a tree

but they look like they are fragrant too

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 17, 2008 04:47PM

I confess to total ignorance. I thought this would be about an Islamic holiday or something.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: May 17, 2008 05:32PM

I ate them in Indonesia and they were one of the most beautiful things I have ever tasted - the monkeys could peel them in seconds.

I was so excited when I found some in England but they tasted of nothing. I suppose they were harvested unripe and they just didn't taste anything like the ones in Indonesia. so sad

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: May 17, 2008 06:48PM

I wouldn't eat the seed smiling smiley But, the flesh is extremely delish, isn't it?! I grew up eating it regularly.

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: May 17, 2008 09:06PM

They are so addicting, aren't they??

I bought some the other day, and the poor cashier must have never seen them before. She picked up the bag, and as soon as she saw (and felt) what was in it, she dropped it like a hot potato and jumped about two feet off the ground. Poor thing, all the blood drained out of her face, and I was trying so hard not to laugh too much, while reassuring her it was only a type of fruit!

Now that my kids have tried them, they can't stop asking for more, haha!!

Sapphire

Date: May 18, 2008 05:02AM

I took a whole pack to work tonight!! It was fabulous!!

Only one person was too scared to try one. =D

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables