Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
H1N1 (swine flu) HELP
Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: October 19, 2009 08:35PM

I just got back from the doctors, I have a bad case of swine flu. It hit me with both respiratory and digestive problems. I've only been able to sip water for the last nine days. Now the doctor says if I can't rehydrate and get some calories in me, he is going to hospitalize me.

The doctor wants me to drink gateraide, and the broth of a cooked bird. (no way!) So I need a raw alternatives. I have no energy, I cant seem to keep any juiced fruits or veggies down.

I found one young coconut at a local store, is that a good idea?

I also just had shoulder surgery a two weeks ago, so making juices is very hard and painful.

Any ideas for this sick and gimpy long term raw foodist?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: H1N1 (swine flu) HELP
Posted by: musicbebe ()
Date: October 19, 2009 09:06PM

Young coconuts would be an excellent idea. Call your local store and have them order you a case. Have a friend or relative bring them in your home for you. They are full of natural electrolytes. I ordered cases of young coconuts every week when I was recovering from a large amount of blood loss after childbirth. Mine were not organic, but I still really benefited from them. They will provide calories too. My husband cracked them open for me, 3 at a time and filled a mason jar for me. Then I poured servings from the jar. Maybe someone can do this for you too, if you feel too weak to get into those coconuts. Sometimes he scraped the young flesh and I'd eat that too if I could stomach it.

Just curious--did you get a flu vaccine before experiencing this current illness?

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: October 19, 2009 09:56PM

CHARCOAL SLURRY WATER !!! Get Activated Charcoal in powered form (most health food stores will carry it). Mix 2-3 heaping tablespoons of the powder into a large glass of pure water and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes. Sip down the water after the powder has settled to the bottom. Keep adding water to the mix. As you can handle it, mix up the slurry and drink more and more of the powder mixed ito the water. The charcoal will absorb the virus and the toxins from the infection and will help settle your stomach. Don't panic if your stool turns black from the charcoal. I know this is not RAW, but in a crisis situation, charcoal is one of the BEST remedies for just about anything.

Another RAW remedy is cabbage juice - made & drank FRESH. Just make sure the cabbage is organic. Read up about the powerful healing properties of cabbage and cabbage juice - antiviral, antibacterial, and a plethora of other healing benefits. Plus, the juice will help replenish your electrolytes. You can certainly dilute this with water as well.

I'm sure others will have great suggestions as well. Hang in there. You WILL pull through this, especially because you are already taking such good care of your health. Keep us posted.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: October 19, 2009 10:23PM

Excellent ideas, plainlydressed!

I just recently listened to a 2 hr. podcast about the amazing benefits from activated charcoal (& Calcium Bentonite Clay). Amazing stuff! Interesting that man & all his science can't duplicate the simple things that God put on this earth for healing/health.

swimmer, I am curious; if I may ask, what is your age? Reason is - is that the CDC/drs./other are saying that this flu strain is striking young/middle age adults.

plainlydressed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CHARCOAL SLURRY WATER !!! Get Activated Charcoal
> in powered form (most health food stores will
> carry it). Mix 2-3 heaping tablespoons of the
> powder into a large glass of pure water and let it
> sit for about 5-10 minutes. Sip down the water
> after the powder has settled to the bottom. Keep
> adding water to the mix. As you can handle it,
> mix up the slurry and drink more and more of the
> powder mixed ito the water. The charcoal will
> absorb the virus and the toxins from the infection
> and will help settle your stomach. Don't panic if
> your stool turns black from the charcoal. I know
> this is not RAW, but in a crisis situation,
> charcoal is one of the BEST remedies for just
> about anything.
>
> Another RAW remedy is cabbage juice - made & drank
> FRESH. Just make sure the cabbage is organic.
> Read up about the powerful healing properties of
> cabbage and cabbage juice - antiviral,
> antibacterial, and a plethora of other healing
> benefits. Plus, the juice will help replenish
> your electrolytes. You can certainly dilute this
> with water as well.
>
> I'm sure others will have great suggestions as
> well. Hang in there. You WILL pull through this,
> especially because you are already taking such
> good care of your health. Keep us posted.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: October 19, 2009 10:50PM

swimmer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any ideas for this sick and gimpy long term raw
> foodist?
Stay away from doctors, and Water Fast.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: October 19, 2009 11:37PM

Hi swimmer
So sorry you're so sick. You know if they admit you the first thing they'll do is put you on a saline IV??? Head em off at the pass I say and take the doctor's advice about the sports drink or if you like concoct your own. WebMD has a 'gatorade' substitute recipe --

"Measure all ingredients precisely. Small variations can make the drink less effective or even harmful. Mix the following:

1 quart (950 mL) water
½ teaspoon (2.5 g) baking soda
½ teaspoon (2.5 g) table salt
¼ teaspoon (1.25 g) salt substitute (potassium-based), such as Lite Salt or Morton Salt Substitute
2 tablespoons (30 g) sugar

[www.webmd.com]

A date might work for the sugar? Dates are real simple - glucose and fructose.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 20, 2009 02:20AM

As long as you are not severely underweight, malnourished, or have some other serious condition....my suggestion is that you juice, eat very lightly.....or not at all....and see if your condition improves after 3 days. Often the body reduces appetite when ill...and for good reason. Just my experience.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: October 20, 2009 04:22AM

Thank you all very much. I don't have the energy to respond to everyone yet, maybe tomorrow.

The coconut water helps. I had the water from 3 coconuts today, and it stayed down. I got my brother to buy a case for me. I'm going back to bed, I'll just sip water throughout the night again, and have more coconut water in the morning.

This is scary, I can't believe I got so dehydrated.

Anyway, thanks again, goodnight.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 20, 2009 12:56PM

swimmer,

Keep at it with the coconut water. Everyone's suggestions about staying hydrated and handling this yourself rather than submitting to the doctor's heavy-handedness are great. I will only add: get well soon!

Posted by: musicbebe ()
Date: October 20, 2009 01:58PM

So glad to hear the coconut water is working for you! Young coconuts were used to give blood transfusions in some war ( I forget which one, but you can look it up), because it is sterile and almost identical to blood plasma. It is full of potassium and other electrolytes and many raw athletes use them as an electrolyte drink substitute. I hope you feel better soon. I am praying for you!

Date: October 20, 2009 03:44PM

That's great that you were able to get young coconuts so quickly and are keeping them down. I've still never seen one in my remote northern locale, though we get plenty of fresh mature ones with good tasting water.

World War II is when they were used as an emergency IV solution. Since then they've been studied formally and found to be a suitable IV in an emergency situation.

I'm amazed coconut water has so much sodium (252mg/cup) -- I mean that's great considering most raw fruits and veggies have sodium in small amounts, except for some veggies like celery, carrots and kale and some fruits like cantaloupe.

[www.nutritiondata.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2009 03:56PM by loeve.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: October 20, 2009 09:45PM

You never said what you where taking for the H1N1

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 20, 2009 11:21PM

It could be you are sick because your body is detoxing all the medications (or poisons) that were necessary for you to take when you had your shoulder surgery. Its a shame that your doctors are blaming it on the swine flu, as there really is no such thing. The swine flu as the media and doctors define it, which is a strain of virus that mutated and transcended species is a bunch of nonsense (or magical thinking, as kwan might put it). I suspect the reason that so many people die in hospitals is because of being poisoned by medications, rather than the initial thing that brought them to the hospital.

Coconut water is a good alternative to gatorade. Also just blending a banana in a bunch of water, making it very watery will be a good replacement for electrolytes.

Lots of rest and sleep, and eating only if you are feeling hungry will help you heal from your poisoning.

If you go into the hospital to be put under observation, expect the following: 1) you will have to give your power away to the doctors, and 2) you may not come out alive.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 23, 2009 05:03AM

I agree with point A though that second thought is a bit alarmist... it's just a bit of time doing something out of the ordinary if it happens. being healthy helps you to recover from sickness as well as the "cure" so never fear.
so good for you Swimmer mah man, best thing to do has already been done, seeking answers and coming here for support. My thoughts and prayers are with you, got a candle right over there that i'll light in a sec and send my good vibes your way. be well my friend and remember that this too shall pass. it's just the flu and you are strong and healthy despite it all. blessings to you brother.

Date: October 23, 2009 02:35PM

How are you feeling lately? Anything new? How goes the hydration? Hope you are hanging in there and we're praying for you. =)

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Date: October 23, 2009 03:04PM

i just got this in an email, pretty interesting!

In 1919 when the flu killed 40 million people there was this Doctor that visited the many farmers to see if he could help them combat the flu.

Many of the farmers and their family had contracted it

and many died.

The Doctor came upon this one farmer and to his surprise, everyone was very healthy. When the Doctor asked what the farmer was doing that was different the wife replied that she had placed an unpeeled onion in a dish in the rooms of the home, (probably only two rooms back then).

The doctor couldn't believe it and asked if he could have one of the onions and place it under the microscope. She gave

him one and when he did this, he did find the flu virus in the

onion. It obviously absorbed the bacteria, therefore, keeping the family healthy.

Now, I heard this story from my hairdresser in AZ. She said that several years ago many of her employees were coming down with the flu and so were many of her customers. The next year she placed several bowls with onions around in her shop. To her surprise, none of her staff got sick. It must work. (And no, she is not in the onion business.)

The moral of the story is, buy some onions and place them in bowls around your home. If you work at a desk, place one or two in your office or under your desk or even on top somewhere.

Try it and see what happens. We did it last year and we never got the flu.

If this helps you and your loved ones from getting sick, all the better. If you do get the flu, it just might be a mild case.

Whatever, what have you to lose? Just a few bucks on onions!

Date: October 23, 2009 04:55PM

Thank you everyone!

I'm doing better now.

The coconut water really saved my life! I also started drinking very watery smoothies using bananas and papayas.

musicbebe, I was just drilling a hole into the coconut to get the water, but I think I'm ready to eat today, so, I'll have my brother crack them after I drain the water. I have some flesh today with some papaya.

plainlydressed and juicerkatz thank you, that idea is really worth looking into. But I was puking so much, I could not bring myself to try it. I'm in my late forties, not the age group that should worry, but I have a pre-existing condition, read my response to Bryan. smiling smiley

Wheatgrass Yogi, The problem was I could not keep any water down, I became so dehydrated that if you pinched my skin on my arm, the skin did not return, it lost it's elasticity, this is a very dangerous point in dehydration, where it effects basic motor and brain functions. I got scared, and needed both the advice from this board, and a professional evaluation. Otherwise I agree with staying away from docs.

leove, Thanks for the 'gatorade' substitute recipe. I saved it. As s raw foodist, hold salts in my body, so I'm always looking for ways to replenish sodium, chloride and potassium.

David, my activity has been severely curved the last 20 months while I waited for surgery to be approved. (workers comps sucks), so I could afford to lose the weight that I dropped. That part was a good thing.

Date: October 23, 2009 05:32PM

Thank you everyone!

I'm doing better now. Still sick, but better!

The coconut water really saved my life! I now also started drinking very watery smoothies using bananas and papayas.

Tamukha, thank you!

musicbebe, I was just drilling a hole into the coconut to get the water, but I think I'm ready to eat today, so, I'll have my brother crack them after I drain the water. I'll have some flesh today with papaya.

plainlydressed and juicerkatz thank you, that idea is really worth looking into. But I was puking so much, I could not bring myself to try it. I'm in my late forties, not the age group that should worry, but I have a pre-existing condition, read my response to Bryan. smiling smiley

Wheatgrass Yogi, The problem was I could not keep any water down, I became so dehydrated that if you pinched my skin on my arm, the skin did not return, it lost it's elasticity, this is a very dangerous point in dehydration, where it effects basic motor and brain functions. I got scared, and needed both the advice from this board, and a professional evaluation. Otherwise I agree with staying away from docs.

leove, Thanks for the 'gatorade' substitute recipe. I saved it. As s raw foodist, require added salt in my diet, I'm the guy who fights about salt on the board, so I'm always looking for ways to replenish sodium, chloride and potassium.

David, my activity has been severely curved the last 20 months while I waited for surgery to be approved. (workers comps sucks), so I could afford to lose the weight that I dropped. That part was a good thing.

rzman10001, I took no drugs, my doctor knows me better then that. He offered a cough medicine, but I'd rather let the cough do its thing.

Thanks coco, I needed the healing energy and prayers! I value your friendship more then you know. That onion story is fascinating!

Bryan, thank you for the suggestions. While I'm sure my immune system was made week by the pain meds, but I doubt the other member of my family who got sick were effected by my meds. I've researched in detail viruses before. Simply put, they are genetically programmed to survive, they do that by moving from host to host. It's how they work. Fascinating little things really! I does not matter what label they put on it, my body has been invaded by a living entity that does not belong, and it will propagate and fight to survive. The body's reaction to that invasion are what we call symptoms. There is a history of viruses mutating and crossing species. But your opinions mean a lot to me, thank you. The watery bananas really helped!

Bryan, I do have a so called "pre-existing" condition that makes something like this more dangerous for me. It's called selective IgA deficiency. It is a genetic condition where I'm missing vital component of blood serum. It effects the body in many ways, and explains the various health problems we have discussed though the years I've been on this board. I was diagnosed last year, my condition is symptomatic, and one of the symptoms is a week immune system. IgA deficiency is in a family of conditions known as "Primary immune deficiencies". So while I do not wish to use doctor, or give them control of my body, I have to always be aware that "colds" or the "flu" have potential of doing me real harm.

Thank you all for your suggestions and positive energy. I know I don't post much anymore, so I'm all that much more greatfull for your help!

Back to bed now...

Date: October 23, 2009 05:54PM

Horray!! I'm so glad you are doing better!! Rest up and show the world how strong you are!! =)

Coco, that onion remedy is centuries-old. My aunt was suffering from cellulitis (Severely obese, NOT vegetarian, and doesn't even follow alternative medicine health practices) and applied chopped onion in a sock to the bottoms of her feet at night and shocked her doctor when the outbreak healed up so fast. Shocked us ALL actually, because of her obesity and poor health, including borderline diabetes. The soles of the feet absorb (and excrete) faster than anywhere else on the body, which is why many people apply essential oils, garlic, and other healing remedies to the feet.

Just an additional tid-bit of why the onions worked so well. I might have to try that, although I can't use it at work, even though I'm surrounding by sick patients all day. I'm sure my patients and coworkers would not appreciate the onions sitting around. *LOL* HEY !! Maybe I could get a BABY ONION and hide it in my pocket all day?? Do you think that would start to stink after awhile? Hmmmm....... Me is thinking.......

—Thomas Jefferson

Date: October 23, 2009 07:00PM

Sorry for the double post and typos! I'm still really out of it!

Date: October 23, 2009 09:05PM

coco -

that is some really neat info.! That is why I love this place. Each person has great info. to contribute & that onion thing is something that I have never heard of before, & I have done ALOT of reading/study in alternative medicine & the like.

Now to get technical; you say an UNPEELED onion...do you remove the brown skin or do you leave that intact?

Since I actually like the smell of onions, I would be tempted to peal some layers off for the aroma!

Wonder if there is a similar use for garlic? Other than warding off vampires...lol

Date: October 23, 2009 10:52PM

i dunno, it said unpeeled but i'm pretty sure taking off some of the crackly skin would be alright...

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: October 24, 2009 05:30PM

ive had the flu for 2 days now and i cant tell you how many people have offered chicken soup or asked me if i had chicken soup lol

its like they have entirely forgot i dont eat chickens tongue sticking out smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: October 24, 2009 05:39PM

I get that all the time, Jodie! Only mine is "fish"; Every year at Christmas my in-laws ask me if I like fish...I've only been a vegan for 15 + years, which they are well aware of...Oh well... :-0

Anyway, I know it is cliche, but get well fast! You know all the right stuff to do.

Posted by: deafdrummer ()
Date: October 24, 2009 09:36PM

I hve not been sick since last October, the time when I strove to get refined oils out of my dietary. It's the first time I've gone through a year without getting sick with the cold or a fever.

You might want to get ALL refined oils (cooking oils and oils found in snacks and premade foods) out of your system to see if that's a culprit for me.

Stephanie

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: October 25, 2009 12:31AM

>The swine flu as the media and doctors define it, which is a strain of virus that mutated and transcended species is a bunch of nonsense (or magical thinking, as kwan might put it)<

Haha! I guess I do use that phrase quite a bit, Bryan. ;-)

Swimmer, glad you're on the mend.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: October 28, 2009 01:10AM

How are you feeling now my friend? Hope it's terrific!

Date: October 28, 2009 07:16PM

Doing better now, thanks coco and kwan!

My fever broke Monday, and now I only need to sleep about 14 hours a day instead of the 20+ I was sleeping last week.

The hardest part is re-hydrating. I'm drinking water, juice, lots of coconut water and eating juicy fruits, but still having problems. Yesterday, I got back enough of a brain to realize that I have not been adding salt. (not good for me) So I started adding salt to drinks and have been retaining fluids better. My skin got so dry, I thought I would shed it like a snake!

I'm having a salad for lunch, with lots of greens, sprouts, tomatoes, and some avocado. It's good to have a real meal! I'm hoping the fat from the avo will help my skin and chapped lips.

It's good to be getting over this!

Date: October 28, 2009 09:18PM

yay! good news, you're on the mend. Feel better soon, still sending you positive healing vibes...

~~~ positive healing vibes~~~

Date: November 01, 2009 11:10AM

Swimmer,
So glad you're feeling better. On the subject of rehydrating, I looked around and found out a little about 'oral rehydration therapy', and why salts and sugar (glucose or galactose) are used for WHO and UNICEF home preparations, also physiological aspects and ancient remedies (rice water, coconut juice, carrot soup). Coconut water has plenty of sodium, potassium and enough sugar.... kept asking myself 'why the sugar?', haha.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Edit: By the way, I'm all for adding salt as needed or to taste.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2009 11:22AM by loeve.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables