Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Current Page: 19 of 21
Re: committed to RAW
Posted by: Soraya ()
Date: July 14, 2008 07:25PM

Hello, hello, hello!

Sundancer - what Elakti said; and as soon as I read your request I made sure that I did! I will watch the news a bit today to follow the fire coverage as I haven't at all these past few days; please keep us posted as to the outcome / the wellfare of your friend and her beloved cats. I am glad to hear that she was able to escape herself...

What fun your picnic must have been! What a fortunate woman; I keep thinking and hinting to the Universe that it would be so wonderful to find / be found by someone who has such a beautiful character - so, now, where's MINE?!? ;-}

As soon as you mentioned having your pluots for breakfast, I commenced to drool...seriously! A few minutes later I found myself downstairs inhaling 10-12 of my Black Velvets and sucking in their deliciousness...I really need to get a bib, they are SO juicy I am in danger of wearing more juice than what I can get into me!

Elakti, you ARE making good progress, and have probably consolidated more than you give yourself credit for! No competition or comparisons here; do you at your own pace in accordance with your own goals...you are changing, and it is beautiful!

Black Velvet apricots are something I've only become aquainted with for a few weeks, now, when I spied tham at my market. Never saw tham before then. I'm not a fan of apricots but something about these practically screamed my name from across the crowed aisle...winking smiley and I grabbed a few.

Oh

My....

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Man was I "whipped" after that. I don't even look at plums now, which I used to be crazy for; absolutely no comparison in flavor - NONE. They are not always in stock, so I try to get some more the minute I catch a glimpse of any on display!!!

I guess you can call me (the) "Figgy Black Velvet"?! ;()

Am still dreaming of kettlebells...finished the laundry and am going to finish vacuuming when I get up from here; may also go finish demolishing my present fig supply. After that, a nap is surely in order...no sleep last night to speak of either and my body's cussin' me over it; need to get horizontal!

I've also been giving heavy thought to getting a juicer; been feeling that I do need to add juices to my diet now - something seems to be a little lacking and I want to address it as soon as possible - and I just happened to see 'your' juicer, Elakti, at the Bed & Bath near me a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't think I could / should spare the funds to do it. This morning it hit me that I should REALLY make the attempt to do so...I need some good ideas for juices, though!!! I'll try to get there tomorrow or the day after to see if I can still get one...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elakti ()
Date: July 16, 2008 12:02AM

Hello hello--wrote earlier, but something is wrong with roommate's internet explorer and so I couldn't post.

Am thinking about you both and wishing you well. Will hopefully be able to post tomorrow.

Right now, I am going back home to take a nap or write or meditate or sleep. I want to be quiet in my room. My stomach is complaining about some tortillas I ate. Am at friend's house, but I want my quiet room. I need to digest---physical stuff and psychological stuff!

Take care!

Date: July 16, 2008 04:13PM

Hello hello----so you're going to get a juicer? I like this Breville...I'm not heavy into juicing, but when I do make it, it is very easy. And the larger opening is good, too, for ease of juicing. I was going to make juice yesterday, but I didn't. I have a bunch of carrots for that purpose.

I looked very briefly at pictures of kettlebells...they are weights? I'll look again. I sure could use some weight work on my triceps.

I wonder what is missing? Maybe the minerals and such from vegetable juice will be it. I have a vita mix so I can put celery and greens in smoothies. I don't use kale and such, I just like romaine or baby spinach or sunflower sprouts or celery. Some people use all those heavy greens and bitter greens. I figure the daily addition of celery and romaine adds that much additional phytonutrients and minerals to the fruit smoothie. Celery is very freshening and pleasant with the fruit. And celery has the good reputation of being fine combination with anything. In fact, if a person makes a mistake in food combining or craves something a little off the path (I don't know anyone like this, do you?!) some celery will often act as an "antidote", a balancing factor. I've eaten celery many times when I am suffering from a mistake and it usually helps out a lot. Or with intestinal discomfort, apple (pectin) helps a lot.

I've got to get going....best wishes for a great day, to both of you. Carry on, you're both doing great. I sometimes think about the two of you, during the day, and I haven't heard your voice or know what you look like...we're connected by this computer. Interesting, huh? Karmic relationships are now even high-tech, our lives are so intricately webbed nowadays. Well, I'm glad to be involved with you two! You two help me so much.

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: July 16, 2008 10:06PM

Hey chickies --

Hope all is well with you. I finally made it to the Y and weighed myself (and worked out, too!!), and I finally weigh less than I did when I conceived Aliza, which was 175 (I'm 174)! I was 190 at the beginning of the year when I committed to a raw diet. I want to be in the 160's by mid August when I go to California. More importantly, I want to feel really good and to GLOW, which I do when I eat all raw and living foods.

Elakti, I have no idea what you're talking about -- craving something off the path? What is that????? ;p I know exactly what you mean -- I've been slipping again with the raw foods in the past 24 hours, but I always get right back on the horse because I always feel like crap when I eat cooked and great when I'm raw, so tonight I'll make a yummy raw dish, have a big smoothie for breakfast, and take it from there.

Haven't heard from my friend who lives in the fire area (Concow) again, but I'm hoping for the best. Her place is MAGICAL, so maybe it magically was spared. We'll see.

Soraya -- love those sound effects with the fruit!!!

I gotta go -- my little one woke up early from her nap and wants to go for a walk.
Will post more later. Have a great day!!!

Sundancer

Date: July 16, 2008 10:10PM

Holy crap!! I just scared myself with my GIANT picture!!! I haven't put a picture up like this yet and thought I had cropped it, but apparently I haven't! I'll try to fix this! Well, ya know what I look like now!!! The other two are my oldest son and my little girl on our camping trip in Maine last month.

Date: July 17, 2008 09:18PM

Okay, so I took the plunge yesterday and bought my juicer. For some reason I was way intimidated by the whole idea of working one, etc, but this one's cool (Breville Juice Fountain); I haven't used it yet, but maybe I'll christen it tonight ;} I'll even give her a fancy name (HA!) Getting 20% knocked off the price sweetened the deal as well! I also found a cool juicing book in the nearby bookstore with lots of tasty-sounding combinations...

***I'm in one of those queer, quirky, feeling-super-good moods, so bear with me, please ;-)***

I don't know if whether saying that something was lacking is the whole truth (?)...I 'just' feel the need to further refine my eating habits to fit my needs at this point, especially since I'll be focusing more on getting a lot of exercise...hence the thought that maybe I should take a closer look at juicing. I've been resisting the idea for a long time - throwing away all that fiber!??! Oh, the HORROR! - but now I know that you still do get some fiber in the juice, and that juicing is a great way to get an instantaneous boost from your veggies, greens and fruit. I DO have a vitamix, my darling which I use at least once a day, but I can no longer make my green smoothies because I used to make them with fruit which, alas and alak, I can no longer tolerate ( I started becoming much more - ahem! - FRAGRANT, if you catch my drift...among other things ;} ). And NO, non-sweet green smoothies are SO NOT passing these fine lips. I've been feeling am increasing desire for greens, but there are many greens which I will not eat but had no problem having them blended or juiced. So, I figured that the best way for me to tackle this connundrum would be to 1) juice my greens and some veggies, mainly with a base taste of carrot juice which I LOVE, and, 2) juice some veggies, eg. carrot-beet, and blend that together with greens...

It's a plan ;} we'll see how it unfolds...

***Dah-dah-dahhhh...***

I also ordered a kettlebell and a workout DVD, and the Kbell arrives TOMORROW! MuscleDriver USA shipped it out the same day and I'm so excited it's ridiculous, really. I don't thinK I've ever spoiled myself so much in one day before, but I'll tell you one thing; I didn't feel guilty or bad about it like I've done some times before...humnnn...INteresTING!!!

I bought so many greens today to juice...dandelion greens, collards & red swiss chard (which I will not eat - as in chewing eating, unless in mixed greens); some of the most beautiful kale I've ever seen and some spinach. I have a big bag of carrots just begging to be devoured, and I picked up another 2 cases of fully ripe figs. Sadly, as I feared, there were no Black Velvets to be seen *sigh*

Devored some watermelon. Nana-berry-cherry smoothie. More watermelon. A whole large, juicy pawpaw (papaya). I hear some figs sweetly chirping my name, as well as a nana-cherry-blueberry combo. Maybe carrot juice tonight, or a romaine-avocado-beet salad??? Decisions, decisions...

Congrats on the weight loss, Elakti and Sundancer! Such awesome news; way to go!!! *gives a cyber high-five* It encourages me no end to see how well things are progressing for you both!

I have to run for now; one of my furpersons is complaining downstairs, so I have to go see about him... if I can I'll try to hop back on later as I have a few more things I wanted to share!

And Sundancer...hope you hear good news from your friend soon...

Date: July 18, 2008 12:11PM

Thanks, Soraya, I hope I hear from her too.

Great to "hear" you so excited!! Congrats about your new juicer!

I'm not going to write much now because my munchkin wants little tiny pancakes, so I need to go make them. Have a great day, both of you!

Date: July 19, 2008 01:09AM

Sundancer, I'm sure those pancakes were good!

Wonderful day today. Have the house to myself - YEA!!!!! - for the next 3 days so that in itself gave me much joy ;} Did a fair set of housework because I just want to relax tomorrow and majority of Sunday...

Food today: 2 nana-berry-cherry smoothies, watermelon, @ 14 divine figs, 2 mangoes, small glass of carrot-beet-spinach-beet greens juice (oh.SO.goooddddddddd.) and a Romaine-avo-sundried tomato salad with the leftover juice pulp, which I tore into like I hadn't eaten all day...! I started following a juice recipe but then I messed with the amounts and added in some beet greens - which I've never had before; most times the beet greens are pathetic looking but this time...absofreakinlutely perfect, so I braved up to try them. SO delish. I can see I'll have to do a fast market run early tomorrow to get more carrots, though, and some avocadoes, of which there weren't any (conventional) to be seen when I shopped on Wednesday. Organic avos are a bit too expensive for me, especially when I have to make sure that I satisfy my figgy needs!!!

About the figs: I checked the nutritional content and while I knew that figs are high in calcium, I'm also getting insanely high levels of potassium due to the amounts I'm ingesting. I eat at least 3-8 bananas as well a day - for months, now - I figured my potassium would be okay because of that, so maybe it's the calcium my body's been so intent on sucking up??? Whatever it is, I'll give it to my body until it's satisfied...it's just interesting, though, that I can't seem to get enough figs in me fast enough. At some sittings I've had 21 or so and still wanted more!!!

Agghhhh! Just saw the time! Going to have to run, now, and do a couple things before taking the time for my night time rituals - being a good girl winking smiley but will be back tomorrow. Got my kettlebell today, and I'm soooooooooooo excited...so excited...more later, I promise!

Have a good night!

Date: July 19, 2008 02:42AM

Yahhhhh! Good juicing! You are eating so well, great!!! I am so excited for you. And your kettlebells arrived...you are so happy I know. Great support for your exercise regime...you are such a happy camper full of potassium and all good phytonutrients and yummy everything and magic figs figs figs calcium and on and on and you must be dancing.

Hi Sundancer! Oh, that was your SON! Oh! Well, I couldn't see him that well, but enough to get a good vibe . Buddhist surfer dude. The surfers were out today, I was watching them on walk home. (waves rather small)

Hope you have a great week-end. Later!

Date: July 19, 2008 03:57PM

Elakti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>...you are such a happy camper full of potassium and all good
> phytonutrients and yummy everything and magic figs
> figs figs calcium and on and on and you must be
> dancing.

LOL...this is one of the reasons why I think you are so rad; I love how deftly you wield your words! Oh, yeah, I'm (still) dancing for sure!!!

Got back about an hour ago from my mad market dash. Got carrots and a few more beets, crunchy sprouts, mangoes, avocados, parsley, frozen blueberries and sundried tomatoes. Not only were there still no more Black Vevet apricots, there were NO FIGS!!! ***Makes sad very, pouty face*** I still do have a few more left here, though I would have loved to get some more!

Before I left I made a pineapple-ginger juice - yummmmm-OOO!!! What a way to start your day! I'm now going to have the first of two of my usual - nana-berry-cherry smoothies - then (in no particular order) some watermelon, and a green juice - maybe carrot-beet-beet greens-dandelion? For the next half hour or so I'll work on eradicating the pile of ironing that I just didn't feel like dealing with last night, then maybe take a quick nap...

Date: July 20, 2008 01:04AM

Did some ironing, had my second fruit smoothie, and a little later had my nap. It was so nice just to lie down, relax, and snooze for a while...felt good, I needed that. Had some watermelon, then watched my Kettlebell DVD which arrived today (oh joy!!!!).I was beside myself when I saw the package in the mail, and all I can say is...this is EXACTLY what I've been searching for this past year or so!!! I love the workout, and I LOVE the way that the DVD is sectioned up; so easy and practical. I'm going to did into the tutorial section again and practice the forms of the specific exercises for a while before getting into the structured workout section, which consists of 14 two-minute rounds with a minute of rest time in between.

Made some carrot-spinach-dandelion-beet greens juice...hey, my body's doing the talking here and that's what it wanted; heavy on the greens, too! That sucker was STRONG, and I'm not talking about the taste, either, though I don't know how other people can drink (non-sweet) totally green smoothies - I am SO not at that point. It's like concentrated medicine rushing to every cell, and I could feel the difference in mere minutes...woof! Another thing that I've noticed; I usually make my Romaine salads with one heart, but yesterday and today I've made them double-sized, and it's as if I can't shovel the stuff in fast enough - actually right now I'm finishing up a Romaine-cuke-avocado-beet-sundried tomato salad and I'm very tempted to lick the bowl clean when I'm done!!! ;}

Aren't our bodies amazing? I felt a huge adjustment coming, but I didn't know it was going to be this drastic and it's taken me full circle...I ate a LOT of greens and had two HUGE green smoothies a day when I became high raw, for the first 3 months or so: then I lost my taste for greens and it was a challenge to even get a few Romaine leaves in me, but I bumped my fruit consumption WAY up: now I'm still eating a lot of fruit but my greens are racheting up again...

Whoa...I'm feeling so blissed out right now it's almost weird; total body buzz...

Time to take my butt downstairs and try to get to bed earlier that I did last night!

Date: July 21, 2008 01:16PM

Hey girls --
Hope all is well. I'm doing okay -- was all raw yesterday except for dinner -- we had friends over and David grilled. We had a lot of raw food too, so I ate more raw than not, but I did indulge a little.

Soraya -- it sounds like you are doing the right thing for yourself! I have never been a huge fan of fruit -- I like it, but before I went raw, I never ate much of it. I put 2-3 cups of whatever I have in my green smoothies for breakfast, then that's often it. Maybe I'll have a snack of fruit, but I think that I'm one of those people who does better on more veggies. I feel too much of a sugar rush and crash if I eat only fruit, and I don't like it. I've always been sensitive to sugar, was diagnosed ADHD as a kid, but I think a lot of that was sugar induced, coupled with a chaotic childhood and a lot of asthma medicine (damn smoking parents! I love them to death, though, and attribute this error to ignorance, not deliberate neglect). But too much fruit makes me feel like I did back then, and I don't like that feeling.

I am staying at 80% or more raw, but still wanting to go 100%. I think I'll do another water fast this week. The last one helped me stay all raw for a while, and I felt really good during and after the fast. It was great for my soul, too -- I felt more open to receiving from the Great Spirit and at peace within my own soul.

Work is okay. I worked Friday and Saturday and I work tonight, then we are going back to the lake house in NH tomorrow afternoon when D gets off work. We'll be back Wed. evening. I'm keeping my eyes open for other work options, but I need to make a certain amount of money and I live in kind of a depressed area, so my options are a bit slim right now.

I haven't been working out much (once a week), but I work on my feet and burn a lot of calories at work, so that helps. I want to get more consistent in this area. I did clean out my art room and rearranged the furniture, and that really opened it up. I've been systematically organizing other areas of my home, and we've been keeping it cleaner (having people over really helps -- who wants to invite people over to a sty?!).

So that's my check-in to camp for today. I may post less often because I wonder how good sitting in front of this computer for long periods of time can be for me. I majored in graphic design for five years, then thought a lot about this and changed my major to fine art. Anyway, have a great day (or two or three) and I'll check in soon.

Ciao Bellas!!! ;}

Date: July 24, 2008 04:27PM

Day 43

Hello ladies - and everyone else!!!

Sundancer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Soraya -- it sounds like you are doing the right
> thing for yourself! I have never been a huge fan
> of fruit -- I like it, but before I went raw, I
> never ate much of it. I put 2-3 cups of whatever I
> have in my green smoothies for breakfast, then
> that's often it. Maybe I'll have a snack of fruit,
> but I think that I'm one of those people who does
> better on more veggies. I feel too much of a sugar
> rush and crash if I eat only fruit, and I don't
> like it. I've always been sensitive to sugar, was
> diagnosed ADHD as a kid, but I think a lot of that
> was sugar induced, coupled with a chaotic
> childhood and a lot of asthma medicine (damn
> smoking parents! I love them to death, though, and
> attribute this error to ignorance, not deliberate
> neglect). But too much fruit makes me feel like I
> did back then, and I don't like that feeling.

I've always loved fruit, but when I started on this raw path, I was eating more greens than fruit; at least 2 green smoothies a day - I would use so much greens it was ridiculous - and I would still eat enormous kale-avocado-red bell salads in the evening, some of which required a full hour or so of careful chewing on my part!!! That lasted for maybe a good three months or so, but the I had real problems with not feeling satisfied OR satiated, and having overbearing cravings. I was reading through all the old posts here on the board systematically, and had seen the discussions on eating more fruit, and watching your combinations - at the time I thought that it didn't / wouldn't apply to me. After my cravings began to really kick me and the green fruit smoothies were really beginning to irritate my stomach I thought again about those posts and decided to give that approach a shot: have a juice / most juicy fruit in the morning, more fruit throughout the day, veggies/salads/fats in the evening and watch the combinations...

That really worked for me, and still does. I ramped up the amount of fruit I ate and immeditely felt times better. Now with jucing I'm getting more of the greens and some veggies back in - in more of a concentrated form - especially foods that I have no problem blending / juicing but would not eat the conventional way; like apples, for example, or dandelion, collards, beet greens, carrots...

I am also sensitive - actually, I'm allergic - to sugar, but fruit doesn't give me a problem at all! Do you want to guess what does now (it didn't before now...go figure!)??? Having too much veggie / green juice at a time! Man do I crash, so I have to drink no more than a small glass of it at a time; is that weird or what?!? Everybody - and every BODY - truly is different!!! ;-) I've learned to just be in tune with my body and to give it what it needs...like lots of figs and mangoes!!!

> I am staying at 80% or more raw, but still wanting
> to go 100%. I think I'll do another water fast
> this week. The last one helped me stay all raw for
> a while, and I felt really good during and after
> the fast. It was great for my soul, too -- I felt
> more open to receiving from the Great Spirit and
> at peace within my own soul.

Glad that you've found out what works best for you and that you've set your own goal...just take your time in the steps most managable for you!

> Work is okay. I worked Friday and Saturday and I
> work tonight, then we are going back to the lake
> house in NH tomorrow afternoon when D gets off
> work. We'll be back Wed. evening. I'm keeping my
> eyes open for other work options, but I need to
> make a certain amount of money and I live in kind
> of a depressed area, so my options are a bit slim
> right now.

I hope that the outlook improves for you and that the right doors and contacts open up for you soon!

> I haven't been working out much (once a week), but
> I work on my feet and burn a lot of calories at
> work, so that helps. I want to get more consistent
> in this area. I did clean out my art room and
> rearranged the furniture, and that really opened
> it up. I've been systematically organizing other
> areas of my home, and we've been keeping it
> cleaner (having people over really helps -- who
> wants to invite people over to a sty?!).

I count my work in, too! The amount of walking around that we do on the job HAS to count for something, right? winking smiley Kudos on getting all that organizing completed as well, though I'm sure it wasn't really sty-like at all!!!

> I may post less often because I wonder how good sitting
> in front of this computer for long periods of time
> can be for me.

Do you mean on a time-wise level/ basis, or are you refering to healthwise? If the latter, I had enormous problems with that too until recently, though I am still mindful of my exposure to EMFs; I am very senstive to them due to my Environmental Illness / Multiple Chemical Sensitivity. Up to some months ago I couldn't spend more than 10 -15 minutes on the computer without having to spend the next two hours in bed...thankfully I found some solutions that are working for me!

I've watched my (first) kettlebell workout DVD a few times, now, and when my second (lighter) kettlebell arrives later today I will spend a few days practising along with the tutorial section, getting comfortable with all of the different movements before I start doing the actual workout routine. I'm still totally psyched about this and can't wait to put the effort in to strengthening and toning my body again!!! I want to be in the best shape of my life, and it's so totally attainable! ;}

Foodwise I'm having a ball...here's yesterday's menu:

1/2 watermelon; Nana-Berry-Cherry smoothie; Carrot-Parsley-Spinach juice; second smoothie (as previous); 14 big figs; 3 mangoes; large Romaine-avocado-golden beet-grape tomato sald that was totally DE-lish!!!

My mind is gaining more and more clarity, having more insights...

I am seeing and feeling such a difference in my skin overall - since juicing especially - even though I'm still getting breakouts on my face... ***shrugs and smiles***

I love that I don't smell at all even when I perspire like crazy in this hot weather!!! ***does a merry jig***

This morning I made pineapple-apple-ginger juice - YUMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!
Later I had Carrot-Spinach-Parsley again; after that a Nana-Berry-Cherry smoothie...right now I'm just humming...

Am doing some light housework; later will take a nap and plot the rest of the day out...

Will check in with you all again later; have a great day!

Date: July 24, 2008 05:30PM

Hey Soraya--
About the computer, I was talking about both the time constraints and the health issues. I just started a post on the subject in the main section and am looking forward to the replies. I love reading about people's experiences and interacting with everyone, but sometimes I feel like being here as much as I am is counterproductive. It is fun, though.

Thanks for all the comments! Sounds like you are just grooving right along!!!

My mini vacation was great, but little one is a bit sick again -- swimmer's ear and croup. Nothing that cannot be handled without antibiotics, thank goodness. I hate giving them to her; I've only done it a couple of times, then I always load her up on probiotics. We're doing a little peroxide and alcohol in the ear and hitting the shower when she has trouble breathing.

We made the mistake of hitting a Chinese buffet on the way home from the lake house yesterday -- uuuuggghhh!!! I'm still not hungry! I'll make a big smoothie (if I ever decide to eat again ;} ), or maybe I'll just fast now. I know that the thought of cooked food is making me nautious!!!

Date: July 24, 2008 05:59PM

Sundancer, I hope your little one is feeling better...and you, too! I hope you eat again smiling smiley , but a little fast wouldn't hurt. Glad you had a good time at the lake house!

Soraya, your food and juices and exercise enthusiasm are great. I love to hear comments about clarity and insights when in a natural lifestyle of rawfoods. Good going! I want to get there too!

Can't linger, am so in need of my bed, just posted in my neck of the woods and I need to lie down. I will check in later. I am very happy to read what you wrote, you are doing real well. Enjoy! Keep doing those juices, sounds like they are really helping you. And enjoy your discovery of the kettlebell work out. You are doing so in an intelligent patient way, not forcing your body. Good work, gal!

Talk to you later.
Sundancer, let us know what's happening now with you and yours. Sometimes the road meanders and swerves right and left but it's all part of the journey. Don't I know it! Fairly recently I did have a little of some non raw concoction from People's deli which I used to love (and still do really)....but, it sure gave me a headache! A very uncomfortable headache, I went back on the straight and narrow!

Date: July 24, 2008 06:17PM

Just to clarify the fruit / sugar thing...!

I'm allergic to refined sugar, but while the sugars in fresh fruit don't bother me in the least, I can't jive with eating certain dried fruit like figs, dates, apricots,etc. I'm fine with prunes, though, and can eat those like there's no tomorrow,sometimes!

"About the computer, I was talking about both the time constraints and the health issues. I just started a post on the subject in the main section and am looking forward to the replies. I love reading about people's experiences and interacting with everyone, but sometimes I feel like being here as much as I am is counterproductive. It is fun, though."

I know what you mean about feeling torn about time spent here sometimes, but for me it's balanced out by all that I learn and the great people I've met / support I get (from two amazing women especially) ;}

Oh, I hope both you and your daughter feels better soon! Am glad to hear that you (all) had a wonderful mini vacation, and that you're back safely; much love to you!

Date: July 25, 2008 12:42PM

Back atcha, Soraya!!!

Date: July 25, 2008 06:25PM

Hi there...How are ya?

I just did long post, over there, and now must go home and take shower and what not...dashed down to friend's house to post my news as my roommate's computer is not working.

Hope you are still going strong with all your super momentum. Have you done the kettlebell work-out yet? What's your favorite juice combination today?
Some that you mentioned sound so good. It's a nice little juicer, isn't it? Easy to use and clean! I had a champion years ago and it was more of a challenge to clean. The Breville is nice.

Do have to go clean up. May walk to town. A walk in fresh ocean breezy air just may be very lovely. I've been cooped up so much. Ah, to venture out without cigarettes...in the early days, everything is a challenge to do without cigarettes. I'll do my best to stay focused. Breathe!

Have a wonderful day, you and Sundancer. Sundancer---raw! raw! raw! smiling smiley

Date: July 25, 2008 08:16PM

Sundancer, hope you're feeling better and having a good day!

Elakti, I am SO enjoying my juicer, and it really is easy to clean - such a plus!!! So far today I've had Pineapple-Ginger-Apple juice for brekkie, and just finished some Carrot-S.Potato-Beet-Swiss Chard juice a short while ago! I'm so digging the Carrot-Spinach-Parsley one I did yesterday...I couldn't believe how refreshing it tasted!

Haven't done the whole workout yet; the plan is to practise the movements a bit so I'm comfortable with them / get the techniques right for a couple of days, then I'll venture into workout territory. Plan to take measurements of myself too beforehand so I can compare them to the "after" ones on Day 90 (Sept. 7th)...

We'll all stay focused, especailly with each other's support! Have a good one, both of you!

Date: July 26, 2008 05:17PM

Made a quick market run this morning because I SO needed more fruit! Grabbed up a lot of mangoes, some apples (to juice) and a few other things. I also grabbed a couple of mamey sapotes to try as I've never had them before and they were calling to me! Wish they weren't that expensive, though!

Did some work with the kettlebell yesterday and am even MORE in lustlove, if that's at all possible! winking smiley Owing in part, I think, to may watching the tutorials so much, and to my little dance / martial arts training, I got comfortable with all the movements pretty quickly; the only thing I want to be mindful of is my form in the squats - since you're doing quite a bit more than just ordinary squats! - so there's no pressure on the knees or lower back...

Had two juices so far...a Carrot-Spinach-Parsley that's a fast favourite, and a Carrot-Dandelion greens one. I'm finding that I've been craving sunlight quite a bit more since juicing, so I got a fair bit this morning and am looking and feeling markedly more radiant!!!

I hope you two /all have a fantastic day. It's so glorious here! I'm off to have a smoothy and attack a book ...Ha Ha!!!

Much love!

Date: July 26, 2008 05:22PM

That pineaple-g-a juice sounds so utterly deicious, my mouth is watering. The next one sounds heavy duty serious, very interesting with the s. potato. You ARE having fun with it.

Enjoy the process of your work out regime. And thanks again for your great support. That is for both of you, S and S.

I did juice when I got 'back from town'---carrot, celery, beet, cucumber. Also had salad. I had gotten 2 nectarines while in OB and they were delicious, I'd wished I had bought a whole bag for a big ole mono meal.

I may juice up what I have in refrigerator. Eat an avocado. I have so many ripe ones! How can I fast, oh woe is me!

See ya later! Have wonderful day.

Date: July 28, 2008 11:21PM

Just finished sucking down a huge glass of pineapple-ginger-apple juice actually - been jonesing for some ALL afternoon! ;-} It is REALly good, especially if you have enough ginger in there to leave a little 'kick' behind...wonderful! And the sweet potato-beet-carrot one is...words truly escape me. Of course I throw greens in there - my little spin on the given recipe!

For the past two mornings I've had carrot-spinach-parsley-tomato-celery juice for breakfast - a combination that you couldn't have PAID me to try a few weeks ago, but has been drawing me in for some reason. ***Sighs*** SO, so good; I actually take my time, savoring each sip. I'm even pulled towards trying a couple tomato-based juices I've spotted in my book - what is going ON with me???? Who IS this person?!? winking smiley
-------------------------

This weekend saw a resurfacing of my 'old' body issues - and a weird binge-eating incident Saturday night! The trigger, funnily enough, is both how I look right now and how I will look as a result of my kettlebell workouts. How so? Right now I look almost like I did in my mid-teens, twenty or so years ago - with more curves now, though - and feel times better. My body responds like mad to any strength / weight-bearing workout, and I realised that I am afraid of that. Very afraid, actually, of transforming my body any further. Afraid enough to unconciously sabotage myself; thank goodness I ahd the presense of mind to inquire as to why I was having such strong, emotional cravings... I knew it wasn't my usual 'feeling lonely' trigger...

Why is this a big issue for me? I have a hard time recognising people's motives sometimes (because of my autistic traits), and too often miss the signs which can be / seem so obvious to others. Because of this I have been in many situations where men in particular have tried to manipulate and take advantage of me - and there have been a few instances of very inappropriate sexual advances being made...the last one the reason being why I had to literally flee from my previous job! I don't want to look appealing...I don't want to draw (unwanted) attention. It's ackward, difficult and scary to deal with...that was my big 'ah-ha' moment these past few days...

But I also know that I am in a different place now, and that continuing to exercise will not only strengthen my body, but my mind also, as well as lift my self-esteem up even more. I also have a great best friend who watches over me like a hawk, and I make sure to run everything - and everyone - by her, and she catches anything 'off' immediately, thank goodness...

That was kinda hard to spit out, but I guess part of me felt that it was important to...

Okay! I'm off to...read a book? Figure out if I want to eat anything else? Breathe for a minute - or two? Freak out about saying all of this?!?

Date: July 29, 2008 02:44AM

Hi Soraya,

I'm glad you can relate such things, personal and vital. I have to go, no time, but will check back tomorrow. Thank goodness for your dear friend who helps you. I think you are strong and self aware and can process all this, especially with the confidence and strength of your friend's friendship.
I can definitely understand your concerns about looking too appealing to men, not because I do look appealing in that way, but because I can just relate to that, very well.

I've wanted to ask you more about the autism. You call it 'ausbergers'? I can look it up. There must be so many kinds of autism and layers and what not? You seem so together, so self-aware, so perceptive, so understanding, so intelligent, so funny, so and so and so AND...so, I wonder what type of autism you have. Maybe I have it too! smiling smiley

gotta go! Tomorrow, okay? (if comp. works! It's been problematic lately)

I ate lots oranges. Smoothie. Also, "mock chicken salad" from People's...craving it, as in addiction. It is made from seitan...gives me a headache, and I am eating it like it is going out of style and I must STOP!
Seitan and Sigarettes...gotta go!

Gotta go, now! smiling smiley

Date: July 29, 2008 05:04AM

Aww, Soraya, I know what you mean. I haven't yet lost enough weight yet to consider myself a "hottie", but ten years ago, after I left my ex-husband, I dropped 50 lbs. and suddenly was getting all kinds of attention that I didn't quite know how to handle. It was cool on some levels, but kind of scary, too. My son's friends were hitting on me, and men would just strike up conversations with me out of nowhere. I realized that I had a lot of power over men. But I also got into a few compromising situations. It's probably a good thing that you have your friend to help you negotiate this new territory. I didn't, and it was a little rough for a while, because I too have a hard time figuring out people's motives. I have never been good at this. I've come to learn that being attractive isn't all bad, though, and like you said, as you progress, your mind will be stronger, and your inner self will help you to have a perspective that is less frightened and more empowered. Even today when I was walking my daughter in a stroller down the street, someone yelled "Sexy" to me. I laughed to myself, thinking about my age (47 on the 8th of next month).

Today was better, though I did eat some cooked food at work. I have three days off. Hopefully, I can stay all raw the next three days, then I'll be back in the groove again. I really want to spend some quality time with all aspects of myself -- my artist, my soul, the part of me that wants to be organized, etc. I have a lot to do for myself this week that I haven't been paying attention to. It's hard when the little one is sick and there is still work and the house and the hubby and everything else. Oh, well.

Date: July 29, 2008 08:15PM

Thank you so much for your comments, Sundancer; such a relief to have someone who understands how I'm feeling! ;} Especially not being able to read people easily / have a hard time with normal social stuff...thank God for my friend who understands that it's not just my being naive or anything, but that I just don't comprehend a lot of social cues, norms...even some facial expressions are hard for me to decipher - and don't even talk about different moods, and stuff!!! A 'normal' day is times more stressful for me than the average person...you wouldn't want to be in my head for even a minute!

Elakti, it's Asperger's Syndrome, and is (sometimes) described as a higher functioning form of autism ( on the autistic spectrum). Liane Holliday Willey wrote a book called "Pretending to be Normal" which gives great insight into some of the stuff we deal with in varing degrees...sensory issues, being easily overstimulated (placing me in an unfamiliar environment or throwing a monkeywrench into my usual routine, for instance, is the quickest way to watch me have a meltdown)...that's me during the day unless I'm around my friend hanging out - pretending to be normal! (HA!)

Sundancer, I think you ARE a "looker"! :}

I found myself doing the craziest thing earlier; while I was grabbing some fruit at the market, something led me over to the olive section - I am SO not an olive person, it is not funny - and bit into a divine looking dark one. Don't know whether raw or not because I know nothing about olives, but it wasn't swimming in oil like the others were, neither was it salty. I found myself buying a medium container full, and I just practically ate the whole thing at one shot just now...what was THAT about??? I NEVER have desires / cravings for olives!!!

I don't know what else is going on with me, but I have strong desires for yellow fruit now...mangoes, apricots - the regular ones, which I normally can't stand! I carried home two bags of mangoes alone! I've scaled back a tiny bit on bananas, now, but am inhaling mangoes every chance I get (hidden some in my room too!)

Good luck with the interview tomorrow, Elakti!

Hungry again...need some mangoes or something RIGHT NOW! winking smiley

Date: July 29, 2008 11:06PM

Oh...just thought about your commenting on your age, Sundancer; it ain't nothing but a number! My best friend is 16 years my senior - she'll be 52 in October - and she gives me a run for my money (of course she'll say I'm crazy, but she does)! People think she's my age: as for me, most people think I'm in my very early 20's, 24 at most, and since eating a raw diet I've been looking even younger! I've definitely noticed the "raw glow" in me, and others have too, apparently, and it ain't just all about the food! But you know that. For all the emotional stuff that we have to climb and traverse through...you know what? It's worth the effort and pain to heal and grow and overcome. More power to us - literally!!!

Haven't felt like eating too much today. Just finished dinner, which was carrot-spinach-parsley juice. Brekkie was 6 apricots, and, I guess it was lunch (!) was that container of olives, which I'm still completely puzzled about!!!

Date: July 30, 2008 12:45PM

I think that some of the olives you get at a deli bar are raw.
Thanks for the comments about my looks and age!

So, I was going to eat really lightly yesterday, but it was such a beautiful day and the weather has been so crappy here lately that I thought I'd take my little girl to a neighboring town that has a beautiful bridge with flowers growing on the actual bridge. It was gorgeous!! We had a really good time. She called it an "adventure". There is a natural foods store and a lot of art. We saw a glass blower do his thing (she really liked it) and bought her first "real big-girl" beads to make "real" necklaces. We did do lunch though, and I ate some cooked food again. Then David cooked. Well, I don't know. Today's another day.

Date: July 31, 2008 03:15PM

Sundancer, I love when you share about your adventures with your little girl; she sounds like a sweetheart! You must let us know how the necklaces turn out, okay?

If I'm not mistaken you've said that you've been in and out of raw for many years, now, and that you're aspiring to be totally raw - were you ever all raw before? And what is the reason why being 100% is so important to you? I'm just wondering, curious about your story ;}

Thanks about reassuring me about the olives; it's highly possible that they were raw after all. Though, honestly, I wouldn't have cared too much either way, because I knew it wasn't a case of an emotional / cooked craving to begin with since it was so off-center for me (not a food that I eat usually). That's like me suddenly eating kiwi! ***grimaces***

I finally tried one of the mamey sapotes that I'd bought a few days ago out of curiousity. WOW!!!! I still can't wrap my brain around how it tastes to me...like a sweet potato / sweet pumpkin blend. So rich, I could only eat a half of it. How incredibly varied all the tastes, textures and vibrations are in this wonderful raw world! I was thinking how cool it would be to have something like that around Thankgiving / Christmas; that would solve any pie issues, wouldn't it?!? winking smiley

I'm still feeling super emotional and tender...sigh. Brian's post on there being more to diet than food (main board) came right on time and is right on the money, and even though I'd already reached his conclusions a while ago it's still helpful to remind yourself of important things on a regular basis. It helped to read that, and he also wrote a wonderful post a while back on detox that was bloody brilliant as well; he hit the mark when it came to the emotional aspects of it. I'm going to have to make a definite commitment to myself to work through this as thoroughly and honestly as I can...I frankly haven't been facing it like I should, but that changes NOW...

Must focus more on meditation as an ingrained habit...

VITAL to address more comprehensively how I think and perceive things; my very thinking needs a complete overhaul...

I've accomplished a lot, but there is still more work to be done; but, dang it, I'm worth it!!!

winking smiley

I'm at the top of my priority list starting NOW...

Date: August 01, 2008 02:58AM

I read the Brian thread too, and appreciated it.

You are doing wonderfully well. I am impressed by your ideals---and your Actions!

My timing is bad here, gotta run...be back soon! Moi. smiling smiley

Date: August 01, 2008 12:46PM

I loved Brian's thread too -- printed the post and am using it as a meditation aid.

Yes, I have been trying to go all raw for a few years now (actually it has been in my consciousness for 25 years), but my will power is not what I would like it to be. The bottom line is that I feel so freaking healthy when I eat all raw! I have been all raw for short amounts of time (weeks), and I feel amazing when I am. Then I get a craving, or David cooks. It's pretty dumb that I can't do for myself what I ought to do.

Gotta go cook for the little one.

Current Page: 19 of 21

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables