Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Raw Potatos
Posted by: Raw4ever ()
Date: September 07, 2012 08:41AM

Does anyone eat raw potatoes? I tried them once many years ago but I didn't care for them. Since then, I have met people who aren't rawfooders but who tell me they eat raw potatoes so I tried it again. Again, I didn't care for it.

Maybe there is a way; I don't know. What I do know is that the chairman of the biochemnistry department where I went to school told me that potatoes are a good source of protein, not that they have so much but that they have all of the essential amino acids required.

I told someone the other day I tried raw potatoes and they said you can get worms from them. Hmmmm. Has anyone ever heard such a thing? Is there any truth to it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Potatos
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 07, 2012 03:17PM

Raw4ever,

One can get parasites from anything that isn't clean, I suppose, but as any Irishman knows, potatoes with dirt and clay still clinging to them before being prepared for eating are at their peak nutrition, as this coating acts as a "shield" against oxydation and sunlight.

I have only had juiced raw potato, and tolerated it well, but plain raw potato tastes awful, IMO.

Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: September 07, 2012 08:10PM

Let logic dictate what you should and should not eat friend.

Banana sure, raw potato not so much. Doug Graham talks about this in his 811 book. If you want some good, relatively clean complex carbs go with oats. Uncooked oats and raisens with water are great.

Date: September 07, 2012 08:26PM

Thanks Tamukha. I have a question or two: What is the best way to wash produce before eating it? I have scrubbed root veggies with nylon pads though I'm not sure it's the best way or thing to do, and of course, I've peeled them. I've also just eaten them as is. Is soap and water good enough?

WanderRA, logic tells me I can live without raw potatoes! I have never eaten raw oats with raisins or any other soaked grain for that matter. I know Aris Latham isn't a big fan of raw grains. I will give it a try and see what I think.

Posted by: chat ()
Date: September 07, 2012 08:36PM

WanderRA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Let logic dictate what you should and should not
> eat friend.
>
> Banana sure, raw potato not so much.

So where is logic here? smiling smileysmiling smiley

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: September 07, 2012 08:56PM

^ Not sure if trolling. Put a banana and a raw potato in a baby crib, which do you think it will go to?

Date: September 08, 2012 03:28AM

^ No idea what baby in a crib will go for, but what does it have to do with logic? See I'm interested in logical arguments, hence was the question.

Date: September 08, 2012 04:00AM

P.s. it's off-topic of course, but you mentioned it, and I asked, because the answer wasn't evident in your post.

On the subject of raw potatoes though - many plant foods have complete protein, but most of the time it is imbalanced (that is, the proportions of one or the other amino acids are inadequate). There are few exceptions here, but potato doesn't seem to be one of them (it is low in threonine for example). Buckwheat and quinoa on the other hand are both complete and balanced in their protein content. They can be eaten raw when sprouted.

People say raw potato juice is beneficial, just don't remember why, look it up smiling smiley

Date: September 08, 2012 07:59AM

Well, given the availability of amino acids in potatoes, I'll employ a little deductive thinking, aka logic, and surmise that those amino acids are likely present in the juice. Beneficial or not, I think I'll likely opt out!

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: September 08, 2012 11:27AM

Cabbage juices, raw potato juices are big part of my diet, I juice about 10 lb of potato a week. Complete protein, that is a non sense, in the course of a week, various foods are eaten, things balance out. Raw potato is supreme in healing stomach ulcers [blog.jaykordich.com]

Date: September 08, 2012 11:28AM

Complete and balanced protein is not a nonsense, it's a fact, but if the person has a varied diet the chances are things will balance out.

Date: September 08, 2012 01:33PM

Thanks for the link RawPracticalist. Maybe I should give it more consideration.

I listened to a doctor of nutrition the other day who said the protein issue is overstated, that amino acids stay in the body for several days and, in general, adequate intake of protein is not the great concern it is made out to be.

Date: September 08, 2012 02:41PM

chat Wrote:
> Complete and balanced protein is not a nonsense,
> it's a fact, but if the person has a varied diet
> the chances are things will balance out.

We have complete protein foods around us but they are of no use if they cannot be digested, the fruits and hemp seed cannot be properly digested if we have ulcers from many years on SAD.

In those situations which the case for many, the eating of cabbage and potato juices is not for protein but to establish the intestinal balance that has been lost, to prepare us for the foods we should be eating. It is a truth that is known for more than 2000 years, the villagers in the deep forest know it, I have seen my dogs eating grass to health themselves, it is contained in the biblical truth without making this a religious discussion
Ezekiel 47:12 "...Their fruit will serve for food and their leaves for healing.”

Some foods are not for protein but for healing

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2012 02:44PM by RawPracticalist.

Date: September 08, 2012 05:03PM

Raw4ever,

I will merely rinse, scrubbing with my hands, local small farm organic produce, but if it's from a big agricultural concern, I soak the produce briefly in a food grade hydrogen peroxide and water solution--avoiding Hepatitis from farm workers is a good idea. If it's non organic from wherever, I soak it for at least 15 minutes in a combo of water, natural hand dishwashing liquid(I use Ecover) and white vinegar, at a ratio of about 2 parts water to 1 part vinegar--though 1:1 is better--and a few drops soap. I rinse the produce very well after this. I do this because tests run under the auspices of America's Test Kitchen a few years ago found that a white vinegar-water-soap solution is superior to those fancy veggie washes in the grocery produce section.

Date: September 08, 2012 08:05PM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
> We have complete protein foods around us but they
> are of no use if they cannot be digested, the
> fruits and hemp seed cannot be properly digested
> if we have ulcers from many years on SAD.

What you are saying is perfectly fine, but it doesn't make the idea of complete and balanced protein nonsense.

Date: September 08, 2012 11:57PM

Is Banana ice-cream a complete protein?

Date: September 09, 2012 05:49AM

Thanks Tamukha for your clear explanation on how to wash foods. This is something I need to be more attentive to and I will definitely follow your advice. Food grade Hydrogen Peroxide - where do you find it, a health food store?

Date: September 09, 2012 06:05AM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
> Is Banana ice-cream a complete protein?

Depending what you put in it? Remember, the idea is that protein is not only complete, but also balanced.

Date: September 09, 2012 04:50PM

Raw4ever,

Food grade Hydrogen Peroxide - where do you find it, a health food store?

Yes, usually in the cooler where refrigerated probiotics are kept.

Date: September 10, 2012 05:39AM

Tamukha Wrote:
> Raw4ever,
>
> I will merely rinse, scrubbing with my hands,
> local small farm organic produce, but if it's from
> a big agricultural concern, I soak the produce
> briefly in a food grade hydrogen peroxide and
> water solution--avoiding Hepatitis from farm
> workers is a good idea. If it's non organic from
> wherever, I soak it for at least 15 minutes in a
> combo of water, natural hand dishwashing liquid(I
> use Ecover) and white vinegar, at a ratio of about
> 2 parts water to 1 part vinegar--though 1:1 is
> better--and a few drops soap. I rinse the produce
> very well after this. I do this because tests run
> under the auspices of America's Test Kitchen a few
> years ago found that a white vinegar-water-soap
> solution is superior to those fancy veggie washes
> in the grocery produce section.

Farm workers have hepatitis?

Date: September 10, 2012 01:39PM

RawPracticalist,

Not all farm workers have hepatitis, but considering hygiene conditions in the parts of the world from which many of them originate, and the sometimes horrible conditions under which they live here, yes, the prevalence of diseases like Hepatitis isn't lower than in the general population. But the general population isn't touching your lettuce right after going to the bathroom. A good cleansing of storebought produce also destroys other pathogenic contaminants like botulinum and E. coli, so IMO, it's a good first step. Growing your own food is preferable and eliminates the need for such precautions, but not possible for many of us.

Date: September 10, 2012 04:19PM

Good point Tamukha

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: September 10, 2012 07:28PM

<<<Farm workers have hepatitis?>>>

Hepatitis is NOT Contagious, just like AIDS is NOT Contagious and Colds and Flues are NOT Contagious.

What did Louis Pasteur say on his deathbed?

Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: September 10, 2012 10:39PM

As kids, we used to slice raw potatoes and use brown vinegar as a marinate. While very tate, the vinegar cut down on that starchiness of the spuds.

jalan

Date: September 11, 2012 07:32AM

If I may, I'd like to interject on the topic of hepatitis for the purpose of clarification.

The term "hepatitis" is used quite loosely when one considers there are seven strains of this viral infection and though all of these viruses affect the liver, they are transmitted in somewhat different ways. When John Rose says hepatitis is not contagious, he is likely referring to the two common strains, Hep. B and C that are most frequently considered when hepatitis is discussed and even then, the word contagious is applied in a general sense meaning that they are not contagious as a common cold would be.

For the record, B and C are spread in very similar fashion to HIV. however, I think the topic of discussion here is focused on Hepatitis A, a very real concern for those of us who choose to eat uncooked food; Hep A is contagious. That said, all hepatitis is contagious (infectious) but the mode of transmission is a bit different.

Though Hep. A is not as deleterious as Hep B and C, it still can reek havoc on your liver though it is not a lifelong infection and can usually be gotten over within six to eight weeks. Furthermore, someone may be infected and not even show signs or symptoms. Hep A has the undesirable trait of being shared through fecal matter (or for you, chat, faecal matter). It is certainly not foolhardy to take the pains of thoroughly washing fresh produce before ingesting it in order to guard against contraction of Hep A.

I once rather flippantly said to someone that I don't bother to wash my produce before eating it and he cut me off at the pass! His studies were in infection control and he gave me a vivid, though not particularly pleasant, description of working/hygiene conditions on a farm.

Though I like to believe I have a healthy immune system, I conceded and changed my ways.

Date: September 11, 2012 11:22AM

<<<…there are seven strains of this viral infection… …the word contagious is applied in a general sense meaning that they are not contagious as a common cold would be.>>>

There are NO Viral Infections anymore than there are any Bacterial Infections. When you hear the word Infection, think Inflammation - the 4th Stage of Disease.

Dr. Virginia V. Vetrano writes, "Just remember that there are no contagious diseases, just contagious habits which lower your vitality. There have been many people who have had diphtheria and yet no germ could be found. The same can be said of tuberculosis and other diseases. This is why the VIRUS had to be discovered-to save the Germ Theory. Now we have virus infections instead of germ infections because pathologists could not find a germ for all the diseases of mankind. If a germ does not cause disease, what does? Soon everyone will learn that it is the individual's way of life that produces disease and not the saprophytes of earth, which are actually beneficial to us. Without them we would all succumb. They do so many jobs for us that it would take volumes to tell you about them. In fact without bacterial life, all animal and plant life would soon wither and die. On second thought, without bacteria we can't even wither."

Why Antibiotics Seem To Work
By V. Virginia Vetrano, D.C., hM.D., Ph.D. <vvvetrano@rionet.cc>

Antibiotics seem to work because the minute they enter the throat or body, signals are sent all over the organism alerting the cells, special organs and tissues that a toxic substance is on the way, and body cells begin preparing their defense against the invader. Your wonder-body mobilizes so quickly because of the urgent importance of defending good functioning tissues. It is a life saving function.

“Well, I sure got well by taking them,” you may say. “How do you know that the antibiotic did not heal me?” The answer is “because all healing powers reside within the living organism.” I agree with you that your symptoms may disappear and that you may feel better and apparently have more energy after taking antibiotics. But, don’t let appearances fool you. Actually, if one gets well after taking an antibiotic, it is in spite of, rather than because of the drug.

Symptoms disappear because the body is diverting its energies to an emergency situation. It can no longer attend to its healing crisis – whether it be a cold, the flu, or any other acute so-called bacterial disease – and simultaneously continue the daily elimination of metabolic wastes. The emergency takes precedence over the acute disease. We feel energy only in its expenditure just as some people feel rich only when they spend money in a profligate manner. While expending energy defending against antibiotics, we feel stronger because additional physiological and biochemical activities are taking place. In short, the extreme defensive maneuvers of the body are acting like a stimulant. This is another one of those circumstances where the appearance is not the reality. You are expending energy eliminating the antibiotic so you “feel” more energy than you did previously. Your energy is being spent and this is making you feel peppy. But, in the long run, antibiotics will only add to your enervation.

The fact that a person has symptoms means they are so enervated that the body has to get rid of the toxic matter – and soon. Acute symptoms such as a red, irritated and dripping nose, lethargy, weakness, and fever, indicate that one is not only enervated but also that toxicity has built up to the point of a healing crisis. This crisis should not be “cured.” Any such "cure" interferes with the body’s own healing processes, causing the retention of excess toxins which eventually lead to chronic disease of various important organs. If symptoms were not suppressed during infancy and childhood, the adult would be healthier and live longer.

Another reason antibiotics seem to work is that the pharmaceutical companies specify the length of time they should be taken for specific diseases. This is usually based upon how long it takes the average person to “get well” from a particular disease when taking the antibiotic. When you finish taking the prescription, your body has had time to eliminate the primary excess toxins as well as the antibiotic. The medicine actually slowed down your recovery. If you had done nothing, you would have recovered anyway. Nevertheless, often when the prescription is finished your symptoms surface again in a few days. You go back to the doctor and he gives you another prescription. You take it and think you finally conquered those little malevolent “critters.” They are not even “critters” – they are plants.

The word, antibiotic means “destructive to life.” This means that antibiotics are also harmful to your body cells. In the pharmaceutical lab the antibiotic can destroy bacteria, but this does not always extend to the body, because our bodyguard-dogs put up a big fight. Bacterial cell walls are thick and hard, whereas our cell walls are soft and easily damaged and destroyed. The body can’t let this happen, so the guard-dogs lay down their normal work and begin chasing out the antibiotic. We are so convinced that bacteria cause disease that we will do anything to get rid of them, even if it is harmful to us. It's like using a bomb to kill a fly!

Antibiotics are semi-synthetic or completely synthetic compounds. The semi-synthetic ones contain the toxic waste products of either molds or bacteria or both combined with highly toxic petroleum products with a ringed chemical configuration such as found in benzene. The synthetic ones are composed of petroleum products and contain one or more toxic chemical ringed structures also. Both the synthetic and semi-synthetic antibiotics contain many toxic inorganic substances with amino groups attached to them. All antibiotics contain ringed structures in which one or two of the following chemical substances are a part of the ring or attached to it: sulfur, chlorine, fluorine, hydrogen and amino groups. Some have methyl groups that can form a highly poisonous alcohol. The ringed structures are petroleum distillates derived from coal tar. They are all carcinogenic and cause horrendous diseases.

Antibiotics are tops on the list of drugs causing toxic side effects in hospitals: gastroenteritis, colitis, cancer, blood dyscrasias, pernicious anemia, hemorrhaging, leukemia, cancer and anaphylactic shock. With coal tar products in all so-called soft drinks, is it any wonder that our children are getting cancer and other serious diseases earlier and earlier in life?

You must be aware of the fact that the antibiotics takes their toll on your nerve energy, and weaken your organs, damaging many vital areas of the body. After taking them you are even more enervated and more prone to disease than ever before. Living a healthful lifestyle is the way to health.

Peace and Love..........John

PS Louis Pasteur's death bed confession: "The microbe is nothing. The terrain is everything."

Date: September 11, 2012 02:19PM

Right, John, the hepatitis with which my father was infected after being injected with a hypodermic needle that had previously been used on a hepatitis patient and improperly sterilized afterwards, and which eventually caused his liver to fail, killing him, must have all been a medical fiction.

And Typhoid Mary was, too, I suppose. eye rolling smiley

Date: September 11, 2012 02:43PM

Hey Tam,

I have no way of knowing for sure what happened to your father, but if you believe the one Industry that is the #1 Cause of Death in America, you’ve been FOOLED again!!! See Death by Medicine - [www.lef.org]

These few snipetts from my file on Infectious Diseases might help you understand Typhoid Mary a little better…

• Typhoid fever, a slightly different ailment than typhus, involves a Salmonella bacillus that is found in the feces and urine of man. The symptoms are so similar to typhus that the two were not differentiated until 1837. Prince Albert died from typhoid in 1861.*
• *JR Insert: According to Dr. John Tilden in “Toxemia Explained”, Prince Albert died from the drugs (alcoholics stimulants) given to him by the physicians.

A similar chart below it refers to tuberculosis and typhoid from 1900 to 1960, and again the line's a straight slopes downward, and you can see that the epidemics simply ran their course naturally, and are totally unaffected by the vaccination programs, but the medical industry wants you to believe that vaccines are what wipe out diseases and that is totally a bold-faced lie.

If you've never read the book, How To Lie With Statistics, by Daryl Huff, I strongly suggest you do because you will get a much better idea of how you've been tricked.

Now, here is snipett from my file on Plagues…

[www.theplumber.com]
Plagues & Epidemics

The first epidemic of a waterborne disease probably was caused by an infected caveman relieving himself in waters upstream of his neighbors.

Perhaps the entire clan was decimated, or maybe the panicky survivors packed up their gourds and fled from the "evil spirits" inhabiting their camp to some other place.

As long as people lived in small groups, isolated from each other, such incidents were sporadic. But as civilization progressed, people began clustering into cities. They shared communal water, handled unwashed food, stepped in excrement from casual discharge or spread as manure, used urine for dyes, bleaches, and even as an antiseptic.

As cities became crowded, they also became the nesting places of waterborne, insect borne, and skin -to-skin infectious diseases that spurted out unchecked and seemingly at will. Typhus was most common, reported Thomas Sydneham England's first great physician, who lived in the 17th century and studied early history. Next came typhoid and relapsing fever, plague and other pestilential fever, smallpox and dysentery’s-the latter a generic class of disease that includes what's known as dysentery, as well as cholera.

The ancients had no inkling as to the true cause of their misery. People believed divine retribution caused plagues and epidemics, or else bad air, or conjunction of the planets and stars, any and all of these things.

Ignorance ain’t bliss! How else to explain healthy people suddenly falling dead within hours and soldiers struck down with no signs of wounds? What else would cause such excruciating deaths, accompanied by delirium or hallucination, the body wracked by yellow or green or black vomit or excreta; or covered with obscene black boils, terrible red rushes or ghastly blue pallor? Why else would such sickness remain for months, then leave suddenly and not reappear till years later? Or perhaps it was replaced by a plague more deadly.

Hippocrates, the "Father of Medicine" who lived around 350 B.C., recommended boiling water to filter out impurities - those particles that pollute its sweet taste, mar its clarity or poison the palate.

[www.theplumber.com]

***There’s more to this article, so go to link if you are so inclined.

Indeed, it is time to heed the words of T. H. Huxley, “Sit down before fact like a little child, and be prepared to give up every preconceived notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.”

Date: September 13, 2012 12:09PM

Hey Tam,

The same thing that is Causing AIDS is the same thing that is Causing Hepatitis - DRUGS!!! In T. C. Fry's book, "The Great AIDS Hoax" he says, "They (CDC) dismantled syphilis back in the late 70's and reintroduced it thusly:

1) The first stage of syphilis was introduced as herpes genitalis.
2) The second stage of syphilis which has been medically termed lyphadenopathy, was, after AIDS was already introduced as AIDS-Related Complex.
3) The tertiary stage of syphilis was reintroduced as AIDS in 1981.
4) The quaternary stage of syphilis called neurosyphilis, was reintroduced as AIDS dementia.

In "The Science and Fine Art of Fasting", Vol. lll of Vll, Copyright 1978, Herbert Shelton on page 358 said, "The value of fasting in the conditions labeled "syphilis" is beyond dispute. Nothing is more effective in the so-called primary and secondary stages. It is valuable also in the tertiary stage; but as this stage is due to DRUGS, its value is often less apparent."

It is the DRUGS they gave your father that probably KILLED your dad, just like it was the DRUGS that KILLED Prince Albert. Once again, we CANNOT Trust the one Industry that is the #1 Cause of Death in America!!! See Death by Medicine - [www.lef.org]

Date: September 13, 2012 02:59PM

No, John. He and several other patients at an army infirmary were diagnosed when they all presented with classic hepatitis symptoms simultaneously over the course of one week. The common factor was that they had all been given plain penicillin--de riguer at that time--via injection for minor wounds and administered using syringes that all turned out to be from a batch infected with hepatitis from use on a hepatic patient. This spate was traced to the infirmary autoclave, which was malfunctioning without anyone's noticing it. And I will just preclude your stating that this was some nefarious government hepatitis experiment by saying that this is not likely because it was immeditely disclosed to the patients, who were given top-notch treatment(they all went into remission quickly), it was documented by the base, and restitution was made to the families without any legal action being necessary. It was all pretty cut and dry, according to documents I have.

My dad was drug free before this happened. Not so much as aspirins.

Pages: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables