Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Heart medications + raw
Posted by: Xoxotagrande ()
Date: January 06, 2014 10:21PM

Hey guys! I'm new on here. I just wanted to ask a question about raw diet. I had a heart attack back in June, and was put on a massive cocktail of drugs. Anyway I have since then increased my veg and increasingly moving on to raw diet. Today I tried a green smoothie for the first time since the heart attack and it literally passed through me. I had diarrhoea about 9hours later. I'm not used to having that much fruit and veg in a day, and I'm hoping it just a shock to the system.

However a lot of the @#$%& was still green and had quite a bit of undigested material. As part of my cocktail of drugs one of them is a stomach acid regulator (lansoprazole). So I'm thinking my stomach can't digest fruit and veg very well. Do you reckon as a result of that I might be slowly heading towards malnutrition? I really want to carry on increasing raw foods, but I'm worried I won't get enough nutrients cos my stomach acid is so weak :-(

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Heart medications + raw
Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: January 06, 2014 10:30PM

I'd recommend seeing a Naturopathic doctor but would say it's definitely a good idea to get off all medications. They poison the body and will have to be detoxed in the future, but a ND will know a lot more information on how to safely get you off any meds you're on.

Systemic enzymes (VeganZyme is a reputable brand) are great at healing ailments and disease and probiotics (Sunbiotics or Health Force Ultimate Probiotic are good) will provide your gut with an abundance of healthy bacteria. If you can, an organic whole-foods multivitamin might be a good idea to give yourself added nutrients.

Chlorella, E3 Live (AFA), and wheatgrass juice are great things to add to your diet. Organic fruits and veggies will help as well. Things to leave out of the diet... meat and dairy. Add some sprouted nuts (walnuts, macadamia, pistachios, almonds, etc.) to your diet, they're typically great for heart health.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2014 10:34PM by jtprindl.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 06, 2014 11:26PM

Xoxotagrande Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey guys! I'm new on here. I just wanted to ask a
> question about raw diet. I had a heart attack back
> in June, and was put on a massive cocktail of
> drugs. Anyway I have since then increased my veg
> and increasingly moving on to raw diet. Today I
> tried a green smoothie for the first time since
> the heart attack and it literally passed through
> me. I had diarrhoea about 9hours later. I'm not
> used to having that much fruit and veg in a day,
> and I'm hoping it just a shock to the system.
>
> However a lot of the @#$%& was still green and had
> quite a bit of undigested material. As part of my
> cocktail of drugs one of them is a stomach acid
> regulator (lansoprazole). So I'm thinking my
> stomach can't digest fruit and veg very well. Do
> you reckon as a result of that I might be slowly
> heading towards malnutrition? I really want to
> carry on increasing raw foods, but I'm worried I
> won't get enough nutrients cos my stomach acid is
> so weak :-(

X, you really are going to probably need health care professionals with this until you learn the ropes. There are so many good for you foods that are counter indicated with a lot of the meds. It's a mine field. If you are on blood thinners, for instance, just one big green smoothie or salad can throw off your dosage. Be careful. It can get real crazy orchestrating everything - I know because I am going through it with my mother's meds.

One thing for sure is that if you are on a Lipitor type drug you are going to need a lot of CQ10. Another thing is try not to drink beverages with your meals so you don't dilute what little stomach acid you have and will need to digest food.

Don't worry, with time and patience you will make great progress and be able to shed the meds eventually. Good luck and welcome!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2014 11:29PM by SueZ.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 07, 2014 12:04AM

xoxotagrande

i don't have any recommendations

but i really hope that you find a way

seems scary to have to deal with all that

and its pretty brave of you to go on this new frontier all alone however

ND's ( naturopathic doctors) are supposed to know about meds as well to see if there are any contraindications ( things that can interfere with drugs) along with their advice

as you take in more natural measures and hopefully reduce or discard entirely the medications

good luck making your own way through this

and be easy on yourself

its a rough ride

so just take stock of all your improvements on a daily basis

and they will accrue

Posted by: Naza ()
Date: January 07, 2014 02:30AM

Hello

I have a surgery that involves the heart as well (aortic stenosis), this is an open heart surgery that replaces my aortic valve due to being born with aortic stenosis . I just want to inspire you with my journey going through that and here is my story:

[www.nazafit.com.au]

I hope this inspires you

Get Fit from Within
Nazafit Online Fitness and Nutrition - CHEK Holistic Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach, Master personal trainer, IPAC Physique conditioning coach and whole live food nutrition expert

[www.nazafit.com.au]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2014 02:34AM by Naza.

Date: January 07, 2014 02:58AM

hey naza

that's way cool

congratulations ... that really is inspiring !

Date: January 07, 2014 11:44AM

Thank you for advice guys. Will def have to search a ND around my area. I'm sure there must be one, I live near london so surely I can find most things lol.

Date: January 07, 2014 12:24PM

good luck xoxotagrande

my crystal fortune ball says that you will emerge from this

with BEST health of your life

!! smiling smiley

Date: January 08, 2014 02:02PM

I should mention btw I'm 22 years old hence why I'm scared to just be on drugs for the rest of my adult life.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 08, 2014 04:54PM

Xoxotagrande Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I should mention btw I'm 22 years old hence why
> I'm scared to just be on drugs for the rest of my
> adult life.

I'm so sorry this has happened to you at such a young age, X! I don't know how this happened but one thing you are going to have to be very careful of, for the rest of your life, is to make sure to maintain your teeth and gums in impeccable condition and stay away from any questionable restorations.
It's very easy for people who have cavities, poor dental hygiene, or gum disease to have the bacteria from those health issues break loose and cause heart problems. Even a simple tooth cleaning at the dentist's office can do it although now that you have had a heart attack your dentist will probably make you take antibiotics before your teeth are cleaned as a precaution . Just bite the bullet and compensate for that later with prebiotics and probiotics because it's usually just one day before dental work you will have to take the antibiotics and you really don't want another heart attack.

Date: January 09, 2014 12:55AM

co enzyme Q10 really IS something to look into esp. for heart strength improvement
but see if it reacts with anything

warfarin (drug) has contraindications ( adverse effects with other stuff) so do some research on that if you are taking it

garlic , cayenne - also heart strengtheners but once again, see if your medications react with those

a lot of people improve ( its true) if they take the right measures and some people end up with an even better life for the measures they take now due to having a "catalyst" that woke them up

keep a journal of sorts (file) for everything you are learning and any reactions especially in your case since you are dealing with "extra" like the medications

you have to be your own sleuth/investigator/doctor ( and use other doctors as "health partners"winking smiley

so keep learning and implementing

and improving

don't put a limit on how much you can improve and achieve in your health

set the bar extremely high and you are more likely to attain it especially when it comes to health

and most of all

relax and have fun

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables