Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mono-eating?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 22, 2008 04:18PM

I see a lot of people recommending mono-eating on here and I think it's a neat idea but I'm just wondering what's the idea behind it, the purpose and what it's supposed to achieve?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mono-eating?
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 22, 2008 04:33PM

I like mono meals because they are simple and digest well.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 22, 2008 05:11PM

Sure - as EZ said. You eat one thing until you are full...wait a couple of hours...and then eat one thing again until you are full. The idea being that the digestive system releases certain enzymes to break down certain foods....and when you mix those kinds of foods....NO food digests fully. So: the idea behind mono-eating is, as mentioned, to maximize full and complete digestion (and ease of digestion). I've been eating that way for many years...with good results. Just my experiences / opinions.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: March 22, 2008 05:39PM

I have had killer IBS... google it if you don't know what it is. Ugh.

When I feel a bout coming on, if I switch to mono eating, it really helps a lot. Also, sometimes when I feel like I need to give my body a rest and fast, BUT my work schedule doesn't allow me to do that, I mono eat for a day or two and that helps.

I find mono meals are easier on my digestive system. I don't always mono eat though.

Posted by: redstar_38 ()
Date: March 22, 2008 06:14PM

If I would like to do a mono-day or two of eating....what would you recommend I eat?
Bananas? oranges?

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 22, 2008 06:15PM

Bananas or oranges will work. Oranges are nice in that they have a lot of moisture. With mono-eating bananas, you may need to drink some water.

Posted by: redstar_38 ()
Date: March 22, 2008 06:18PM

I have been an orange maniac lately...so that would probably work!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 22, 2008 06:32PM

I'm thinking about maybe doing apple mono-eating for a few days to get all the gunky mock chicken I've been eating lately out! I read some weird apple diet thing a few days ago and it seems interesting but maybe I could just do it to be the impetus to finally transition into raw. Either that or fast for a fews days before I go raw.

::shrugs::

Date: March 22, 2008 06:48PM

Any mild food, with plenty of water content is fine. Melons work quite well.

-Frankly, it is a very interesting experiment/theory for anyone to try...and one that worked well for me...to find out whether something 'works' for YOU or not. FYou can find out how vital and sustaining a food is....and whether you SHOULD be eating it....by consuming ONLY that item for 3 days. If you still love it after 3 days...then its a good food for you! Ha! ha! Anything less....is...well...less of a good food....and you should eat less of it! winking smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 22, 2008 09:20PM

Here's a link:

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

to a recent post that describes a typical day of mono meals for me. Add to the second meal grapes or strawberries as options that I frequently like to eat. The seasonal changes and available foods greatly effects my daily eating.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2008 09:28PM by EZ rider.

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: March 22, 2008 10:28PM

Some having trouble with oranges may want try organic if they haven't. They tend to be gentler or easier to handle. I can eat 2-3 times as many organic over conventional myself usually. Conventional oranges, and even kiwi, tend to be this way in general. . . but not always :O)

Posted by: Lanie ()
Date: March 22, 2008 10:42PM

Apples are my mono food of choice, and seem to make my body happiest. I love oranges but they never leave me feeling satiated like apples do. Also the acid tends to upset my stomach if I eat too much.

I did the Edgar Cayce 3-Day apple fast (which I learned about from this forum in fact) and absolutely LOVED it. I feel like it did more to detox and heal my body than 10 days on the Master Cleanse, which I've done several times over the years but don't think I will anymore. Plus, now that I've been 95% raw for going on a year, the idea of ingesting that much maple syrup, which isn't, just doesn't bode well.

[www.astrodreamadvisor.com]

~lanie

"Beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing lies a field. I'll meet you there." ~Rumi

Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: March 23, 2008 01:58AM

What about a blended food (such as bananas or strawberries) with some water - still considered a "mono food?" Thanks for that post about the Edgar Cayce apple fast Lanie, I look forward to checking it out

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 23, 2008 03:50PM

I read on a thoughtful fruitarian blog, in regards to mono, that "each fruit has its secret." Mono with anything! It will always be an adventure.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 23, 2008 05:54PM

There's not enough time in a day to Mono-Eat.....better to Layer-Eat, when one thing is eaten, followed by something else, etc. Animals in Nature mono-eat, but that doesn't mean it's best for us. Here lately I've been having Green Smoothies with many, many ingredients......WY

Date: March 23, 2008 06:16PM

VF: For my perspective, mono-eating means to eat just one fruit/veggie....of one type....from one batch...until full....and wait till it has exited the stomach before eating again. This is just my experience and practice and it works well for me. Of course, I find that each person has to identify their own 'spectrum' of healthy eating and goals.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: March 24, 2008 01:33AM

Is the best way to eat for me

I just eat what I am drawn to, this could last..12 hour..12 days or 12 weeks..

Melon, orange and apple have been some of the most amazing feeling mono eating..for longer stints..

Date: March 24, 2008 05:27AM

"Thanks for that post about the Edgar Cayce apple fast Lanie, I look forward to checking it out"

veggiefreak: You're very welcome.

"For my perspective, mono-eating means to eat just one fruit/veggie....of one type....from one batch...until full....and wait till it has exited the stomach before eating again."

davidzanemason: How do I know when it's exited my stomach? After X-amount of hours? When I'm hungry again? Am guessing it depends on what food we're talking about as well.

~lanie

"Beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing lies a field. I'll meet you there." ~Rumi

Date: March 24, 2008 12:04PM

Sure Lanie. 2 hours is a good round number. My experience: For water, it is about 15 minutes. For Fruit Juices, about 30 minutes. For light fruits (non-fibrous) about 45-60 minutes. For fatty or fibrous fruits and veggies - 1-2 hours. For heavily mixed, oily, salty, dried or processed foods, 2-4 hours. For meat, dairy, and heavily mixed/cooked meals 4-8 hours or more. Transit time for just about any foods to go completely through your system are at least 48-72 hours (in my experience)....even if your system is quite clean.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: March 24, 2008 02:02PM

I've only been raw for a day but I can already tell my body is asking for me to mono-eat right now. It's funny because part of me still doesn't really grasp how a person who mono-eats gets all of their nutrition. But, I do know how to listen to my body, so I'm giving it what it wants. I made a soup yesterday and my body didn't take to it well. Since then, I've been mono-eating and feeling much better. I love learning!

Posted by: frances ()
Date: March 24, 2008 02:47PM

Mono-eating doesn't have to mean that your diet lacks variety. Like DZM said, he may mono-eat several different things over the course of a day. That's a good strategy if you feel drawn to it in the short term or the long term.

People might do days of just one thing in the short term, and of course if all you eat are oranges you won't get any nutrients that aren't present in oranges. That makes the experience a good cleanse but a bad long term diet. This winter when the citrus came into season I did a few days of just oranges, and really enjoyed it. That wasn't enough time for my system to get seriously deficient in anything, and then I returned to my more varied raw foods.

Date: March 24, 2008 11:54PM

Thanks David. That really helps. Um, pardon my ignorance here but...

By "fibrous" fruits you mean oranges, tangerines, (cherimoyas maybe?); with "non-fibrous" being apples, grapes, melon...berries? (or, wait, kinda seedy though). Come to think of it apples are pretty high fiber too, but it's soluble...is that the distinction?

Yikes!! 20 years of plant-based eating...you'd think I'd know this stuff by now.

~lanie

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: March 25, 2008 12:23AM

Simple Living Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's funny because part of me still doesn't
> really grasp how a person who mono-eats gets all
> of their nutrition.

I find it's not completely necessary to mono-eat exclusively. So while I usually mono eat fruit during the day, I will have a salad with a large variety of different greens (they tent to digest the same) plus avocado in the evening.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: March 25, 2008 12:23PM

Lanie: You got it. Anything where you are eating the skin, or the fruit itself contains fats or fibers. Softer, less fibrous fruits (like melons) tend to digest very quickly. (sometimes SO quickly that if you eat too much...there will be cramping).

A thought: Mono-eating especially appeals to those that are regarding their diet as a 'lifetime' endeavor. For example: If you plan your exercise program over the course of a LIFETIME, then the actual amount of exercise that you might have to do on any given day might be very little. And if you apply that to diet, it means that you might not have to eat EVERYTHING.....EVERY DAY. Ha! ha!

-Of course, I disagree with the basic assumption that the body is 'broken' and only a constant infusion of substances can keep it 'running'.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: March 25, 2008 02:21PM

I used to like to have a lot of different foods and go around my plate having some of this, some of that, some of that, then start the circle over again--even when I started raw.

I find myself now tending toward one or two types of food at a time, and similar foods usually when I eat them together (plums and nectarines, blueberries and strawberries). This is just how I evolved into enjoying my food. I also eat frequently (maybe two hours between? sometimes one or three?).

Would red, green, and black grapes be considered a mono-meal? :O

My grocery bill was also a mile long--I have quite the variety in my house at all times! =)

Date: March 25, 2008 02:50PM

Phantom: Definitions vary. The simpler the better - for my experience. I personally only eat one 'batch' of food (one type of grape....from one bag/batch...you know) at a sitting. But just eating 'grapes' may be YOUR definition for mono-eating...and it's all good (because its a WAYYYY improvement over like 99.999999% over most diets (in my opinion/personal experience).

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: March 25, 2008 06:25PM

Small improvements over time... =)

Posted by: Rawtastic ()
Date: March 26, 2008 02:10AM

I enjoy mono eating. I often eat mangos for breakfast.

Bananas are a great meal-on-the-go and apples have always been my favorite travel food :-D I find I can't eat enough melon to sate my hunger.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 26, 2008 03:44AM

my only experience so far with mono eating is one day i ate nothing but longans. i had gotten them at the farmers market the day before and i could not stop eating them, and didn't want to eat anything else.

for that day and for about 3 more days i felt so blissed out! i looked up longans online and found out they are nicknamed the euphoria fruit. latin name euphoria longana.

i don't know if i could become a breatharian, but i think i could become a longarian! (but at $10/lb, that's probably not such a practical plan...)

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 26, 2008 03:47AM

I've eaten longans in Thailand. I didn't get the bliss feeling from them that I get from durian. But I did get that feeling from jackfruit once. And I get that from watermelon all the time.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables