Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

So what's up with 80/10/10?
Posted by: WanderRA ()
Date: March 13, 2012 09:52AM

There seems to be an anti 811 vibe lately, Im just curious as to what exactly about the diet people find does not work. Is it simply the lack of overt fats? Is too much fruit sugar a bad thing? Is it the lack of suppliments/superfood?

811 gets a lot of critisism for being unsustainable in the long term, but is not all that different from the 'standard raw food diet'.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: So what's up with 80/10/10?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 13, 2012 10:42AM

Hi WanderRA, the only deficient that I've read is mostly the lack of fats in the diet. My diet may include more fats than 811, actually I'm sure of it, but it's a pretty good plan just the same. I don't get into the so called 'super foods' thing, IMO all raw food are super foods.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: March 13, 2012 10:52AM

hmm - yes it does seem to be a hot topic now doesn't it.

I think it is because there are some fairly 'loud' characters discussing it currently.

I have the 80/10/10 book and found it very inspiring but it's not a diet I can follow here in the UK - I simply cannot get enough of the fresh organic fruit that is required. I think if I lived in a more suitable climate I would give it a go.

I think the diet itself is ok although I can't talk from my own experience only from reading other's testimonials but the one gib i have is its rigidity. In my opinion one size does not fit all and if you prefer a few more fats than 80/10/10 allows what does it matter. There are some very strident 80/10/10 people around and I think that is off putting to the gentler folk -

I wish Suncloud was still here because with her 20years of raw experience she had a great deal to offer a conversation like this. I shall be interested in this thread so long as it doesn't get hi jacked!!!!

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: March 13, 2012 11:59AM

To think that a single model diet is perfect for everybody is pretentious. Obviously, people who follow the diet will say is prefect so that they don't look dummies. I think it does help fat people to loose weight but in the long term, they start to show mental artifacts and a sense of knowing everything. For example, they think all diseases can be treated with the diet. They think all health answers are in the diet. Yet, the fat in their bodies keep shrinking and maybe the fat in the brain too.

Date: March 13, 2012 12:23PM

I may add that recent theories about human evolution suggest that humans evolved from eating cooked foods. Cooked foods pack more calories per volume and are easier to store/gather, thus they help to keep a constant source of energy for the brain to grow. The 811 diet is new and its long term effects are yet to be known. It does seem to be very good to loose fat.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 13, 2012 03:11PM

I agree that thinking one diet is the optimum diet for EVERYBODY and promoting it (and even pushing it) as such is erronious and possibly irresponsible.
I'm not into dogma in anything, if it works for you that's great but to think that because it works for YOU it should be used by everybody else is ridiculous.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: March 13, 2012 03:35PM

Panchito Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I may add that recent theories about human
> evolution suggest that humans evolved from eating
> cooked foods. Cooked foods pack more calories per
> volume and are easier to store/gather, thus they
> help to keep a constant source of energy for the
> brain to grow. The 811 diet is new and its long
> term effects are yet to be known. It does seem to
> be very good to loose fat.

Packing more calories is not the issue, that was important at times of famine and survival. People want to live healthier, longer, and it best achived with raw food.

Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: March 13, 2012 03:47PM

It's probably a good weight loss plan or way to rebuild some nutrients you might be lacking from a SAD diet, but to turn it into a daily protocol is probably not wise for most people. I see it more as medicine than I see it as a way to live.

From experience and observation I believe that men who enjoy being masculine should be particularly weary of this diet. That's just my personal experience and observation of others.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: March 13, 2012 04:07PM

WanderRA stated "811 gets a lot of critisism for being unsustainable in the long term, but is not all that different from the 'standard raw food diet".

The 8-1-1 diet is not devoid of fats and doesn't your brain protect itself first so that it is given enough fat in the diet for that purpose? Also many people end up calculating over periods of time so may eat more fat at one time that the 10% but over time it evens out to 80/10/10.

In the China Study don't they recommend 15% fat in the plant based diet? Susan Powter also was/is a proponent of low fat in diet.

Maybe once a person is where they want to be in their weight they could up the amount of fat in the diet to 15-20%? They might be more able to convert fat to energy once they are trimmer and more fit, depending on their activity level.

How about a list of symptoms to watch for in those people that are using the 8-1-1 diet for mental status?

Love,
Prism

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2012 04:14PM by Prism.

Date: March 13, 2012 04:09PM

HeavenHands Wrote:
> From experience and observation I believe that men
> who enjoy being masculine should be particularly
> weary of this diet. That's just my personal
> experience and observation of others.

What do think is the cause of that?

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: March 13, 2012 04:23PM

I think there is personal truth (what is true for me as an individual) and kind of a weight of evidence for more broadly applicable statements. Many 8-1-1 practioners report as their personal truths improved mental, physical, and spiritual benefits. The monomeals and the routine appear provide easy digestion and the higher energy that goes with it (digestion consumes a hugh amount of energy from the body). The diet is also highly alkaline which appears to be optimal. Like all vegan diets, deficiencies need to be addressed either through supplements or testing or both. But it's one of those things. I suspect to answer WanderRA's question, a lot of the objection to the diet starts and ends with Harley.

I made that mistake earlier. But live and let live or Chacun a son gout (to each their own) from the French definitely makes sense hear. Let a 1000 flowers bloom. I've heard Jan's and BW's request to tone it down. And so... best

Paul

Posted by: HeavenHands ()
Date: March 13, 2012 05:02PM

I wish I had the first clue. Like I said, I'm making an observational and anecdotal statement. There seems to be a distinctly androgynous character to the results. I wish that I could articulate the unique and natural male essence that I'm talking about, but it eludes me. And no, I'm not talking about the overt boogie-man style aggression that feminists often falsely ascribe to men with their shameless reverse bigotry, but instead something that's at once calm, loving, and very powerful. It's heroic and beautiful and poetic and sexual. The exact opposite of the emaciation, whininess, dishonesty, pimping, neurosis, and self-serving soullessness that I and many others have come to associate with so many men and 811. There's something foppish in them. If that's where they want to go, great. Get a vasectomy, wear spandex, eat fruit all day, and spend your life bitching at people on the internet. Sooner or later you're going to lose your man card.

I hesitate to comment on women because I'm not one, but the women in my life who went that route eventually ended up dealing with issues like vaginal dryness, thin hair, and also issued complaints about missing something essential.

The enhanced spirituality claims are bogus because they're short-lived. There was once a time when I thought that smoking pot made me more spiritual, but that was just the initial buzz. Over time you simply feel like every one else. I've found that if a man wants to increase his spirituality through physical channels, being healthy can help, but being on an ultra-strict diet is not necessary. I'd first and foremost recommend practicing orgasm restriction, meditation, and relentless compassion before seeking the third eye through dietary channels. Excessive orgasms will absolutely ruin a man. Maybe some of these 811 dudes simply fap too much. Who knows? If you rely on certain food to help untie the knots of Illuminati brainwashing in your skull, what are you going to do when the famine comes?

This has been stimulating, but I have a farm to run. smiling smiley

Panchito Wrote:
> HeavenHands Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > From experience and observation I believe that
> men
> > who enjoy being masculine should be
> particularly
> > weary of this diet. That's just my personal
> > experience and observation of others.
>
> What do think is the cause of that?

Date: March 13, 2012 05:39PM

I'd love to see a pic of you HH..got one you could post?

Or how about a picture of your 'ideal' of a real man?

I find so much of your post offensive and I'm really disliking the ambiance of this forum distasteful..I'd rather eat SAD then read and digest the crap that's becoming pervasive here with some posers..I mean posters. Ohhh...look what you bring out in me..but sometimes I just gotta say what I'm feeling.

Love,
Prism

Date: March 13, 2012 05:39PM

thanks

I was thinking that some foods presumably create more libido than others. Maybe the diet touches something in the brain. But could the same be said about diets? Never heard of a diet changing the libido. What would the the end of a colony of 811s? Would they thrive by themselves or would they extinct in the long run? Would they survive if not for modern society? I mean society and global fruit distribution plays a big role in this diet.

Date: March 13, 2012 05:46PM

I think that Panchito and HH are in this forum together feeding off their back and forth posts for whatever agenda they have. I don't believe they are here for altruistic purposes.

Who in the heck are you people..I don't believe much in the way of posts here anymore except for those I've come to know and trust and it ain't you two.

Love,
Prism

Date: March 13, 2012 05:47PM

I apologize if I offended you. That wasn't my intention.

Date: March 13, 2012 05:52PM

Oh shut up Panchito!

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 13, 2012 07:10PM

Prism Wrote:
> Oh shut up Panchito!

I think YOU'RE the one with the issue, dear. You snapped at me, are being rude to other people because you don't like what they are saying...Who pissed in your raw buckwheat groats this morning?

Posted by: BJ ()
Date: March 13, 2012 09:40PM

For me the underlying premise of 811 is wrong. The fact that it has found to be a sustainable diet for one very athletic physical person is the issue. Not everyone has the need, the desire or the ability to be so athletic, or has the body or stomach capacity to eat that much and stretch their stomach in two meals. One persons long term success isn't a validation of the diet. Many people live long healthy lives on junk free diets like Jack Lalane who lived to 96 and he was super fit until the end.

The other issue is that if people are unable to sustain themselves on it, have teeth problems or anything other difficulties then all sort of excuses are made up why it didn't work, but the diet is never blamed.

As for Harley, he is still relatively young and is injecting B12.How long can that go on for? How many of us are ultra marathon runners or ultra athletes like he is,so we can't compare our eating and digesting ability to his?

For the people it works for great, but remember that even Doug Graham says that a 100% fruit diet is dangerous, and most people on 811 tend to just eat unlimited amounts of fruit.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 13, 2012 10:45PM

BJ, the underlying premise of 811 might be wrong for you, but that doesn't mean that it is wrong for everybody. There are tons of before/after photos on 30BAD that show a lot of healing on the 811 diet. My own personal experience is that it offers a lot of benefits.

I think the trouble that people ultimately have with 811, or even the all raw diet, is that its tough to live in a modern industrial city environment, with all the busy-ness and the doing-ness that is associated with city life, including some unpleasant energies and pain found there, and be so sensitive because the diet has help remove the insulation that used to keep those energies from affecting the body.

For myself, I left the big city (if you can call San Franisco a big city smiling smiley ) and moved to the countryside, to a small town in rural america. I am not certain I could take being around caffeinated people all the time.

A lot of the negative energy around 811 has to do with the way Durianrider and his friends are doing their "outreach", which is insulting the other diets and raw factions and their judgments and criticism is coming back to bite them. If they had a more "live and let live" attitude, and were more accepting of others, I think there would be less backlash.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: March 13, 2012 11:32PM

(Sigh)....

Same old issues. Overly defensive raw vegans and 'defenders of the faith' offended by honest questions and the occasional overtly agressive contrarion.

I will stay on the juicing forum, but I can't deal with the sillness.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 14, 2012 12:31AM

*Sigh* (In a good waysmiling smiley)

Kwan: the voice of reason...

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables