Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I didn't realized how good I felt until I went back to cooked!
Posted by: happyvegan ()
Date: April 21, 2007 04:38AM

I had a rough first raw(ish) week. Maybe I detoxed too hard. Anyways, I ran out of food (wow, who'd have thought raw would be more expensive than organic whole foods vegan?) and was all, "eh, I'm taking the day off."

Big mistake. Huge. Every bite honestly felt like poison, especially the flour products (I ate muffins I made out of organic whole wheat I mill myself). Now, don't get me wrong, I ate a bit of cooked beans and steamed greens every day, as I'm breastfeeding and trying to take the transition slow, but I went from 85% raw to 85% cooked in one day and I feel totally re-toxed, if you know what I mean. Sluggish and heavy and kind of depressed...my mouth is coated with a weird taste instead of clean and fresh.

I'm kind of excited, because that means I now have proof that cooked foods make me feel like crap. And I'm back to the grocery store tomorrow. Yay!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I didn't realized how good I felt until I went back to cooked!
Posted by: miaculpa ()
Date: April 21, 2007 05:22AM

you have NO IDEA how great it was to read this! (not that I am happy that you retoxed, I'm not)

Tomorrow I have a funeral. The hubby and I talked tonight about being tempted by all the cooked goodies at the dinner afterwards. Tomorrow in the 25th day of (mostly 100 percent) raw for us and feeling good/healthy/not sick is very important, especially during this grief we are going through. How easy it would be, I thought, to slip into the old pattern of cooked comfort food! I just don't relish the idea of going through the time you just went through.

Thanks for posting. It gave me a firmer resolve. I am going to tell me husband about your post in the morning!

Posted by: jorgeben ()
Date: October 20, 2007 05:45AM

I can relate! However, don't lump *all* cooked foods in the poison pile. A great deal of them are, but some can be a great compliment to any raw diet in limited quantities.

The problem might be that your digestive strength went way up in that first week, and the cooked food was a shock to your system.

Posted by: annex ()
Date: October 20, 2007 06:24PM

Haha. Me too! I had a similar experience (which I wrote about here: [www.rawfoodsupport.com]).

It is interesting to see that sometimes negative experiences can make you appreciate things better!

Posted by: veganathlete ()
Date: October 21, 2007 02:56AM

I had a similiar experience after being raw for like a week and a half i believe. Somebody made me feel quilty and I ended up eatting two small slices of pizza and man i felt so aweful afterwards. I was at a pizza place the other day with my team and I was watching them all eat pizza...and i was so wanting to grab a piece but then i thought back to how bad i felt when i ate it before...and i did not dare to take a piece...lol. It is a lot easier to stay out of the stuff now that I experienced the "retox"

Posted by: ani{: ()
Date: October 21, 2007 03:24AM

I am right there with ya sist'a! I've been about 90% raw for over a month. Not to get too personal, but its 'that time of the month' and my cravings just went wild. I ate vegan, but it was processed stuff.. tried to start fresh today, did good until I got home from work and I was like, 'man, give me food," and right to the chips and salsa, and then triscuits with vegan cheese [which i heated up in the microwave O: ] I feel like saying the word 'microwave' on a raw food forum is like saying 'devil' in a church. and then I bought Newman's Own organic cookies! (well actually in my defense [against whom?... myself] i turned away from them, but then my hubby bought them and i caved)
and what do you know... I sure don't feel any better. I also have this narly migraine which has been brewing all day, and those cookies did not take it away either.... I caved even more when it came to the migraine, I took Advil and a Benadril(spelling?).
The chips and salsa weren't as good as I'd remembered, the triscuits... you can imagine, and the cookies were in no comparison to raw chocolate even after the 5th one... how humbling to be human.
It is undeniable to say that raw food totally rocks!! Now if only I had Juliano in my kitchen at my beck and call.
Tomorrow is any day and we all have the ability to start fresh (literally!).
ps, any tips for how to get ride of a migraine?
peace and love, ann

Posted by: karennd ()
Date: October 21, 2007 04:27AM

For the few migraines I have had, total darkness (lying in the dark with something over my eyes - sometimes a cool washcloth) helped me to fall asleep and wake up fresh.

I have also read (and a friend verified that it worked for her) that walking worked. She said it was hard to force herself to do it, but she just put one foot in front of the other and she started feeling better in a little bit. The walking produces a chemical or hormone in the brain that helps.

I hope you are feeling better by now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables