Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: cause of candida: fat vs. sugar
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 30, 2011 11:58AM

SGMav,

Correct on some vegetables having more bioavailable nutrients when cooked, but not true of most vegetables, and of course, fruits. Otherwise, most people on here would have starved to death long ago, LOL!

Freelee, the lovely partner of the feisty Durianrider, has an interesting back story you should maybe look into[she has some vids up on Durian's channel on YouTube]. She is a vigorous athlete today, and candida free, on very high fruit. It's basic biochemistry that, because all cells need glucose, starving your body of sugars to starve out/limit fungal or bacterial colonies will not work long term. This is why so many people fail on the conventional candida protocol; some do succeed however.

This is somewhat a concern to me, and I am hoping it's just an excerpt of your over all regimen; otherwise, it's really not hitting all micro nutrient targets, and really overshooting a couple macronutrient ones:

bananas, meat, coconut oil, ghee butter, eggs, raw apple cider vinegar, and sauerkraut

That's a lot of protein and fat. A lot. My brain and alimentary system would cease to work after about a week, but everyone's differentsmiling smiley Have you considered entering your dietary regimen into an online nutrition calculator, like FitDay or Nutridiary or Chronometer? Now might be a good time to do so.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: August 30, 2011 12:22PM

I agree on starving the candida never works in my opinion to cure but it can help temporarily lower symptoms for some with dysbiosis.

However i do truly believe that most people who think they have candida don't. This is largely due to these bogus candida sites that attribute every symptom in the world to candidiasis. Most self diagnose and go round in circles with there health for years in turn. I know i did due to these sites.

Other than the fibers in fruit which are also abundant in vegetables that feed the gut flora, i see no reason if you truly did have candida/dysbiosis/bacterial overgrowth etc how a high fruit diet would overcome it in days like some suggest, especially quicker than getting to the root i.e restoring proper gut flora balance and restoring stomach acidity. It takes a while to restore the gut flora, certainly not days like im seeing some saying they have cured there candida in, i still feel there are other explanations for this though such as below.

Ive said before but id place my bets that many of these people have mild adrenal fatigue(has many symptoms such as allergies(food) that many people think candida cause when it is infact an adrenal dysfunction symptom. The rich amount of vitamin C in fruit which is the most needed adrenal gland nutrient would be a prime reason these people get over there "candida" so quickly. Other common reasons would be that raw diets in general eliminate most of the common allergens such as wheat, gluten, dairy so people often instantly get a massive relief of chronic symptoms. The sheer burden that high fat/meat SAD diets place on digestion and instantly relieving that with easy digesting foods such as fruit/vegetables that don't place such a heavy stress on the gallbladder that high fat foods do would be another reason in my opinion. If you look at many of those who are complaining of candida symptoms have pale stools which is a sign of gallbladder insufficiency rather than candida.

Just my 2 cents and i still really don't feel candida is as common as some make out. When you take time to listen to the symptoms of those who have self diagnosed themselves via these candida sites you more commonly see adrenal dysfunction symptoms as well as thyroid issues.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2011 12:32PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: SGMav ()
Date: August 30, 2011 01:27PM

I think I am beginning to get it. My last couple questions:

Tamukha, do you know which video(s) of Freelee and Durianrider to pull up to hear her backstory? Also, youdon't worry about oxalic acid in eating raw vegetables blocking iodine uptake in the thyroid gland, especially with spinach?

And, not sure if this was mentioned before, how do you all feel about adding natural antimicrobials to your daily regimen such as grapefruit seed extract, oil of oregano, or other????

Thanks all!

Date: August 30, 2011 01:33PM

I take it your meaning the goitrogens with regards to interfering with the thyroids update with iodine. As long as your not going over board with the goitrogenic dense raw vegetables then you should be ok, pending you have no current thyroid disorders and are getting sufficient iodine intake.

Increase your iodine intake slightly if worried.

Check back for my opinion on the anti-microbials, i wouldnt recommend them they kill off your gut flora which if you do have candida or dysbiosis you are wanting to rebuild.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: August 30, 2011 06:00PM

SGMav,

I take water soluble iodine to offset goitergens; I love me green smoothies but have had trouble with goitergens/toxic halides affecting my thyroid in the past, so I watch iodine levels. As of the iodine supplementing, no problems.

Here's the link to Durianrider's YouTube channel; they are prolific posters, so scroll down the vid boxes on the right to find ones from Freelee that interest you. I recall that "Raw Food Q &A #128," posted last year, was a particularily informative one. Good luck!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: rzman10001 ()
Date: August 31, 2011 09:52PM

powerlifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree on starving the candida never works in my
> opinion to cure but it can help temporarily lower
> symptoms for some with dysbiosis.
>
> However i do truly believe that most people who
> think they have candida don't. This is largely due
> to these bogus candida sites that attribute every
> symptom in the world to candidiasis. Most self
> diagnose and go round in circles with there health
> for years in turn. I know i did due to these
> sites.
>
> Other than the fibers in fruit which are also
> abundant in vegetables that feed the gut flora, i
> see no reason if you truly did have
> candida/dysbiosis/bacterial overgrowth etc how a
> high fruit diet would overcome it in days like
> some suggest, especially quicker than getting to
> the root i.e restoring proper gut flora balance
> and restoring stomach acidity. It takes a while to
> restore the gut flora, certainly not days like im
> seeing some saying they have cured there candida
> in, i still feel there are other explanations for
> this though such as below.
>
> Ive said before but id place my bets that many of
> these people have mild adrenal fatigue(has many
> symptoms such as allergies(food) that many people
> think candida cause when it is infact an adrenal
> dysfunction symptom. The rich amount of vitamin C
> in fruit which is the most needed adrenal gland
> nutrient would be a prime reason these people get
> over there "candida" so quickly. Other common
> reasons would be that raw diets in general
> eliminate most of the common allergens such as
> wheat, gluten, dairy so people often instantly get
> a massive relief of chronic symptoms. The sheer
> burden that high fat/meat SAD diets place on
> digestion and instantly relieving that with easy
> digesting foods such as fruit/vegetables that
> don't place such a heavy stress on the gallbladder
> that high fat foods do would be another reason in
> my opinion. If you look at many of those who are
> complaining of candida symptoms have pale stools
> which is a sign of gallbladder insufficiency
> rather than candida.
>
> Just my 2 cents and i still really don't feel
> candida is as common as some make out. When you
> take time to listen to the symptoms of those who
> have self diagnosed themselves via these candida
> sites you more commonly see adrenal dysfunction
> symptoms as well as thyroid issues.
>
> [www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Yeast is just a stubborn part of the problem and almost always comes with other pathogen infections. This is why a person should always treat as a whole and strenghten all systems. I can talk to a person for five minutes and tell if they have a yeast infection and this has been backed up by Live Blood Analysis. And you have said before that systemic yeast infections are not that common. I think you should rethink that comment(no disrespect meant). I know many many people that have systemic yeast infections and don't even know it, and some that do. Just because it is systemic does not mean it is destroying any or all particular organs nor do you have to have serious challenges like Aids. Systemic IMO just means it is throughout the system, and varies greatly. If you have seen as many Live Blood Analysis as I, I think you would agree. I am with you though as to weather a fruit free diet is good but for some it might be nessesary. If a person does have an fungal infection than it would be best to not drink big fruit smoothies and just utilize organic fruit in moderate amounts. This info. is not all directed to powerlifter but just to share my experience personal and otherwise. Powerlifter I enjoy reading all your posts, keep it up.

Posted by: SGMav ()
Date: August 31, 2011 10:47PM

Does anyone know if coconut oil kills off good flora?

Date: September 01, 2011 12:19AM

SGMav,

No, it does not.

Date: September 01, 2011 09:38AM

rzman10001 do you have any proof that systemic candidiasis happens outwidth those with severe immuno problems such as cancer out of interest?. Systemic candidiasis is a potentially deadly systemic infection. When most people assume they have systemic candidiasis is because there having some digestive problems along with a vaginal yeast infection and so on. Im not a great fan of live blood cell analysis at all. Here is the definition of systemic candidiasis:

Systemic candidiasis is an infection of Candida albicans causing disseminated disease and sepsis, invariably when host defenses are compromised.[1]:310

Like i say sepsis is a potentially deadly infection of the blood. Most assume there candidiasis has gone systemic because they see ailments in multiple body parts such as gastrointestinal issues and say a vaginal yeast infection. This can be achieved as easily as consuming antibiotics which kill of the good flora that inhabit the intestinal tract and the vagina/skin. Nothing systemic about it.

Leaky gut is another poor self diagnosed condition which can easily be tested for by ingesting splenda, which is a molecule not ordinarily absorbed by the gut.

I just feel having been in the health industry and for a long part with my own problems that candida and leaky gut are 2 massively over-rated conditions and are almost always self diagnosed or by a practitioner that knows very little about health. Same goes for intestinal parasites, they do occur but not to the extent of the parasite theory which many think all symptoms are caused by parasites.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2011 09:39AM by powerlifer.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 26, 2012 10:08PM

Maka, it's not necessary to make the same post in multiple threads, most of us read all the new ones and will see it if you only post it in one.

Posted by: Vinci ()
Date: April 18, 2012 11:10AM

Marsh. Can you share what your diet is and if you got over most of your problems?

Powerlifter: Could you add a list here of all the things that help to improve gut flora?

That would be most appreciated. Thanks.

I haven't been well for quite a while, and have symptoms of candida. I've been jumping around between diets and it's making me weaker and jittery. I'm craving really sweet things but have gotten to the point where I'm believing it's the candida 'speaking', rather than following my urges. Any advice?

Date: April 18, 2012 11:21AM

Vinci Wrote:
> Powerlifter: Could you add a list here of all the
> things that help to improve gut flora?

Prebiotics i always feel are the best start, there are literally thousands of different strains of gut bacteria and we can only repopulate so many with probiotics. Not that probiotics aren't important for those with altered or lack of gut flora just that i feel prebiotics are more important, they are what feed and stimulate the activity of the gut flora.

The bulk of prebiotic fibers comes from diet, im not sure if i posted it in here already but its not hard to find a list of the top prebiotic foods. 2 tablespoons of rice bran a day is a good prebiotic fiber source if your looking for one.

As for probiotics there are a number of different choices the ones i have found most consistent and helpful for the majority are fermented foods(kefir, cultured veggies, miso etc) and high strength probiotic formulations such as VLS3, Natures Biotics Soil Based Organisms(excellent product and very potent start slow as directed on instructions) and LB17 fermented paste.

Restoring stomach acid and PH is very important in overcoming candida and other opportunistic pathogens of the GI tract. Bitter herbs pre meal on the back of the tongue help stimulate stomach acid release, pancreatic digestive enzymes and bile thus helping aid digestion. Replacing Zinc and other nutrients needed for stomach acid formation in an absorbable form such as Zinc Citrate is important also.

I will try write an updated article soon on digestive health but im struggling to find time these days to be able to put an article out of quality rather than some of the rushed pieces ive done in the past.

What are your symptoms out of interest Vinci, i am not a doctor by the way just that i went round in circles thinking candida was the root of my problems when heavy metal toxicity and dysfunctional adrenal glands were among my main root issues. Bear in mind there can be a number of issues going on, the problem with candida self-diagnosis websites is that they tend to attribute every disease and symptom to candida.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2012 11:27AM by powerlifer.

Posted by: nrothgarden ()
Date: April 19, 2012 04:38AM

powerlifer Wrote:
> Here is an excerpt from a study which shows proof
> that an acidic PH keeps candida in its harmless
> yeast form, where as an alkaline PH allows candida
> to morph into its hyphal tissue penetrating fungal
> form.
>
> "In tissue samples from mucosal surfaces with a
> non-acidic pH, such as the tongue, oesophagus,
> intestine, and most skin areas, filamentous forms
> of C albicans predominated, and most of them
> exhibited both 1H4 immunostaining and an invasive
> phenotype (fig 3A ). In internal organs having a
> non-acidic pH (liver, lung, heart, and thyroid)
> from patients with systemic candidiasis, variable
> numbers of yeast cells were found, together with
> hyphae or pseudohyphae in virtually all cases. In
> these tissues, both yeast and filamentous forms
> showed strong 1H4 immunoreactivity (fig 3B , C).
> In contrast, in those tissues with an acidic pH,
> such as the stomach and collecting ducts of the
> kidney, the predominant form of C albicans was the
> blastospore (yeast). Interestingly, in these
> locations yeast cells essentially showed no 1H4
> immunoreactivity (fig 3D , E). However, when
> adjacent tissue invasion was present, hyphae or
> pseudohyphae were the predominant form."
>
> "The ability to undergo transition from the yeast
> to the hyphal form appears to be crucial in the
> pathogenesis of invasive candidiasis. 4– 6 Both
> yeast cells and hyphae are found in infected
> tissues and contribute to pathogenesis. Yeast
> cells are better suited for rapid haematogenous
> dissemination, but together with hyphal elements
> they are also capable of breaching epithelial and
> endothelial barriers to cause extensive organ
> damage. 4 During the infectious process, yeast
> cells and hyphae may encounter different
> microenvironments within the host. At acidic pH, C
> albicans grows mostly in the yeast form; at an
> alkaline pH, it grows primarily in the filamentous
> form. 2, 6, 7 Gastric acid provides an effective
> barrier to most microorganisms (normal gastric pH
> values are 1–3.5). In contrast, achlorhydria and
> the use of H2 antagonists, which raise gastric pH,
> have been found to be associated with a higher
> proportion of invasive gastric candidiasis. 17
> Similarly, although the skin is relatively
> inhospitable to fungal growth, 18 the experimental
> increase of skin surface pH yields more pronounced
> cutaneous candidiasis in human volunteers. 19"
>
> [www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Yes, it's a common myth that increasing alkalinity reduces candida overgrowth. In fact the opposite is true. It's a cycle where as candida overgrowth occurs, less stomach acid is produced, further reducing our ability to keep the candida levels down. The issue can be addressed by increasing stomach acid with supplements such as zinc and TMG, as well as reestablishing the flora with probiotics and prebiotics.

It's important to note that you cannot get rid of candida entirely and you aren't supposed to. You just need to bring it down to a balanced level. This is why so many people fail when attempting to get rid of candida by using anti-fungals or going on a no carb diet. It simply cannot work because it's impossible to eliminate the food sources for candida.

Check out my raw food review blog at rawfoodland.com!

Date: April 19, 2012 08:02AM

Very true nrothgarden smiling smiley, this myth is probably due to the alkaline/acid theory which is extremely poorly understood and those who sell alkaline PH waters/supplements.

Taking these alkaline supplements and manipulating parts of the body which are meant to remain slightly acidic to function normally is a terrible idea.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables