Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
whats wrong with eating fat...?
Posted by: pineapple girl ()
Date: September 28, 2008 06:02PM

i dont eat fat at all, but i was just curious.

as i read through all these topics and posts, i see alot of anti-fat opinions.

i dont eat nuts at all...but i finally "allowed" myself to eat one avocado a few

days ago. i regret that decision, that avocado was so hard to digest and stayed

with me a bit too long.

i do eat some raw salmon or a large steak once a month or less, and i usually regret

that, for the same reason that i just cannot digest this.

but other than that my daily diet consists of: raw pineapple, romaine, salad greens,

tomatos...no nuts or seeds, they are yucky to me and hard to digest.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: whats wrong with eating fat...?
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: September 28, 2008 06:22PM

I find that for me it depends on the type of fat. For example I eat a lot of avocados with no effect to my waistline. I think there is fat in fruits and I also eat lots of fruit with no effect to my waistline. But when I eat fats that are separated away from natural foods like the fats in a bottle then It gets stored right to my waistline as fat. Eating the isolated fats feels like the old saying "a moment on the lips and years on the hips".

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 28, 2008 06:35PM

Mony folks find that high fats (especially processed fats) tend to weigh them down....slow their metabolism....play havoc with their blood sugar.....and encourage retention (and increase) in weight. So: I advise a generous, but consciously chosen level of raw fats in the diet is OK for most. I think no more than 30%. Just my take.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: September 28, 2008 11:08PM

everyone's different
Fat - good sources - are able to provide energy for some, digestive problems for others, you know this could go on etc. forever with different problems or different successes smiling smiley

diet really really depends on who you are and your genes and history annnd experience, i think

i enjoy avocados in around 2 dressings a week (so like one avacado in a week) on a big salad with fruit and some other vegetable. I don't see a difference in digesting. So that's just me. I'm still playing around with diet though. I never look at it as remaining the same till i'm completely happy. grinning smiley

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: September 28, 2008 11:47PM

Fat is the new toxin of our era. According to Michael Pollan's book IN DEFENSE OF FOOD

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: September 29, 2008 11:35AM

I don't like Michael Pollan. He thinks he is so enlightened and he still eats corpses.

Date: September 29, 2008 03:47PM

haha corpses? meat? that's weird then if he thinks fat is a toxin, meat is filled with it

Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: September 29, 2008 05:09PM

well then whoever made humans messed up with the blueprint. seems we need fat and our body is comprised of it - especially for women. if we didn't have fat in our bodies we wouldn't menstruate and it would also screw up our hormones. for guys too. fat is toxic? anything in excess could be considered toxic perhaps - is this what the author meant? this is why i listen to my body above and beyond the experts. it thrives on avocados and healthy raw fats in moderation.

Posted by: dancerinthenight ()
Date: September 29, 2008 06:46PM

Thank you, Raw Angel. Agreed.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: September 29, 2008 07:30PM

I don't see fats as toxic but I do see the toxins stored in animal fats as toxic. I think when a person eats carcass they are getting the animal fats with the toxins stored in that fat. As far as I know plants do not store toxins in fat.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: September 29, 2008 10:39PM

pineapple girl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i dont eat fat at all, but i was just curious.
What's wrong with eating Fat? It depends
on what you want in the way of a Physical Body. Fat
permeates every Cell. People who overeat Fat have a
'soft' look.....even Raw Vegans......WY

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 30, 2008 04:06AM

We all need some fat. But no-one needs fat over 30% of the caloric intake of the diet. And a lot of raw foodists are eating in excess of 60%. I was one of them. And I feel a lot better since lowering my fat intake.

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: September 30, 2008 05:42AM

Eating too much fat makes me feel terrible.

When I am PMSsy I crave it liek crazy (sesame seeds, coconut, cocoa nibs). Why is that?

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: September 30, 2008 06:31AM

Fatty foods allow you to not feel. Their digestion takes so much energy that emotions and feelings can be sedated/suppressed.

Date: September 30, 2008 10:22AM

well, also supposedly omega 3s and other EFAs are good for your brain, too
they also release some sort of natrual endorphine, I'm pretty sure..or trigger it?

it's not bad, fruit does that for me too hahaha

but I'm sure I could find more about it if i googled it

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: September 30, 2008 10:52AM

iLive, yes we need a modest amount of omega3 and omega6 fats, and we need to limit certain other fats for optimal conversion of short-chain omega3 to long-chain omega3.

But I have found no compelling reason to get more fat than what is required, except for cases where people actually need to gain weight--it's easier when there is more fat in the diet because less bulky food is required to reach a given number of calories.

Date: September 30, 2008 11:59PM

Brian, wh would I not want to feel particularly during that time of the month?

I go 3 out of 4 weeks with barely any overt fats. It does not explain why particularly during that time of the month? I welcome being a woman and my cycle, have no emotional quandry with that. I also do not have any physical pains anymore that I would not want to feel, barely a little bloat. Just cravings. PMS cravings. There must be a hormonal link.

These cravings are very different than emotional hunger.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: October 01, 2008 12:52AM

I think you need more fat, protein, and magnesium if you are losing blood.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: October 01, 2008 12:52AM

By "more," I mean more than YOUR usual, and your body will tell you this. I don't mean "excessive."

Date: October 01, 2008 01:18AM

Understood, UL. Could be..

Maybe it is an energetic issue. Females losing energy during menses, and subconsciously the body wants to create balance by demanding food. Similar to a lack of sleep, where we tend to be more hungry (more of a carby hunger there, but still the same idea) to make up for the lack. Anyone successfully tried energy work?

Hope I am not hijacking your thread, P-girl!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 01, 2008 01:29AM

shoot, for the first time in forever this cycle i seriously craved all kindsa sweet stuff, it was crazee! my face got oily, i was sweaty like bananas and i wanted chocolate and ice cream and candy and what-not. wow. thank goodness for dates!

Posted by: pineapple girl ()
Date: October 01, 2008 05:14AM

oh no worries about hijack, i luv when the conversations and the replies get

interesting, thats how i learn.

thanks everyone.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: October 01, 2008 04:49PM

Hi pineapple girl

There's nothing wrong with eating fat, IF it's raw. We NEED at least a little fat in our diets.

There's a LOT of debate as to how MUCH raw fat you should eat, and I'm not going to enter into it here.

Suffice to say that in my first twelve months of raw I ate lots of raw fat (huge percentage probably!), waved goodbye to all sorts of ailments, was on a pretty-much constant 'raw high' and had a wonderful time trying all sorts of 'raw gourmet' treats.

Since then I have experimented with a low-fat raw food diet, and...the jury's out at present.

The problem with worrying too much about what sorts of foods one should or shouldn't eat WITHIN the raw food diet is that it can (note CAN - not saying this applies to everyone) all start to feel too restrictive, and set up feelings of anxiety...which can lead to the whole thing backfiring.

I say have a ball on raw and eat anything you fancy! Perhaps have a low-fat month, then a higher-fat month, or vice versa, and see if you honestly feel any different.

Love

Debbie Took
www.rawforlife.co.uk

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: October 02, 2008 05:26PM

I agree with you Debbie!

During my cycle I crave raw chocolate and raisins! Perhaps my bodies need for iron and magnesium and an emotional need for something sweet and treat like (o;

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: October 05, 2008 09:15PM

I agree with Bryan.

Fat is necessary but not too much i used to eat many avocados a day. I seemed to be ok.But I feel better now, or do I?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2008 09:16PM by suvine.

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: October 05, 2008 09:47PM

Suvine,

I prefer the jackfruit over the coconut but the whole dish looks good never saw a red persimmon.I have a longan tree growing maybe in a year or so It should start producing they are really good better then thier cousin litches.

Cheriomya,

Love Peace and Happiness,

Posted by: ecjames1120 ()
Date: October 11, 2008 11:29PM

So, I had an interesting experience. Maybe it's not so novel to some, but wanted to share. Here goes.

I am incredibly addicted to cashews. Used to be almonds, but now I can eat an obscene amount of cashews in one sitting. I stopped buying them for a while, and was fortunately able to greatly decrease my daily fat intake. I hadn't had a cashew in weeks, but (stupidly) bought a bag today. And, sure enough, I started munching on them like it was my job. Only difference was, before I wasn't raw and now I have TERRIBLE stomach and side cramps from eating so many. Just thinking about how I feel now after eating so much fat (and yes, it was a lot) is enough to deter me from eating any nuts for a long time (or, until I have better self-control.

Posted by: cy ()
Date: October 12, 2008 01:13AM

Hi Ecjames1120,I hear you.I had a similar experience. I was on vacation for a month and I ate only fruits,veggies and grains ,mostly soaked bulgar wheat.Now that I came home I ate some nuts and got very heavy.
I'm very much craving bulgar wheat with my kale.

Date: October 12, 2008 12:10PM

you could just be not used to digesting the avacado; there are fruits that are hard to digest at first too, and especially if you're body gets used to one thing, it has a hard time if you throw something at it right away that's unfamiliar. I don't have a problem digesting avocado, personally.

also, a lot of people on here assume that it is the fat that is hard to digest. No offense to anyone - it could be the fat, but it's just assumption and..no one knows that for sure.
and Well, cashews aren't "addicting" i dont think; i believe they're just easy to eat a lot of because they contain more calories in smaller servings. That means your stomach just feels hungry and .. still hungry while you eat them..because they don't have a ton of fiber to make you feel full. Just like fruit has more sugar then fat, and vegetables have more fiber then sugar and fat (usually). If you're addicted, you basically can't function in regular life without something. If you just like how something tastes, and you eat a lot of it, there's a big difference there. Humans have conscious thought, which can throw people off when talking about diet, i think, that's why it's so hard to find out what's really right for each person. Certain things just shouldn't get a bad rap like they do - it scares people more then it should really. Most food is our friend. You eat it to live, and you can adapt.

Posted by: ecjames1120 ()
Date: October 12, 2008 02:21PM

iLIVE, you're right. I'm not addicted to cashews in that sense. I guess what I should have said is that I have an unhealthy love for cashews and eat far more than I should. Eating too much of anything will make someone sick, but that much fat after eating virtually none for weeks is bound to make the body say, "WTF mate?" Anyway, I've found that since going raw, I feel so much less restrictive in my eating so it's much easier to climb back on the wagon. (Maybe it's because I'm also part of such a supportive forum always ready to give advice and kindness!)

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables