Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw food on bike tours in remote areas?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 17, 2009 11:56PM

Hi everyone,

i'm new to the board but it's been two straight months on virtually 100 percent raw fruits and vegetables with nuts and seeds and sprouts and i feel absolutely wonderful. i see no reason why i can't sustain this diet indefinitely.

now the problem. i've been visiting the organic produce store very, very, very frequently since i began. in july, i'll be taking an extended bicycle tour with my two sons through the south west desert. They are not raw fooders, but I would like to continue to be throughout this trip so I don't have to start all over again.

is this a hopeless endeavor, or are there some possibilities?

thanks,
dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw food on bike tours in remote areas?
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: May 18, 2009 12:32PM

Wow, that sounds great.. dates make a good travel food and have lots of glucose for quick energy, but are very very low in sodium (1mg/100g) [www.nutritiondata.com] so you'd need to make sure your electrolytes are taken care of with a pinch of salt in your water or by other foods.

..melons are coming in season and would be nice to find at a farmstand hydration 'pitstop', again Watermelons are very low in sodium.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2009 12:39PM by loeve.

Posted by: marsh ()
Date: May 18, 2009 12:46PM

you can try bringing some lightweight, denser types of foods like dried fruits and nuts to hold you over until you can get to a produce market. that should keep you satisfied for hours.

Posted by: scottiethomas ()
Date: May 18, 2009 12:47PM

ha!

im so glad you asked this! i too am venturing out on a bicycle tour in june that should last around 3 weeks. this tour will cover the natchez trace, from natchez louisiana to bowling green kentucky and then tennessee. though i have not gone 100% raw yet, i am beginning my indefinite juice fast today and then raw foods afterwards.

Even with the trip, i feel this is the right time to cleanse and make the transition. i have given a lot of thought to how i could maintain a raw food diet or if i would want to on the trip. ive been told by my fellow tour cyclers that peanut butter is the best endurance food... who knows.

nutrition data is a neat site! and i do love me some dates...

the best of luck to you dave, and let me know if you have any ideas or updates, i would love to hear!

blessings

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 18, 2009 08:36PM

id probably hang a bunch of bananas from the end of each handlebar to ripen in the sun while i ride .. of course you would have to eat one from each side to keep the balance smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: sgc ()
Date: May 19, 2009 07:04AM

It all depends if you can buy food along the way or not. If you have to carry your food, you should go for lightweight food, such as dates and seaweed (rince them to avoid extra salt) during the day, and if you feel like it, nuts in the evening.
I remember a story about an arabic town being under siege for months and sustaining only on dates and water.

Raw Fruit Festival
[www.raw-fruit-festival.net]
Health, Fitness and Fasting Retreats in Spain
[www.fit-in-nature.net]

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: May 19, 2009 01:54PM

I did a trip in 87 from FL. to CO. in the U.S. of course. We did it on mountain bikes and it was a trip to remember, but I was not a raw foodist at the time. I will say that dried foods are going to be your best choice and of coarse raw nuts. I would have to guess though, that fruits are going to be a little to sweet for the hot climate, maybe that depends more on your body if you can handle it. I would use dehydrated sprouted wheat,nuts, greens for quick energy, cooked grains in the morning. No need to make your self crazy trying to be 100% raw on such a trip. Don't go crazy on fruit, to many newbies do, its not healthy unless you have a very strong young body.

Note: I am searching for a place to stay in Delray Beach FL. or close to, somthing cheap. Thanks hope that helped

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 25, 2009 08:57PM

I am not responding well to anything more than handfuls of nuts.
even live hemp seeds are something i can take only in small quantities.

however, i have just discovered that i can handle both raw garlic and ginger,
when mixed with some low temp dried seaweed and an avocado, it makes a delicious dressing on salads with almost any vegetable in them.

i'll probably be carrying loads of seaweed, ginger and garlic (with a smattering of nuts and seeds) to supplement my main stays: fresh fruit and fresh vegetables. i'm not sure if i'll be able to get organic veggies as i pedal, but I'll just have to take it as it comes.

thank you all for your assistance and suggestions.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: May 25, 2009 10:14PM

There may be foods you can forage like weeds and things that are edible.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables