Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: fermenting food
Date: October 08, 2013 01:22AM

Here is something highly interesting that runs against everything raw fooders have been saying. It is increasingly looking like plants do contain some inorganic minerals (eg, non-heme iron and zinc), and fermentation does convert these minerals to proper organic form. Lowly absorbed minerals from plants do appear to be in inorganic form because the anti nutrients in food stop various minerals from converting to organic form. Wow!!!

Animals contain organic iron and zinc minerals, that's why it is better absorbed when used as food, but plants is different. l'll post some science on this another day.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2013 01:27AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: October 08, 2013 05:56AM

"And out of the ground the LORD God made to spring up every tree that is pleasant to the sight and good for food.."

..And the LORD God said...

AND THOU SHALT FERMENT THEM BEFORE EATING THEM BECAUSE I DID NOT MAKE IT RIGHT

There something totally wrong in this.

Date: October 08, 2013 09:00AM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "And out of the ground the LORD God made to spring
> up every tree that is pleasant to the sight and
> good for food.."

The thing is....how do we know that was actually said? Can we trust corrupted man to keep the messages pure? There are many versions of the good book and many of them say contradictory things. Man has corrupted many good messages.

Lets ask ourselves these questions
- who were the people who could read and write in the old days...who reported the history, and did they have motives for corrupting the messages before passing onto the masses? Where the interpretations correct?
- were these messages from God written down verbatim and documented, or were they passed onto 3rd parties?

(l could go on and on).

We can only think for ourselves and use common sense bacause man can't be trusted to keep things pure.

You might want to read the book `The book the church's doesn't want you to read'. It points out a lot of interesting things that are important for mankind to think about.

Was man originally intended to eat, or did he sin and suffer the consequences of anti nutrients as his poison for eating from the `so called' Garden of Eden.

Sure, all that stuff on trees is good for food, but obviously there are problems with the food supply. Is it our karma for taking the lower path? Possibly!

Date: October 08, 2013 11:02AM

Leaving God aside, the universal laws seem to be working perfectly in other systems. The solar system, the galaxies are working in unison, at the subatomic level, the electrons, the atoms are well coordinated in their interactions. Even within our on bodies, the cells, the blood, the nerves all seem to be working fine.
But when to come to the food we have to eat, it is not good enough, there is a failure in creation, it needs to be fermented before consumption. I cannot grab an apple from a tree and eat it, it needs to be fermented.

Date: October 08, 2013 11:54PM

Now below IS a very important study on fermenting and sprouting/malting for many reasons. This is brilliant!!!

Effects of Malting and Fermentation on Anti-Nutrient Reduction and
Protein Digestibility of Red Sorghum, White Sorghum and Pearl Millet

C. A. Onyango1, S. O. Ochanda1, M. A. Mwasaru1, J. K Ochieng2, F. M. Mathooko3 & J. N. Kinyuru1

[www.ccsenet.org]

My observations and conclusions of the study - slightly different to the researchers because mine are based on practical uses for households and not for labs

You will see that high tannin cereals are fermented without a starter, and the tannins are hardly reduced at all during the first day of fermentation because the phytase action is greatly inhibited by the tannins. If a high phytase grain ferment was used for the millet it would have reduced tannins and IP5 and IP6 phytic acids significantly after the first day. This is important for us because we must apply it to practical situations and not in laboritory tests over 8 days like in the linked study.

Scientific findings - note the underelines part about lowering Ph values below 4 and it's effect on killing off bad bacteria of the ferment!!!
Sorghum and millet and their products require specialized treatment in order to improve their nutritive value,organoleptic properties and shelf-life. They contain anti-nutrients which are the major phytochemicals which negatively affects their nutritive values. The phytochemicals of concern include tannins and phytates, which interfere with mineral absorption, palatability and protein digestibility. Malting and fermentation treatments were applied to reduce the anti-nutrients, improve protein digestibility, and acidity to increase the products shelf life.

The effects of malting and fermentation on the cereals nutritive value and anti-nutrient reduction were studied and evaluated for a period of 8 days. A treatment combining malting for 3 days and fermentation for 2 days
respectively both at room temperatures (25°C) was employed. Tannins and phytates were significantly reduced (p ? 0.05) by malting and fermentation. Protein digestibility was significantly (p ? 0.05) improved by malting and fermentation treatments; malted cereals digestibility ranged between 34.5-68.1% while the fermented flours protein digestibility range was 97.4-98.3%. The pH values were lowered to below 4.0, a level at which they could effectively inhibit spoilage microorganisms at the end of the fermentation period
. A combination of
optimum time treatments of malting and fermentation for 3 days and 2 days respectively were effective in reducing tannins and phytates and improving protein digestibility of the cereals.

Scientific conclusions
Conclusion
Malting and fermentation had several desirable effects on cereals. The processes decreased anti-nutrient levels and increased protein digestibility. Malting and fermentation were optimally done at 25ºC for 3 days and 2 days respectively. Malting increased protein digestibility but to a significantly lower level than that of fermentation (p? 0.05).

This study shows the following:
* germination and fermentation should be used in combination for best effect for reducing anti nutrients so digestion (utilisation of nutrition) is maximised
* fermenting high tannin ceareals with a high phytase low tannin fermented solution is the best way and will get faster results than in this 8 day study
* using a high phytase solution for fermenting without salt will fasten the fermentation and bring the acidity below a ph of 4 which will kill off many of the bad bacteria.

BAM...there you have it. Fermentation of bad bacteria is going to be minimal when brought below the critical ph of 4 value.

One last thing...it is the Inositol hexaphosphates and pentaphosphates are the phytate forms that exert the negative effects as anti nutrients (IP5 - IP6), not the tetraphosphate and triphosphate (IP3 and IP4 phytic acids). See here.

Dietary Factors Influencing Zinc Absorption

Bo Lönnerdal

[jn.nutrition.org]

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2013 12:01AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: October 09, 2013 12:36AM

Some science to back up my statement that soaking high tannin cereals has a limited effect on increasing nutrient absorption, therefore a phytase solution is needed to over-ride the negative effect of tannins. (A short summery)

Lactic Fermentation of Non-Tannin and High-Tannin Cereals: Effects on In Vitro Estimation of Iron Availability and Phytate Hydrolysis

U. SVANBERG, W. LORRI, A.-S. SANDBEAG

[onlinelibrary.wiley.com]

www.thesproutarian.com

Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: October 09, 2013 01:32AM

should we link unpleasant taste (for example bitter/acid/bland taste raw food) with anti-nutrient content of food as nature should be telling us something through our sense of taste regarding what should be good or not for our body

just a thought

love
Cynthia

Date: October 09, 2013 02:11AM

cynthia Wrote:
> should we link unpleasant taste (for example
> bitter/acid/bland taste raw food) with
> anti-nutrient content of food as nature should be
> telling us something through our sense of taste
> regarding what should be good or not for our body
>
>
> just a thought
>
> love
> Cynthia

I think taste is a dubious way to be 100% sure. All foods have anti nutrients - some foods are easier to detect anti nutrients than others, but it isn't a reliable way to test things.

cynthia Wrote:
> I tried to sprout chia seeds and I got a jelly
> impossible to drain - any advices are welcome

* soak for 4 hours
* put on a cloth on top of a tray, be sure to spread out so seeds are not on top of each other.
* spray lightly twice a day after a 1 - 1.5 days (when the seeds start getting slightly dry after you initially put them on the tray)
* will be ready in 2 - 3 days

Easy to grow without much hassle.Then you scrape the cloth clean, boil it and use it again.

A quick note on possible food processing steps if you choose too
Scrape the chia sprouts off with a spoon and eat, OR...crush them up and ferment for a day, OR idealy...dry them as much as possible, crush them and then ferment for ideal taste and removal of anti nutrients.

A quick note on bringing a stabilised enviroment best for growing any microgreens
I am now trying greenhouse sprouting because it makes things much much easier to grow in stabilised environments, and l would think chia grass could do very well this way.

With love,

Brian Nexus

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2013 02:14AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: October 09, 2013 03:27AM

"Effects of Malting and Fermentation on Anti-Nutrient Reduction and
Protein Digestibility of Red Sorghum, White Sorghum and Pearl Millet"

A lot of trouble and suffering trying to increase the digestibility of something we are not supposed to be eating. Cereals are for birds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2013 03:27AM by madinah.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: October 11, 2013 04:35PM

powerlifter Wrote:
> If anyone has digestive problems(candida, poor
> motility, IBS, leaky gut etc) or gut flora
> imbalances in general then soil based organisms
> are a good addition to fermented foods. Or if one
> is wishing to support the gut flora but isn't in
> the position to ferment there own foods. Store
> bought fermented foods such as kefir tend to
> contain very little if any viable beneficial
> organisms and often lots of sugar.
>
> The best soil based organism probiotic/prebiotic
> supplement is called Prescript-Assist
>
> Prescript-Assist is one of the few probiotics to
> have double blind placebo controlled, clinical
> studies proving its effectiveness at restoring the
> gastro-intestinal microflora. Soil based organism
> are also heat stable, so don't require
> refridgeration or lose potency like other
> probiotics.
>
> Primal Defense is often recommended as a good soil
> based organism probiotic but it only has 1 SBO
> strain compared to Prescript-Assit which has 29
> strains of SBOs and naturally occuring prebiotic
> to provide food for the beneficial bacteria.
>
> Soil Based Organisms are a good to accompany
> fermented foods because we don't tend to get much
> or any of these in our diet of current times.
> Unless you grow your own produce and eat
> relatively straight from the soil, then most
> produce is heavily washed, cleaned before we
> consume.

US Supplier
[www.magneticclay.com]

Date: October 17, 2013 04:10AM

My diet consists mainly of fruits (40 percent), indoor sprouts and microgreens (30 percent), store bought greens (10 percent), the rest is made of seeds.
For the next 3 months, I will experiment with adding seaweeds and fermented food.
Fermented? I am not sure but I will try.

Date: October 17, 2013 06:45AM

l am glad you are open to trying things out. I think the seaweeds will surprise you.

Do you soak the seeds?

Btw, l think it is great that you grow microgreens, especially the grasses. I have a soft spot for grass growers.

How do you feel, High energy or do you just get along?

So many raw food people feel not feeling energetic. Frederic Patenaude said in his book that in reality he NEVER felt the energy he always dreamed of and on most days struggled to keep going. Fred reports saying to people he felt great, but the reality was quite different.

The top essential foods in my diet are:
* green sprout juices
* sea weeds

but sprouted grains and sprouted seeds give me a buzz too. Fermenting them brings the foods to a new level and makes the food more tastey.

-------------
Got some great studies to present on fermenting too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2013 06:47AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: October 17, 2013 02:35PM

I do not eat that many seeds may be I should say 5 percent of my diet. I do soak them but not ferment. Sometimes I will just eat them as is. Only 3 seeds that I use: sunflower, pumpkins, and black sesame.

The amazing thing with this diet is that I am always full of energy. I can feel the energy in my whole body, my hands, my head. I thought about getting into energy healing, I have to much of it.

I think the microgreens (especially sunflower greens) and wheatgrass have a lot to do with it. When I stop using the grass over a period of a month, my energy will diminish. There is something in them that is unique, and I do not know what it is, just that it works for me.

The only other green that comes close to their potency in my observation is dandelion green.

So I am surprised that Frederic Patenaude does not see any use of wheatgrass.

Natural Hygienically speaking the grasses are not food, you could not eat them until you are full. But they work for me. Recently I got into growing micro corn grass. So easy to work with so potent.

I will experiment with seaweeds and fermentation to reduce juicing. I have been juicing for a long time, it is time to give it a break.

Date: October 17, 2013 08:57PM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
> I do not eat that many seeds may be I should say 5
> percent of my diet. I do soak them but not
> ferment. Sometimes I will just eat them as is.
> Only 3 seeds that I use: sunflower, pumpkins, and
> black sesame.

I am surprised you don't sprout those seeds. Sprouting also brings down the fat levels by converting concentrated fats to fatty acids. That way you can eat more of those seeds without problems....they become more like a nutritious fruit. I am surprised you don't also do chia sprouts.

Fermented sprouted sunflower tastes like delicious yoghurt. Fermented sprouted sesame is another high energy food, but fermented kelp and sea weeds are the best of all, they never fail, and the fermentation makes them really tastey.

>
> I think the microgreens (especially sunflower
> greens) and wheatgrass have a lot to do with it.

Oh yes, they are highly potent energy foods. Both have their unique contributions and are the two most important greens. Wheatgrass juice is said to contain 96 out of 115 elements in the universe and is the highest source of phyto nutrients (phyto nutrients are far more potent than ordinary vitamins and minerals towards beating disease and keeping a healthy body), + wheatgrass juice is the highest source of oxygen that even breathing can't match - people with breathing problems are best advised to drink grass juice, + it gives more oxygen than deeping breathing yoga. GRASS IS POWERFUL STUFF!!!

> When I stop using the grass over a period of a
> month, my energy will diminish. There is something
> in them that is unique, and I do not know what it
> is, just that it works for me.

>
> So I am surprised that Frederic Patenaude does
> not see any use of wheatgrass.

I am surprised many raw food folks will eats veggie greens but not wheatgrass. I am surprised Johnny Kohler doesn't juice grass.

> Recently I got into growing
> micro corn grass. So easy to work with so potent.
I used to juice corn grass about 18 years ago when l started raw, but in recent times the seeds have been no good. I miss growing corn grass.

The biggest hassle is growing jar sprouts because of dehulling, but microgreens are easy.

>
> I will experiment with seaweeds and fermentation
> to reduce juicing. I have been juicing for a long
> time, it is time to give it a break.

I still hope you juice at least some microgreens (at least 16 oz each day). Green juice is important.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2013 09:04PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: October 17, 2013 09:37PM

Hy everyone,

I'd like to know how to sprout chia seeds.

Any advices?

Date: October 17, 2013 10:07PM

cynthia Wrote:
> Hy everyone,
>
> I'd like to know how to sprout chia seeds.
>
> Any advices?

Hi Cynthia,

l posted in this thread above about growing chia sprouts. Here it is:

* soak for 4 hours
* put on a cloth on top of a tray, be sure to spread out so seeds are not on top of each other.
* spray lightly twice a day after a 1 - 1.5 days (when the seeds start getting slightly dry after you initially put them on the tray)
* will be ready in 2 - 3 days

Easy to grow without much hassle.Then you scrape the cloth clean, boil it and use it again.

I'll upload a video l made on growing chia sprouts and chia grass so you can see also. The video has editing problems and l made one or two mistakes in my talk and it is far from good, but at least l give a basic idea on how to grow them. All my videos are rough, but hopefully in time l can do much much better. I'm just feeling my way at the moment with the youtube.

Date: October 19, 2013 12:17AM

thank you TSM
I look forward to try it

(sorry I missed your precedent post )

Date: October 22, 2013 12:15AM

A mind blowing study with mind blowing conclusions and mind blowing possibilities - I need your help

Dr Brian Clement claims that mung bean sprouts have the most digestable protein of virtually any food, yet people report having problems with digesting them and gas, so l always knew he was wrong. Mung beans sprouts are not highly digestable, and here is scientific proof that Dr Brian Clement is completely wrong!

Influence of Legume Processing Treatments Individually or in Combination on Their
Trypsin Inhibitor and Total Phenolic Contents

Rasha Mohamed K, 2A.Y. Gibriel, Nagwa M. H. Rasmy, Ferial M. Abu-Salem and
Esmat A. Abou- Arab

[www.ajbasweb.com]

While this study is limited because it doesn't measure the effects of sprouting and fermentation as combined factors alone without cooking included, this study is brilliant!!! The study also didn't measure the total effects of all the lactic acid bacteria, instead it isolated them into four groups.

Very important notes

I have finally worked out why mung bean sprouts cause digestive problems with people, and that is because, as mung beans are fully sprouted the total polyphenol contents greatly increased to higher than the original seed. The peak period for reduction in mung bean sprout tannins is 24 - 48 hours, and the peak period for reducing mung bean sprout trypsin inhibitor content is between 48 - 72 hours. So when these two factors (trypsin inhibitor and tannin inhibitor) are combines it looks like 48 hours of sprouting mung beans could be the optimal period and then to ferment. OR to sprout for 72 hours to reduce trypsin inhibitor by 35% and then ferment to reduce total polyphenols significantly (this option could be the best).

Beans are all problems with polyphenols and trypsin inhibitors on the effects of protein digestion. Cooking them reduces trypsin inhibitor to zero, but lots of polyphenol is still present, which could explain why they still produce gas and indigestion.

A test l put to people here
Experiments need to be done by people to see if 72 hour sprouted mung followed by 24 - 48 hours of fermentation by rye sprout rejuvalic still causes gas. If it doesn't, we might conclude that raw legumes can actually be consumed and are superior to cooked legumes in terms of digestion - this is a radical call!!!!! Lets test it, anyone want to try it?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2013 12:21AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: November 22, 2013 12:09AM

Proof that fermenting and sprouting DOES massively increase protein digestability [among many other things].

Also, we should note that that sprouting does increase protein levels overall [via conversion to amino acids]. The protein values always look much smaller on the surface, but the available predigested protein (amino acids) are usually higher (see an example in study below).

Aside note: grinding of grains is not recommended, it destroys much of the mineral content of foods.

Effect of Processing Treatments Followed by Fermentation on Protein Content
and Digestibility of Pearl Millet (Pennisetum typhoideum) Cultivars

Amro B. Hassan*, Isam A. Mohamed Ahmed, Nuha M. Osman, Mohamed M. Eltayeb,
Gammaa A. Osman and Elfadil E. Babiker
Department of Food Science and Technology, Faculty of Agriculture,
University of Khartoum, Shambat, Sudan

[www.pjbs.org]

Highlights of the study above

Fermentation of the germinated grains gave higher protein digestibility (> 90%) compared to all other treatments.

Fermentation causes degradation of grain components, especially starch and soluble sugars.

Germination of the grains was found to increase the protein content for both cultivars to 13.2 and 16.3%, respectively.

The increment in protein content of the germinated grains may be due to quantitative reduction in antinutritional factors (tannin, polyphenols and phytic acid).

The in vitro protein digestibility of untreated grains (finely ground) of Gadarif cultivar was found to be 63.2% while that of Gazeera cultivar was 66%. Germination of the grains was found to increase the IVPD of Gadarif and Gazeera cultivars to 90.1 and 91.7%, respectively.

Dry heating, debranning and soaking of the grains slightly improved the IVPD of both cultivars.

The protein digestibility was significantly improved when the processed grains were fermented for 12 h for both cultivars.

Fermentation of the germinated grains improved the IVPD of Gadarif cultivar to 91.1% (Fig. 2a) while that of Gazeera improved to 92.0% (Fig. 2b). Further increase in the fermentation time (24 h) was observed to caused a further improvement in IVPD of the cultivars (Fig. 3a and b). Fermentation of the germinated grains for 24 h improved the IVPD of both Gadarif and Gazeera cultivars to 93.6% (Fig. 3a and b). Fermentation of other processed grains for 24 h also improved the IVPD of the cultivars even the IVPD of the course ground grains.

Conclusion: Fermentation of processed pearl millet grains caused significant reduction in antinutritional factors of the grains, which was accompanied by significant improvement in the protein digestibility. It may be inferred that among various processing treatments germination followed by natural fermentation proved to be more effective in increasing the protein digestibility of the cultivars.

I believe that using a high phytase starter would have brought the level of digestability up much higher because it would have reduced the inhibiting effect of the tannins. But just as important...grind that sprouted millet and then ferment it.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: November 22, 2013 04:21PM

Very neat. Thank for the info.

Date: November 22, 2013 08:48PM

It gets even better, check out this below.

The effects of different treatments on the
phytochemicals, proximate, and mineral contents of
beniseeds (sesamum indicum linn)

Momoh, A.O *, Adebolu, T.T and Ogundare A.O

[garj.org]

Highlights of the study here below. It shows that fermentation of sesame makes tannins, oxalic acid, alkaloids, trypsin inhibitor, glycolside and oxalic acid ALL GONE after two days of fermenting in plain distilled water (see table three), BUT if they were soaked in a high phytase solution (rejuvalic) those anti nutrients would be gone much much faster. Imagine how good sprouting and soaking in rye rejuvalic is....destroys the anti nutrients like nothing else. Same would go for sunflower seeds.

Note: sesame is one of the highest food sources of oxalic acid, it is brutal...perhaps the highest source and eating unsoaked sesame will cause chronic bone problems, yet l have completely recovered my bone health through eating sesame because l processed it via sprouting and more recently fermenting.

The thing which really surprised me was the fact that alkaloids can be greatly reduces in sesame by fermentation. WOW!!! Lots of foods are high in alkaloids, so adding rejuvalic is definitely the way to go.

Buckwheat is also very high in oxalic acid, so sprouting and adding rejuvalic is also neccessary. Buckwheat is also a known source of other nasty toxins that cause people to become sensitive to sunlight, so it makes me wonder if fermentation can reduce this factor. Now l even read that fermentation can break down cynanide, and recently saw that organic acids can detoxify aluminium (need to check out the aluminium thing much more to be certain).

It seems like all seeds are high in tannins and oxalic acid, and despite no science available to show tannins and oxalic acid in chia (despite internet rumours), l am assuming that chia will also have high levels of anti nutrients and consequently sprout, crush and ferment it.

Another science paper by the same people on the same subject.
[www.sjpub.org]

More good stuff coming.

Late edit: from the feedback l have had, it also looks like the highly dubious mung bean can be tamed via sprouting and fermentation. Sprouted mung still contains many anti nutrients and indigestable anti nutrients and will be gas causing, but it looks like the `chitinase' factor can be overcome in fermentation and that those indigestable proteins can actually be reduced.

Watch out for the legumes. When sprouted the tannins will reduce, but after a few days they often come back and can become higher. This shows us that sprouted legumes is not enough, they need fermentation in rye rejuvalic to finish the job to make them fit to eat.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2013 08:54PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: November 22, 2013 10:41PM

THeSt0rm Wrote:
> What about the alkaloids, I dont know anything
> about them. How do they make one feel,

They can make you feel bloated, greatly impede digestion and put you off wanting to eat that food. Non organic foods are higher in alkaloids than organic.

> and when
> fermented out of the food how different is it?

Sesame is very high in alkaloids, but l have always sprouted them and never had a problem. BUT...my snow pea shoots are very high in alkaloids and l always suffer if l consume them everyday, but l haven't had the chance to add rejuvalic to the drink yet to really test it, so l jhave to wait until next year to really find out how powerful adding rejuvalic to snow pea sprout juice can be.

Alfalfa is high in alkaloids too.

It's an easy fix. Just eat those high alkaloids plants less if you want to avoid fermenting. lf l drink non organic snow pea juice 4 times a week l have no problems, but if l drink it everyday l fall aprt after three weeks.

And yes...wheatgrass etc are problems. Why? Because the alkaloids reach their peak during the jointing stage when the grass reaches maximum nutrition. That's why l only consume it 5 days a week and add rejuvalic for safe measure.

Funny enough, l consume organic fenugreek sprout juice everyday (probably not a good iea) and have never had problems. Now l am trying to rotate the juices more and consume fenugreek alittle less.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2013 10:42PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: November 23, 2013 12:31AM

It stinks that food has to be like this. Raw foods should be easy and fully healthy to consume and people should be able to thrive on an all raw diet imo, but this is far from the case.

The story about alkaloids being in plants to deter flesh beings from eating the entire plant so nature can protect itself is flawed too. More to the story than that.

Storm, l will send you some eye opening conspiracy stuff soon. True stuff that will blow your mind.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: November 23, 2013 01:03AM

An quote from earlier in the thread:

"The presence of tannins in food can therefore lower feed efficiency, depress growth, decrease iron absorption, damage the mucosal lining of the gastrointestinal tract, alter excretion of cations, and increase excretion of proteins and essential amino acids (Reddy and Pierson 1994). Dehulling, cooking and fermentation reduce the tannin content of cereals and other foods"

Unripe fruit can be high in tannins, so eating lots of store bought fruit isn't the answer to health. Fresh fruit is different.

And not only do high fruit eaters battle to get protein and other nutrients, many needed nutrients are poorly absorbed because the fruit isn't ripe or fresh. If you are eating store bought produce and use the cronometer as your religion you are going to be in a nasty shock. The cronometer has no reflection on reality.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2013 01:07AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: rojersequaria ()
Date: November 25, 2013 11:41AM

There is just no easy way to verify that a given fermentation worked or failed.

Date: November 25, 2013 01:30PM

rojersequaria Wrote:
> There is just no easy way to verify that a given
> fermentation worked or failed.

Fermentation has had a good reputation in many cultures for a very long time. l am sure they aren't perfect, but they still work well. Healthy people can handle some bad bacteria without any problems. Having some bad bacteria certainly outweighs the problem that anti nutrients play in a raw diet.

If l had a choice between low iron and zinc absorbtion along with foods with good levels of runaway sugars and less efficient digestion of protein and fatty acids v's some bad bacteria...i'd rather bad bacteria over the former any day. Anti nutrients have the high ability to break a raw food diet and make it fail in the long term. And lets not forget the nasty old tannins (see my post above yours).

If you have a decent immune system and eat greens, nuts, various seeds, algaes, grains and legumes, then fermentation is a must so you can properly absorb the food and reduce various toxins.

Date: November 25, 2013 03:46PM

Do we have to add salt to the fermentation? [fermup.com] [learningandyearning.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2013 03:48PM by RawPracticalist.

Date: November 25, 2013 09:36PM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
> Do we have to add salt to the fermentation?
> [fermup.com]-
> i-fermented-them-anyway/
> [learningandyearning.com]
> rlic-and-ways-to-use-it/

No. Salt just slows down the fermentation process. If you are fermenting foods to last throughout winter you might want to add salt.

Date: March 22, 2014 07:06AM

I have found a 70 page science study done on sprouting by Dr Finney, and he is saying everything l have been saying about sprouts. A comprehensive discussion on why the sprout diet is far more nutritious than the average raw vegan diet will be posted in a short while. I am collecting all the nutrition charts and will be posting the science of it all.

Some nutrients in green veggies may be higher than in various sprouts, but a mixed green sprout diet will make up for this and come out a winner. + we have the sprouted seeds which puts the sprout diet MILES ahead of the average vegan diet, + when we add in sprouted fermented grains and algaes it is game over. + we have the enzymes, phytonutrients and phytohormones, minerals and vitramins, and it's all fresh.

People may say...phytonutrients are not RDA's, but that is missing the point. These enzymes, phytonutrients are all part of the health and healing nature of plants, so if you are not taking into account all of these factors you are only seeing healing nutrition through a narrow scope (blinkered old fashioned
thinking).

What i'll do is post examples of diets and their nutrition levels so one becomes very clear of the nutrition of a sproutarian diet v's regular high fruit/veggie diets. It's time some eyes were opened about all this stuff once and for all.

fermentation = the nutrient booster, both gross and bioavailability increases
As has been said, fermentation does increase amino acid levels by increasing the limiting amino acids in plant foods and increasing NPU value. It also increases B vitamin levels in food, sometimes up to 50% according to Dr Finney's science paper. He references over 300 studies.

It's amazing too...the studies showing that sprouted foods are helping humans and animals get higher levels of health than regular plant foods. Lots of exciting things to talk about, and very very much to be said. Hold onto your hats folks, all the good stuff is coming.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2014 07:12AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: March 22, 2014 04:48PM

Thank for sharing

But recent postings have show the limitation and issues with fermentation.

Greens from sprouting is probably the best way to go.

Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables