Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw diet affecting menstruation
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 25, 2009 06:33PM

I've been raw now for about 2 months and feel great. The only strange thing is that I've missed my period (I'm about 18 days over due). I've never had this happen before. I had already been eating healthy before raw (vegetarian for 10 years) and I'm a bit worried. I'm definitely not pregnant.

I eat very balanced meals, lots of fruits & greens, moderate amounts of nuts and seeds daily, buckwheat, and some superfoods. I drink tons of herbal tea. I'm also not undereating. I exercise regularly but not over-kill. I've been losing weight but not rapidly (about 6 pounds in 2 months, I'm currently 5' 9" and 145 pounds). I drink green smoothies every morning! Does anyone have any idea of what this could be, or has anyone had anything similar happen? I'm also not under tons of stress, although I did start a new job in January it's certainly less stress than what I was at previously.

If I miss again next month I'll probably go see a doctor... or a natropath.

Thank you for any ideas or similar experiences you may be able to share!

Erin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw diet affecting menstruation
Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: February 25, 2009 06:36PM

My periods stopped after a bit too. Taking a Vitamin B12 supplement started my cycle back up almost immediately.

Good luck.

Patty

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: February 25, 2009 07:07PM

Maybe you have less toxins to rid yourself of?

Date: February 25, 2009 07:18PM

It might be a b12 deficiency (although that seems strange after only 2 months), or someone suggested that my hormones might be adjusting...

I've been looking into taking b12 and d supplements, does anyone have a brand or website they could recommend?

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: February 25, 2009 09:57PM

Most b12 deficiencies are due to absorpability issues, NOT consumption. So you could have a deficiency as an omni, as a vegan, as a lacto-ovo "vegetarian" who eats nothing but cheese and eggs, etc.

Get a sublingual methylcobalamin.

Posted by: kris5194 ()
Date: February 26, 2009 06:54PM

This is s-o-o interesting!! We women were never MEANT to bleed each month!! This is simply a consequence of not eating what we were designed to eat and becoming so toxic our body HAVE to drasticly cleanse the uterus by 'bleeding' out the toxins to keep the womb clean enough to maintain life in case that great event should occur. It IS NOT caused by a B12 deficency....(B12 deficciency is directly caused by nightshade consumption!)...If you are eating a TRULY clean raw diet and not consuming micotoxic foods, raw chocolate, tomatoes (see www.noarthritis.com) fermented foods etc..., you can expect your body to be clean enough within 6 months that you never need 'bother' with a menstrual period again! I have been 100% raw and teaching raw food with a passion for 4 1/2 years and have never had a menstrual cycle the entire 4 1/2 years. I am now expecting my 7th child and this is the most awsome pregnancy I can ever imagine! My youngest is 30 months old and was my first raw pregnancy even though I had not been 100% raw for very long when she was conceived. At the birth and the days following, there was NEVER ONE DROP OF BLOOD!!! Yes, you read that right... I was STUNNED!! I had never heard about that benifit before!...not even any bleeding the week following birth as the uterus returned to it's origanal size...just a light clear liquid occaisionaly as the uterus contracted. I personally have a passion for address female issues and have been studying midwifery, childbirth and women and childrens diets for 14 years. I also have recently opened up an in-nature raw food campground in the hills of Kentucky where poeple can come take classes and learn about raw food and how it effects the body, organic gardening,identifying wild edible plants and off-grid self-sufficient living. we are at this time preparing to offer intensive training classes that poeple can partake of and then become a certified Purity Gardens Health Minister. If you would like to sign up for the summer classes or have more questions e-mail puritygardens@gmail.com

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: February 27, 2009 02:04PM

that's a great story Kris, way to go! I haven't had any children but it bothers me to see what my sisters go through during pregnancy and after the birth... they are so entwined in the medical system... I hate the control pushed upon women... ANYWAY... I just wanted to say Erin that it happened to me too for a couple of years, no menstrual symptoms at all... but they came back... I'm regular as clockwork now... I don't mind really, I think it's quite a magical time... Maybe everyone is different... I have no idea why it happens, or why it doesn't happen, but I just wanted to let you know you're not alone smiling smiley

Date: March 01, 2009 09:18PM

Kris, interesting information! I went to the no arthritis site and wow! There is lots of information there about the nightshades.....and to think I used to make myself eat tomatoes despite not really liking them because I thought it was healthy for me!

If you don't mind, could you please write more about your bloodless birthing experience....I have yet to have children and it's partially due to what I see as the 'horror' (LOL) of child birth. It would be encouraging to know that if I stay on my live food diet (about 95% live now) and continue to improve, that I may not have to endure such pain.

Thanks!

Posted by: kris5194 ()
Date: March 01, 2009 11:38PM

No CJ...YOU DO NOT have to have pain in childbirth! It is personally the most beautiful and exhilerating experiance in your whole life!! Please read the book CHILDBIRTH WITHOUT FEAR available at the library...it takes the "horror" out of childbirth. My first 5 births I had in the peace and safety of my own home and they were very easy using the concepts in the above named book. However,I had a lot of bleeding actually hemmoraging with my first child caused by my rotten diet. I had a very good lay midwife who used herbs to stop the bleeding and I did great! My raw birth was something I never dreamed of!! It wasjust beautiful and not having to deal with any blood during or following the birth was just AWSOME!! I am waiting for my 2nd 100% raw baby in 8 weeks now and am very excited about it!! Here is a quote to remember: YOU CANNOT HAVE PAIN WITHOUT ACID OR ACID WITHOUT PAIN ...I have found this to be true. I have taken cranial sacral training and there IS also the factor of having injuries to the pelvis of which I had very severely. I was in 4 car accidents before my first birth and it can be corrected by a good chiropractor or cranial sacral therapist prior to birth. I took training from a chiropractor named Carol Philips who is the worlds top pediatric chiropractor for woman and children who wrote the book "HANDS OF LOVE"

Date: March 02, 2009 08:12PM

dude, that's an OPINION about menstruation not being "natural" so don't go throwing that around like it's a fact. this has been discussed here so many times over the past 8 yrs that i've been visiting and i've seen ZERO proof that bleeding monthly isn't healthy or natural. in fact, many of the "gurus" will tell you different. Especially after only a short period raw, hello! that's your body telling you that something is out of whack.

i have a great relationship with my period, i don't think it's icky or unpleasant or something i have to deal with every 30 or so days. if you hate your period, it hates you back.

i'll agree with the painfree childbirth though, i had two unassisted and thoroughly gorgeous blissful births. nowhere near the trauma most doctors and midwives threaten you with.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: March 02, 2009 08:23PM

Hi Eirejones and anyone who's interested

I have a fat file of notes of 'opinions' from those who suggest menstruation is not natural, ie it may be 'normal' but it is not 'healthy'.

This will be of interest to anyone whose periods have become scanty/gone AWOL on raw.

Anyone who would like it contact me direct on 'thisgeneration@btinternet.com'.

Date: March 20, 2009 09:42PM

Thanks Kris5194,

I'll certainly look for that book. The thought of a pain free birthing process is giving my hope. My mother had a c-section with me and I just can't see me having to go through the same process.

CJ

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: March 22, 2009 11:47PM

kris, How awesome is that? Thanks so much for sharing. I agree that periods are unnatural. Arnold Ehret in "The Mucusless Diet Healing System" did studies on this. While he didn't ascribe to purely raw vegan, he did ascribe to eating an alkaline diet.

Yours is the first testimony that I've heard of pain-free childbirth so I'm excited to hear that. My periods have gotten less intense as I continue to detox my body and clean up my diet.

Good luck in your mission to bring people into raw veganism.
Therese

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: March 23, 2009 08:32AM

Regarding the painfree childbirth:

My friend did masses of self hypnosis and positive visulisation in the months leading up to her birth. She also did lots of meditation. She has now had 2 fabulous home births that were quick and easy.

Posted by: yemango ()
Date: March 25, 2009 12:18AM

ive noticed since going *mostly* raw 3 months ago, the horrible and intense sadness i used to get right before my period AND before i ovulated are reduced to a light feeling under the weather. just wanted to add that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables