Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Current Page: 3 of 12
Re: What's on your RAW menu? (v2)
Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 04, 2015 03:01AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: January 04, 2015 03:09AM

Lots of delicious raw foods here. smiling smiley I just had a small slice of my tropical mango cake with a large mountain of vanilla bean ice cream. For breakfast. Again.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: January 04, 2015 07:31PM

Thanks coconutcreme for posting a picture of raw kombucha, I had no idea it was raw vegan and had been looking for a quality probiotic drink outside of homemade coconut water kefir. I recently bought some "Guava Goddess" and it's delicious, tastes like soda lol. The culture starter is a tropical strain of yeast (s. boulardii).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2015 07:33PM by jtprindl.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 04, 2015 07:55PM

Today I had

salad of romaine, onion, almond, yellow summer squash, parsley

juice of pineapple, apple, cauliflower, cabbage, sweet potato

fruit salad of pineapple, apple, blueberry, strawberry, blackberry, orange, apple, raspberry, almond, grapefruit, banana

Date: January 05, 2015 12:12AM

Arugula- sounds perfect
jtprindl...thanks for noticing me! Delish I know.

Today I am not really hungry. Its very cold here so some hot maca a la mimi kirk, Olyraw brand sour pickles, Green smoothie blender full with greens and blueberries. Ok some raw chocolate, you caught me. Busted. Now for repentance I shall sprout some sunflower or the easy one, alfalfa tonight!

Posted by: intrstelr ()
Date: January 05, 2015 07:13PM

Manta91 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Still visiting family, so a bit more cooked than I
> would prefer, but:
>
> -3 bananas, 2 oranges, 1 Fuji apple
> -2.29lbs freshly cut pineapple
> -1/2lb baby carrots
> -2 small crowns steamed broccoli
> -3c cooked quinoa tossed with fresh spinach and
> cherry tomatoes
>
> Still hit everything but selenium, it seems. I
> know that Brazil nuts are a good source, but due
> to my health issues it's recommended that I stay
> off overts completely for a while. Also, I got
> about 107% RDA of omega-3s, but 53% omega-6s. I
> know people tend to overdo the omega-6s, so there
> is alot of emphasis on getting the omega-3s, but
> is this bad?

What is an "overt" n why bad for health issues?

Date: January 05, 2015 07:23PM

I've been vegan since apr. 2012 but raw since only may 2014, so I'm still trying to find out what's best to be eating. N I'm about 90 percent raw currently. The past few days I've been eating half spoon black seed oil, a few spoons ground flaxseed, some iceberg salad mix with carrots n cabbage in food for life corn tortillas, ginger root, watermelon, bananas, sesame tahini, baked potatoes (so addicted to them with sea salt, n probably eat way too many), celery sticks (love them when they've been out the fridge awhile), occasional carrots, had some recent corn tortillas with cabbage, carrots, red peppers n onions, with cayenne pepper, ate some honeydew other day, some other stuff I'm forgetting... I've gotten tired of regular nuts, they may be too old n I'm on a mold diet (which is difficult to avoid everything that's not fully fresh, so only somewhat). I was trying to eat a coconut everyday, n will try again, but its hard to find nonmoldy. That's a good 1000 calories at least though, n makes half my days need of food up. I've been eating almost all raw except for the baked potatoes n food for life tortillas. Plus if the seeds or nuts have been heated. Otherwise Ienjoy eating raw food mostly. Some things like brocolli aren't as good raw though, but I haven't bought any to cook. N tomatoes are kinda harder to eat raw, so its possible Iwill make some kinda cooked tomato sauce soon. Otherwise, its more refreshing eating raw, feel less bogged down by it than cooked food

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2015 07:35PM by intrstelr.

Date: January 05, 2015 07:36PM

These raw menus sound so much more appetizing than a meal of livers n chitlings.

Posted by: tezcal ()
Date: January 07, 2015 04:07AM

Still on my solid food vacation. Had a gallon of juice that had about 12 ounces dandelion, sixteen ounces spinach and kale, four ounces cilantro and parsley, filled with celery and cucumber. For one serving I blended in some bee pollen and vitamineral green

Feel great but needle to say I've spent a fair amount of time reading this website on the toilet smiling smiley

Date: January 07, 2015 05:00AM

I had an amazing collard slaw and some nori wraps and kombucha and raw hemp cups. Hot Macas and juicing oranges with apples pears and carrots. A lot more of that stuff all day.

Date: January 07, 2015 05:10AM

"had about 12 ounces dandelion"

Going through quite the detox?

Posted by: tezcal ()
Date: January 07, 2015 02:35PM

jtprindl Wrote:
> "had about 12 ounces dandelion"
>
> Going through quite the detox?

Yeah, was quite irritable while stuck in traffic last nighg , which usually doesn't bother me. My bowel movements were smelling like a toxic waste facility too. Feel as though I have a clear mind in general though. If I can make it to Sunday I may water fast. Thinking I may start a batch of rye rejuvelac to drink with the juices too.

Coconut cream, that slaw looks amazing! What are hemp cups and hot macas? Sounds intriguing.

Posted by: Kiwibird ()
Date: January 07, 2015 02:53PM

Hoping since I'm new it's ok for me to jump in and sharesmiling smiley

For breakfast, I typically like (soaked overnight and drained) oat groats with oatgurt (fermented oat groats) and fresh oj

Fresh batch of "oatgurt"

Lunches I *LOVE* huge smoothies. my blender is 70oz, I typically do fruit:

Dinners, I have been doing green juice or large salad, something simple since I still have to cook for my hubby. He's been open to the raw foods, but he's not convinced. Cooked veg food is about as far as he'll go without whining a lotwinking smiley

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: January 07, 2015 05:36PM

those blenders full of fruits look amazing. Can you juice whole cranberries? I can't remember if there is a seed in the middle or not. I have been juice feasting on green and beet juices :-)

Date: January 07, 2015 07:01PM

Utopian Life Wrote:
> those blenders full of fruits look amazing. Can
> you juice whole cranberries? I can't remember if
> there is a seed in the middle or not. I have been
> juice feasting on green and beet juices :-)

Yup! Cranberries have little seeds just like other berries. They are edible and blend up pretty well. I absolutely love the way I feel after drinking a smoothie with them in it! They are tangy and refreshing.

Gotta be honest, with all the greens I've been doing, the comical amounts of fruit, and even the more 'exotic' produce I've never heard of or tried before, I have yet to try a beet. I have never tried one in my life and am somewhat afraid of what they will taste like lol. Perhaps it's time to try themtongue sticking out smiley. I've heard they're also good for my parrot, but since I never buy them, he's never had one either. Maybe I'll make him try one first lol. We do eat a very similar diet of fruit and veg and nuts and seeds these dayswinking smiley and he's been a rather accurate taste tester of most of my raw food 'creations' that are safe for him to try. When it tastes good, he devours it, when it doesn't, he flings it. Can't get much more of an honest 'raw buddy' than that!

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: January 07, 2015 08:17PM

That's a great test for your raw food. I could just picture it now. smiling smiley You can do a video! smiling smiley I like to mellow out my beets with ginger, apples (something sweet). Thanks for the tips on the cranberries, I must juice some as they are healthy and cheaper now.

Posted by: Ela2013 ()
Date: January 08, 2015 09:17PM

- apples
- white sauerkraut (sauerkraut made from white cabbage) with cucumbers and tomatoes
- sauerkraut juice
- pickled carrots
- choco banana milk (bananas, raw carob, water)
- oranges
- cherry tomatoes
- red sauerkraut (sauerkraut made from red cabbage) with zucchini spaghetti in cauliflower tomato dill sauce and decorated with small cauliflower florets and grape tomatoes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raw vegan for life. Vegan for the animals. Raw for my health.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2015 09:18PM by Ela2013.

Date: January 10, 2015 03:15AM

What I do with a blender full of veggies:

Strain it and drink the juice (the red cabbage made it purple):

The pulp I usually either toss in the yard or make "burgers" from (I've been making them since before I went raw, so I need to experiment with how to do a raw juice pulp burger). Last night I decided to "experiment" and stuff a portobello with the pulp and dehydrate it for a few hours. Served with raw mashed cauliflower:

The mushrooms were quite yummy! Still coming to terms with raw foods though, especially something that looks and has the approximate texture of mashed potatoes. I was finding the texture and temperature of the mash cauliflower hard to handlesad smiley It didn't taste bad, my omni husband actually loved this meal (perhaps because he heated his), but for me, not going to do the mashed cauliflower again.

Date: January 10, 2015 04:09AM

KIWIBIRD

I am in love with you blender, is it as good as my VITAMIX?

Date: January 10, 2015 06:19AM

I have never used a vitamix so I don't know how it compares to yours specifically. Compared to the run of the mill Hamilton Beach blender I had before, this one is amazing! It purees EVERYTHING and has no problem with ice or hard vegetables/seeds.

Date: January 10, 2015 06:22PM

Got a new batch of E3 Live and with it received a free bottle for recommending it to someone so I've been experimenting with very high doses. Took 8 tablespoons with camu camu and mangosteen powder, followed up by marine phytoplankton and a little extra-virgin coconut oil, followed up by 10 grams of chlorella and 5 grams of spirulina, followed up a bit later by two teaspoons of royal jelly. Next up? Homemade raw honey flavored walnuts.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: January 10, 2015 09:20PM

Kiwibird Wrote:
> Last night I decided to
> "experiment" and stuff a portobello with the pulp
> and dehydrate it for a few hours. Served with raw
> mashed cauliflower:

Some mushrooms are no good raw. Portobello is one of them. They have a carconogenic chemical when raw. Evreynow and then they are probably OK but not everyday.

Posted by: Living Food ()
Date: January 11, 2015 10:28AM

Hoping since I'm new it's ok for me to jump in and share

Of course!

For breakfast, I typically like (soaked overnight and drained) oat groats with oatgurt (fermented oat groats) and fresh oj

Fresh batch of "oatgurt"

It's always good to hear of people fermenting their grains. How do you make the oatgurt?

Date: January 11, 2015 10:38AM

OATGURT sounds so good. OMG

I saw RAW OATMEAL in the supermarket, organic..and I was wondering, how do I make stuff with that?

Posted by: Living Food ()
Date: January 11, 2015 10:54AM

I saw RAW OATMEAL in the supermarket, organic..and I was wondering, how do I make stuff with that?

I'd imagine people just soak it in water and eat it as uncooked oatmeal, but that wouldn't be ideal because just soaking still leaves a significant portion of the antinutrients and doesn't increase the nutritional value near as much as sprouting, but you wouldn't be able to sprout oatmeal anyway. The best thing to do would to be make fermented oatmeal or this mysterious oatgurt smiling smiley, and the next best thing to do would be to soak it overnight or longer in a warm, slightly acidic environment by adding lemon juice or ACV to the soak water. The heat and acidity will cause a dramatically greater decrease in antinutrients than just soaking in plain, room-temperature water.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 11, 2015 12:55PM

coconutcream Wrote:

> I saw RAW OATMEAL in the supermarket, organic..and
> I was wondering, how do I make stuff with that?

Bear in mind that it is almost impossible, if not impossible, to find oat products on grocery store shelves that have not been heat treated somewhere along the line on their way to packaging. If the oats won't sprout they are no longer raw is a good rule of thumb.

If you really want to eat raw vegan oatmeal you have to start with sproutable oats and process them from scratch. It's the same principle at work with such products as California almonds, commercially frozen fruits, etc., that is used in commerce. You really have to know your stuff to find truly raw.

I don't eat them now but back when I did the only place I found viable oats was in an animal feed store that had a high turnover of grains. Even the whole oats I found in pet shops didn't sprout. That was a long time ago though I doubt there have been any changes, quite frankly. If someone here has found sproutable oats in a grocery store please report in. I'm all ears.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 11, 2015 04:57PM

Today so far:

Large green juice of turnip greens, red chard, cucumber, carrot, parsley, pineapple, apple, tangerine (with skin)

Large salad of red leaf lettuce, watercress, onion, cucumber, green bell pepper, cherry tomato, carrot, walnut

Later today I will have a fruit salad of blackberries, red grapes, orange, grapefruit, apple

Date: January 11, 2015 05:39PM

Some mushrooms are no good raw. Portobello is one of them. They have a carconogenic chemical when raw. Evreynow and then they are probably OK but not everyday.

Good to know. Thank you for letting me know. Are regular brown mushrooms ok?

It's always good to hear of people fermenting their grains. How do you make the oatgurt?

I soak 1cup oat groats overnight, then drain and rinse them. Then I add 1 1/2 cups of water, 2tbsp lemon juice, 2 tbsp agar and blend them. Then I pour them in the little jars and put them in the yogurt maker for 10-12 hours. It actually comes out a rather yogurt-like consistency. I like to mix berries, peaches, cherries (all your 'regular' yogurt fruits) in some and leave some plain for making salad dressings or dips (you can add spices and have a creamy ranch-like dressing out of the oatgurt).

I know theres some controversy amongst raw vegans over fermented foods, but I feel they do provide some benefits. Do you have any other good recipes/idea for fermented foods?

ear in mind that it is almost impossible, if not impossible, to find oat products on grocery store shelves that have not been heat treated somewhere along the line on their way to packaging. If the oats won't sprout they are no longer raw is a good rule of thumb.

While I have literally just set up my first batch of sprouts yesterday (which did not include oats) they apparently can sprout and are unheated when whole or just hulled (which is what oat groats are). This was some information given to me about oats when I first went raw, I found it very helpful to understand the differences in the various 'types' of oats you can purchase in a store:

[nouveauraw.com]

I am also not 100% raw right now. I'm at about 80-90% right now and still transitioning into it. At the moment, I'm not going to split hairs over plain oat groats, though I may try sprouting them! I'm not sure how much it matters, but the kind of oats I buy are out of the bulk bins, they kind of look like rice. They aren't cooking oats or quick oats for oatmeal. Buckwheat groats also make a delicious "oatmeal-like" breakfast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2015 05:41PM by Kiwibird.

Date: January 13, 2015 05:47PM

Cucumbers with a strawberry/tomato/onion/kale spread. Delicious!

Posted by: Manta91 ()
Date: January 17, 2015 08:26PM

-ice cream of 6 frozen bananas with vanilla bean powder

Will probably have a banana-raspberry smoothie when I get home, followed by a big salad with tomato-orange-jalapeno dressing... and maybe a dollop of curry-kraut!

It's a locally made kraut and is out-of-this-world delicious, tried it for the the first time the other night. Stuffed romaine leaves with chopped apples, scallions, and about half a jar of kraut! Delicious!

Current Page: 3 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables