Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How long will it keep in the refrigerator before going bad?
Posted by: nannie11 ()
Date: August 20, 2007 05:06PM

Hi everyone:

I made a chocolate pie on Saturday out of Avocado, Cacao, walnuts and dates. It turned out really good. But I am not sure how long you can keep these raw food dishes before they go bad. Can you please tell me how you keep yours fresh and for how long? Do you wrap plastic wrap over it or put it in just the way it is?

thank you

JoAnn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How long will it keep in the refrigerator before going bad?
Posted by: birch ()
Date: August 20, 2007 06:16PM

Sorry, I have no answer for you,

...but I wanted to ask the forum about the young coconut water I drained fresh on Saturday. Is it still good today? How long will it last?

Posted by: frances ()
Date: August 20, 2007 06:31PM

On average, I think my raw dishes do not last as long as cooked ones.

Dehydrated foods will last longer than those with all of their natural water. Preservative agents include oil, vinegar/healthy fermentation, salts, sugars and hot spices. Avocado can oxidize quickly and badly when it's alone, but this can be slowed down dramatically by citrus.

One of my favorite raw recipes, the lasagna from Raw Food, Real World, only lasts three or four days because it contains large slabs of unadorned fresh tomato which spoil in the fridge.

It's hard to tell how long your pie will last without knowing exactly is in it, and probably not easy even knowing. If the pie does age noticeably or actually go bad, I would recommend noting clearly how long it lasted so you'll know when you next try the recipe. You might lose some pie, but you'll be prepared in the future.

Posted by: frances ()
Date: August 20, 2007 06:32PM

birch - I've left coconut water in the fridge for longer than two days without trouble. I'm not sure how long it will last, though, because I never let it go much longer than that.

Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: August 20, 2007 07:09PM

My raw desserts get eaten up by my non-raw family faster than they can spoil. But most are good 3-4 days, 5 at the max....but would depend on the ingredients.

Would you share your recipe for the chocolate pie. It sounds REALLY good!

Date: August 20, 2007 10:49PM

I can't take credit for the chocolate pie. I believe I found it on another raw food talk site. But I would be glad to share it. I did change the amount of the carob powder that the recipe called for as I found the amount to be too over welming for me and my husband. But once I cut down the amount, I really enjoyed eating it. I even ate another piece at 11 o'clock last night!

Here it is, I just wish I knew who posted it about 10 days ago so I could give her the credit due her.

It was called the "Best Chocolate cream pie ever"

Crust

1 1/2 cups of pitted dates

2 cups walnuts

Chop walnuts in processor until desired size

add dates and blend until proper consistancy for pie dough. Then press into pie

plate.

Filling

2 large avocado's

1 cup carob powder ( I used 1/4 cup) you can always add more to tweak it to

your own taste

1/2 cup agave nector or honey

1 tsp cinnomon

pinch of salt

1/4 cup of water or more if needed

Blend all ingred: in processor or blender and fill pie shell with filling and

refrigerate for a couple of hours and then enjoy.

PS: I just ordered the green storage bags that are shown a TV . Does anybody else have these and do they help keep your fruits and veggies to stay fresh for a longer period of time?

Thank you all for your help.

JoAnn

Posted by: aquadecoco ()
Date: August 21, 2007 01:29PM

I used to use them. At first they seemed to help but after several months they seemed to lose their effectiveness. Not sure why.

Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: August 21, 2007 03:43PM

Thanks for the recipe Nannie

Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: August 21, 2007 09:34PM

A similar recipe I have for raw chocolate mousse states 3 days in fridge and 2 weeks in freezer.

Patty

Date: August 23, 2007 12:17PM

Thank you for all your help. I through the remainder of the pie out after 3 days. I went to the store and bought some little pie plates so I could make smaller versions of the pie and not waste so much. It is so easy to make and doesn't take very long that this way it will be very fresh and just the right size for 1 or two people.

I haven't received my green bags yet but I am looking forward to receiving them and keeping my greens fresher for a longer time.

JoAnn

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables