Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
80/10/10 question
Posted by: perbetty ()
Date: March 25, 2008 09:24PM

I just got on the diet, but I don't have the book. (I'm in a foreign country and don't have access to it right now.) I'm going on very little information, but still, I'm convinced because it's working for me. Someone said 10 almonds or 1/3 an avocado is good for the day. Can you tell me how much coconut is good for a day?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 80/10/10 question
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 25, 2008 09:51PM

If you eat 2000 calories per day, 71 g of coconut meat would give you 10% overt fat (and about 14% total fat calories).

But since your f+v also have some fat (about 3-5%) if you wanted 10% total fat you could eat about 43 g of coconut meat for 10% total fat calories.

This is for one of those standard brown coconuts with hard flesh. The wet ones would take more g for the same calories since they are holding more water.

Date: March 25, 2008 10:21PM

Thanks, Arugula. Okay, I just did the Fitday thing, and I guess I'm finding that coconut's not such a great idea, since it's hard to find protein w/out fat, but easy to find fat w/out protein--coconut being my case in point. Could I get a sampling of what I should eat for protein and fat then?

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 25, 2008 10:34PM

80/10/10 has 10/10 as a maximum--so you don't *have* to anything besides protein and veggies for fat. If it comes out, say, 84/8/8, that's fine (I made that up). I would just play around with fitday to see how much overt fat you can get away with.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: March 25, 2008 10:39PM

I tracked it at first, but I dont anymore

when not fasting I pretty much only eat fruit and veggies, no overt fats, avos, nuts etc..so never have a problem with hitting less than 10/10

If you can order the book from amazon its very good. You wont have to be a slave to fitday or the measuring scales!

Date: March 25, 2008 10:50PM

Thanks Guys. I just ordered the book--you're right, it's back in stock @ Amazon. Any more insights are welcome, as I won't get the book for a month at least.

Date: March 25, 2008 11:09PM

There was an old high fruit low fat thread..shud give you an idea of menu

I will fish it out for you

Here we go

High fruit low fat experiment

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Gives you an idea of amounts

Dont get tied down to all the measuring stuff, makes it stressful when it should be enjoyable.

Just enjoy your fruits and veggies -- play with smoothies, sauces and dishes if you wish! world is your... err.. orange!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2008 11:12PM by rawdanceruk.

Date: March 25, 2008 11:39PM

The higher protein raw foods that are not high in fat are basically greens. Also baby zucchini, which you could juice with other greens and maybe a piece of fruit.

Date: March 26, 2008 10:23AM

Great to know, Arugula. Okay, one more question (I think). People are mentioning veggies. Don't I not have to eat my veggies on this diet? It's not just fruit, fat and protein?

Date: March 26, 2008 01:00PM

The fat and protein are from the veggies. Otherwise it's very easy to overshoot fat and protein amts. Dr. Graham recommends "tender leafy greens" like lettuce as well as non-sweet fruit.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: March 26, 2008 01:10PM

perbetty, you really should try for the book if at all possible, it is a must have in any raw food book collection I feel. There are other raw paths to follow, but the book answers any possible questions in following 80/10/10, including menu aides, etc.

Posted by: claire ()
Date: March 26, 2008 01:39PM

I would also recommend getting the book, I have just finished it and really enjoyed it.

Date: March 26, 2008 07:54PM

Perbetty, if you do like Graham suggests and are very active, it is possible that you might get enough protein and minerals without greens.

But I think it's much more likely if you include greens. I do.

Date: March 27, 2008 10:36AM

Thanks all so much for this info. It's been very helpful. The book is on it's way!

Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: March 29, 2008 11:23PM

Did you get your book Perbetty? I just got mine! I am AMAZED at the amount of food to be eaten on a daily basis. Maybe this is why I have been struggling - I am NOT getting enough food....? I love how he has sample days with sample menus. This is a huge help for me, even though I know that people on this site have recommended using sites to plug in calories, etc. to make sure we are getting enough (nutridiary?) I find Dr. D's menu suggestions very helpful. I have only looked the book over a bit and will spend more time on it again tonight. I would love to hear your feedback when you get the book, and think I will check out the other 80-10-10 thread again now that I have my own copy.

Date: March 29, 2008 11:53PM

You will soon learn what is the right ratio and not have to plug it all in!

When not fasting I eat high fruit..some greens/non-sweet fruits. Never have a problem hitting the ratio.

Your stomach will get used to the amounts, you may find after a while you need less food

Book is fab smiling smiley

Date: March 30, 2008 01:41AM

I went back to that site, and phew, I couldn't really read much. It was so negative, everyone fighting and calling names. Is there a place where people doing 80-10-10 be of support to each other rather than bash each other or the creator? I am wondering if there is a plaec on this site or maybe on dougs actual site, or another site altogether. Bryan are you still following 80-10-10?

Date: March 30, 2008 06:43AM

I am aspiring to do 80/10/10.

I liked the book and things made a lot of sense.

Veggiefreak....I couldn't believe how much food he recommends, either! I don't think I've been getting enough...

If there isn't a specific place to discuss 80/10/10 in a supportive way, maybe we could create one? Like a thread on the blog forum or something?

Claire

Date: March 30, 2008 01:07PM

Great idea Claire - weren't you also struggling with 3pm binges? I have, and it might be a signal that I just wasn't eating enough prior to that. We'll see. I would love to start a new thread, or find one already going somewhere. I could have sworn I have seen one somewhere - or maybe I am thinking about people who blog about 80-10-10. I still haven't gotten through the book,but am going to try one of is sample menus today and see how I feel. I'll keep you posted winking smiley

Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: March 30, 2008 02:12PM

Could you give me an example of how much food he recommends? Like, a typical "meal"? I just ordered the book, but I'm curious NOW! winking smiley I feel physically good eating 80/10/10, but mentally I'm quite spaced-out, so I'm thinking maybe I just need to eat MORE.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: March 30, 2008 05:21PM

He simply recommends eating to meet your calorie needs. The menus are designed for 2000ish calorie days, if that is what your weight and activity level require. Simply adjust from there. They are just guidelines for the beginner mainly. There is alot of variety and even food combining. Again, this is to get one started and eventually one will adapt to more mono meals and simple eating hopefully.

Date: March 30, 2008 06:46PM

Oh shoot - my book isn't with me, but in the am he would recommend for ex
4 cups of orange juice

At lunch - 2 lbs of bananas (some of which he just eats and sometimes he recommends blending them into "banana milk"winking smiley

dinner - three courses starting with a juice or fruit, then a blended soup, and then a "salad" with lettuce and then a blended fruit dressing.

I will post an actual day when I have my book back later on!

Date: March 30, 2008 08:20PM

Yes, it was me who was struggling at 3pm......*sighs* lol

I have also come to the conclusion that I simply wasn't eating enough. I felt FULL, but looking at fitday I seemed to be getting about 1200 cals a day and I do quite a lot of exercise so I'm sure that wasn't enough.

By the way, now I've really tried to focus on eating MORE fruit during the day, I'm finding that I can tolerate a fruit breakfast, whereas that used to mean a bad craving day for me before.

I'm still keeping my lettuces handy, though smiling smiley If I feel that I have eaten enough but get that craving feeling out comes the lettuce ha ha

I'm going to start an 80/10/10 thread on the blog forum...hope this is OK with you all

Date: March 31, 2008 02:38PM

Enchantress -
Here is what he recommends/a sample meal"

Breakfast -
16 oz fresh squeezed oj
8oz strawberries
8oz mango

Lunch
2lbs bananas

Dinner
16oz oj

spinach red pepper soup
8oz spinach
8oz red bell peppers
8oz oranges
Blend all ingred

Orange pistachio salad
8oz baby spinach
8oz red-leaf lettuce
4 oz oranges
1 oz pistachios
Chop spinach and lettuce, blend oranges and pistachio, add the dressing to the salad.

Calories - 2028
83%carbs
8%protein
9%fat

I had the drink this am, and while I was a bit concerned about "ALL THAT FRUIT," it was amazing, totally 100% filling, almost too filling, and so satisfying. Not sure I am going to follow this exact meal plan for the rest of the day, but will keep you posted!

Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: April 01, 2008 04:44AM

Thank you smiling smiley.

Date: April 01, 2008 01:36PM

I should post this in the other 80-10-10 thread, but will also do it here since we are talking about the meals.

I felt incredible yesterday, although dinner was rough.
I HATED the "soup" - only ate a bit of it. (It was actually like a yucky green smoothie - and most times I love green smoothies. I think it was the orange - and I forgot to deseed the orange before I blended. I once read that orange seeds taste AWFUL.)

The salad was so hugely enormous, although I didn't even use the full 16oz of greens. Weighing out and measureing my stuff has taught me so much in the past few weeks. I had NO IDEA how little I was actually getting.
The dressing for the salad was "okay" - I only had brazil nuts, not pistachios and there was only enough dressing for about 8oz of greens, maybe. I just didn't feel satisfied with the salad - I love big chunky salads with lots of veggies as opposed to a pound of greens. And, I know that this is his way of getting the greens in, but for me blending them into a TASTY green smoothie is way better.

I think that I would be into the more tamato-ey based soups, or some of the other suggestions on here than a lot that he lists in the book. I could see myself becoming a true fruitarian though, wow is it ever a treat to eat all of this fruit!!!

Oh - and one more thing - I was not really that hungry by the time dinner rolled around, which is a new thing for me. Usually I am starving and want all the wrong things. So, while I was disappointed with how the food tasted, I was pretty satisfied after drinking the fresh squeezed juice, and could have stopped there.

Date: April 03, 2008 04:18PM

Veggiefreak, I loved your post. All this has been great info. since I have to wait so long for my book. Anyway, wanted to share the yummy gazpacho I made yesterday:

Blended:
1 cucumber
2 tomatoes
a pinch sea salt
a garlic clove (don't know if garlic is supposed to be a part of 80/10/10, but until I read a VERY good reason why not, I'm sticking with it)

Diced and thrown in:
1 tomato
1 Tbs. onion (see garlic comment)
cilantro

And finally:
a squeeze of lime
freshly grated pepper (actually, I shook in a dash of Tobasco instead)

God it was good.

Date: April 05, 2008 10:56AM

More Q's:

[Perbetty, if you do like Graham suggests and are very active, it is possible that you might get enough protein and minerals without greens.]

What does being active have to do with getting enough protein w/out greens? (I have a green smoothie and a salad each day, but I'd like to know anyway.)

Claire and Veggiefreak, where's the other 80/10/10 forum you're talking about? Where can I find this blog forum?

Date: April 05, 2008 05:38PM

If you are not active your calorie needs are very low. If you are eating less calories, you are eating less protein. It might not be enough. 1000 calories of fruit, for instance, doesn't have enough protein.

You have to be active to be healthy (to what degree is debatable. Marathon running certainly doesn't promote longevity). Being active will also increase calorie needs.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: April 05, 2008 05:45PM

perbetty,

The place to get 80/10/10 information directly from Doug Graham is the Raw Foods and Sports Nutrition forum at vegsource.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables