Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

can bananas clog you up?
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: October 08, 2013 09:48PM

After the other day I suffered what it could be a "clog attack" I think it was because of some not-so-ripe bananas. I think this created a ball right after the stomach. Doesn't sound bad but with time it felt bad. I had dry through ups, fever and shock (no joke). Then I noticed my mouth very dry. Started sipping water and I recovered.

I am just wondering what could be some explanations and/or remedies for the future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2013 09:49PM by Panchito.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: can bananas clog you up?
Date: October 08, 2013 10:40PM

Thanks for adding other explanations.

after it 'cleared up', I felt like new again and clearly noticed the problem was gone. Next day I was as usual. I think that a long-large piece of hard fiber got stuck on the wrong angle or something blocking things up. It did not feel bad righ away but discomfort progressed over time. ~ 8 hours later (the peak) it felt badbad. Maybe it took 8 hrs for the fiber to soften up?

Date: October 08, 2013 10:53PM

Thanks.

Don't remember exactly but maybe I ate 8.

I eat bananas just about every day (+12 or so)

Date: October 08, 2013 11:53PM

(testing)..........

Date: October 09, 2013 01:11AM

Panchito Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> After the other day I suffered what it could be a
> "clog attack" I think it was because of some
> not-so-ripe bananas. I think this created a ball
> right after the stomach. Doesn't sound bad but
> with time it felt bad. I had dry through ups,
> fever and shock (no joke). Then I noticed my mouth
> very dry. Started sipping water and I recovered.
>
> I am just wondering what could be some
> explanations and/or remedies for the future.

I recently posted some science on the banana issue.
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

While the study was exaggerated by using green banana flour, there is good science to show that unripe bananas are poorly digested because the starch content has not been broken down by significant enzymes. This is just one of many problems unripe bananas can pose for humans.

Another is the possibility of tannins in the unripe fruit which will further impact absorbability of carbohydrates, protein and various minerals...and it could explain why you have a dry mouth.

Another problem is the dissacharide sugars in the bananas and starchy foods, which if abused could possibly cause the body to lack the enzymes to break those down imo, which could cause these sugars to bypass the liver and lead to unstable blood sugar levels and a host of other health problems.

I personally find bananas a highly dubious food to eat. It doesn't matter if they are ripe or not, it draws from the body and lowers my level and flattens me out. Certainly not a good energy source for me...just a valuable waste of four hours of digestive effort. Why would l waste four hours digesting a dubious rubbish food of questionable nutritional value when l could be digesting a high quality fresh food like fermented sprouted seeds.

In summery = bananas take take take like bankers, but give little in return.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2013 01:19AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: October 09, 2013 08:40AM

thanks TSM!

I still think the problem I experienced was purely "mechanical" with the worst part being the dry through up part (and maybe thinking about the worse case scenario). Maybe if bananas are like flour, then they could create by themselves a temporary paste-plug. Maybe mixing bananas with previous meals could do it too, not sure. I don't have any problems as far as I know. But I do acknowledge that green bananas could be potentially bad. The table ripen bananas are softer but they could mess me up I guess if given the right condictions Maybe unripe bananas are hydroscopic and grow bigger inside creating a plug (like wetting wood).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2013 08:48AM by Panchito.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: October 09, 2013 08:27PM

Panchito Wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> Don't remember exactly but maybe I ate 8.
>
> I eat bananas just about every day (+12 or so)

You didn't mention if they were organic either? And they should be RIPE! NOT GREEN AT ALL, NO NOT EVEN A LITTLE! I wont even buy the green ones for fear that they do not ripen well, yes I am very picky. Please don't take this personally but you should not sit down to so many bananas unless you are very healthy and again, they are perfectly ripe imo. How many bananas do you think a person can digest in one sitting? IMO if you were a very healthy athlete maybe three or four, not eight.

Posted by: BJ ()
Date: October 10, 2013 03:09AM

Rzman10001, some people have fantastic digestion and are able to eat 8 bananas and function normally, so maybe it's ok for Panchito to eat that many. Hopefully he is also eating quite a lot of greens with the bananas and fruit.

Panchito, how long have you been on the raw / strict diet eating 8 - 12 bananas a day?

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: October 10, 2013 04:08AM

Panchito, did you chew your bananas or swallow them whole?

Posted by: USER111 ()
Date: October 10, 2013 06:41AM

I've been eating at least 12 bananas a day for about 85% of days since 2006 and have had no problems. I can eat about 6-8 big bananas at one sitting.

rzman10001---> "you should not sit down to so many bananas unless you are very healthy and again, they are perfectly ripe imo. How many bananas do you think a person can digest in one sitting? IMO if you were a very healthy athlete maybe three or four, not eight".

I'll follow your advice if you'll have the feeling of not being satiated for me. I'll eat 4 instead of 8 and you'll have the feeling of not being satisfied for me. How about that? That'll save me some money.

Date: October 10, 2013 08:31AM

I've been eating lots of bananas for 1.5 years now. But I many have not chew the bananas well or enough (hard to pay attention). Anyway, sometimes I have to eat green bananas because thats all I got. Two meals of the day I only eat fruit and that has done great for my health (on my best ever). You have to eat enough minerals like iodide/iodine and zinc. Some people have life time hypo glands hard to recover. Minerals are more important than vitamins.

Anyway, just keep an eye for a possible banana clog (could be hard to diagnose and be mistaken for something else). If it happens to me it could happen to anybody.

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: October 10, 2013 11:11PM

BJ Wrote:
> Rzman10001, some people have fantastic digestion
> and are able to eat 8 bananas and function
> normally, so maybe it's ok for Panchito to eat
> that many. Hopefully he is also eating quite a lot
> of greens with the bananas and fruit.
>
> Panchito, how long have you been on the raw /
> strict diet eating 8 - 12 bananas a day?

Just trying to help, clearly something went wrong so maybe it's NOT ok to eat that many for him. I got the feeling that it was a unripened issue and as he stated this very well could be true, yeah baby! I would never eat them unripened as said and I think that is VERY sound advise. Don't force your self to eat unripened fruit no matter who you are just eat something else, take it easy and listen to your body and intuition.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: October 11, 2013 03:20PM

Panchito Wrote:
> I've been eating lots of bananas for 1.5 years
> now. But I many have not chew the bananas well or
> enough (hard to pay attention). Anyway, sometimes
> I have to eat green bananas because thats all I
> got. Two meals of the day I only eat fruit and
> that has done great for my health (on my best
> ever). You have to eat enough minerals like
> iodide/iodine and zinc. Some people have life time
> hypo glands hard to recover. Minerals are more
> important than vitamins.
>
> Anyway, just keep an eye for a possible banana
> clog (could be hard to diagnose and be mistaken
> for something else). If it happens to me it could
> happen to anybody.

Eating only fruits is only a short term solution. Long term damage is irreversible.
Another thing bananas do not have that much water, they are not like oranges, or apples, on top of that eating them greens can be constipating.
I like my bananas very ripe with dark spots on them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables