Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

brand new to all this, got some questions!
Posted by: evolve ()
Date: June 15, 2009 02:27PM

Howdy all! I am very new to even the concept of a raw foods diet, but am also very intrigued by it. There is one question that is really bugging me, and please forgive me if I am showing my ignorance here, or if this question has been answered elsewhere on the site, but how on earth do you get enough protein in your diet eating in this way? I admit that I am biased because I have been in and out of a body-building lifestyle/diet for a few years, and that sort of diet requires large amounts of protein. I can see enormous benefits from the raw approach, but I would think that to do it properly, there would not be any practical way to be a bodybuilder at the same time? Sorry if my vanity is too transparent here, but this question is probably the biggest impediment to me going on this sort of diet. Thanks for any feedback.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: brand new to all this, got some questions!
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: June 15, 2009 03:22PM

All foods have protein in them.

You need to do weight resistance exercises to build and maintain muscle, along with enough fuel for your body to build itself.

Fruit is a good start, along with greens.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 15, 2009 06:00PM

I'd refer you to the Vegan Bodybuilding website & forum...they have a lot of experience with vegan sources of protein and muscle aiding foods. It's really more important to exercise consistently and do lots of weight training to define your muscles, rather than eat copious amounts of protein. Too much protein is very taxing on your body, anyway.

Most of the people that are vegan bodybuilders (on that forum, at least) eat a lot of nuts, seeds, raw protein powders and green supplements.

Date: June 15, 2009 07:20PM

Thanks everyone.

Posted by: suzie08022 ()
Date: June 15, 2009 07:52PM

I found this link that has a raw vegan meal plan for bodybuilders.
[www.veganbodybuilding.com]

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: June 15, 2009 09:25PM

[www.living-foods.com]

Scroll down the page to the second to the last question.

Date: June 15, 2009 10:56PM

Thanks for all the help everyone. I've been reading about this stuff pretty much all day and I am so intrigued by it! I really want to give this a try (eating raw) for awhile to test it out for myself. Can anyone point me in the direction of some good literature for getting started with this kind of diet? I saw somewhere that it isn't good to just go raw overnight, that it can be hard on your system, etc. Any tips for the transition? Thanks again.

Also is anyone familiar with a guy named Markus Rothkranz? He seems to be a huge promoter of the raw foods diet, but he seems kind of sensationalistic also, so I just wondered if anyone knew much about him, if he's credible or not. Thanks.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: June 15, 2009 11:05PM

evolve

I saw somewhere that it isn't good to just go raw overnight, that it can be hard on your system, etc. Any tips for the transition?

Here's an article about that titled: "Feature Article: How Raw? How Soon?" [www.rawforlife.co.uk]

Posted by: Gmq ()
Date: June 16, 2009 02:00AM

It's the amino acids in proteins that you need for growth, so when you consume a significant amount of greens/seeds/etc. you're actually getting even more of what you need than if you're eating a steak. Search "protein myth" on youtube, I believe that video explains it briefly.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: June 16, 2009 04:53AM

dont be scared of the old protein myths..jump in and try..what have you got to loose?

my oh used to compete competitively, he has gone from 12st to 15st vegan ..trains like a machine and is cut.. its doable!!

do your reading! Check out veganbodybuilding also thrive diet..although I dont agree with eating tofu/soy..it may be a nice point for you from a bodybuilding point of view..a starting point

Anyways all the best with it!!

Posted by: lawofattraction ()
Date: June 16, 2009 09:08PM

i hear hemp is a high source of raw protein...i love it in smoothies...so nutty

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables