Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Wheatgrass juice - what a disgusting taste!
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 30, 2008 03:44PM

All those that enjoy wheatgrass juice please advice me. With great excitement I have grown and juiced my first batch of wheatgrass. I proudly held my shot glass up to the light, admired and then drank - wow - my daughter couldn't stop laughing at my face - it was DISGUSTING.(juice and face!) We drank it between us even though I wasn't at all sure it would stay there. The little worm of wheatgrass residue has the power to smell out the kitchen whenever I go in there.

I drank some wheatgrass juice in a juice bar and although I couldn't say I liked it I'm sure it wasn't as powerful as mine.

What am I going to do? I have invested time and money into setting this up. Is it possible to mix the wheatgrass juice in to another juice or will it taint the whole thing unbearably.

I'm sure I've seen one or two of you saying that you like the taste - are we talking about the same thing???

help help help

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wheatgrass juice - what a disgusting taste!
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 30, 2008 03:54PM

I tried growing wheatgrass and drinking its juice but I gag on it. I Used to make myself drink it for its health benefits but finally stopped. I tried mixing it with different things and it over powered everything I mixed it with. I tried chasing it with different foods but the bad taste would come back. Maybe some people's taste buds are different then mine ? My taste buds say "Yuck".

Posted by: garyr ()
Date: April 30, 2008 04:42PM

I came to the same conclusion as you. I don't care for wheatgrass juice. It doesn't even smell good.

However, since I spent the money to get all the stuff to grow it, I've found it works really well in green smoothies. I juice it, then put the juice in my morning smoothie - add a lemon (this is the key) and you won't even notice it in there.

Gary

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 30, 2008 05:10PM

Even worse, with spring coming around, whenever I smell freshly mowed grass, my whole stomach wrenches and says, "ARGH WHEATGRASS angry smiley "

I choke it back for the health benefits, especially when salads don't appeal to me.

Fortunately, salads started appealing to me, so I've been able to opt out of my every-other-day shots... If I ever display the slightest signs of irritated gumline/tooth pain, however, I'll be back at the juice bar and chugging 2-3 oz/day. Eww. And swishing with it. Wheatgrass is worlds better than having a red toothbrush, jaw pain, or having to get my last two wisdom teeth yanked! I can't stress enough how it really worked miracles for me in the mouth department.

I think it's helped my digestion run more efficiently, too.

I'm not a fan of the smell or the taste, but I am a fan of feeling great! It's good to know I have somewhere to turn if things start getting rough inside the body.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: April 30, 2008 05:22PM

Wheatgrass Juice is strong stuff, not for the faint-hearted.
The best time to take it is first thing in the morning. I have 2 to 3
ounces, mixed with enough Water to make 5 ounces total.
Don't give up on Wheatgrass Juice so quickly. If grown properly, it's
the Best Nutrition you can get.
I'll soon be doing a 7-day Wheatgrass Juice Fast. Gotta put my
money where my mouth is......WY

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: April 30, 2008 05:26PM

LOL!!!

what a great thread!

i actually do enjoy the taste of wheatgrass juice, but i might just be addicted to the high...

i drink kale and collard greens and spinach is by far the least offensive, but everyone in my family drinks them all and wheatgrass is not especially offensive to any of us....

peace-

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 30, 2008 05:47PM

i do admit i did get a buzz whenever i drank wheatgrass

but didn't care too much for the smell/taste

though, on the other side, it did leave a sort of sweet aftermath residue

gary says to put a lemon to mask the wheatgrass taste ( is this true gary?)

that sounds neat

it sounds like what happened at a farmer's market where this woman was selling
garlic paste ( organic raw garlic) spiced with other spices

but it didn't have the stinkiness about it and she said the trick is to mix it with flaxseed oil to get that sting out

i guess that is what u are saying with the wheatgrass?

hmmm... there was another thread concerning mold

that was my concern

however if u grow your own and clip it immediately

i guess that shouldn't be a concern

Posted by: garyr ()
Date: April 30, 2008 06:07PM

la_veronique

I put the wheatgrass juice in my smoothies. When I first started putting wheatgrass juice in my smoothies, it made the taste unappealing to me. Then I learned the trick to just stick a lemon in the smoothie - problem solved.

That's been my solution since I haven't acquired a taste for wheatgrass yet.

Gary

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: May 01, 2008 12:42AM

You might try a shot glass of it, chased by large glass of orange juice. Or just add a little bit into some oj and try that. I don't mind the taste too much in the juice bar, but I haven't been compelled to grown my own.

My former room-mate loved cutting it from the tips and throwing into her salads.

If you don't like it, and wretch at the thought of drinking it, just chaulk it up to lesson learned and dump it and maybe try later when you are more years into raw?

Love,
Prism

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 01, 2008 03:07AM

ha ha ha! laughing 'cause i hate it too but i have the remedy!

for goodness sake stop putting it in your smoothie though! it's a cleanser, it can't work very well mixed in with all that other stuff. might as well not take it and just have kale or spinach or something.
here's the secret... if you mix a shot with pure apple juice, even just a small amount of apple, it totally cancels out the taste of the grass. i'm not kidding, you can't taste it at all. the sweetness of the apple balances it out somehow, it's amazing. give it a go! even if it's just so you can enjoy the smell of fresh mowed lawn again, that's a lovely fragrance.

good luck!!

Date: May 01, 2008 11:12AM

I tried it this morning with the juice of 3 apples, i inch of pineapple, chunk of cucumber, 2 sticks of celery, quarter of a lemon and half a lime. That made a pint and I put 1 oz of wheatgrass juice in it. Well that made it bearable. I can hardly believe that apple juice alone will cancel the taste but I will give it a go. How many apples per oz of wheatgrass I wonder?

As an aside - I have heard that you should cut wheatgrass before it has 2 leaves but mine had two leaves before it was tall enough to cut. does it matter and if so why?

thanks

p.s. As well as being a cleanser it has all those nutrients in it too and they won't be lost in a smoothie. I did wonder if something sweeter would help. Could people please put up their recipes - I want to try lots of different things.

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: May 01, 2008 05:43PM

LOL. I actually really like the taste...

Date: May 01, 2008 06:36PM

lots of people love the taste but even more people hate it. when i was juicing shots at the sprout house the smell was nauseating for me but the power of the grass is undeniable. a lot of the time if you hate it it's because it is detoxing you lots and fast, if that's the case you can slow down a bit until it's not such a powerful experience.

yes, the apple works on it's own, way better in fact than mixing it with other things too. try it, you'll see. a small glass of apple with one shot of grass is a good ratio. and sure all the nutrients are still in there if you mix it with bunches of other stuff but less is sometimes more in my opinion. if you load a drink up with so many things i think a lot of it goes to waste, your body can only process so much at once. just a couple of ingredients, and just an easily drinkable amount (a litre at a time is really a lot, too much i think) taken one small mouthful at a time, swished around in the mouth before swallowing. better to have two medium sized smoothies a day than one huge one you guzzle. and best to take wheatgrass on it's own or in a very simple combination. try that for a couple of weeks and see how you feel, i noticed a big difference myself.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: May 01, 2008 09:22PM

I liked it from day 1, when I was probably eating a fairly lousy veg diet--if you don't like it, don't sweat it. There are plenty of healthy things out there you do like, so enjoy those.

With other things, I would imagine it would be gross. Shots are best IMO.

Date: May 01, 2008 09:32PM

I find that wheatgrass juice is really a delightful drink if prepared properly. I mix my wheatgrass juice with a Granny Smith apple and a regular red delicious apple. The tart Granny Smith cuts the sweet taste of the wheatgrass juice.
However, my very first try with wheatgrass is right after we picked fresh Pink Lady apples from an orchard. I used two. They are very tart. That is, they have not been mellowed out (as sold in grocery stores) for 4 to 6 weeks in a controlled environment. That drink was absolutely delicious. I have been doing this for almost ten years. And mostly everyday.

Date: May 01, 2008 11:55PM

Wheatgrass juice is certainly one of those things that you either love or hate the taste of. I agree with a few posters here though, your desire for the effects and 'kick' can fast outgrow your distaste for it!

Wheatgrass is my business and I've got a few recipes you can try to drown the taste - mixing it with other juices won't effect its benefits

[www.sprout.net.au]

Cheers!

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: May 02, 2008 12:44AM

I'm not a fan of 'neat' wheat grass juice. It makes me gag, too.

I make my wheat grass juice in my k-tec blender. It's diluted with a little water, and then I add lemon juice. Lemon juice is the key. It tastes fine, I get the buzz without gagging, and I didn't have to buy a wheat grass juicer.

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: May 02, 2008 04:05AM

I swoosh the green stuff for as long as I stand before swallowing it. Sometimes it does gag me if it is real strong but the bennies outweigh the taste and besides I have learned to really like it. Sometimes it takes about 2o minutes before I actually feel a head rush after drinking it and I even get the giggles. I have fed my grand baby some, just a few drops and he gets real happy and even giggles with joy. I thing it is so good for people. My daughter can't tolerate it though, it makes her very sick to drink it. I really think it helped me quit smoking. I love how it makes me feel

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: May 02, 2008 04:09AM

flipperjan,

There are others who don't like the taste of wheatgrass, myself included. I've had less than a dozen shots of wheatgrass in my entire life, and at some point I concluded that it didn't agree with me, and I quit taking it. That was about 5 years ago or so.

Date: May 02, 2008 02:17PM

Bryan Wrote:
-----------------------------------------------------
> ....at some point I concluded that it didn't agree
> with me, and I quit taking it.
It's all a matter of our Bodies pH level. I've
decided that an Alkaline Body is best for me. That means
Wheatgrass Juice, Carrot Juice, Greens, and Green Smoothies.
A heavy Fruit eater, like yourself Bryan, is just naturally
turned-off with Wheatgrass Juice. When I don't feel like
drinking Wheatgrass Juice, I have to modify my diet until I
do. That usually means eliminating Fruit.
It all depends on your point-of-view.....WY

Posted by: warm-glow ()
Date: May 03, 2008 04:06AM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> It's all a matter of our Bodies pH level. I've
> decided that an Alkaline Body is best for me. That
> means
> Wheatgrass Juice, Carrot Juice, Greens, and Green
> Smoothies.

I use pHydrion paper to check my pH.
I tear off a strip and pee on it.
Then match it to the color chart.
I agree that an alkaline body is best for me too.

Date: May 03, 2008 09:16AM

It really depends on the wheatgrass and how it is grown.

I also prefer to chew up the grass and then spit out the pulp like bubble gum rather than trying to down a shot like it's tequila.

Date: May 03, 2008 12:49PM

sure, that can be fun. i've thought about only eating the nuts and seeds in one sitting that i can easily shell myself right there but sometimes the convenience of pre-shelled has it's appeal. same for me with juices and smoothies, i can chew all that stuff up or i can use the blender or juicer. just depends on what i feel i need at the time. i treat those things like vitamin supplements, better than a pill or capsule though maybe not the most ideal. that would be foods that are still as nutrient rich as nature intended but that doesn't happen like it used to so... juice it is. it's a pretty good second best i think.

Posted by: mauiart ()
Date: May 05, 2008 12:56AM

I like to juice fresh wheat grass with a handful of fresh parsley which is much gives a more accepable favoror. Also you could add fresh kale leaves which to me are horrible cooked. The final juice tases wonderfully of parsley. Also make sure you drink this concoction on an empty stomach to avoid the nausea usually associated with wheat grass consumption.

Date: May 05, 2008 10:13AM

nope - I've given up. Wheatgrass is not for me.

Date: May 05, 2008 08:19PM

I looove WG, but didn't the first few times I had it. I think it is an acquired taste that your body gets used too. If you take small doses at a time and build up to the 2 oz serving. Also never gulp it down it is meant to be sipped in tiny amounts so you do not overwhelm your body. If you do you get a rush and sick queasy feeling because it is so potent and detoxifying all at once. Also i find it is really nice mixed with celery/apple juice or young coconut juice. after wa while you will think wheat grass tastes sweet on its own (hard to believe now..)

anyhow-you can always sell your juicer and supplies to someone else on this forum or craigslist or ebay. there are always healhty thrifty people looking for cheaper juicers (i was once)

Date: May 05, 2008 08:23PM

personally i enjoy chewing it the most and spitting out the pulp....

Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: May 05, 2008 09:58PM

I like Wheatgrass juice. But if you think that's horrid, stay away from that E3 Live supplement. It's vile..but I like the feeling from it. So I use a syringe to bypass the taste. LOL

Date: May 05, 2008 10:06PM

you know, it might be worth it to hold on to your equiptment and try again later on, you may find your tastes changing. mine certainly did.

Date: May 05, 2008 10:55PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> you know, it might be worth it to hold on to your
> equiptment and try again later on, you may find
> your tastes changing. mine certainly did.
That's good advice, Coco. I wish I had now
some of the equipment I've disposed of over the years....WY

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables