Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Raw Potatos
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: September 20, 2012 08:30AM

Yet its only ever these alternative books, colon cleansing sites and guru's who have ever witnessed mucoid plaque.

Like i say if it was the cause of all or most diseases we would certainly be seeing some evidence of this, yet we aren't.

Holistic approach is great but we must realize there are many different caustive factors in disease. Whilst one friend of mine with MS has pretty severe leaky gut and adrenal fatigue, my other friend with MS doesn't and actually has great digestion. One is in a wheelchair and the other isnt and so on. There are so many different factors and i still believe there is no way we can suggest there is one root cause of every disease when we have a wealth of decent solid research that would disagree.

None the less, its been an interesting discussion John.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2012 08:39AM by powerlifer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 20, 2012 10:18AM

Yep flipperjan that was me that mentioned using a quarter raw potato in my juicing

Tam I find soaking the cut potatoes in cold water cuts out the devilish spitty starchy taste smiling smiley

Here's a couple of for interest sake links smiling smiley
[health-care.eu]
[guide2herbalremedies.com]

Prana lol! No kidding! grinning smiley.

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2012 10:27AM by Jgunn.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: September 20, 2012 12:40PM

Jodi!

Good advice! I have followed it to prep potatoes for cooking in certain ways, but for some reason thought I might be washing off something beneficial if I did this to potatoes I intend to juice raw.

chat,

Yeah, something occurs to the potatoes in the process of juicing them that makes them not taste starchy and cool, but actually caustic and pretty awful. But I have heard that the juice is good for what ails ya my whole life, so . . . smiling smiley

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: September 20, 2012 02:36PM

That juice is a medicine, and medicine do not always task good. Potato juice is supreme. medicine and food. The juice is also a very good facial cleanser

Date: September 21, 2012 07:43AM

yer welcome Tam .. i dont think there is a whole lot of loss ina cold water soak smiling smiley

Rawpracticalis i never heard that about the facial cleanser definitely gonna look that one up grinning smiley

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: September 21, 2012 02:41PM

i was confused. i think i understand now...

if a person has no intention of being all raw and is ill

recommendations by others to attend to the cause will fall on deaf ears
because
and the only way to preserve the self/status quo is to

go with
food as medicine and microbes cause disease

Date: September 21, 2012 06:37PM

fresh,

It's good to consider both sides, as no one has spoken the last word on this subject yet. In any case, the OP wished to have a discussion about whether raw foodists consume raw potatoes, and whether they are harmful. I have offered evidence that yes, one can consume raw potatoes/juice, and it may be beneficial and not worm passing.

Would much rather put it on my face than drink it, though smiling smiley

Date: September 21, 2012 06:59PM

wonder where the raw potato / worm connection came from lol .. ive actually heard that too LOL grinning smiley

Posted by: jalanutan ()
Date: September 21, 2012 07:38PM

Coming from a farming background, I was always told as a lad to wash the fruit'n'vegies well or I'd get worms.

You know, that voice is still there in my head when I 'wash' my raw vegies for my salad haha grinning smiley

Date: September 21, 2012 07:41PM

Some veggies are haven for parasites though such as watercress and should be washed thoroughly.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2012 07:41PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: chat ()
Date: September 21, 2012 08:05PM

What about curled kale? I found it is nearly impossible to wash thoroughly, it is all wrinkles and curls!

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Date: September 22, 2012 09:02PM

Yeah, it's nearly impossible to throroughly wash them. What's a natural worm killer we could ingest periodically to make sure we aren't carrying a colony of worms in our intestines?

A heap of garlic maybe???

jalan

Date: September 22, 2012 09:50PM

Supporting stomach acid levels and making sure your gut flora is balanced is the best idea as these are 2 of the bodies main defense against food bourne pathogens.

Garlic and many other spices/herbs have anti-parasitical properties, as do pumpkin seeds and some other foods such as figs, pineapples and papaya.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: September 23, 2012 11:51AM

Garlic kills everything even friendly bacteria, it is not a food, cannot be mono eaten

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2012 11:51AM by RawPracticalist.

Date: September 23, 2012 12:07PM

Garlic is also one of the most potent prebiotic foods though and as such stimulates the activity and feeds the gut flora.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: September 23, 2012 12:49PM

"the high sulphur content in garlic can cause colitis and dermatitis by destroying the natural flora in the gut. High doses of garlic may even prevent blood clotting and interfere with proper thyroid function"

Bbc report

Posted by: chat ()
Date: September 23, 2012 01:12PM

Ditto with regard to eating garlic, and onions as well - they are very good for health! And tasty as well, yum yum.

Wish there were no smell, that way i would be eating them every daysmiling smiley But with work and everything I currently restrict my garlic/onion consumption to weekends or days when I work from home. I'm lucky that my partner loves onions and garlic as well, so at least no problems there grinning smiley

>Banana ice-cream rocks!<

Date: September 23, 2012 01:22PM

fresh,

More specific citation, if you please: How much garlic? What kind? In people with pre-existing conditions?

That info is just too vague.

Thanks!

Date: September 23, 2012 01:40PM

Garlic can cause irritation in some individuals with ulcerative colitis but other than that i have never read any evidence to suggest garlic can cause colitis.

If you read the full article all it states is that many "health professionals" suggest garlic is bad for you by destroying the flora. The truth is that garlic doesn't even reach the majority of the flora and is also a potent prebiotic.

Raw Garlic is about 17.5% prebiotic by weight.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2012 01:46PM by powerlifer.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: September 23, 2012 04:10PM

I love garlic - i feel it is very beneficial in the small quantities that I eat it - usually chopped up in a salad dressing. Yum.

Date: September 23, 2012 09:54PM

Ok, so bulk garlic is out. But if we use garlic regularly in our salads etc, will it kill worm larvae or eggs that could be on our food?

jalan smiling smiley

Date: September 24, 2012 08:39AM

You have to camouflage garlic in some other foods to eat it, should not that tell us it is not food? The body is too smart, it knows you are hurting yourself

Date: September 24, 2012 10:51AM

Garlic is ok but i prefer raw onions. I can eat lots of raw onions in my salads, and they are another potent prebiotic food with lots of other health benefits.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: September 24, 2012 02:17PM

RawPracticalist,

I understand that Natural Hygiene has its own ideas, but this is not the commonly accepted definition of food:

You have to camouflage garlic in some other foods to eat it, should not that tell us it is not food?

Even on these Forums. For example, eating some chopped garlic and tomato salad hardly camouflages the garlic, and is edible. Thus, food.

Date: September 24, 2012 03:07PM

it's not that it camouflages the garlic, it's that the garlic "enhances" the otherwise tastelessness of the tomatoes due to poor quality tomatoes or eating the tomatoes incorrectly (not truly hungry, etc) or tastebud issues.

the most common reasons people eat garlic and onions are

1- impaired tastebuds requiring "stimulation" to enjoy food
2- eating poor quality or inappropriate food (similar to above)
3- alleged medicinal/prebiotic benefits of garlic and onions

1 is clearly true
2 is clearly true
3 is a denial of the inherent powers of the body to self regulate and a denial of the body to maintain healthy flora using the digestive byproducts of normal non irritating food items. (unless it can be shown that the body cannot handle this chore)

Date: September 24, 2012 05:15PM

Garlic and onions are some of the most researched anti-cancer foods along with the likes of broccoli and other dark leafy greens. Definitley two foods id include in my diet pending i wasn't sensitive to them.

[www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

Date: September 24, 2012 06:01PM

Well I have never seen someone holding enjoyably, mouth-wateringly a piece of garlic to eat. After you are done with the pain, you want to wash your mouth, you do not want your friend to know you committed a crime.
I want to eat my juicy mango, please.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2012 06:12PM by RawPracticalist.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: September 24, 2012 09:11PM

I don't want to hide the taste, or lack of, of my salad or vegetables - i LIKE the taste of raw garlic on it's own as well as in a salad. What is so difficult to understand about that. just because some of you don't or cant eat it doesn't mean that it isn't a perfectly good food for the rest of us. Yes it's strong, yes it's hot, yes it's smelly - so what - it is jolly nice too. I don't find it painful to eat either!! I've always enjoyed hot foods - chilli's and horseradish too.

Date: September 24, 2012 09:46PM

powerlifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Garlic and onions are some of the most researched
> anti-cancer foods along with the likes of broccoli
> and other dark leafy greens. Definitley two foods
> id include in my diet pending i wasn't sensitive
> to them.
>
> [www.vegankingdom.co.uk]

"sensitive"

Supports my point

Date: September 25, 2012 01:14AM

Does anyone have an opinion re my last post???

As for the garlic as food issue, I don't see why garlic can't be classified as food since it has nutrient value.

What about chilli, is it a food? I consider garlic as food, but I use it as a condiment to add another flavour. I also altinate garlic with black pepper, and would consider garlic more of a food than pepper.

And why can't we use these additions to our food to give us extra flavour? We have given up soooo much of what is considered 'good' food, and I don't see why we have to go to such an extreme, or have such an extreme view.

Of course, if it's a personal decision, fine, each to their own.

jalan

Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables