Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Current Page: 16 of 21
Re: committed to RAW
Posted by: Soraya ()
Date: May 25, 2008 05:48PM

**Blushing**

Thank you lots, dear! You seem like an intelligent, introspective and searching individual yourself! Definitely my kind of person! We will be sure to stay connected, won't we?

Had a half hour or so sunbath this morning - I only do that in the morning sun, preferably before 11:30 am or so; I swear that I can feel the difference in the sun's effects on my skin immediately after mid-day. Even though I have darker / ethnic skin (ethnic - I sound like some far-away exotic creature, don't I!), I am still mindful of the sun's harmful side as well as it's benefits. Being raw has been so great for my skin, however, as I don't feel on fire anymore after five minutes on one side (front/back), as happened last year...OUCH! I didn't burn, but I couldn't handle it, either...

Yep, I love me some Sherlock Holmes! I really enjoy the style and quality of the language as Mr. Doyle wields it. Another author who is exemplary with regards to the genius expression of the written word - and do you want good scary stuff that you can't tear yourself away from??? - is Edgar Allen Poe. MAN his twisted tales are...are...magnificent!!!

***Come with me, if you will, into the distant pass, somewhere on a scenic island...see that eleven year old girl over there lugging home the total limit of library books allowed for someone her age - six - once a week. Let's have a look at what she's juggling; The complete Tales and Sonnets of Edgar Allen Poe, Egyptian Mythology, Norse Mythology, works by William Shakespeare (another writer of yummy deliciousness!), etc, etc..."We don't even have ADULTS who read this stuff!" exclaims the shocked librarian once more as she checks out yet another mountain of thick books, "HOW old are you??? You really read this stuff?!?" I LOVED keeping her on her toes!!!***

Okay, time to head outside - going to tear myself away and lose myself in literary heaven...

Have a great day!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elakti ()
Date: May 26, 2008 12:07AM

Hi there, glad you are having a restful day,too. I took watermelon and a book outside, but did gardening instead of reading. Had a few plants from Home Depot (the hydrotherapist is across the street from there, so I think I'll be bringing plants home each colonic visit). The patio is looking nice. Why don't I have any tomato plants out there?? I am out of tomatoes now. Oh, they were so good, organic grape tomatoes. I sliced them lengthwise because they were so beautiful inside.

Next colonic, tomato plants!

Yes, let's be raw food buddies. I enjoy your journal. It is good to have support. I was rattling along in my journal for while there with no contact, until Sundancer and then you popped in. It makes a difference to have someone I can relate to.

Food has been good so far today....just finished a salad. Feel a little bit of craving for something not raw. sigh. I will get through it without succumbing. It isn't too strong, but it is there. I think it must be for carbohydrates. Or, I need to rest. smiling smiley

Ta ta!
~moi

Date: May 26, 2008 02:24PM

good morning! good afternoon! good day!

eat well breathe deeply smile and laugh and enjoy your day! smiling smiley

Elakti

Date: May 26, 2008 06:42PM

Thank you, dear, and right back at 'cha! winking smiley

It makes a great difference to me to have someone(s!) to relate to and bounce things off of, you know? Especially since I don't know any other raw foodies in "real" life; nobody else is going to understand our own inherent challenges and celebrate our small victories with us!

Looking at what is left of my supply today was a tad disheartening; even though I thought I'd gotten a pretty good amount of food a few days ago, I actually should have bought a good deal more - especially since it was one of those rare occasions that I got a ride! I just haven't gotten the hang of accurately guesstimating how much produce I need - why is it so hard? Has anyone else had / been having any trouble with this???

I bought:

- a LOT of oranges and bananas - but should've been more!
- black apricots, which I've never had
- mangoes, which I put aside to ripen
- watermelon slices, some organic; the first time I've seen organic watermelon there!...The whole ones there were SO small I didn't think it worth it
- a small bag of cherries (the ripest ones of the lot on display)and there weren't many to choose from!
- a few avocado
- bags of frozen mixed berries and a large one of blueberries
- a couple heads of organic cauliflower

..had some organic tomatoes left over from my previous trip, so that was fine; also a bag of carrots...

I really should find out if I would be able to buy things from there by the box,shouldn't I? And I may be able to get some things (fingers crossed) from Costcos occasionally during the summer when someone I know has to go stock up on supplies for their weekend barbeques - their bulk fruit/vegge prices are pretty darned good!!! I have to make my salary stretch as much as I possibly can...

I never thought I'd be ordering nuts online either, but that's what I found myself doing on Friday; I've been having an increasingly strong urge for almonds, so I ordered some Spanish ones from NutsOnline...they arrive tomorrow, and I can't wait!!! I haven't been eating nuts or seeds at all for a few weeks, now, but I am going to decimate those Almonds when they get here!

Okay...I'm off now to have a brief "conversation" with half a melon, and then I'll finish up a bit of housework...

Until later!

Date: May 27, 2008 03:15PM

Mornin'. We ARE having the same challenge of what to buy ,how much, how much money can I spend, how to get it home!

Cosco does have some good tasting fruit, I've been surprised by it. Only been twice....same, when with a friend who has a card and who was doing a big shop for a party. I'm reconciled to fact I have to also do some more economical shopping. I just cannot afford to buy everything all the time from People"s. Yesterday I did pick up a bundle from other store...and lugged it home.

Need to make a good smoothie to start day.

Have a great day.
smiling smiley

Date: May 31, 2008 02:48AM

Hoping you are feeling all right and are not too heavy with sadness. I sympathize with you for going through that; and best wishes to the person in the hospital.

You take care of yourself, too, and keep moving forward. HUG.

Elakti

Date: June 02, 2008 11:07PM

Thank you for the hug...need(ed) that! I'm feeling a bit better now but I try not to think of my sweetie too much - losing two animals in a month's time is just plain HARD, man! So I had to take a little time to myself, but now I have the energy to post here again ;-)

Haven't really posted a lot of food check-ins lately, so I thought I'd try doing that a little more often; keep in mind that I'm a petite 5'1" -ish and not one to normally eat a lot! Here's 4 days' worth of food:

*5/28

- pint of OJ
-fruit smoothie of 5-6 average nanas, mixed berries & extra blueberries
- 1/4 watermelon
- another fruit smoothie (w. an apple added in)
- an actual salad with GREENS! Not been into greens lately...
1 shredded Romaine heart, baby carrot and cukes, 1/4 red bell pepper, 2 campari tomatoes, sprinke sprouted beans - had to work a little to actually finish all of this!
- 7 morcona almonds

***note to self - too many salad ingredients...felt off the next day. Will not do that again!***

*5/29
- Pint OJ
- Smoothie of 4 large nanas and berries
- 1/4 watermelon
- more OJ! @ 25ozs
- @ 8 apricots
- romaine heart, 1/2 red bell and half avocado (MUCH better)
- 7 almonds

*6/1
- Pint OJ
- Smoothie of 4 large nanas and berries
- 2 large juicy mangoes
- 1/4 watermelon
- 3/4 large cauliflower head and 1/2 avocado

AND

*6/2
- Smoothie of 5 nanas and berries
- 1/4 watermelon
- 3 more of those large mangoes...uhmmmnnnn.....heaven!
- 3 campari tomatoes and 1 avocado
- 7 almonds
- in an hour, will have another smoothie
***just about out of food...must hit market tomorrow!!!***

And, yes, I AM very satiated at the end of each day! A recent discovery of mine has been finding that if I am 'wanting' at the end it's usually a craving because of feeling stressed out - a pint of OJ handles that rather nicely and all's well in my world again!

That's all I have steam for today...I think tomorrow may see a longer posting. Goodbye for now!

Date: June 03, 2008 01:52AM

Oh, your food sounds very good! Yes, some of my salads are multi-multi-ingredient, but sometimes only 3 or 4. Early days again still for me.

Your food list really does sound good. You are a good example to me.
A nice glass of oj does appeal to me, too, for a de-stressor and harmonizer.

You haven't read Graham's 80-10-10?

My box came today!!! I have lots of new books to read and I have the spiralizer now, which I haven't yet investigated. The box came when I was getting ready to leave for colonic, but I ripped it open gleefully and took the Monarch book with me. More info!

I'm glad you are feeling better. So happy to see your posts! smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley

Date: June 03, 2008 05:33PM

Hello hello hello hello!!!!

I'm doing a little jig because I feel so good after colonic yesterday ~~~~
and am down 4 pounds!!! Good release!

Eating well as I can, reading, and trying to stay calm about my work situation.

Hope you are feeling well ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Have a good day! Smiles~~~~~~~~~~~

Elakti

Date: June 03, 2008 11:37PM

(Still) Having a wonderful day, thank you! I was able to quickly go and run a couple of errands, and I just got back from the market - yea!!!

I tell you, being raw is the most painful (will explain!), most beautiful path I've been on in a while...let's see...from October (?). The "side effect" that has impacted me the most has been the transformation of my emotional "body", so to speak.

I'm not just refering to emotional detox...I'm going much deeper than that. From earliest childhood I've been disassociative when it comes to feeling anything; I literally stepped out of myself to numb/escape all the pain and confusion in my life. Do that long enough and you forget HOW to feel and don't know how to decipher WHAT you are feeling. Anger, sadness and fear were my only companions for over 25 years or so. From pre-teen on I was also very suicidal...

Years of therapy did do something, but only could go so far; thank God I'm as introspective as I am, cause that really helped to save my butt... changing my diet and eliminating gluten and lots of other things created major change as well. Why is it that most professionals don't know about the food/mind/spirit connection, and how food allergies play a major part in anxiety,etc (rhetorical question, I assure you!)???

Then I found out about Aspergers / High functioning Autism, and my whole world shifted. Now so many things made sense!!!! Around the same time I was learning more and more about the Raw lifestyle as well, and making a more conscious transition. Raw just connects you to your emotions in a way that nothing else will. Now I can't stuff things away or disassociate; it just shows up, whether I want it to or not. I cry, laugh, feel DEEPLY at the turn of a dime, whereas once before I could go through a situation like I was reading a book or looking at a picture hanging on a wall...no reaction on my part emotionally. That's why the death of two of my "furbabies" (I take care of some animals as part of my job) in the past month has slammed me; I didn't expect to be affected as hard as I was...that's why I haven't been around much for a few days...

This process is painful and somewhat distressing, BUT I also find it oddly refreshing and liberating...don't know how to adequately explain it... But have been thinking that when we come across (potential) newbies to Raw, we who know owe it to them to really stress the importance of preparing to have an emotional upheaval, and beginning - if not already doing so - a practice of stress management techniques BEFORE going high / all raw. I think this is a big reason why many people trip-up on the diet; we focus on the diet too much and forget the other all too important factors to be considered!

See...there...that all just tumbled out of me - couldn't hold it back if I tried! ;-)

***Foodwise...all I've had today was two of my large nana-berry smoothies - out of food! - but got a ride to and from market so now have replenished my supplies somewhat. Will problably just have a pint of OJ for dinner...that's what I'm really jonesing for!***

Date: June 04, 2008 05:26AM

Soraya---that is really interesting. I feel for you, sorry that you had such a path, and I understand that this is really a major transformation. You are doing an incredible work and it sounds that you are up to the challenge. Do stay on the raw diet, it is the best thing for you. It is a process of self-awareness and transformation, it is indeed. You're right, people don't realise the magnitude of the changes, the deep layers that reveal. It is another reason that it is so difficult---the emotional psychological layers.

I've had an enormous amount of depression in my life too, so I understand what it is like to deal with that.

It must be quite an experience for you to be going through these surges of emotions and feelings. It sounds like you are doing fantastic. Are you using any tools to help process all this, like writing or talking to someone?

I'm glad all that tumbled out. I think you are doing amazing to be high raw and treading this journey. It truly is a journey, a metamorphosis, isn't it....not always easy to deal with, but so rewarding when you get to process new insights and progress.

Take good care....keep on keeping on...always look for you when I log on!
Enjoy your OJ! Isn't it the most refreshing???!!!

Date: June 04, 2008 01:16PM

Elakti,

Yep, the OJ hit the SPOT, alright!

I do so appreciate the rapport we've got going; it's encouraging to have someone else alongside you on the same journey to bounce things off of and to be there for/be there for you - thank you for that gift!

How I deal - well, I write a lot, poetry mainly, but I've been nursing some other projects recently... I'm also an artist, so I get really stripped and naked through expressing myself that way. A portion of my pieces explores the Feminine and what it means to be a woman; what always strikes me is the reaction MEN have to those - they so totally GET everything I'm trying to say, so I guess I'm successful in that regard!

Walking is my moving meditation; I get life from being outdoors. Could hike all day, I enjoy it so. Yoga and meditation have also been lifesavers for me, though I have been rather lax in that practice of late - that is being amended!

THE most important thing for me though is to recognise and acknowledge what I'm feeling, to resist the first inclination to ignore or stifle it and to sit with it instead...that's the key right there. After that, I chose how to manage any stress around it, and go from there (idealy!) Still in the process of growing in this area ;-)

Must go finish waking up (ha!) and get my morning OJ...will probably be back a little later...

Until then!

Date: June 04, 2008 04:31PM

You have lots of good outlets for self-discovery and self-expression, very proactive and willing to move forward. That is tremendously good. This is an area of my life that I need to work on, so you are again a good example for me. That is one reason I am having trouble with my job, which I am not mentally/emotionally suited to, and I have to guard against isolating and doing nothing. And the smoking is not good for this---when I was off cigs I was forced to see myself and emotions and repressions etc. It was a trip. I smoked again after 6 months because I was eating the worst SAD food ever...oh, it is all like a big ole web of negative habits and emotions and so forth and so on. So overwhelming. I feel good now. Plan is to stay raw and soon try again to quit smoking. Oh, here I am talking about myself in your space! And I have touched upon this in my journal. But, your self-expressions and activities impress me. I had gone to yoga classes for awhile, but stopped because of my misshapen body...so hard to do the poses and I got frustrated and gloomy about it. I know that is not necessary with yoga but I couldn't get over it.

Anyway...I'd like to get back to yoga. I was doing Bikram yoga, which I like. I need to do it at home. Not easy. I don't have any self-discipline. I need to meditate, but don't want to. It has been a part of my life ---lifesaving---at various times. Most of time though I feel so much resistance, my mind wants to do anything but.

That is so neat that you write poetry. Care to share something? smiling smiley

What kind of artwork do you do?

I do some gardening. Sometimes gardening seems like painting with flowers. Unfortuneatly I am a bit restricted where I am to mostly container garden. But the patio sure looks pretty now!

I haven't eaten yet except I did take my bentonite-psyllium shake, mmmmm. I have mangoes ahead of me. Sounds so good.

I raise a mango and toast (that's a verb!!whoa!) to you, Bon Appetit and Have a Good Day. smiling smiley

Date: June 04, 2008 05:00PM

Soraya~~~~ I just noticed there is a thread on Emotions, I don't have time now but lots of responses and probably some interesting things there. Have you checked it out?

Date: June 04, 2008 10:59PM

Elakti,

If I didn't have coping mechanisms to turn to I would've been in dire straits - or worse! With that said, it is necessary for me to get more strict with myself in that regard (again)...It may sound a little strong, but I feel that if I don't move forward in some aspects, I could as well not be here; standing still and just existing in this life is not a viable option. Simply put, it was literally face my "demons" and keep steppin', or die (in every possible interpretaion of the word)...

Honey, we are here to support each other, so if you (ever) have the need to talk, talk away, woman! ;-) That's how I ended up in this blog to begin with - reading the other ladies' experiences and eventually joining in. They haven't been here for a while now but I discovered how beneficial sharing has been for me, so I'm holding down the fort, I guess!

I had a hard time when I first began Yoga, too; I was having a plethora of back problems, and my chiropractor at the time made me exercise (she even took me to the gym with her a few times as her guest) and strongly suggested Yoga. I started out with a couple of video tapes and modified like crazy because I couldn't do half the stuff that regular people could. It was frustrating, but I stuck with it once I felt a major difference blooming... Now I'm into Kundalini Yoga; took lots of classes, have some manuals, and was doing it at home sporadically, but let my discipline slip on exercise and meditation practice...oh, yes, my old frienamy, Resistance, who shows up to deter or distract from further self exploration and growth; I know her well, unfortunately...

Gotta take my hat of to YOU, young lady - working on transforming your life through AND defeat your smoking habit??? Egad! That is some major work there...all I can say is that I'll support you the best I can from over here, and take small steps towards what you wish to achieve to assure your eventual success!

Artwork...I love Black & White photography, but I haven't done a lot of it for a while, now; I promised myself that this year I'd dust the old camera off and make it my extra limb again: oil painting: charcoal portraits, and brush & ink illustrations @ the feminine body ( I have a thing for figure drawing - realistic and abstract - the womanly form is a beautiful thing!)...

I'll have to take a look at my poetry and see which one(s) I'd want to put on here; some of them are a little dark in nature...

Changing subjects abruptly winking smiley...I ate a salad not too long ago and have realized that, yet again, I have another food (group) that I probably have to avoid.

***Deep sigh***

It consisted of a romaine heart, two shredded carrots, half an avocado and a sprinkling of sprouted beans. On 5/28 I had a salad w. sprouted beans but blamed my subsequent sickly feeling on too many ingredients - which was possible because I can't deal with too many things at a time anyway. Had other salads after that without the beans. Had beans today, and...feeling sick to my stomach, light-headed and woozy, and "heavy' in my chest area. Damn it! I used to eat these a lot, but in the past few weeks that I've not been eating any/many greens I'd not had them either...man this sucks. But...at least I know who the true culprit is now, I guess...

It's so annoying having to be so careful as to what I eat and even what I touch - yes, what I touch! - like right now, as I am typing this, I am starting to itch all over and have no idea why *growl*...

How ironic that at the bottom of this page, under the entry box, is an banner for the B 12 patch. I'd tried that some time ago, but didn't post about what happened. I'd said previously that I have a hard time with supplements anyway because of my allergies / having anaphylactic reactions with some of them?

Guess what...

Yes, with the patch too!!!

I happened to sniff one and it smelled sweet. Huh??? One reason I can't take most B 12 is because of all of the sweeteners - sorbitol, mannitol and fructose - that are added to the formula to "improve' the taste; I have serious reactions to all of them. But WHY in heaven's name would you want to add something sweet onto a PATCH?????

UGGHHHHH...

Okay...I'm signing off for now...there's quarter of a watermelon right now sweetly beckoning me downstairs. I hope I feel better soon, I hate feeling like this...

Goodnight!

Date: June 05, 2008 02:33PM

Just a quick good morning (am at neighbor's comp. waiting for cat to finish eating so I can go back home and get ready for work. Haven't done anything yet, no food, no shake, no shower, nada).

Just wanted to say Thanks for all your support, thank you, thank you. I really appreciate it and it is such a valuable HELP to me.

I'm off tomorrow and will have computer time, after my colonic. I'll give you another update!

You have a great day. I want to talk about your last post...lots in there! The photography, yoga, painting, and all!

I second the motion on bean sprouts....bleeeech! They have always made me nauseous! The only sprouts I can handle are sunflower, and they are already little plants to me. I have never even been able to eat alfalfa sprouts! Maybe if they were a little more grown up. I've read that new sprouts have toxins that repel insects or the plant wouldn't have a chance. I've taken that as the reason I cannot stand them. ?

I am running majorly late in my morning preparations! Ta ta!

Date: June 05, 2008 11:04PM

Nice to get morning shoutouts; makes my day!

And you're more than welcome! I'm glad to do what little or much that I can to lend my support; I'm just passin' it on...

I've had a really good day - accomplished a lot of work around the house despite still feeling yucky from last night!

I have never tried sunflower sprouts; the only ones I've had are alfalfa and brocolli, and sprouted beans. Mung bean sprouts I've had as well but that was before I became high / all raw; I was going to try them again but now I'm afraid to...

I've not had much to eat today owing to how wonderful I feel; just my morning pint of OJ, LARGE (60oz!) nana/berry/pineapple smoothie, some watermelon and more OJ. A few minutes from now I may chance a Romaine heart and some avocado...well, we'll see...

Short post today; will try to write a longer one tomorrow.

Until then!

Date: June 06, 2008 08:07PM

I find more and more often now that each morning I wake up, I am so grateful to be alive and eager to get started on my day - even if I do want to remain horizontal for just a *little* time longer (especially if the bed is feeling extra comfy that day)! winking smileywinking smileywinking smiley This state of mind has been becoming a constant especially since becoming Raw. The reason this makes such an impact on me is because of a question on a depression questionnaire that my doc. would have me take occasionally to measure the depth of/any changes in my depression... actually, two of them: one was, "Are you happy to be alive?", and the second," Are you glad to be alive at this time?"

Uhhhhhh..."HELL NO!!!"

That was my answer then, and was still true up until about..say...maybe two or three years ago? What the heck was I supoosed to be happy about???!?

Thankfully **phew!** Things are VERY much different!

Now when I hear the birds outside warbling like there's no tomorrow in the early morning hours I realize that I have this huge, cheesy grin on my face, and feeling serenely peaceful. Who knew that a *simple* change in diet could bring about such a complete transformation in every aspect of your life when you totally embrace it??? I'm relieved to be at this juncture of my life and looking forward to all the great progress and breakthroughs to come!

I thought I would share a bit about other measures I've been taking towards improving my health...besides good eating!

- Let's see...I've been dry skinbrushing for years, now, and is pretty an automatic thing for me before each shower. It's easy, quick, fun and I've really seen the difference in my skin...

- After I kept reading about it on the discussion board over.and.over.and.over. my curiosity was peaked and I decided to try oil pulling; it sounded a little gross but was supposed to have great benefits, so decided to give it a shot...couldn't hurt, right?
I absolutely love it! And my teeth began getting whiter only after a week or two of swishing every morning; glad I took the chance on establishing a new habit...

- I haven't used regular toothpaste for about a year+, or even 'healthy' toothpaste for a few months now; began using baking soda & hydrogen peroxide until I realised that all those options are too abrasive for tooth enamel - and let's not even get into toothpaste ingredients... I've learned some stuff that made me cringe! So now I use toothsoap - yes, soap, - and tooth powder (brightener) [www.perfect-prescription.com]. Been a few weeks and I like the results so far...

- Primarily because of my MCS rather than the desire to go green per se (though I did want to, don't read me wrong), I stopped using regular detergents and cleaning products, dryer sheets, etc. Currenetly use Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap for my laundry, but am looking into trying those soapnuts I keep hearing about. ..

- At the first of the month I began a new experiment; bathing without (Dr. Bronner's) soap, and have noticed that my skin doesn't have that d.r.y. feeling it used to. Now it's just water and loofah fun during shower time, and it lasts a shorter time, too; can we say water conservation?

- No longer use regular deoderant either - and definitely NOT antiperspirant! I use Tom's of Maine occasionally, and hope to wean myself of that very shortly...

- Using a little Coconut Oil or Shea Butter on my skin; uhmnnn, I smell delicious!

That's it for now...got to exercise my big loopy puppy-monster (one of the dogs I take care of, and she's huge!) and sink my teeth into a couple of the luscious mangoes I picked up a couple days ago. Is there ANYTHING like the smell of ripe pineapple and mango in concert together??? Everytime I pass the kitchen I just want to ravage my fruit winking smileywinking smileywinking smiley

LAYTAH!!!

Date: June 07, 2008 12:58AM

Sounds beautiful, Soraya! How long have you been eating raw foods? It is incredible the changes you are experiencing. I love hearing such reports coming from the basis of eating the foods our bodies are designed to eat. Most people don't know what real health and balance is...that is what I want to get as close to as I can.

Some people say to me. 'but look at all the people walking around, they're all right, they look fine and they are eating processed food and not raw'----and sometimes I've even wondered myself! But, it is not counting that one in 3 will get cancer, and all the other american statistics of heart disease, diabetes, etc etc. It is just a testament to the human body and the amazing amt of abuse it can take before breaking down into those statistics.

Where I work, in the poison store, I have been noticing the people and what they are buying....it is all junk food, alcohol, soda, and so forth (and the OTC meds that go with it all!) and I see the young people who 'look good' and have nice skin and look healthy (also plenty who don't too) and then I see the mid aged and older people....after the years of SAD eating and they look bad. Leaning on canes, bags under eyes, skin problems, overweight, etc.....probably were coming in for ice cream and dorritos since their youth. Since I have been so immersed in this for the past few weeks and work in this store, I have been really noticing people, their appearance, their ages in general, and it is a sad picture. And the medecines along with all the junk food...and they are oblivious/ignorant. The other day a lady spent 80.00 on soda, ice cream, junk food chips and candy and children's tylenol and flu med and other...told me her "baby" was sick and she was getting her supplies, and all the "food/treats" so she could have whatever she wanted. Inside, I just sighed and wanted to cry.

Our right is to be healthy and hale up to the end of life, if we would just follow natural laws.

I don't want to ever revert back to bad eating again.

I'm so glad we are on this natural path. You are doing wonderfully well. How long has it been? I know you've mentioned earlier in this blog, but I am not sure if I remember. Your other tools are good, too. I am using Tom's deodorant, need some at this point when I work. But, use soap and that kind of thing. I am trying to remember to brush skin! Still irregular about it.

Ah, mangoes. Yes, I am into mangoes lately. I have ONE which is going to be eaten soon. I am hungry for fruit. Buy more tomorrow. And I have oranges that I am going to eat until I don't want another one. Or, eat until I have to buy those too! smiling smiley I love papayas even more. The first time I went raw I coudn't eat enough mangoes and I would even moan! I had never had a mango before and it was this sublime taste to me.

I'm going to shimmey over to my thread and do my colonic report.

I am so impressed by your 'glad to be alive' spirit and sense of happiness and joy. I sure want some of that! There have been moments, when raw before and even in this past few weeks, when I have had glimmers of contentment and gratitude for simple things.

So, onward! While staying in the present with contentment and gratitude!

Date: June 07, 2008 04:25PM

Hello hello to you! I am about to really start day by getting ready for work. I've already made my salads.

I've lost another pound, I weigh 185, yahhhh! My skin is noticeably smoother this morning.

Hoping you have a wonderful day. I hope you get a chance to post. Tell me more.

How are ya?

smiling smiley Elakti

Date: June 07, 2008 05:43PM

hello again...may I enter here and 'whine' a little? Just joking (I think), let's say give you a little report? I am now about to go to work after spending 30 minutes in bed. I am so detoxy again, feel so low. I know it is for the good, but it is so hard to be at work all day doing what I do when I feel like this. Maybe it won't last long.

Withdrawing from something, some things are being withdrawn....I swear I can feel the downward pull, the draining feeling of body detoxing itself. Ohhhh, just want to sleep.

Maybe I should add a few steamed vegetables to diet or add more avocado or a few nuts? To give my body something more to chew on, heh heh, and slow the detoxification down. It seems to be accelaerating, which happens as the pounds start coming off a bit faster. I just had a salad, to offset the withdrawal, but it was such a beautiful salad, with just lemon juice and half avo as "dressing". I feel awful, like I'm being pulled downward and I just want to sink into bed and sleep and let my body do its thing.

So, anyway, I know this is what I want! I'm cleaning out. So, I just wanted to pop in, thankful I have you for support. And, if I have detoxy day at work, I am going to think about you in N.Y. and your support because it does make a difference to have someone who understands and is supportive, ok? smiling smiley smiling smiley

Date: June 07, 2008 09:21PM

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} to you, Elakti!

You can feel free to come and whine winking smiley or report any time you need to - especially when you're detoxing, and not just physically, either - because we all could use some support and an understanding 'ear' every now and then!!!

Yes, if the rate of detox is a little too much for you to handle right now, go ahead and add in some steamed veggies / nuts/ avocado; the goal is for you to be successful on this path so take things at your OWN speed. Whenever you do have the time available, you should try to rest as much as your body seems to be asking for...

It's much more difficult to deal with really active detox when working at something mentally or physically hard as well...boy do I know... but just try to hang in there and do the best that you can. Keep focused on all theflushing action taking place and all the good things that you will gain from this process. You've made it so far, and I have every confidence that you will get past this next "hurdle" too!

Remember, we are on a path the the greater majority of society thinks is (next to) impossible and ungratifying...remember how challenging most find it to change a habit...you're actually making steps to improve your health, not just talking or daydreaming about it. Just take a step back and objectively list all of the changes and discoveries you've made. Then...give yourself a lot of credit and celebrate those accomplishments. We are always a lot stronger than we think ourselves to be, I've found...

Okay! I don't know where that came from but it's also something that I've been telling myself as well. So all the best to you, dear; you are doing a great job, and it's also a great plus that you are so aware of the porcesses around, without and within you, when you think of all the people out there who don't seem to have any clue of what reality REALLY is!

Hope you're managing to have a good day in spite of everything!

Despite feeling ready to melt - SOOOOOOOOOOOO humid outside! - and having a most disturbing experience last night, I'm having a wonderful one myself; any day is a good day when you get a market ride - and ORANGES!!! I grabbed @5 bags of oranges, one rather heavy watermelon, 2 bunches nanas, 6 romaine hearts (been having a thing for Romaine recently), couple avos, 3 red bells, frozen mixed berries, blueberries and cherries, and two packages sunflower sprouts (my first..we'll see how they agree with me). So far today I've had 2 nana/berry/pineapple smoothies, and I'm currently working on a third of watermelon. Later I'll probably have OJ winking smileywinking smileywinking smiley, and a Romaine/red bell/sunflower sprout/avo salad.

Yesterday I had OJ, 3 consequetive nana/berry/pineapple smoothies, then the Romaine/red bell/avo salad...and 10 almonds. Don't know if I've said lately but don't use any dressing on my salads at all...

Uhmmnn...let's see...oh, I've been high raw from last October, and all raw from December...

Gonna scramble for now - feed my "babies" and myself. Maybe I'll pop in later; we'll see what the evening brings...

Date: June 08, 2008 03:49AM

Thank you so much for the good thoughts and excellent advice and support. So nice to come home to.
Hard day today, and very dizzy and exhausted now. I just want to make some strong banana milk, maybe 3 bananas and a whole date, and get in bed. Have to get up at 5 am to start early shift. I did not eat much today, didn't want to, but now am so weak and dizzy. I need carbohydrates badly. No energy to do anything but make banana milk. Sleep as soon as possible. I took bus for the 1/2 mile trip and the busdriver said, "maaaam, are you all right?" I must even LOOK like I'm about to faint. But I made the mile walk from there, and I am ok now that I am close to banana milk and bed. Thanks again for the good words.

Tomorrow is another day and it is going to better!

Your food sounds good. I hope you like the sunflower sprouts, I think they are so delicious. They don't affect me like other teensy sprouts or bean sprouts (oh, ugh). I read something interesting about sprouts, I'll tell you later.

G'night, Elakti

Date: June 08, 2008 11:00PM

Hello Soraya! Hope you are having a wonderful day!

Date: June 11, 2008 04:08PM

Good morning good afternoon, hello hello. Maybe cucumbers and celery will help on these hot humid days? Ugh, I feel for you. I don't do well in humidity. One of the best things for me about being raw is losing that "toxic humidity" when I am always so hot and sweaty. Lately I've been cooler, except during those detoxy days when I again felt occasionally like I was my own sauna. You are in NY, right?

Have a great day and am looking forward to your next visit! smiling smiley

Date: June 11, 2008 10:56PM

Elakti, I just paid you a visit and left a little note winking smiley

I've been thinking a lot, and have realised that while I have been focusing on transforming my / establishing good eating habits, I've really slacked off the other important aspects necessary to leading a solidly successful raw lifestyle. Even though there are outlets available to me as a means of stress relief I have let things slide so much that I'm unconsciously - or maybe consciously (!) - sabotaging my own progress; there's been substantial resistance in maintaining a consistant meditation and exercise practice, for example...

..and I don't dedicate nearly enough time to pursuing my passions, and the inaction is literally draining me; all work and not enough play / creative outlets will make Soraya a very cranky, anxious and depressed woman ;(

SO...

I've committed myself to changing all that for the next 40 days, beginning tomorrow. Committing to movement, even if it is "just" taking myself for a walk each day at first...
Committed to meditating even if only for eleven minutes once a day in the beginning...

I've spent the past few days drawing up a plausible plan of action, setting small goals that I can build upon every week. I have got to do SOMETHING, for my health and my sanity...

One reason why this is so vital is that I have had awful insomnia for YEARS, and lack of sleep literally wrecks your health. Sleep medication just makes things worse, as I am incredibly sensitive to medication, and it just ends up screwing up my system more. I know that focusing on the aforementioned areas will help me; I've just ALWAYS had a problem maintaining those healthy habits for a long period of time...

And I know that if I don't so this, I'll be setting myself up for more times of slipping / cheating, and I really want this raw habit to florish and "stick"!!!

I may not be talking about food as often as before, as I'll be holding myself more accountable in other areas, and sharing some of my experiences as I undergo my 40 day journey - one day at a time!

If there's anyone else who wants to embark on their own little transformation adventure - to kick a habit, learn something new, etc - with me (doesn't have to start tomorrow or last the same amount of time either), you are more than welcome to join in, share, and have some support along the way!

Much love and peace to you all...

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: June 12, 2008 12:37PM

Hi Soraya!
Hope you don't mind me chiming in here. I've been going through this too -- I have great ideas for positive change for myself in all areas of my life too (exercise, creativity, spirituality, etc.), but I seem to have a BIG problem following through for any length of time. So I'd like to take this opportunity to jump in here with you and make (yet another) commitment to a self-care overhaul. I have a membership at the local Y that I haven't made much use of lately, and just yesterday my three year old unknowingly made me feel guilty by asking to go there (she loves the child care there). I also "stumbled" on a meditation book yesterday at the Salvation Army -- half price! I've also been thinking that I need to spring clean my house before spring ends. Some other people here are also doing a fast on Saturday and I may join them for that as well. This support group really is great! I think I'd be raw 25 years if this had been around then. Anyway, count me in!
Sundancer

Date: June 12, 2008 05:51PM

Sundancer,
Feel free to chime away anytime you wish! And welcome to Camp Self-Care Overhaul (couldn't resist...loved that expression)!!! You can share as much or as little about your progress at you want to, but obviously I'm here for support / be your cheering section...and hopefully vise versa! Interesting how you just happened to stumble on that meditation book... winking smiley And thank heaven for precious three year olds winking smileywinking smileywinking smiley

So, for my DAY 1, I'm just going to briefly outline my plan of action;

- Write at least 5 things that I am grateful for in my Gratitude journal every day...
(the last time I wrote anything in there was in March!!! I just want to always focus on my blessings and maintain a positive vibe, you know?)

- Spend at least half-an-hour thrashing things out in my regular journal...just let it rip! There are a few issues I need to really be expressive with, and that's a safe place to do so WITHOUT overwhelming the two friends I have!
(Have lots of aquaintances, but only two people that I consider friends. One of my autistic traits is being woefully painfully socially inadequate...there are a few Aspies / Auties who do manage to make a lot of friends, but I am NOT one of them! This is a big clue to one of the issues I always have to deal with; loneliness and self-seclusion...)

- Meditate at least once a day...well, twice - upon arising and before going to bed...

- Move more every day: walking at least 5x weekly, early morning OR evening
*light weight-training / bodyweight workouts @ 3x weekly
*yoga / tai-chi / circuit training / bellydance rotation @ 3x week
* totally rest one day a week

- Limit the amount of T.V. - the little I do watch - and use some of THAT time instead to focus on my writing (poetry and working on my budding book) and artwork (some T shirt graphics I need to put together - a creative outlet as well as a possible means of making some extra money)!

- Finish tidying up my bedroom in the next week (I have to pace myself when organizing or I get overwhelmed too quickly and quit)...

I've done my morning meditation, and will do my due dilligence in my Gratitude J. as I'm drinking my nana / berry / pineapple smoothie a few minutes from now. I'll go walking this evening towards dusk, and my body could use a good yoga workout this afternoon (at home)...

Date: June 13, 2008 12:58AM

Soraya, smiling smiley

Camp Self-Care Overhaul! Yes, splendid idea and thanks for sharing your inspiration. This is right up my alley, perfect timing. Will write more tomorrow. There is so much for me to focus on, channel with all this detox (multi-level) going on and such desire to change lifestyle patterns. In particular, spiritual path which I do not follow as much as it follows me. I need to sit down. To meditate. That is the main thing. Also physical exercize. Ah, to generate the discipline. My mind is so unruly~~~~~~~I have to change my thinking!

Yes! Yes! Yes! Cleanliness (multi-level) and simplicity and heart's desire...let's go for it!

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: June 13, 2008 01:03PM

Hey Soraya & Elakti --
I'm excited! Camp Self-Care Overhaul! I love it! Today the little one goes to school and I have not much on my agenda, so I'm going to start by being 100% raw, going to the Y, revamping my schedules, goals and lists ('m a big sched/list person), meditating, doing some yoga and taking a long walk. Tomorrow I'm fasting with some of the other posters here and I'll take it from there. Yay!!!
Sundancer

Current Page: 16 of 21

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables