Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw potatoes?
Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: December 14, 2011 11:16PM

what are your thoughts on this? is it ok to eat potatoes (of all kinds) raw?

new potatoes, sweet potatoes etc..

I want to increase my starch as per the Dr McDougall approach.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw potatoes?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 15, 2011 02:49AM

I would trust my mouth on this one and I can definitely say that fresh raw potatoes are NOT tasty. Yuck.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: December 15, 2011 06:05AM

If you want to eat starch, its probably best to cook it. If you want something potato like that you can eat raw, try celery root or parsnips or jerusalem artichokes (sunchokes).

Date: December 15, 2011 07:09AM

I find grated raw sweet spud ok, and tastes good too. I used to eat slices of raw white spud soaked in vinegar, which had an unusual but acceptable flavour. Otherwise, I'd semi cook it if I wanted starch. McDougall has some great info on his site, and it's also backed up by cited references.

Posted by: Diogenez ()
Date: December 15, 2011 09:56AM

starches are way better cooked surely and at that avoided unless it is all you got.

my mom eats raw potatoes but she 'kim chis' them as well as other tubers and squash

life vs lifelessness

Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: December 15, 2011 11:11AM

Cool, thanks!

What would be a good raw source of starch?

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: December 15, 2011 12:06PM

I use about 1/4 of a yam in my juices per day.
I find nothing objectionable about the taste.
Vinny

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: December 15, 2011 12:13PM

Raw potato juice is supreme for stomach ulcers, constipation, and general health of the colon. If you are not drinking potato juice, you are missing out.[guide2herbalremedies.com]

Date: December 15, 2011 12:18PM

what about the fibre content RawPracticalist?

referencing back to my mom (i know it gets old but she made me this way as a student of ann wigmore and the natural hygiene movements) she always strains out her smoothies .. for me i say heck double my fibre and put the extra 'pulp' in mine!

life vs lifelessness

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 15, 2011 01:16PM

White[conventional potatoes]--juiced with something that can mask their flavor Sweet potatoes--however you tolerate them, juiced or shredded

If I feel like something starchy, which is rarely, I just have plain boiled potatoes or plain boiled rice. I juiced raw potato fairly often in the past, and found I didn't tolerate it well over time, even in combo with other things. First time I ever experienced gout symptoms from potatoes sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2011 01:17PM by Tamukha.

Date: December 15, 2011 02:05PM

you mean Brown rice yes? and what are your views on Quinoa and the non gluten grains. and surely you know about boiling protecting the transformation of starch to acrylamide?

ever since going 1005 lfrv i can def tell when i eat cooked food how i feel different (overworked/tired) and just one look at the stool...

life vs lifelessness

Date: December 15, 2011 11:24PM

I think to keep the eating of raw white spud to a minimum, as I too, find myself feeling abit off after eating or drinking too much of the juice. A friend said that raw white potato contains some kind of poison. Does anyone know anything about that???

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: December 16, 2011 01:07AM

white potatoes that have greeen spots contain solanine .. which is toxic [en.wikipedia.org]

dont juice white potatoes with green spots you will feel sick for certain

i regularly use a 1/4 white potato in my juices as it has alot of good properties too

google raw potato and arthritis

Health Benefits of Raw Potato Juice

May 19th 2008 Posted to Raw Juice Therapy

Potatoes were cultivated in the mountains of Peru for thousands of years, and were thought to have many medical benefits.

Potato contains high nutritive value. It is a rich source of potassium, vitamins A B and C, calcium, carbohydrates, iron, and alkaline salts.

The potato skin is the most nutritious part of the potato.

Health Benefits of Raw Potato Juice
•Raw potato juice has anti-inflammatory properties and helps eliminate an acid condition.
•It is good for stomach ulcers, as well as other stomach disorders.
•Raw potato juice fasting have been commonly used in treatment of rheumatoid arthritis since World War II. It is recommended to dilute potato juice with lukewarm water.
•Raw potato juice is a good liver cleanser if taken in the morning 30 minutes before breakfast.

Never juice a green potatoes or potatoes with black spots, as it may cause a toxic effect.

Due to its taste, raw potato juice is great for mixing with other vegetable juices, e.g. carrots, radishes, cucumbers, etc

well its not too novel apparently its a old time gypsy folk remedy hehe i dont juice enough of it to really even taste it its also apparently chockfull of chlorogenic acid, which helps prevent cell mutations that lead to cancer... supposedly

its funny about chlorogenic acid ..

Chlorogenic acid
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia [en.wikipedia.org]

Chlorogenic acid is a family of naturally occurring organic compounds. These are esters of cinnamic acids and (-)-quinic acid.[1] It is an important biosynthetic intermediate.[2] It also is one of the phenols found in coffee as well as many other plants.[3] This compound, long known as an antioxidant, also slows the release of glucose into the bloodstream after a meal.[4]

ive been mixing it with my carrot juice maybe 1/15 potato to carrot and i dont notice the sugar spikes i would get from the carrot nearly as much anymore so it seems that glucose slowing might actually have some merrit although ive onlybeen adding hte potoato bit for a couple of months

*shrugs* if i feel it works for me thats all that matters i reckon

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2011 01:11AM by Jgunn.

Date: December 16, 2011 06:42AM

Thx Jodi, guess the spuds that I juiced had green spots on them. So I'll be more careful, and start with a smaller quantity in my juice.

Posted by: vegmichelle ()
Date: December 16, 2011 03:28PM

It is perfectly OK to eat raw potatoes. There is some scientific evidence that they are very good for health, i read an article this summer about how purple potatoes can help reduce weight in people with obesity, as well as reduce blood pressure in hypertensive individuals. The scientists believed that white potatoes may have similar health benefits, bur further investigations were needed.

Potatoes are getting a bad rep because of things like chips and french fries, which obviously, are very bad for you. But we should remember that raw potatoes are still vegetables, and worth including in our diets.

Keeping it raw at [rawfoodhealthwatch.com]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 16, 2011 03:47PM

Thanks, Jodi!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables