Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Iron Deficiency
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 12, 2008 10:43PM

Hello all,

I just started on raw foods and I'm concerned that I'm not consuming foods rich in iron. I have iron deficiency anemia and I already eat lots of spinach and I take pills 2-3 times a day (and its barely enough because I still feel very weak and tired all the time), but I don't want to have this condition and pop pills forever. My doctor initially recommended meat and spinach, the former I don't eat and the latter I probably eat too much off. So could anyone please recommend foods very rich in iron? Sorry if this question has been asked already.

Thank you.

-Annya

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Iron Deficiency
Posted by: life101 ()
Date: March 12, 2008 11:25PM

Annya, If you are anemic, the best way to immediately rectify it is to get at least two young coconuts and drink the water from them. You can also supplement with Chlorophyll.

When I was bleeding intensely and felt so weakened by the loss of blood, I drank the water from two young coconuts and immediately felt better. (I was very pale, weak, and extremely exhausted. I had released a growth and that caused a severe loss of blood.) The viscosity of coconut water is the same as blood an I've heard that one can use coconut water for blood transfusions rather than real blood. You might want to stock up on some. This method works faster than the chlorophyll method. Young Coconuts are cheaper at Asian food markets. Typically less than $2 ea depending on where one lives.

Good luck. Therese

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 12, 2008 11:47PM

Lots and lots of greens have kept my iron high. Sprouted legumes and seeds (over nuts).

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 12, 2008 11:51PM

Many dark leafy greens contain significant iron content. Same with sprouts. Heck, even the ever-lovable watermelon contains almost 1 mg per wedge. I DO know that vegans and 'regular' eaters have no significant differences regarding incidence of iron deficiency. My opinion is that this is probably more of an absorption issue....along with habitual systemic problems...rather than one of deficiency. This is just my opinion.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Nessi ()
Date: March 13, 2008 12:31AM

Add to that Wheatgrass...and some types of seaweed may help.

And I will be trying the young coconuts next month winking smiley

good luck and good health

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: March 13, 2008 12:32AM

I was anemic during pregnancy and my midwife had me take yellowdock. It both has iron and increases the adsorbtion of iron in other foods or supplements - so it is important to NOT take iron and yellowdock at the same time (same meal) or you will overdose on iron.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 13, 2008 02:00AM

Aside from spinach, also try chard and beet greens. And all the crucifers: broccoli, cabbages, arugula, kale, turnip greens, etc. Also -lettuces, asparagus, mushrooms, tomatoes, all herbs, radishes, sea vegetables, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, olives, coconut, citrus, apricots, berries, peaches, grapes.

Citrus will also help with uptake of iron.

Some iron supplements are difficult for the body to absorb. It depends on the form. It might help to grind it in a coffee grinder before taking.

Also, you have to eat enough! And watch those oils and added sweeteners, they don't have much except for maybe blackstrap molasses.

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: March 13, 2008 02:41AM

chia seeds have 3 times more iron than spinach. Green leafy vegies, wholegrains, buckwheat, onions, garlic, wheatgerm, seame seeds, soya beans, figs, raisins, dates, prunes, apricots, apple and avocado contain iron.

Posted by: garyr ()
Date: March 20, 2008 05:45PM

Raw cacao beans and nibs both have a ton of iron. I just checked my bag of cacao nibs - one serving (1 oz) has 314% of your daily requirement for iron. So if you're looking for a lot of iron in your raw lifestyle, that's a good place to get it.

Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2008 05:49PM by garyr.

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: March 20, 2008 07:53PM

I have low iron that went even lower after being on 100% raw, BUT I have more energy and I feel so much healthier. I supposedly have low stomach acid and don't absorb iron very well. I trust that over time (longer than two years raw), my body will eventually be able to absorb iron better than it currently does.

In the meantime, I will occasionally take an iron pill. I also take B12 sometimes, since I was low in that, as well.

As for the young coconuts, they didn't increase my iron levels at all. However, they *did* decrease my cholesterol to an extremely healthy level within one month of consuming one coconut per day!

Good luck and trust your body and instincts!

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
XOXO

Posted by: greenpower ()
Date: March 20, 2008 08:18PM

Greens will probably be your best option.

There is a weed called chickweed, if you know it, it is an extremely rich source of iron, and the taste is bland, very good for a blended salad.

Yellow dock is also super for iron. You won't need tablets!

Greenpower

Visit my website and my blog!

[www.natureshealingsecrets.com] (closed on Sundays)

Posted by: TigerDak ()
Date: March 20, 2008 08:57PM

If you are deficient in iron, then you're deficient in probably quite a few other minerals. Your body is probably lacking in vitamin C, cobalt, iodine, manganese, calcium, and copper, all of which close relations with iron and assist in regulating the transport and absorption of iron.

You need to eat a lot of raw food. I recommend eating a huge variety of plants, such as greens, lots of fruits, and nuts and seeds. The more you eat the better!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2008 08:59PM by TigerDak.

Posted by: greenpower ()
Date: March 21, 2008 12:43PM

Iron deficiency may not be about not getting enough iron in your diet. It can be a matter of not being able to absorb or utilize the available iron. I read that experiments were done where anemia was successfully treated by fasting!

Greenpower

Visit my website and my blog!

[www.natureshealingsecrets.com] (closed on Sundays)

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 21, 2008 01:33PM

A daily favorite drink of mine is made by putting just enough water in my Vita Mixer to cover the blades and turning it on low speed. Then I add a few ice cubes through the top. I follow that with about 9 oz of spinach, or romaine, or kale, or a combination of those greens. I move the speed to high and blend until smooth and drink fresh. Its a great drink to get lots of plant chelated minerals like iron along with all the other nutrients in the greens.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables