Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fruitarians help me or anyone really smiling smiley!!!!!
Posted by: earthangel ()
Date: April 06, 2007 06:19AM

Hey there....haha i have a question for you .......i am new to the raw food well since january 24th and i have a lot of health challenges that i am overcoming...my question is this...I WOULD LOVE TO DO FRUITARIANISM...it is what appeals to me...but i am nervous because i have type 1 diabetes and right now i have to take insulin...although i have gone from lots of insulin 7 shots a day to 1 shot every two days of little amounts but still have to take the shots...whenever i eat fruit i have to take more...the insulin is all natural insulin that the body makes naturally and my holistic dr..said it is okay isn't causing toxins in my body so that is good...but i am nervous if i go on an all fruit diet it will increase a lot....since when i first started i did mostly fruits with a green here and there haha but not much....so i guess i am asking if you or ANYONE out there have any ideas on this....i would love to swing closer to the fruitarian thing but i am worried about my diabetes....it is the insulin dependant type..not the type from weight gain that doesn't require insulin.....i am absolutely certain one day i won't need the insulin or Hope very much so....but i don't want to mess it up by trying out the fruit again and ending up taking more shots.....so any info or direction of where to go is greatly appreciated...i totally support any time of raw diet one chooses but personally feel fruits are for me....and would love to lean more towards them!!!
Thank you much
love earth angel
xoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxox

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fruitarians help me or anyone really smiling smiley!!!!!
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 06, 2007 11:00AM

Opinion:

I hear you. I'm sure (and I'll see if I can find a list) that there are a wide variety of fruits......with varying effects on the glycemic index.....and thus their effect on your blood sugar.

-I'm sure that by changing your health slowly and surely.......with light exercise, light fasting, simple (non-combining) and light eating, deep breathing, healthy sunlight, and joyful living..........your health will 'crowd out' any type of diabetes or other illness.

-Work in VERY small amounts of the fruits that have the most beneficial effect and are the most innocuous on the glycemic index....and you should be fine. In the mean time, if you have to eat more greens or some other kind of vegetable or non-sweet fruit (like tomatoes or sweet peppers)...then that's a good idea too!

-Keep it simple.....and your daily goals VERY small......and you WILL succeed!

-All you can do is what you can do on a daily basis. Thank you for your intelligent question(s).

-Blessings and abundance to you.

-David Z. Mason

Re: Fruitarians help me or anyone really smiling smiley!!!!!
Posted by: khale ()
Date: April 06, 2007 01:22PM

Dr. Neal Barnard (and Fuhrman too I believe) states that all fruits are basically low on the glycemic index excepting watermelon and pineapple, which are very high. But in working with my mother, who is type 2 diabetic and her diet, I have discovered that not all diabetics are created equal. In other words, you have to find out how individual foods affect you.

Barnard allows three or more servings of fruit a day and eight servings! of complex carbohydrates. My mother can not handle that many carbohydrates yet (especially wheat based carbohydrates...she does better on brown rice and brown rice noodles such as Udon and buckwheat or Soba) and still has to be careful with fruit. Ripe bananas, for instance, invariably raises her blood sugar. The more fibrous the fruit, the better for her. (she eats a lot of pears which are one of the fruits highest in fiber)

My mothers blood sugar was over 400 points six weeks ago. It is now down to and stabilizing at 122! She has also lost 10lbs. She is sleeping through the night (she couldn't sleep before at all, it was terrible), her sciatic pain has all but disappeared (she couldn't walk through wally world before, now I am scurrying to keep up with her) and she is starting to look and act like her old self again! It's amazing!

She's basically eating a very low-fat vegan diet, with lots and lots of raw vegetables and some raw fruits. In May she will be eating an all raw night time meal with me.

Essentially what I'm wanting to communicate to you earthangel is that you may need to work up to fruitarianism gradually. As your body heals and repairs itself on a raw food diet, preferably one very low in fat, you should be able to add more and more fruit. In the meantime, the diabetics' body seems to LOVE raw vegetables, in unlimited amounts. so, eat up!

khale

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables