Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: Transform yourself in 12 weeks - Trial Phase 2
Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: May 02, 2007 04:28AM

That's pricey, Kwan! Whereabouts are you?

The staples of my diet the last few days have been apples, and orange smoothies w/ either kale, collards, or red chard. Yum!

I've also been raw for about 48 hours, which used to be a lot more difficult, but now I find I can do it pretty easily! (My record for being 100% raw is one week give or take an hour)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Peisinoe ()
Date: May 02, 2007 03:20PM

Bronwyn-
I just have to say that

You are so totally cute!!

That is all,
xxpeisi

Posted by: bronwynsun ()
Date: May 02, 2007 04:03PM

awwww you are so lovely peisinoe!

i was on the phone and my roomate was taking photos...

how is everyone doing? kwan, that sounds crazy, ridiculously expensive! since i have discovered outdoor markets, i have become really cheap. i cannot shop in normal grocery stores anymore, I'm just appalled at the prices. Since getting my vitamix, I basically go to the outdoor markets (they know me now, so funny) and buy the bruised fruits that are on sale. Yesterday I got 33 bananas for $3, 24 blood oranges for 3$....and 2 MASSIVE bags or organic mixed greens, 4$ each, like the equivalent of 4 of those tubs of greens.

today i had the juice of about 6 blood oranges mixed with juice of 3 grapefruits, then 3 bananas later.

i ran half an hour and am eating a big salad now with miso/agave dressing. i'm going to go juggle and do handbalancing for a couple hours.

i am having such a hard time eating enough! i feel through the day like i'm full, eating enough, etc....but then in the evening i eat so much! i have to break this habit.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: May 02, 2007 08:14PM

Thomas and bronwynsun--
Yes, it's a abit outrageous! I live in Cambridge, MA right next-door to Boston (8 min. subway ride). We have outdoor markets in the summer, but the local farmer's markets are even more expensive than the co-op and Whole Foods. There is a good on in Boston on Fridays and Saturdays if you go really late in the day.

Our co-op is MORE expensive on most items than Whole Foods and Trader Joe's-- food politics is really nutty here, and it's not really a true co-op anymore. I have put in for a public garden plot-- I'm on the waiting list for next year! Cambridge has about 11 gardens, and the one I'm signed up for is a couple blocks from my house. Meanwhile, I'm scouting out places to buy cheaper produce. There's an organic store in Chelsea, MA that's quite a bit cheaper but I'm not sure how I could get there without a car-- probably about 3 bus-rides away.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: May 03, 2007 01:32AM

Ouch ouch ouch! I went to the gym, for the first time in many many years (I am ancient), and my muscles are hurting. How am I supposed to go there today again and do more? I need at least a week of holidays ha ha. No, seriously, do you people go to the gym even when you are hurting??? If you say yes, then I am thinking: "What did I get myself into!"

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: May 03, 2007 02:45AM

Nooooo! If I'm hurting I stay farrrrrr away from the gym!!! smiling smiley

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Date: May 03, 2007 02:48AM

RawGosia,
It can be a bit painful at first, but it gets better, really it does. ;-D Just go easy on yourself when you're hurting, but keep up the trips to the gym, and your body will eventually say to itself, "Dang, she means business! Sheesh, better get tough!"

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: May 03, 2007 03:11AM

I liked Sarah's answer better, Kwan. I was hoping that I could got myself out of it lol! Dang, I will have to go to the gym then (or lie to myself that your reasoning hasn't convinced me). Maybe, I could just go and see whether I can do it. If I can't, then it is only a short walk back. And, walking is good for me. Mixed feelings here.

Thanks so much, Sarah and Kwan.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: May 03, 2007 03:27AM

Rawgosia-

if you are lifting weights at the gym, you should always have a day of rest inbetween sessions. When your muscles are hurting, it is because when you work them, they release an acid (stretching helps prevents the muscle pain afterwards). Your muscles form small tears and during your day of rest, the muscles heal these tears- this is how you build muscle.

If you are only doing cardio- then I would say it is the acid thing... Try not to do too much at once, and remember that resting is just as important as exercise, and you shouldn't leave that out either!!

much love,
xxpeisi

Date: May 03, 2007 03:32AM

Peisi, you sound like an expert!

I did weights two days ago. Yesterday I did biking only. I feel the hurt in those muscles that I exercised two days ago. So, do you think I should or shouldn't? Me back to confusion state ha ha.

And, thanks for the good news - I may be growing some MUSCLES! Yay!

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2007 03:33AM by rawgosia.

Date: May 03, 2007 03:40AM

The pain you are feeling shouldn't last longer than the rest of this week. It happens to everyone when they start to train. Even if I go on holiday for 2 weeks and then come back to delivering mail, I get the cramps in my butt. :s

Well, when you are just starting, I would say-
try lifting weights twice a week, spaced out evenly... I don't see a problem doing cardio every day, but... Be careful not to go nuts on it. Many people starting with running/cycling think they need to do it for an hour each day, and get kind of "exercise addicted". I'd say, aim for an hour (although I never do more than 30 minutes of running, haha), and leave one day a week to just walking or relaxing. Do this for a few weeks until you don't feel any more pain at all and then I'd say, add another day of weights to your regime if you find you enjoy it!! Don't over-exert yourself on the weights though. Form is the most important thing, so be extra careful that you are lifting the weights properly before you go for the heavier ones.It always astonishes me how those HUGE muscley men lifting something with the weight of a truck have the worst form, and dangerously/stupidly risk injury.

I haven't done the weights in a long time. I find it hard to stay indoors during the summer. I'm on my bike or running around outside all the time in the sunshine grinning smiley

I'm glad to see that you have taken the first, and hardest step!!
much love,
xxpeisi

Date: May 03, 2007 03:52AM

Peisi, you ARE an expert! Thanks so much for your advice. Priceless.

Regards,
Gosia.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: May 03, 2007 02:56PM

Rawgosia,
Peisi is absolutely right about taking breaks between various types of work-outs. I forgot to mention that.

The way my husband does it (he's a great body-builder who at 63 still has the body of a 30 year old, no kidding; whereas I'm an amateur) is he does some upper body one day, back on another, and lower body on another, abs on another day, and so on, some other upper body work on another day, etc., and ends up doing each body section about once a week that way, with little pain. And of course he does some aerobic exercise, as well. He likes to spend about 20 minutes in the steam and sauna when he goes to the gym, as well-- not sure what people think of that, but for him it works.

If he hurts himself, he'll avoid doing heavy weights on that body part for awhile and instead he'll use light weights. He refers to this as 'just stretchin' it out,' though to me it still looks like body-building. ;-p

If you're really feelin' the pain from a strenuous workout the day before, it might be a good idea to go for a long walk. That's what Jonathan and I always do anyway about once a week when I've had my fill of the gym and we both want some fresh air.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: May 03, 2007 03:06PM

Ooooh thanks for the good advice, Peisi!

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: bronwynsun ()
Date: May 03, 2007 03:28PM

rest is as important as training, but sometimes people take it too fartongue sticking out smiley

our bodies are capable of much, much more than most people ever make their bodies do. if i stopped training for a while every time my body hurt, i would maybe still get to where i am now....but only after many more years. to become more flexible, muscles need to tear a little and then rebuild longer. to do this, i have to keep stretching even when it hurts, because otherwise, they heal back the same length. does that make sense?

push yourselves, you can do it! you rawk!!

Date: May 03, 2007 06:26PM

bronwynsun, do you have msn?

If so, add me pls!

crimson2fade@hotmail.com

xxpeisi

Date: May 03, 2007 11:17PM

Kwan, thanks so much for your valuable insights!

Bronwynsun, OK, I won't give up. I had some rest yesterday, because I was hurting too much, but today gym it is. Ta!

This has been a very helpful discussion. Thank you everyone.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: May 03, 2007 11:51PM

What Kwan talks about is the conventional bodybuilding wisdom of cycling body parts that you want to target. It certainly works for me (when i'm doing weights) to focus on a specfic body part. following this tune..it also often works to just do + or - 5 such exercises and really push it.

Some people that are more into the bodyweight thing certainly exercise many or all their muscles in the same workout...some do these routeines every day.

people often do 'the circuit' when starting off..or all the basic machines...if one does this mode..theres going to be alot of rest time in between thats needed...but that doesn't make it a bad approach. The other way if your legs hurt you can certainly work out your upper back..but if you didn't push things..you might have better results/recovery on your legs...although that is subjective.

the idea that the pain goes way is a bit naive...in anerobic exercise.you want to be pushing hard..although it certainly gets harder to push yourself to that point of muscle exhaustion after awhile...thats what makes it difficult to keep gaining.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 04, 2007 12:17AM

Kwan is dead on about doing different muscle groups on different days ..in fact most professional bodybuilders will tell you for instance ..the day you want to work your quads and glutes (thighs and butt) you shouldnt be doing anything else as all your body's energy is going to those muscle groups .. not even calves

i had a professional trainer who had won many competitions and his schedual for me was

quads/glutes
calves/hamstrings
back
chest/abs
shoulders
biceps/triceps
one day of rest

this way your whole body isnt killing you every single day all over whihc quite honestly just makes ya not wanna go winking smiley

one week it would be light weights for each muscle groups ...many reps ... the next week to fool the muscles it would be heavy weights ...less reps to failure (meaning you cant possibly do one more) then back to light ..many .. then heavy ..less

this way your muscles dont get lazy and used to certain exercises

there is many articles about people who do hours of cardio doing the same thing every single day .. well our muscles get used to a certain pattern ..its called muscle memory .. which results in poorer results ..

changing your cardio weekly is a good thing too .. one week just use the bike ..next week just use the treadmill ..next week .. the rower.. next week ..the buttblaster ..etc etc.

you dont need to spend 2-3 hours in a gym to get results ..as the saying goes

..dont work harder ..work smarter smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: May 04, 2007 12:20AM

oh and steams and epsom salt baths work great to reduce muscle fatigue from the acid buildup .. but you have to do them withen a few hours of the workout

ask any boxer or wrestler .. they dont do this for nothin smiling smiley

my hubby and i went skiing this winter and were both comparable in expertise

i had 4 hot baths in salt that first night ..he had none

guess who was walking fine the next day ? winking smiley

Date: May 04, 2007 12:47AM

if you are clean internally you can actually sauna before exercise...muscle head cesspools cant..now THATS intense.

most of the pros target muscle groups...but like I said not all folks find this ideal for the best gains...its certainly not more scientific then other modes as far as producing results. I think some people figure out how work out once per week!? or like I said the same stuff every day..like the combat training guys.

Date: May 04, 2007 05:01AM

Jodi- Wonderful workout advice! I just copied it to notepad on my desktop to review.

Anaken-
<if you are clean internally you can actually sauna before exercise...muscle head cesspools cant..now THATS intense.> Wow! Jonathan (husband) will be pleased to hear that. He does steam and sauna almost every day before he does his workout, and he loves it. He isn't that much into raw, but he incredibly careful about what he'll allow to go into his mouth (no sugar, very low starch, etc.) and he is into calorie restriction and eats practically like a scientist. He seems to be very clean internally indeed.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: May 05, 2007 03:41PM

this is a good site that shows you the various exercises start and finish for weight training your muscle groups .. clicking on each of the blue links brings up the pics and vids
[www.bodybuilding.com]

the site is full of muscle head cesspools winking smiley but look past that to the exercises i find them to be quite valuable information

Date: May 05, 2007 04:40PM

something i wanted to add too is like food ...no particular way of exercising is better or worse for any particular individual ..we will all respond differently

If you have stop progressing and stop seeing results,(a plateau) it is time to change things up. So many people go to the gym consistently and look the same week after week after week. Changing your routine every month or 6 weeks challenges different muscle groups. Our bodies adapt to our environment very quickly and need change, choosing exercises that you havent done gives you an opportunity to see how your body reacts, if you dont like it .. change it again hehe

Date: May 05, 2007 05:26PM

sure Kwan..it really is all about conscious eating.

for me doing a 100% cleansing diet was key, even as a appearingly healthy musuclar vegan, but certainly some folks are just amazing...

seems like you can eat like a rabbit, a monkey, or a scientist...and do quite well as long as you bring consciousness to it smiling smiley

btw I was saying the act of sauna-ing before exercise is intense...not the other phenom..hehe

Posted by: Frannie ()
Date: May 05, 2007 07:08PM

Oh my, I was quite proudly going to announce that I finally started the 5 Tibetans, 7 reps of each and I've been hiking up a hill for the past couple of days through a forest to the moors in lovely Somerset, England, where I'm on holiday at the moment. But after reading all these entries about bodybuilding and working out in the gym I feel like a wimp sad smiley
Oh well, at least I can say that all my muscles are aching smiling smiley

Francis

Date: May 05, 2007 11:42PM

Frannie,
Oh listen, I think you're way ahead of the game by doing the 5 Rites. Congratulations! I do them too and I know they are incredibly beneficial. This is about the fourth time in my life I've returned to them after a stretch of not doing them, and I always notice a big difference in how I look and feel, within less than 2 weeks. They give you a major energy boost and glow, along with strengh and grace. . .and of course weight loss, if you need it. I do a pretty laid back, simple workout system at the gym-- nothing heavy or overly strenuous-- but I'm convinced that doing the 5 Rites and some qigong goes a long way to make up for my lack of strictness and diligence.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: May 06, 2007 12:05AM

Frannie your Fran-tastic ! youre keeping active and thats all that matters smiling smiley

alot (not all) of hardcore gym goers are addicted to working out i have friends that live at the gym practiclly and beat themselves up if they dont go
not to mention steriod use is rampant despite all the information out there regarding the health hazards.

id much rather define my body over the years if i have too, ive seen women who take steroids and i gotta tell you its scaaaaaaaaary

one look at them and i'll take my jiggly-bits anyday lolsmiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 06, 2007 07:38AM

Hi Rawgosia

There's even a scientific name for this pain! It is called "Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS)" if you would like to Google search it. During the exercise, you have tiny tears happen in the muscles and they are the source of pain. But as your body repairs them you end up having stronger and more flexible muscles. It is important that you do not give up exercising but try to do the best with the pain you have. Some muscle groups heal faster and some take longer. The first 72 hours are the worst.
After having no exercise for many many years, I started yoga last week and even this gentle exercise gave me so much muscle pain that I could not sleep at nights! So I can relate I did lots of strethcing after each session and had one 60-minute deep tissue massage on my 4th day. Both helped a litte, but this is a pain you have to go through. What helped the most was the words of my yoga instructor; he said that I should enjoy this pain because it shows that my muscles are working as intended!

love, Esin

Date: May 06, 2007 10:56AM

Although I am losing weight pretty steadily (about half a kilo- a kilo per week), I am just not seeing it in my figure... Although my measurements are showing it in some places. This week, I lost an inch in my hips!! I feel like my hips look even wider though, but this might be because I didn't lose anything in my thighs and now my hips are narrower. I have no idea... All I know is that this week, I am not very satisfied with my body... Not as satisfied as I was last week. sad smiley

Front pic

Side pic

My height is 174 cms (5'8''), I weigh 62 kilos now and my measurements otherwise are as follows:
neck 30.5 cm - 12 inches
bust 86 cm - 34 inches
waist 66 cm - 26 inches
abdomen 85 cm - 33.5 inches
hips 88 cm - 35 inches !! (lost almost an inch since last week!)
upper thigh 53.0 cm - 21 inches !! Yikes...
calv (at the biggest part) 35 cm - 13.8 inches
upper arm 26 cm - 10 inches

So... as I work as a mailman everyday, I don't really know what more I can do in terms of exercise... I am thinking of meeting with a friend who gets off work at the same time as me, and going for a one hour power walk with her a few days of the week. This is actually more for her fitness than mine. She has been steadily gaining a bit of weight and I can see how sad she is getting- as I am getting smaller and she is getting bigger. I've actually talked to her and her boyfriend about raw foods, and he is a body builder- he told me that eating a lot of raw foods is the best thing you can do for your body and that we should get her into trying it!! I was so surprised that one of my husbands best friends and the biggest body builder I know is advocating the raw diet!! grinning smiley

My food last week has been pretty much the same as the week before, except on friday and saturday I did an orange mono-eating of about 1500-1800 calories of oranges or fresh pressed orange juice each day. I was going to continue today but I really wanted some pineapple. Oh well. I started doing a one day orange fast last week and this week I managed for 2 days... Maybe in a month or so, I will try for a longer period, but.. It is hard when it is the beginning of summer and all the different yummy fruits are all inexpensive and readily available!!

Anyway, please give me some positive feedback guys cos I am really not diggin my figure at all right now and my huge hips and legs make me want to wear only skirts and spend as much time as possible sitting with a pillow on my lap covering my problem areas up... sad smiley

xxpeisi

Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables