Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Current Page: 3 of 11
Re: High-fruit low-fat research trial!!!
Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: March 20, 2007 09:39PM

I tried some peas today, they are not bad (my kids like them). But it was the bananas that really did the trick for me. I bought some myself, not liking the over-ripe ones that Luke prefers.

Day 6 (19 March):
Sipping water in the morning. Peaches, black Muscatel grapes, whole lotta watermelon, peas (thawed frozen type), bananas, 4 wraps with alfalfa and onion sprouts and tahini.

Fat intake: overt fats - 2 tablespoons of tahini.

The last couple of days my appetite has been a bit lower than usual, but today I ate a lot! And I feel really good!

There are at least two types of cravings I can think off that vanish on this diet. Cooked carbohydrates cravings (for pasta, rice, potatoes etc.) and added-salt cravings (often hidden under what appears to be cooked foods cravings).

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: FruityJules ()
Date: March 20, 2007 09:48PM

That is interesting, Gosia, about the cravings. . .

For me, the first and main craving that fell away was for sugar. I used to be a major sugaraholic!

But as soon as I started getting a steady supply of fruit sugar, no fakey sugary dessert or candy was appealing at all. I could not believe it! I'm sure that what my body wanted all along was the fruit.

Very cool!

smiling smiley

Love,
Julie

Posted by: oregonisaac ()
Date: March 20, 2007 10:16PM

Wow, this post is making me realize I eat very low quantities of fruits compared to a lot of you. 23 tangerines? In a sitting?

I seem to eat closer to 3 of each thing and am full...need to work on that I guess.

Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: March 21, 2007 01:08AM

20 March

1 grapefruit
3 mangos
BIG salad (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, spinach)
1/4 jumbo papaya
7 soaked prunes

fat for the whole day : 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil (with the salad)

Posted by: anaken ()
Date: March 21, 2007 01:31AM

12:00 12 biggie bananas

5:00 10 oranges

6:00 romaine and spinach, 4 tomatoes, 1 cucumber, some macs
7:30 about 10 dates :/

for some reason ever since i heard nuts combine OK with citrus I feel compeled to eat them, gotta quit that.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: March 21, 2007 02:31AM

Arugula wrote:

For 1800 kcal this would be about 2.7 kg of grapes.

%rda met
zinc: 10%
selenium: 5%
magnesium: 32%
phosphorus: 39%
iron: 43%
calcium: 38%
omega3: 40%
omega6: 15%
folate: 27%
b3:51%
b5:15%
b12: 0%
protein: 39% (I am guessing you are around 54 kg and using 0.8g/kg as your need)

I don't see how you can keep this up indefinitely. It's really low in minerals, EFAs, B vitamins, and protein. Even Bryan does much better than this (for most of the menus he's posted).

I didn't hear anything about indefinite grape consumption. One misconception Doug Graham talks about is that people think that they need variety at every meal to get all the nutrients they need, or at least in every day, or at the very least within each week! What he talks about is getting variety over each year. This is gradually feeling more natural to me, the more I play with mono-eating.

Love,
Uma

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 21, 2007 02:42AM

Uma, this is not a misconception. When people post their 80-10-10 menus, they never have days of high zinc, high calcium, high selenium, high B12, etc.

The mineral days tend to be consistenly low for particular minerals. And the EFA amounts are very low, much lower than recommended.

I would like to see an 1800 kcal menu that is very high in mineral from 80-10-10 and mostly or all fruit.

I have posted a few myself but people don't eat like that (mostly zucchini, cucumber, tomato rather than sweet fruit).

Graham himself does not have this problem because he eats so much, probably twice as much as 1800 kcal but I don't think most people here come close to his kcal level.

I disagree with his statement on variety. I have gone through the edible plant taxonomy, it was a pet project several years ago.

When people they think they are getting variety, are still getting most of their kcals from the same basic families, more often genera (the next level down), and even species day in and day out. In a way it's an improvement over the grain-based SAD because it isn't grains, but it's not so different genetically.

Lets not forget that bananas are close relatives of cereal grains.

I will give a few examples:

cauliflower/broccoli/broccoli raab/brussels sprouts/cabbage/kale/kohlrabi

are all derived from the wild mustard. They are all basically the same plant. Different aspects were emphasized to develop the modern cultivars. Intuitively you might see that broccoli raab most resembles the wild mustard type (and also happens to be the most nutritious one). But they are all pretty much the same plant:

emphasize the terminal bud: get cabbage
emphasize the flower clusters: get cauliflower
emphasize the flowers and stems at the same time: get broccoli
emphasize the lateral buds: get brussels sprouts
emphasize the leaves: get kale
emphasize the stem: get kohlrabi

Stepping up a level or two you can learn that

these are all very close relatives:
apple, pear, plum, cherry, capulin, sloe, quince, medlar, loquat, wood apple, crabapple, rowanberries, sorb, rosehip, apricot, peach, nectarine, strawberry, raspberry, cloudberry, Arctic bramble, blackberry, dewberry, boysenberry, loganberry, hawthorn berry, thornberry, saskatoon berry, chokecherry, blackcap, thimbleberry

these are all very close relatives:
carrot, parsnips, celery, celeriac, cumin, cilantro, chervil, parsley, fennel, fitweed, apio, aniseed, caraway seed, coriander

these are all very close relatives
sunflower seeds, dandelions, sea aster, artichokes, cardoon, scorzonera, salsify, lettuces, endive, radicchio, chicory, escarole, edible burdock, chrysanthemum greens

etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2007 02:56AM by arugula.

Date: March 21, 2007 03:04AM

why? I forgot that.

how much selenium did you get from age 0-20? did you get it every day? in addition to all the other damaging crap? 'in a way' its an improvement because its a cleansing diet which 'in a way' is better then diets that leech minerals, you don't need to take in every mineral every day is the point. its pretty straightfoward.

and you know 'the pantry' doesn't record b-12, why keep bringing it up

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 21, 2007 03:37AM

I got enough selenium. I didn't know it at the time, but in retrospect, yes, my diet was adequate from 0-20. I ate a lot of "crap" for only a brief time in life,
at 16 when I first left my parent's house.

I was not on a mineral-leeching diet because even as an omnivore, my diet was still mostly plants and high in the leafy vegetables.

But whether you are leeching minerals through a poor diet or not getting enough minerals from a poor diet, the result maybe the same. Balance depends not only on what comes out and interactions in the body but also what goes in. Although the body tries to keep levels tightly regulated, chronically low levels are not going to be good in the long run and can lead to strand breaks in DNA.

I know that the pantry does not record B12, this is probably because USDA does not report the nanograms which are almost assuredly present. But nanograms are not enough, we need micrograms, and it would be prudent to make sure that we get enough.

Date: March 21, 2007 04:03AM

Uma, I fully agree. I see monoeating as the most natural way of eating. I observe my kids eat this way spontaneously. And, I did eat mostly one type of fruit for days before, when I even wasn't a raw foodist. For example, I had my go at rockmelons, grapes, totally mono-way, when I was living in Greece. Felt great! In Poland, I had strawberries and cherries days. Mmm.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: March 21, 2007 04:30AM

march 20

2 very large honeydew melons

Date: March 21, 2007 06:40PM

"But whether you are leeching minerals through a poor diet or not getting enough minerals from a poor diet [opinion], the result maybe the same."

no, it isn't

and an omnivorous diet WOULDN'T qualify. IMO you totaly miss the point with all of this, you can eat leafy vegetables till you are blue in the face, it's all about cleansing. Period. you have to leave the stuff out before it that to happen.

its absurd to think any species needs a variety of plant food per day in order to have an adequate store of minerals. For where we are at, sure variety is great. but there are people who have been at this awhile, some get checkups. they don't have deficiencies. they don't have a b-12 deficiency. At the same token, some people probably have loads of deficiencies based on their lifestyle and stage of healing.

yet no one here is ignorant about the lack of selenium in their grape meal, so basically you really alienate yourself from a deeper understanding when you harp on people's intake on every thread.

I don't suggest not taking a b-12 supplement. I don't suggest taking a b-12 supplement. and I don't sugest Not NOT taking a b-12 supplement

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: March 21, 2007 07:19PM

Rawgosia, dark grapes inhibit iron absorption (by 70% if I recall correctly), just incase that is a concern for you. I can dig up a link for you, however, there are many you can easily found if you research it. Good luck to you. Just wanted to let you know, just incase you did not know.

Posted by: Connie Boo ()
Date: March 21, 2007 08:38PM

head romaine, lime, and pepper smoothie

12 small oranges
2 large pink grapefruit
2 large red delicious apples

2 heads leaf lettuce 5 tomatos, 4 celery, and bell pepper

Date: March 21, 2007 09:10PM

Rawrr, thanks smiling smiley, but I would not worry about this. I am sure that eating dark grapes does good to me, because I can sense it. When my body has had enough, I will know that too. All it takes is listening.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: March 21, 2007 09:23PM

I love dark grapes, too! I just eat them in moderation. We have many varieties here in Cali. The light green grapes don't inhibit iron, so I eat more of them and I look forward to grape season this year. And yes, I agree, our bodies tell us when & how much. smiling smiley

Date: March 21, 2007 09:42PM

I see your point, Rawrr. I wouldn't want to change it. smiling smiley Myself, I do not believe in moderation. I believe in my body's guidance. And my body tells me it wants to get as much of the black grapes as it can. So I am going to stuff myself with them ha ha! Whatever is in them, it's magic.

Day 6 (19 March):
Watermelon, bananas, peaches, sprout wraps (like yesterday), peas, black Muscatel grapes.

Interestingly, when I got home from work, I had quite a meal of wraps and greens. But, it did not do the trick for my tummy. I felt hungry for sweet fruit. Black Muscatel grapes did the trick.

================================

PS: In case anyone wondered, I am not going to waste my time on arguments with someone who thinks that mono-eating leads to lack in nutrients, but eating cooked soya yoghurt for breakfast, and cooked lentils and grains for dinner, supplies them. Ha ha ha! I got better things to do.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 21, 2007 10:52PM

rawgosia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am going to do a trial of the high-fruit low-fat
> raw diet and record my food intake every day (if I
> can), aiming at doing it for 30 days. From past
> experiences, 30 days seems like a long enough time
> interval for observations.
>

30 days may not be long enough for good observations. The body will feed from the reserve of nutrients you are not getting from this restrictive diet.
Nutrutional deficiencies manifest themselves after years, not days in strict fruitarians.

Date: March 22, 2007 12:03AM

No, I am not going to argue with anyone who thinks that high-fruit low-fat diet is restricitve. I eat all the foods that I adore. Ha ha ha!

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: March 22, 2007 12:45AM

2:00
1 head kale, 1 bunch dandelion, 2 green apples, 1 cucumber juiced

4:00
14 med/large bananas, 1 half bunch x-long celery

8:00
10 med bananas, 1 half bunch x-long celery, leaves of 2 bunch spinach, 2 avocados
(i'll let you know if this one sits well :/ avos were too ripe to let go)

Posted by: macfly ()
Date: March 22, 2007 01:35AM

March 20:
1pm: 8 bananas
6pm: 10 bananas + 1 head romaine lettuce

this week i've been eating conventional bananas that i got from the Food Not Bombs donation. they taste pretty flat and i've noticed that the only way i can eat "enough" to satisfy my caloric needs is if i blend them. but, when money's tight you do what you've gotta do...

Date: March 22, 2007 01:42AM

With bananas I've been going back and forth between organic and commercials. the organic ones will sit and ripen while I enjoy the bargin bin commercial ones. even if I let the organic ones ripen to the point of having a few 'sweet spots' they still always feel a little denser to me. I kinda like the taste of the small commercial ones. Today I ate organic and sometimes each one tastes a little different some better than others.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 22, 2007 02:07AM

March 20

noon: 6 bananas, 3 clementine tangerines
7pm: 1 honeydew melon, 6 bananas, 1 romaine heart, 1 pint cherry tomatoes, 0.4 lb dried mangos

Posted by: uma ()
Date: March 22, 2007 03:28AM

Gosia, you are eating too many grapes. You should see a doctor. smiling smiley

I love reading your experience-informed posts. I am working towards being in that place where I can really sense what my body needs. I'm having fun along the way!

Love,
Uma

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: March 22, 2007 03:48AM

2 big orange mexican papayas

leafy green ice cream:
blended and frozen romaine, spinach, celery, 2 bananas, 1 fuji apple

Posted by: Connie Boo ()
Date: March 22, 2007 02:53PM

March 21

bunch of purple grapes, head of green leaf lettuce smoothie

3 bananas
20 barhi dates
2 large red delicious apples
bunch of green leaf lettuce, 2 tomatos, bell pepper, 2 celery sticks, 8 asparagus

1/2 avacado

I remember reading Shelton saying hygienist put their anemic people on grape diets to increase their iron, and that we reuse the iron in our bodies. I think he also said mothers milk is lacking in iron but the child has enough to get it through the breast feeding time.

I ate my avacado today. I don't like eating overt fats after what I have been reading and after listening to Tim Traders interview. I can just envision the fat surrounding my cells and putting an impenetrable barrier around them so nutrients can't be absorbed.

Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: March 22, 2007 05:21PM

21 March

breakfast : 2 mangos, 1 mandarine

noon : salad (lettuce, cucumber, red bell pepper), pasta ( zucchini and tomato), green smoothie ( 2 mangos and 1 cup spinach)

then... something ( smoothie?) didn't work well, upseting my digestion

I had no choice to stop eating as I was no more hungry for the whole day.

I decided to let go of the 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil, starting today 22 March

Cynthia

Posted by: sgc ()
Date: March 22, 2007 09:09PM

MArch 21:
3 kiwis
2 mangos
6 bananas
2 pears

MArch 22
1 kiwi
1 pear
3 mangos
4 bananas
6 mazafati fresh dates
2 pears

I've been working with a friend on his friend for 2 days, digging holes, making concrete, carrying stones... And I feel so god. Not sore, full of energy, and happy!

Raw Fruit Festival
[www.raw-fruit-festival.net]
Health, Fitness and Fasting Retreats in Spain
[www.fit-in-nature.net]

Date: March 22, 2007 10:46PM

Uma, that's funny!
How do you pronounce your name? (oo-mah?)

Connie Boo, interesting about the grapes. I do feel that my body really wants them. I experience something similar with various fruit as they appear in season, I suddenly want them more than the other fruit that I had been eating. I find that my desire for various types of fruit changes periodically.

Oops, I noticed that I had the wrong dates in the posts above. I seemed to have got stuck on the date 19th March he he.

Day 8 (22 March):
Watermelon, strawberries, black Muscatel grapes, letture wraps with sprouts, celery (yum-mo!) and tahini, watermelon and bananas.

Fat intake: overt fats - 2 tablespoons of tahini.

Observations: The first of week of the trial ended. I've experienced a mild cleansing for a couple of days (sinking bms). My sleep was disturbed on one night, due to consumption of one strawberry, dipped in raw-chocolate (my first and last trial of this product). I feel a gentle change in my body. I feel good. I wonder whether its been the fear of feeling too good, too happy, that kept me away from spreading my wings.

On the way home, I felt I really wanted some greens. Lettuce wraps were really nice. Funny thing, again, although I did feel like having them, they did not fully satisfied my desire for food. Some time later, having watermelon gave me what I wanted. Bananas some time after that made me feel completely nutritionally blissful. Ahhh.

Julia and I were talking about our love to watermelon, our favourite fruit (at that moment ha ha). I asked here "Why do you love watermelon?". Julia: "Because it 's sweet and juicy." Of course!

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2007 10:50PM by rawgosia.

Date: March 22, 2007 11:33PM

1:00: 10 med yellowy mangos
5:00: [Spinach, Dandelion, Romaine] (probably .75 lb), 1 head kale, 2 green apples juiced

5:45: 4 large tomatoes
6:30: 2 small gala apples, 8 bananas, 4 ribs celery

Current Page: 3 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables