Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
N.H diet nutrition v's Sproutarian diet
Date: June 18, 2014 09:44PM

Lets assume a N.H person eats greens and LOTS of fruit. I am going to try and ramp up the figures for N.H by choosing the best dark green leafy vegetables and make the assumption they are going to eat 500 g of greens each day. I am also going to assume they will eat 5 kg of fruit each day which will include 30 bananas per day which brings calories roughly up to 3,400.

I am putting the sproutarian diet in it’s worst light by neglecting a blue-green algae and likely underestimating the greens we often juice, and l am trying to put the N.H in it’s best light. I am not trying to be bias against the N.H diet, l wanted to see how they stack up against each other.

I am measuring zinc, iron, calcium and magnesium. I have also given a rough estimate for iodine for fun. If you think this analysis is bias, please let us know.

I got my figures from this site:
[nutritiondata.self.com]
Also used U.S Dept of Ag for chia and radish sprouts, the lotus website for hydrilla, HHI analysis for chlorella.

Broccoli (200 g) = 6% zinc, 8% iron, 10% calcium, 10% magnesium
Spinach (200 g) = 8% zinc, 30% iron, 20% calcium, 40% magnesium
Kale (100g) = 3% zinc, 9% iron, 14% calcium, 8% magnesium
Bananas (3kg) = 30% zinc, 30% iron, 30% calcium, 210% magnesium
Apples (1 kg) = 1% zinc, 1% iron, 30% calcium, 10% magnesium
Apricots (1 kg) = 10% zinc, 20% iron, 10% calcium, 20% magnesium

Chia (100 g) = 25% zinc, 66% iron, 63% calcium, 81% magnesium (taken from sunflower value)
Lentil seed (100 g) =zinc 32%, 42% iron, 6% calcium, 31% magnesium
Quinoa seed (170 g) = 35% zinc, 43 % iron, 8% calcium, 84% magnesium
Buckwheat (100 g) = 16% zinc, 12% iron, 2% calcium, 58% magnesium
Kelp (10 g) = 1% zinc, 2% iron, 2% calcium, 3% magnesium….100% iodine ?
Hydrilla (1 tablespoon) = 2% zinc, 25% iron, 62% calcium, magnesium 10%
Chlorella (3 g) = 15% zinc, 30% iron, 0% calcium, magnesium ? (say 0%)
Alfalfa sprouts (300 g) = 18% zinc, 15% iron, 9% calcium, 21% magnesium
Fenugreek (100 g seed) = 17% zinc, 186%, 18% calcium, 48% magnesium
Radish sprouts (300 g) = 10% zinc, 13% iron, 15% calcium, 33% magnesium

N.H diet = 58% zinc, 88% iron, 114% calcium, 298% magnesium, iodine 0 – 1% (558)

Sproutarian diet = 171% zinc, 434% iron, 183% calcium, 369% magnesium, iodine 100% + (1257 +)

I shall continue to do various analysis for fun. If you want to add nuts or seeds in, let us know what quantities a N.H person eats so we can make adjustments.

Please note: sproutarians have an increased ability to greatly enhance the minerals in the seeds due to soaking them in mineralised water, various studies have shown that mineral increases can be 30% right up to over 300% from the soak water alone...so yes, we have great control over our food supply and have the ability to increase mineral levels alot over the various dry seed analysis here. As l have said, l have put the sprout diet in the worst light...the figures are potentially much bigger for the sprout nutrition values. I always soak my seeds in mineralised alkaline water.

And lets not forget, when a sproutarian does ferments he can increase bioavailability of zinc by up to 600% and iron by up to 1,000% in some cases. Remember, plant iron and zinc are not well absorbed. Also note that the high copper vegan diets will compete for zinc absorption, so a diet high in iron and zinc is essential to provide a good balance for zinc absorption.

Lets also remember that a higher fat and amino acid diet also allows for increased uptake of minerals, and when we do probiotic ferments this is further increased. We might post some science for fun another day.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2014 09:50PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: N.H diet nutrition v's Sproutarian diet
Posted by: Anon 102 ()
Date: June 18, 2014 10:19PM

Ahh, The Spoutarian... spouting.

"And lets not forget, when a sproutarian does ferments he can increase bioavailability of zinc by up to 600% and iron by up to 1,000% in some cases. "

Spouter, why don't you say 50,000%? The police isn't here. Hell, say 1 million %.

Date: June 18, 2014 10:24PM

And lets not forget that sprouts have been shown to have significantly higher levels of phytochemicals with green sprouts having up to 100 times the content over it’s mature vegetable counterpart. It’s also been said that sprouts contain up to 100 times the enzyme levels, and this makes sense with the green sprouts because the concentrated macronutrients are almost completely broken down by enzymes when a seed is sprouted into a green, but after the green sprouts reach their peak period they begin to develop proteins again (eg, gluten in wheatgrass after day 10), some starch as sprouts become mature green vegetables and fatty acids becoming fat again etc. The sprouted seeds (eg sesame) would not contain as many enzymes because the proteins, carbs and fats are not near as broken down as the green sprouts, so less enzymatic activity, none-the-less, we can greatly break down the sprouted seds and increase enzymatic activity and good bacterias via fermentation.

Remember, plants are not just about vitamins and minerals, it is about the whole plant which also contains health promoting phytochemicals (some have anti oxidant activity far more powerful and long lasting than the usual anti oxidant vitamins), enzymes (have been used in medicine for health promoting effects), hormones (used in medicine for health promoting effects) and various other nutrients.

Overall, the sprout diet is highest in all nutrients. Now…you may bring up the spinach and kale as the big boys of vitamin A, but lets not forget that if we buy it from shops that post harvest deterioration of the vitamins, phytochemicals etc deteriorate, sometimes significantly, and this can mean significant deterioration of the most powerful anti oxidants by up to 80% after 7 days refrigeration and three days in the shop at 15 degree C. The sproutarians can get good vitamin A levels via blue-green algae, hydrilla green algae, broccoli sprouts and various microgreens such as pea shoot greens, sunflower greens and weeds. We also get high levels of vitamin C via various microgreens, radish sprouts etc. In fact, we can get higher vitamin C content than a fresh orange. And lets not forget that fruit isn't always properly ripe when it is picked for sale in shops, so nutrient levels are not at their peak.

And what about the question of EPA/DHA fatty acids/. We need high levels of amino acids, zinc, calcium, B9, copper etc to be able to make this, but this seems to be a major problem for the N.H diet because the low zinc, low iron and high copper can be a problem according to peer reviewed science studies.

So why are the sprouted greens more powerful than the more nutritious sprouted seeds? I think it is the chlorophyll and ease of digestion via the food enzymes.

Green vegetables = level 1 power
Weeds = level 2 power
Green soil-less sprouts = level 3 power
Green microgreens = level 4 power
Green microgreens with wheatgrass included = level 5 power
(try it for yourself).

I am working on an article which backs everything up soundly with good science and common sense and practical experience, but this is just an intro.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2014 10:31PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: June 18, 2014 10:27PM

Anon 102 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ahh, The Spoutarian... spouting.
>
> "And lets not forget, when a sproutarian does
> ferments he can increase bioavailability of zinc
> by up to 600% and iron by up to 1,000% in some
> cases. "
>
>
> Spouter, why don't you say 50,000%? The police
> isn't here. Hell, say 1 million %.

Spouter, why don't you say 50,000%? The police

When l eventually get around to posting the fermentation science on my site you will see.

I am not trying to make this a competition, l am just trying to compare the differences in diet nutrition.

When l do my final article on the nutrition of diets l will use as much science as l can to back up my statements, use common sense and practical experience to explain it as well as possible. I want my comparisons to be as fair as possible.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: June 18, 2014 10:44PM

Great info.

Still, I think it's going to be hard for many to step out of the old paradigm of thinking fruits are essentially all we need. They love their sugar and have been eating copious amounts for so long, they don't want to give it up or accept that it's not optimal (cognitive dissonance). It's funny because you always hear fruitarians or N.H. enthusiasts talk about how its important to eat FRESH food, yet they neglect sprouts, which are much more fresh than the store-bought produce they are eating.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: June 18, 2014 11:31PM

Help! My goiter is killing me!

Date: June 18, 2014 11:32PM

If N.H folks added in sprouted poppy, look at the nutrition score card now.
Previous nutrition card = N.H diet = 58% zinc, 88% iron, 114% calcium, 298% magnesium, iodine 0 – 1% (558)

New nutrition card = 111% zinc, 142% iron, 258% calcium, 385% magnesium (896).

And if we soak in mineral rich water we can greatly increase the iron, zinc, calcium etc. One U.S dept of Ag study showed calcium in alfalfa seed increasing almost 200% and zinc increasingly roughly 350% by soaking in water rich in these minerals. So if you have a nutrient rich seed and enhance it by soaking in mineral rich water you get a super powerhouse of nutrition. Dr Finney’s science thesis on sprouts also confirm this. BUT…if you soak in distilled water you can lose around half of the minerals overnight in the soak water, and if you use tap water lacking in various minerals you will also lose minerals in the sprouts. See…we can do so much to enhance our foods supply by paying special attention to growing the food – we can soak seeds in kelp, mineral rich water, ascorbic acid to get a significantly more robust sprout (up to 30% according to Dr Finney), fuvic acid etc.

We don’t want to read too much into analysis that compare the minerals of broccoli to an alfalfa sprout because we don’t know what type of water they were soaked in. But rest assured, we can do many good things to further enhance the nutrition of sprouts.

Here are some figures comparing the mature radish vegetable to the radish sprout (dept of ag). Now you can’t tell me that vegetables compare to the sprout equivalents. Hopefully l can get permission to post the actual charts because these can only be gotten through academics or by paying big bucks, so l need to check out the legal side of things.

Radish vegetable---------------- Radish sprout
Protein 1.10---------------- 3.81 (300% +)
Fat .10---------------- 2.53 (2,500%)
Carbs 2.63---------------- 3.06 (roughly 16%)
Calcium 27------------------- 51 (roughly 28%)
Iron .80---------------- .86 (roughly 4% higher)
Magnesium 9------------------- 44 (roughly 430% higher)
Phos 28------------------ 113 (roughly 400% higher)
Potassium 280----------------- 86 (roughly 300% lower)
Sodium 16----------------- 6 (roughly 260% lower)
Vit C 29----------------- 28.9 (same)
B1 .03--------------- .102 (roughly 340% higher)
B2 .02--------------- .103 (roughly 515% higher)
B3 .3---------------- 2.853 (roughly 951% higher)
B5 .184-------------- .733 (roughly 400% higher)
B6 .075-------------- .285 (roughly 380% higher)
B9 (Folate)14----------------- 94.7 (roughly 676% higher)
Vit A 10----------------- 391 (roughly 3,910% higher)

Radish vegetable = 418
Radish sprout = 829

And when you read stuff from websites and Fred P saying that sprouts are not nutritious, now you will realise that they don’t have a clue what they are talking about. They talk monkey chatter, not real chatter. They live in 1960’s fantasty world, not the real world because they only compare vitamins and a few minerals on a couple of foods, but they don’t talk about enzymes, phytochemicals and hormones…nor do they compare the sprouted green to it’s mature vegetable. They also talk about toxins in sprouts, but they never talk about how we can chelate various toxins using foods and how we can use foods to induce enzymatic reactions in the body to break down these toxins. In other words, the people talking down the sprouts as toxic and non nutritious are from the raw food 101 school…the kindergarten students of the raw food school.

I will be doing a real big long paper on this, it’s going to take over a year, but it will be done so we can put the nonsense talk to bed once and for all.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2014 11:45PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: June 19, 2014 12:16AM

jtprindl Wrote:
> It's funny
> because you always hear fruitarians or N.H.
> enthusiasts talk about how its important to eat
> FRESH food,

Yes, it boggles the mind because their definition of fresh often means food from mass food delivery systems prone to post harvest deterioration of nutrients, possible handling and storage damage, and cell death. And if you buy from major supermarkets, irradiation can also be a signifcant factor where noticable oxidisation and other nasties become a problem too.

My local certified organic fruit market tells me they store oranges up to 4 months in storage before they are all sold. They call it the farmers market. And people classify the foods as fresh fruits and vegetables, but l prefer to call it greatly inferior nonsense food because it is no longer real food, instead, it only looks like real food. winking smiley

www.thesproutarian.com

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: June 19, 2014 12:22AM

Anon 102 Wrote:
why don't you say 50,000%? The police
> isn't here. Hell, say 1 million %.

So on the very same day you've been appointed president by the fruit tsar you are already talking just like his Oness.

Date: June 19, 2014 12:37AM

pringle--they don't want to give it up or accept that it's not optimal

Actually it's not optimal to take nutrition advice from you. Or the Spouter for that matter.

Suez canal, I was being sarcastic. It's a running joke where I'm from.

Date: June 19, 2014 12:52AM

Anon 102 Wrote:

>
>
> Actually it's not optimal to take nutrition advice
> from you. Or the Spouter for that matter.

Maybe it's time l spoke with Doug so he can set me straight on the nutrition facts `eh? winking smiley

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: June 19, 2014 12:56AM

Anyhow, I've given enough reading material to the lurkers who are rubbing their hands with unholy glee in anticipation of another diet war to liven their lives.

I can visualize temp/pl furiously sending PMs and emails to his cohorts from his padded room in the Home.smiling smiley

You see I am firmly entrenched in my dietary practices and no one can make me leave it. No matter what evidence they show. And I have zero interest in converting anyone to my way of eating. So this forum is kind of fun and games for me. And it's getting boring now.

I have a World Cup to watch and Test Cricket is playing also. So I'm out. (I predict Suez canal is going to make some snide remark concerning my leaving, lol)

I'll be back when I'm back.

Date: June 19, 2014 01:02AM

Anon 102 Wrote:
> Suez canal, I was being sarcastic. It's a running
> joke where I'm from.

I was being sarcastic, too. Apparently my joke doesn't translate to those joke forms from where you are from.

Anyway, I did get a PM once from vegetable police but haven't seen him around here in a long time. I think his jokes translate intergalactically - but maybe not to those who be where you is. I hope vegetable police comes back someday. We need him...

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 19, 2014 01:11AM

I call my type of diet a "backup plan" in case any N.H folks run into trouble with their diet and want to stay raw. winking smiley

Many raw N.H people see the failure of their diet as the end of their raw career, but l try to give them light at the end of the tunnel. I also try to give other struggling raw fooders light at the end of their tunnel's.

And if you are a bike rider who rides many many miles per day or a person who likes to kick balls on grass ovals all day long, l say to just do the green sprouts, the seed sprouts, the seaweeds and the algaes and continue to eat fruit for calories.

I would never intend to try and convert N.H folks (the "fruit people"winking smiley to any other type of diet because many are notoriously set in their ways, but this diet is a "backup plan" if the wheels fall off for the "fruit people".

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: June 19, 2014 01:14AM

Badges? I don't need no stinking badges. I might have to make a citizens arrest here though, Sproutman, But there is way too much to address and no one is paying me so I'll be back later to address them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2014 01:15AM by SueZ.

Date: June 19, 2014 01:21AM

The Sproutarian Man Wrote:
> I call my type of diet a "backup plan" in case any
> N.H folks run into trouble with their diet and
> want to stay raw. winking smiley

My "backup plan" for N.H. people is my trusty invisible 2x4 which seems to propel them back into the mists of time for a while at least. Especially when they were on their way out anyway - which they always are.

Date: June 19, 2014 02:10AM

>>>>>Lets assume a N.H person eats greens and LOTS of fruit. I am going to try and ramp up the figures for N.H by choosing the best dark green leafy vegetables and make the assumption they are going to eat 500 g of greens each day. I am also going to assume they will eat 5 kg of fruit each day which will include 30 bananas per

1. you must not know much about "natural hygiene" diet . they don't go for broccoli, kale, apricots, apples.

and there's no need to ramp up anything.

2. explain the percent assimilation of nutrients for the sample diets, or any diet for that matter.

Posted by: NuNativs ()
Date: June 19, 2014 02:28AM

The big problem is that the Sproutarian Diet t.m. intuitively tastes like crap. Raw bean sprouts are a digestive nightmare and in my opinion toxic, (makes you feel high though...). Are we really supposed to be eating all those roots too? As far as the farming goes, all those seeds you're sprouting have to mono crop cultivated in fields meaning laying waste to Earth and no trees. A wild/semi-wild or best permaculture food forest yields more diverse food, less labor and IMPROVES the landscape.

Date: June 19, 2014 02:33AM

NuNativs Wrote:
> The big problem is that the Sproutarian Diet t.m.
> intuitively tastes like crap. Raw bean sprouts are
> a digestive nightmare and in my opinion toxic,
> (makes you feel high though...). Are we really
> supposed to be eating all those roots too? As far
> as the farming goes, all those seeds you're
> sprouting have to mono crop cultivated in fields
> meaning laying waste to Earth and no trees. A
> wild/semi-wild or best permaculture food forest
> yields more diverse food, less labor and IMPROVES
> the landscape.

Exactly!!

Date: June 19, 2014 02:37AM

And if these super powerful glucosinolates decrease by up 80% in the broccoli vegetable over a short period (7 days in cool storage and 3 days on the shelf in 15 degree c), and if broccoli sprouts are up to 10,000% higher in glucosinolates, then that could mean broccoli sprouts can be close to having 80,000% higher content of this super powerful anti-oxidant and powerful cancer fighter than the broccoli vegetable, and possibly over 100,000% if the weather is hot and the broccoli vegetables sits in less ideal circumstances (I think that's the maths, l am not so good at calculations).

Well Anon, we didn't reach the million %, but we smashed the 50,000% when certain circumstances are taken into account. smiling smiley

Some more of radish vegetables v's radish sprouts.....check out this beauty of a study.

Phytochemical Composition and Biological Activity of 8 Varieties of Radish (Raphanus sativus L.) Sprouts and Mature Taproots

Paul R. Hanlon,David M. Barnes

[onlinelibrary.wiley.com]

Radish sprouts contained significantly greater concentrations of glucosinolates (3.8-fold) and isothiocyanates (8.2-fold) than the mature radish taproot and also contained significantly greater concentrations of phenolics (on average 6.9-fold)

Radish sprouts were between 9- and 59-fold more potent than the corresponding mature taproot at activating the antioxidant response element (ARE) in a stably transfected hepatoma cell line.The ARE activity of the radish sprouts and mature taproots was significantly correlated with the total isothiocyanate concentration of the radishes

Now for another great study. Here are just a small number of measured anti oxidant increases that occur when one sprouts the food. Some anto-oxidants increase 200%, others increase over 1,000% as with the grasses such as rye and flax grass after five days. If you believe the internet hype that wheatgrass is not nutritious?...you better think again. Lets remember that the popular study bashing wheatgrass was funded by a GM company with links to drug and chemical companies.

Creation of a Databank for Content of Antioxidants in Food Products by an Amperometric Method

Yakov I. Yashin1, Boris V. Nemzer

[www.mdpi.com]

The analysis was based on dry weight, so in reality or all you need to do is eat more seed bulk and juice those greens and the extra anti-oxidants can be had easily.

You think the sprouts are worth growing? You bet your sweet boots they are worth growing.

I'll try and get back to this another day.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2014 02:46AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: June 19, 2014 02:41AM

If the N.H folks don't want to eat broccoli, spinach and all the top greens, less choose the less nutritious ones instead. winking smiley

Sprout diets can become delicious to eat when one's taste buds adjust.

NuNativs Wrote:
> Raw bean sprouts are
> a digestive nightmare and in my opinion toxic,

we can fix a lot of that by including various foods in the diet and building the body up with bacteria and enzymes from ferments, and by using various sugars etc to induce internal enzymatic activity. .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2014 02:44AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: June 19, 2014 02:53AM

Unfortunately, it seems that some people will never be open-minded and will continue to bask in their outdated and ignorant ways thinking they've got it all figured out, clearly not paying attention to, or blatantly ignoring recent research. Much like drug addicts do not believe they have a problem, "fruit heads" do not believe their diet has problems. Cognitive dissonance is a tough chain to break. People have the right to do what they want to their bodies (smoking cigs, taking steroids, being fruitarian, etc) smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2014 02:55AM by jtprindl.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: June 19, 2014 03:17AM

i don't think anybody is against the occasional sprouts. But eating sprouts as staple deserves a facepalm down. all you got to do is google for the image of long term sprouters and you'll see that the advertised 5000% increase of bioavailability of X does not materialize in the body

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2014 03:20AM by Panchito.

Date: June 19, 2014 04:01AM

Panchito Wrote:
> i don't think anybody is against the occasional
> sprouts. But eating sprouts as staple deserves a
> facepalm down. all you got to do is google for the
> image of long term sprouters and you'll see that
> the advertised 5000% increase of bioavailability
> of X does not materialize in the body

There are a lot of very unwell people who turn to HHI and sprout teachings to get well because not everyone is born vibrant and well.

I was so sick that l wanted to give up everything and go to a nursing home at one time because l couldn't keep on going. My mind was shot, l was tired all the time, l was depressed, l wasn't digesting well, leaky gut, lumps on the lungs, could hardly breath etc etc etc. I wanted to stop working and sleep day and night, and to keep on going was so hard.

Getting on the sprouts and doing that work made me cry so often because it was so hard to find the energy...l was a walking zombie....dead on my feet. I started slowly and l built up the sprouting garden as l felt able to. I have probably had more sprouting failures (sprouts dying) than most people have had hot dinners, but it has enabled me to learn much and help others. Sourcing seeds took years and l had no help on how to do things or find the diet which worked for me best (it is an artform to be tailored to the individual).

It took me a few years before l really got on my feet and more time before l really started to look half decent. But it's the improvement in mental and body functioning that really stood out. Ann Wigmore may not have looked as good as some of the big fruit eaters, but she had it all...she had the energy of a child, enthusiasm for life like a child, the spiritual connection and a clever witty mind apparently....she was at peace and found the dream life and consequently devoted her life to helping others.

Artistic abilities soar on the sprout diet and the ears become very intensified...music sounds AMAZING!!!! and music is so moving that it feels like you have gone to heaven because it is so intensified and blissful. Even the visuals is incredible. No cravings, no hunger...everything is just perfect. I am known for having excellent music ears, but now they at a whole new level...super fine tuned and seem to hear things that no-one else can. For eg, did you know that the singers of ABBA could never get in tune togeather because their vibratos never matched?...it took the power away from their voices in the duets. And the girl with the blonde hair had better tuning than the girl with the dark hair....you can focus on multiple sounds and thimngs happening at the same time and absorb it all easily.

We can greatly help the outside look better over time, but we can't change our appearance completely, but we can change the inside to very high degrees. I would love to see a really healthy born person do the sprout diet to see how they look, l bet they would look incredible.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2014 04:10AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: June 19, 2014 09:04AM

The biggest boys on the block have just arrived. No-one appears to touch these BIG boys of the vegan nutrition world

Now here is where the party really gets started. If you think sprouts and microgreens are over-rated and not nutritious, it might be best to completely rethink that. It looks like the microgreens are the biggest boys of the raw food block. The green vegetables are 1 foot tall, but these big boys could be over 20 foot tall. Check out this incredible study, l am definitely going to order this.

Assessment of vitamin and carotenoid concentrations of emerging food products: edible microgreens.
Xiao Z, Lester GE, Luo Y, Wang Q

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

The present study was conducted to determine the concentrations of ascorbic acid, carotenoids, phylloquinone, and tocopherols in 25 commercially available microgreens. Results showed that different microgreens provided extremely varying amounts of vitamins and carotenoids. Total ascorbic acid contents ranged from 20.4 to 147.0 mg per 100 g fresh weight (FW), while ?-carotene, lutein/zeaxanthin, and violaxanthin concentrations ranged from 0.6 to 12.1, 1.3 to 10.1, and 0.9 to 7.7 mg/100 g FW, respectively. Phylloquinone level varied from 0.6 to 4.1 ?g/g FW; meanwhile, ?-tocopherol and ?-tocopherol ranged from 4.9 to 87.4 and 3.0 to 39.4 mg/100 g FW, respectively. Among the 25 microgreens assayed, red cabbage, cilantro, garnet amaranth, and green daikon radish had the highest concentrations of ascorbic acids, carotenoids, phylloquinone, and tocopherols, respectively. In comparison with nutritional concentrations in mature leaves (USDA National Nutrient Database), the microgreen cotyledon leaves possessed higher nutritional densities

Commentary on the above study

Super levels of vitamin A

Microgreens can get up to 39,930 I.U per 100 g, whereas baby carrots are 13,790 I.U per 100 g. (Note: l mcg – 3.3 I.U).

Super levels of vitamin E

Microgreen vitamin E can get up to 87.4 mg per 100 g, where-as no vegetables or vitamin E rich seeds can even get near it, but perhaps sunflower greens get up there. So it looks like various microgreens can get around 420% of the rda for vitamin E. WOW. The only food that seems to exceed these extroadinary high levels of vitamin E are the wheatgerm oil, but lets not forget that it is probably of limited value because it would likely be oxidized and lack other nutrients for proper assimilation in the body.
[www.healthaliciousness.com] (easy to check if these figures in the link match up)

Super levels of vitamin C

Vitamin C on some microgreens can get up to 147 mg per 100 g. You show me a fruit or vegetable that can even approach that level?

Super levels of vitamin K

Vitamin K in some microgreens can get as high as 410 mcg per 100 g. That is roughly 300% rda for vitamin K. Still within safety limits. Besides, there are still various anti-clotting factors in various sprouts that l can’t think the name of right now.
[en.wikipedia.org]

And what happens if you drink 16 oz of certain microgreen juices? It means you start completely smashing rda’s for vitamins A, C, E and K.

And do you think that is the end of it? Not even close!!! We have the phytochemicals, phytohormones, enzymes, chlorophyll and all those goodies in them too. All of those goodies would be bursting from the seems waiting to feed our bodies.

Do you think l want to be going to the shops and be missing out on all this glorious goodness? Nooo wayyy!

Is it worth sprouting your microgreens? You bet your sweet boots it is.

Ole Popeye should have thrown his spinach in the bin and done microgreens instead.
----------------

And when l quoted this in the first post:

N.H diet = 58% zinc, 88% iron, 114% calcium, 298% magnesium, iodine 0 – 1% (558)

Sproutarian diet = 171% zinc, 434% iron, 183% calcium, 369% magnesium, iodine 100% + (1257 +)

we haven't finished the above analysis yet, we are only still getting started. The numbers gap between the N.H and sproutarian diet will increasingly widen as we compare more nutrients. We might even add in an extra analysis to include some of those microgreen values to really make jaws drop.

No-one is ever going to say sprouts are not nutritious ever again. I am going on radio soon and we are going to reveal the truth and silence the nonsense spread about the sprouts not being nutritious....that myth will be dead and buried very soon.

I am excited about the sprouts, and l hope you all are too.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2014 09:13AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: June 19, 2014 11:05AM

Panchito Wrote:
> i don't think anybody is against the occasional
> sprouts. But eating sprouts as staple deserves a
> facepalm down. all you got to do is google for the
> image of long term sprouters and you'll see that
> the advertised 5000% increase of bioavailability
> of X does not materialize in the body

It materializes but doesn't scale up to much significance.

Date: June 19, 2014 01:48PM

jtprindl Wrote:
> Unfortunately, it seems that some people will
> never be open-minded and will continue to bask in
> their outdated and ignorant ways thinking they've
> got it all figured out, clearly not paying
> attention to, or blatantly ignoring recent
> research. Much like drug addicts do not believe
> they have a problem, "fruit heads" do not believe
> their diet has problems. Cognitive dissonance is a
> tough chain to break. People have the right to do
> what they want to their bodies (smoking cigs,
> taking steroids, being fruitarian, etc) smiling smiley

um, your own guru just showed how the crazy fruit diet has enough zinc and iron.

whereas you stated several times that it does not.

check yourself regarding your cognitive dissonance accusation.

or not.

Date: June 19, 2014 01:59PM

The Sproutarian Man Wrote:
> If the N.H folks don't want to eat broccoli,
> spinach and all the top greens, less choose the
> less nutritious ones instead. winking smiley
>

3. do you realize that the usda database contains an average of conventional produce and that organic is higher in nutrients, right?

4. and you do realize that you reported iodine of zero for the NH diet when you apparently don't know that it is highly variable and based upon soil and other amendments and as such is not reported.

5. answer my question 2 above that you conveniently ignored.
how do you know anything about assimilation of nutrients?

I tell you what, I'll do it for you.

the S diet has lower assimilation due to various factors including anti nutrients and difficult to digest elements as compared to what you think is the natural hygiene diet (there is no such thing as a natural hygiene diet).

so here are the adjusted numbers due to cutting the assimilation by half for the S diet and doubling the amounts for the nh diet due to actually putting in real foods instead of apples and apricots and also item 3. above.

old N.H diet = 58% zinc, 88% iron, 114% calcium, 298% magnesium, iodine 0 – 1% (558)

actual NH diet = 116% zinc, 176% iron, 228%calcium, 600% magnesium, iodine, who knows?

old Sproutarian diet = 171% zinc, 434% iron, 183% calcium, 369% magnesium, iodine 100% + (1257 +)

actual S die = 85% zinc, 217% iron, 91% calcium, 180% mag, iodine - too much

6. also report on the vitamin C and all the other nutrients
for your alleged non biased comparison.

Date: June 19, 2014 02:01PM

TSM,

also explain how this is "not a competition", when all you do is try and hype your personal diet. while bashing fruit (although you're actually guiltily eating fruit)

Date: June 19, 2014 02:17PM

>And if these super powerful glucosinolates decrease by up 80% in the broccoli vegetable over a short period (7 days in cool storage and 3 days on the shelf in 15 degree c), and if broccoli sprouts are up to 10,000% higher in glucosinolates, then that could mean broccoli sprouts can be close to having 80,000% higher content of this super powerful anti-oxidant and powerful cancer fighter than the broccoli vegetable, and possibly over 100,000% if the weather is hot and the broccoli vegetables sits in less ideal circumstances (I think that's the maths, l am not so good at calculations).

Well Anon, we didn't reach the million %, but we smashed the 50,000% when certain circumstances are taken into account. smiling smiley

you're not very good at math.
numbers can not be taken in isolation.
must be relative to the state of the plant, and the original amount, and a whole host of other things.
this has already been explained to you in the post "sprout hype",
to no avail apparently.

>No-one is ever going to say sprouts are not nutritious ever again. I am going on radio soon and we are going to reveal the truth and silence the nonsense spread about the sprouts not being nutritious....that myth will be dead and buried very soon.

sprouts are not nutritious.

there, I said it.

what now?

you're over-identifying.

repeat after me,

I am not a sprout.
I am not a sprout.
I am not a sprout.

I will not die if someone disses sprouts.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables