Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

The Dirty Dozen
Posted by: BJ ()
Date: November 20, 2013 07:56PM

And by referring to '' The Dirty Dozen '', I don't mean the dozen or so of us bickering amongst each other. I am referring to the dirty dozen listed fruits / vegies which should be avoided because of their pesticides.

That's another nonsensical meaningless thing that someone has proffered. It's ok if you live in California where there might be a big variety of organic produce, but living here in Sydney Australia - or many other places, it's totally meaningless. There are a few things I buy organic like bananas, lettuce and kale, but most other organic produce is usually 2 to 4 times the price and either wilted ( vegies ) or sour ( fruit )- and picked totally unripe.

In season we get lots of strawberries and in the normal shops they could be anywhere from 1.50 to 2.50 a punnet. The organic ones are around $6 a punnet and sour as. Same with blueberries.
Organic figs are astronomically priced and are terrible. Most of the stone fruit is picked hard and is sour. There are really nice sweet conventional black grapes and I buy them now.

In an ideal world all the fruit and vegies would be naturally grown and naturally ripened, but I don't live in an ideal world, so for me this idea of a '' Dirty Dozen '' that keeps getting referred to is meaningless for the majority of people and baseless scaremongering.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2013 07:58PM by BJ.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Dirty Dozen
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: November 21, 2013 01:11AM

oh.

Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: November 21, 2013 02:31AM

You can grow your own fruits. It is called sprouting indoor.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: November 21, 2013 05:07AM

Organic used to be like that here in the US too. Times have changed thank goodness. Yes it's still more expensive, but it tastes a lot better than conventional these days too.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: November 21, 2013 03:11PM

What's a punnet?

Posted by: Superjuice ()
Date: November 21, 2013 06:37PM

I think it is a great tool, and perhaps it was started here in the us. If I had the money I would never buy any commercial food! end of story. If you love cancer and want to support the people who are selling it then that is your decision generally speaking. BJ you should move somewhere there is a good farmers market. Organic veggies should be fresh, crisp and nice and sweet so we don't eat to much fruit. I can buy a cucumber-put it on my counter and it will stay good for almost two weeks if they are nice and fresh! This is how it should be.

So clearly humans are not doing a good job. Are food should be controlled by the government so as not to be affected by profit, and then we would have better food. Or perhaps subsidized by the government? Unfortunately our government sucks! as do most. If they want to reduce health costs that's the way it needs to be done!

Date: November 21, 2013 09:07PM

A punnet is the small plastic container with a lid that they sell the berries in. You can't buy loose ones - the berries are all pre packed.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: November 21, 2013 11:46PM

BJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A punnet is the small plastic container with a lid
> that they sell the berries in. You can't buy loose
> ones - the berries are all pre packed.

[en.wikipedia.org]

I wonder if it's comparable to a pint...

Date: November 22, 2013 06:41AM

No. It's just the generic name for the small plastic disposable container.

At the moment a punnet of blueberries weighs 125 grams. A punnet of strawberries weighs 250gms, and the larger punnets of strawberries weigh 375gms.It all depends on the size of the punnet and the items inside it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables