Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Green Smoothie challenge
Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: May 18, 2008 11:22AM

This fab scheme is being run in Australia

[www.greensmoothiechallenge.com]

I have joined and gone green smoothie mad

Anyone else?? could keep this thread open for GS ideas smiling smiley

Much Love

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Raw since March 2007

http://rawveganlondoner.blogspot.com/

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Green Smoothie challenge
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: May 18, 2008 12:30PM

I'm a big Fan of the Green Smoothie. I'm using a wide variety of Seaweed for my Greens and it is working out very well. Fresh Fruit and Greens are impossible for me right now. My Fruit Smoothies have a base of Hunza Apricots and Turkish Figs, in addition to the Seaweed.
I watched the Video Clip of Victoria Boutenko, author of 'Green for Life', and was very disappointed in the way she looked. Does anyone else get the same feeling?......WY
[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 18, 2008 12:46PM

oh deary me.. I didnt realise that until now!!

What sort of quantity of figs do you use?? Sounds very intresting with the seaweed smiling smiley

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Raw since March 2007

http://rawveganlondoner.blogspot.com/

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 18, 2008 01:48PM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I watched the Video Clip of Victoria Boutenko,
> author of 'Green for Life', and was very
> disappointed in the way she looked. Does anyone
> else get the same feeling?......WY
> [www.youtube.com]

I feel the same way, WY. I don't believe she is
really raw. She looks pretty SAD to me. This is
also true of some of the other people prominent
in the RAW world.

I also think in some cases they have done so much
damage to themselves before going raw that no
amount of the good stuff will undo it.

But other people seem to me to be more obviously
adherent, like Storm.

It's been said before, most people when they are
young are pretty resilient. People don't really
diverge much based on lifestyle before the
early 30s. By the early 40s you can see a
difference. By the 50s it is bigger. By the
60s still bigger. Etc.

I am 44 and work with a bunch of SADs who are
about my age. Everyone tells me how much younger
and better I look and they don't mean this in the
facial prettiness sense. I've been mostly raw for
about 5 years, mostly vegan for about 10 years,
and at least vegetarian for about 20 years, but
always calorie restricted, since my teens.

Believe! Even if the gurus lie/cheat. They don't
really matter except to generate enthusiasm and
get people to start thinking about their own
power to make changes for the good. But that is
a very important thing in itself.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: May 18, 2008 02:30PM

<<<
I also think in some cases they have done so much
damage to themselves before going raw that no
amount of the good stuff will undo it.
>>>

This is what I have thought about Victoria Boutenko. She looks really bad (very overweight and ill) in her before raw pics. I don't understand how she can maintain her weight on just raw food.

I want to eat more green somoothies. Of course I have to make the kids one when I make one for me and it becomes pretty expensive. We are looking into eating more wild edibles. I know we must have a LOT in our woods. In the fall garden we will be able to grow our own and we can really be green smoothie crazy.

Date: May 18, 2008 02:47PM

Hmm.. Who am I to judge!! lol Green smoothies raw-k eitherway!

Pricey you say??

I am trying to find cheapish produce for mine, happily manage on those alone, hunting down the organic market tommorow.

Managed to get Mango buy one get one this week, organic blueberries £1 a punnet and spinach big bags for £1.20

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: May 18, 2008 03:04PM

>Believe! Even if the gurus lie/cheat. They don't
really matter except to generate enthusiasm and
get people to start thinking about their own
power to make changes for the good. But that is
a very important thing in itself.

Spot on. =D

Date: May 18, 2008 08:32PM

>> Anyone else?? could keep this thread open for GS ideas smiling smiley

I too would love some ideas! Is there a green smoothie recipe thread here anywhere? I couldn't find one with a perfunctory search and would love to read about some good combinations. I'm a GS virgin...I've never had a green smoothie! I want to have one TODAY! Any suggestions as to what would be a fantastic first green smoothie? Be gentle, it's my first time tongue sticking out smiley

Good luck with your green smoothie challenge, rawdanceruk!

Date: May 18, 2008 09:49PM

something beautiful Wrote:
> I'm a GS virgin...I've never had a green smoothie!
I want to have one TODAY! Any suggestions as to what
> would be a fantastic first green smoothie? Be
> gentle, it's my first time
Be careful!! They're habit forming. They're
also the best way to eat...IMHO.
The whole idea behind Green Smoothies is to take a Strong
Green (Kale, Collards, Mustard Greens, Turnip Greens,
Beet Greens) and make it palatable by adding Sweet Fruit....WY

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: May 18, 2008 10:01PM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
> I watched the Video Clip of Victoria Boutenko,
> author of 'Green for Life', and was very
> disappointed in the way she looked. Does anyone
> else get the same feeling?......WY
> [www.youtube.com]

Does anyone know how old Victoria is?

Posted by: cy ()
Date: May 18, 2008 10:18PM

Hey Pakd4fun,I made a dandelion,pear,banana smoothie that was the most delicious.
I'm eating dandelions a lot,and I am very much looking forward to have my other weeds with my smoothies.Free stuff are twice delicious.

Date: May 18, 2008 10:51PM

Today I had

Spinach, blueberry, strawberry --maca and carob with spinach

yesterday I had the same with Pineapple minus the superfoods

Done before Mango, limes with romaine.. very very good!!

Date: May 18, 2008 10:53PM

rawnoggin Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
>
> Does anyone know how old Victoria is?
She's 53. In all fairness, Russian Women
tend to have that matronly 'look'.
I guess the best thing to do is stop looking for the
answer in someone else. Be your own Hero or Heroine....WY

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 18, 2008 11:18PM

My husband has been making 64 oz.of green smoothies everyday for us to share. It's basically 3 bananas, 1 1/2 cup frozen or fresh fruit and 7 leaves of dark greens, mostly lacinato kale. It is a big part of our raw diet, they're delicious!!

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: May 19, 2008 12:14AM

Thanks, WY :-) I don't think she looks that bad. I don't think youthfulness comes down to just diet anyway. It's often exercise/inner spirit/specific features etc. I have a friend who looks matronly all the time. You can't really tell how young she really is until she smiles, LOL :-)

Date: May 19, 2008 12:16AM

I just had a pear/banana/kale smoothie. It was so pretty! And delicious.

I am no longer a GS virgin.

Date: May 19, 2008 01:18AM

something beautiful Wrote:
> I just had a pear/banana/kale smoothie. It was so
> pretty! And delicious.
>
> I am no longer a GS virgin.
Congratulations!! You are now a Member in Good
Standing.
I like to have my Green Smoothies without Fruit (except for
Tomato and Pepper) and my Fruit Smoothies with just Fruit and
Greens.....WY

Date: May 19, 2008 01:26AM

>I don't think youthfulness comes down to just diet anyway

I hope nobody thinks I am picking on Victoria for what I post below. I like to study how people's appearances change as they age because I wish to delay such changes in myself for as long as possible. Raw is only a part of the required lifestyle.

It's partly overweight, partly not being on HRT, and partly UVA damage. Her body would look better if she lost weight, but there is already some laxity in the lower quadrant of her face which would get worse if she lost weight. => try not to ever get overweight as an adult because if you do lose the weight you will have loose skin.

Since she hasn't lost weight, the existing sags are due to UVA which is why I protect my skin and get my D from a pill. Caucasian people can get sags in the face (if not particularly dark skinned intrinsically) just from routine, never mind deliberate exposure, usually starting in the late 40s. The only cure for sags is cutting and stitching.

There are some very nice looking raw women in their 60s but they are African American walking around with built-in SPF 30 and lifelong slenderness and adequate exercise to prevent sarcopenia, staying firm. Storm is also still very attractive for the same reasons.

And also I suspect, but could not prove that these women are using HRT because they still have the 0.7 waist to hip ratio that usually goes out the window after menopause.

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: May 19, 2008 01:26AM

Here's another green smoothie challenge:

[www.rawfu.com]

It's a silly, fun one that was just started by the extremely talented Bunny Berry (quite popular new raw foodist). I absolutely LOVE her! She has an amazing personality. You'll be seeing more of her as the months go by--I don't doubt it!

I like what arugula said about raw gurus--how even if they aren't perfect they are leading their followers to at least think about a better way of eating.

Lots of love to all of you!

Wendi
XOXOXO

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: May 19, 2008 02:10AM

From what I understand, Victoria has had a tough life and been through some very hard times too. I think what everyone goes through in their past has an outcome on their future, especially on the physical side of things, such as health and appearance. Alot can be reversed or renewed, but we can only go so far.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: May 19, 2008 02:37AM

I've pointed out, here, inconsistencies in what people say they eat and what they eat... and that hasn't gone over well. smiling smiley

People want their heroes and gods and celebrities and will protect those willing to claim those positions.

Ridiculous.

There is no guru but the truth. We have our idols and idol worshipers here. They exist symbiotically like parasite and host.

Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: May 19, 2008 02:41AM

arugula Wrote:
> >>
> There are some very nice looking raw women in
> their 60s but they are African American walking
> around with built-in SPF 30
and lifelong
> slenderness and adequate exercise to prevent
> sarcopenia, staying firm. Storm is also still very
> attractive for the same reasons.

This is a common misconception. We do not have built in SPF 30. I wish! I'm American and black and burn badly if I don't protect my skin. Skin cancer is on the rise with black americans and other dark skinned people because they think they are exempt from the UV rays of the sun causing skin damage. We are not and I'd like to blow this untruth out of the water right now. I have medium dark brown skin and I turn mahogany red & peel pretty badly when I get burned.

It is the extra dose of melanin in the skin, hair and eyes that keeps black, brown & olive skinned people looking youthful in varying degrees whether they're healthy or not. That sucks for others who are working hard to regain their health huh? A common expression in the black community is "black don't crack". lol. Seriously though, I'm in my mid 40's and frequently get mistaken for mid 20's. This was the case before I was raw as well. It's nice to be brown for sure. But it's also nice to have the rainbow of colors in the human race...good health will keep us all lookin' good, strong and well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2008 02:50AM by rawangel.

Date: May 19, 2008 02:46AM

tanawana Wrote:
> From what I understand, Victoria has had a tough
> life and been through some very hard times too. I
> think what everyone goes through in their past has
> an outcome on their future, especially on the
> physical side of things, such as health and
> appearance. Alot can be reversed or renewed, but
> we can only go so far.
You are being very Kind. I tend to agree
with Arugula. If you're going to promote Green Smoothies and
the Raw Movement, you should Look-the-Part. I play Duplicate
Bridge at a local Club here. People there know I'm Raw. I have,
on a very small scale, an obligation to uphold. How would it
look if the Wheatgrass Yogi showed up overweight and out-of-shape??......WY

Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: May 19, 2008 02:57AM

I hear what everyone is saying, however I'm thankful and appreciative that Victoria did her hard research, brought forth the information regarding green smoothies to the masses and is dedicated to continuing to raise awareness. Who am I to judge what she looks like? If she's happy and living her life as she sees fit and feels healthy...none of my business. She always appears very centered to me and her audience responds to her well. God bless her for her courage and strength! She gets whacked enough by the SAD & medical community. I offer my support as a raw comrade instead.

All bow in grace to the Green Smoothie. Alright now! :-D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2008 02:59AM by rawangel.

Date: May 19, 2008 03:13AM

"This is a common misconception. We do not have built in SPF 30."

No, not really. I hoped that the reader might surmise that there is a continuum but that the darkest skins have the most protection. Yes of course some "African Americans" have less pigmentation and significant Caucasian ancestry. Victoria is phototype I-II and has very little protection.

"I'm American and black and burn badly if I don't protect my skin. Skin cancer is on the rise with black americans and other dark skinned people because they think they are exempt from the UV rays of the sun causing skin damage. We are not"

The ones who do get the most damage and aggressive skin cancers tend to have significant phototype I-II Caucasian ancestry. At least, this is the case in the textbooks I've read and the pictures of aggressive skin cancers in AAs that I've seen.

"I have medium dark brown skin and I turn mahogany red & peel pretty badly when I get burned."

Mark Naylor says that with the darkest skins it is difficult to see the pigment change, but the pain can be very significant and the most telling indicator.

"It is the extra dose of melanin in the skin, hair and eyes that keeps black, brown & olive skinned people looking youthful in varying degrees whether they're healthy or not. That sucks for others who are working hard to regain their health huh?"

We agree. To have the most pigmentation is to have the opportunity for the most youthful skin while aging despite bad health practices.

"A common expression in the black community is "black don't crack". lol."

This is an informal way of saying SPF 30.

"Seriously though, I'm in my mid 40's and frequently get mistaken for mid 20's. This was the case before I was raw as well. It's nice to be brown for sure."

Yes, you are very fortunate. I am a III-IV Mediterranean, and do pretty well with protection, but my father who was highly exposed has very significant damage at 80. It gives me incentive to keep wearing my visor, among other things.

"But it's also nice to have the rainbow of colors in the human race...good health will keep us all lookin' good, strong and well."

I would like to emphasize that the paler types can still do well with facial aging as long as they protect themselves. But it seems a very common action in the raw community to deliberately seek exposure, not only for D synthesis but also for feelings of well-being. One can take a pill for the D but I don't know of any way to duplicate the good feelings from sunshine. Each person has to decide for him/herself.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 19, 2008 03:15AM

i watched the youtube. she is chunkier than in the past and so is her daughter. i wonder what they are eating that's giving them the pudge? i am and always have been pretty slim and would love putting on a few pounds. it can't be the greens, right? how can blended kale do that?

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: May 19, 2008 03:26AM

our green smoothies are usually banana, pear and English spinach / kale / endive.

Date: May 19, 2008 03:43AM

rawangel Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
> Who am I to judge what she looks like? If she's happy
> and living her life as she sees fit and feels
> healthy...none of my business. She always appears
> very centered to me and her audience responds to
> her well. God bless her for her courage and
> strength! She gets whacked enough by the SAD &
> medical community. I offer my support as a raw
> comrade instead. I do too.....WY

From the Bible, John 8:7 (King James Version):

So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

Posted by: Lanie ()
Date: May 19, 2008 07:03AM

I don't drink green smoothies as much as I'd like to now because they started making me gag. The only reason I do at all is because my digestion really likes them and I like the idea that they're healthy but, blechhh.

The first time I made one I thought it was great...whole head of spinach, several celery stalks and a large sweet apple. Then I made the same one with kale and it was not so great, AT ALL. Very bitter. So I used romaine next time and liked it. But within a couple of weeks the exact same combo, even with the lighter greens and additional sweet veggies like carrots and sugar snap peas, started tasting less and less good to me and then, like I said, gag reflex. Even my original one with spinach that I thought was so yummy yucks me out now. What gives?

Is there a certain ratio of greens to fruit I should be using that will keep my green smoothie palate happy?

~lanie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2008 07:04AM by Lanie.

Date: May 19, 2008 08:12AM

Lol dudes.. back to the point in hand

Drink your greens..drink your smoothies.. get active..have fun!!

Lets not worry what she does or dosent do!!

W Yogi.. love you!! winking smiley

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables