Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Going Raw For a Month: Lentils Question
Posted by: vanessam888 ()
Date: May 23, 2013 12:03AM

I am a vegan. I am planning meals for my annual month long raw food fast. The information online is confusing when it comes to eating raw lentils. Can you please let me know your personal experiences with them? I want to try them but am hesitant.

I couldn't find any previous conversations using the search function on this website.

Thanks,
Vanessa

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Going Raw For a Month: Lentils Question
Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: May 23, 2013 12:16AM

Hi, I suppose you can soak them for a couple of days changing the water frequently. I think that should soften them enough for eating. Though I don't really know, as I've always done the above and then simmered them for half an hour before adding to my salad. It's not entirely raw, but the simmering maked them more palatable for me anyway.

jalan

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: May 23, 2013 12:22AM

You can sprout them, it is very easy. [sproutpeople.org]

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: May 23, 2013 01:18AM

Lentils may be hard to digest, even if you sprout them. You can try them and see if you get gas or other digestive difficulties. I would recommend eating fruits and vegetables that cooked food eaters normally eat raw, like leafy greens and vegetables found in a raw green salad. Fruit is an excellent source of raw calories.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 23, 2013 07:14PM

I have tricky digestion and am ok with lentil sprouts. I use them when the tail is the same length as the lentil itself, optimum nutrition then. Very tasty too, the baby gobbles them up by the handful.

Date: May 24, 2013 12:40AM

Thank you all for your input. I will have to give some sprouted lentils a test run this weekend perhaps.

Posted by: johnvattik2 ()
Date: May 28, 2013 06:00AM

Lentils are one of the more popular raw sprouts. In fact I think that Whole Foods Market has sprouted lentils at their salad bar, you could possibly even try them there.

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: May 28, 2013 03:51PM

i enjoy lentil sprouts only in crackers generally. they are weird tasting plain to me, but I use them as the crunchy substance mixed with veggie pulp to make crackers or kale chip batter. it makes a wonderful low fat crunch base that ends up tasting a lot like mexican burrito, especially if you season it as such. all that weird flavor evaporates out in the drying process!

but if you are planning to do a month long raw detox, I wouldn't eat any dried foods as they will slow in your detox.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 28, 2013 04:31PM

I find them a welcome change from clover and alfalfa. They actually taste good and are small, which is nice when it comes to beans. Kidneys and garbanzos? Not so much...

Date: May 29, 2013 03:33AM

I am sprouting some now to test on the ole tummy. I was hoping to make a raw chili with them. Going raw for an entire month is challenging for me. You would think the fact that it makes you feel 100% better would make it easier, but it doesn't. Mind over matter I suppose.

Thanks again everyone for the input.

Posted by: fresherthanlife ()
Date: May 30, 2013 05:42AM

You can soak or sprout them, but in my experience, they just don't digest well.

[fresherthanlife.com]

Date: June 04, 2013 01:44AM

vanessam888 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am a vegan. I am planning meals for my annual
> month long raw food fast. The information online
> is confusing when it comes to eating raw lentils.
> Can you please let me know your personal
> experiences with them? I want to try them but am
> hesitant.
>
> I couldn't find any previous conversations using
> the search function on this website.
>
> Thanks,
> Vanessa

l have many raw lentils, but they need to be sprouted for 4 - 5 days to remove the high uric acid levels. They would emit a good electrical frequency because they are fresh and do contain reasonable amounts of sunlight, and they are quite nutritious because they are an immature plant where the potency of the original seed had been spent into the life force of the baby sprout plant. The protein is largely broken down into amino acids and the starches are broken down into more easily assimilated carbs. Many many changes during the sprouting process.

Lentil sprouts are a good filler, but you might also consider adding a sprouted grain to the meal also, something like sprouted quinoa, amaranth or even sprouted millet. Try doing a 30 second blend on the sprouts to make doing raw much easier....fills you nice.

You still want to be juicing greens if you can tolerate it, or at least doing short blends on the sprouted greens with sprouted seeds/sprouted nuts also (no fruit in the blended mix ever).

You would be well advised to consume some sea weeds because they work well on human beings.

people may say that those foods aren't natural for mankind, but what food really is?? Most are hybrids. We just need to see what foods have the best effect on health with minimal natural toxin input. We live in a polluted toxic world with limited availablity to highly nutritious FRESH foods, so something like sprouts and sea weeds are very good for many folks and DO contain extroadinary power and are far superior to any store bought produce.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 05, 2013 04:08PM

Have lentil sprouts in my lunch salad today, SO TASTY! Oh, I really like them. I could just eat them by the handful.

Date: June 05, 2013 11:55PM

Thank you sproutarian, I didn't realize you should spout lentils for 4-5 days. I learned something new from you. You are full of information.

I made myself a raw chili recipe online this week and it tastes good but not great. I think the "green" taste of the lentils in their sprouted form would be better in a salad than in some mock chili recipe. But I'm glad I tried sprouting for the first time and it was easy. Best of all my stomach can handle it!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables