Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Current Page: 8 of 11
Re: High-fruit low-fat research trial!!!
Posted by: anaken ()
Date: April 03, 2007 03:07AM

my life is kind of a pain in the ass right now

probably won't be posting much

12: green juice from health food store
2:30: 7 bananas
6:00: 1 pineapple (which did a number on my taste buds), 1 tomato, 1/2 package celery, 2 romaine hearts, 1 avacado

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: uma ()
Date: April 03, 2007 03:42AM

I found out that the frozen corn we get here is actually cooked first before it is frozen. I have no idea whether the same is done with peas before they are frozen?

Love,
Uma

Posted by: Sparkler ()
Date: April 03, 2007 03:49AM

Maybe it's because peas (like corn) are starchy by the time they get to you? Whenever I ate starchy foods, raw or cooked (corn in particular) it seemed to leave me stinky. I assumed it was because starch is hard to digest and it was probably putrefying before it reached the end of the process in my body. What do you think? I also agree with what Uma said - the peas may be cooked or blanched before frozen. Which I guess would make them even MORE starchy, right?

I had pretty bad cooked cravings today for the first time in awhile. But I overcame them, somehow.

Anaken, I hope things go better for you soon!

Food:
Breakfast: None
Lunch: 1/3 watermelon
Snack: a few slices of tomato and a few leaves of romaine
Dinner: Banana-celery smoothie - 9 bananas, 3 long celery stalks.

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: GotVeggie ()
Date: April 03, 2007 04:31AM

i wonder how the Hemp and Aminos salad dressing is?

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: April 03, 2007 05:40AM

Oh my. Thanks for your helpful suggestions, Uma and Sarah.

I too have had some thoughts about cooked foods, not cravings though, more like contemplations of how I would feel on them. I like to investigate the options and stay open to alternatives. So far, my conclusions have been in favour of my current choices.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: Mocha ()
Date: April 03, 2007 11:57AM

GotVeggie
>>i wonder how the Hemp and Aminos salad dressing is?

I love it!! But I dont really know what is in Braggs Aminos(if its raw or not) so I kinda want to steer clear of braggs.

> Myspace: [www.myspace.com]
> Blog: [chefdemocha.blogspot.com]

Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: April 03, 2007 04:44PM

April 02
morning : 3 mangos, bunch of muscatel grapes ( not a good kind either for me!!)
noon : avocado, 2 tomatoes
diner : 3 mangoes, about 1/3 soaked sunflower seeds, salad ( 1 tomato, 1 cucumber)
feeling tired

April 03
still feeling tired, so I decide to stay at home and sleep late
10:30 1/2 teaspoon bee pollen - 2 cups raw milk...

Feeling nauseated because of the milk - just don't know why I took it, I wasn't even craving it... Maybe I thought it would help with my fatigue...
A mistake.
I don't plan to eat much today so to get rid quickly of that strange effect in my body

Overall for previous days : I feel good although not great. I must be very careful to go to sleep early otherwise I'm tired. I need lots of sleep these days. My digestion is slow. My liver is less painful but still kind of very delicate. My mouth is either very dry or very smooth inside. Tongue coated in the morning. I don't crave cooked food at all.
Probably I have been over 10% fat, I will try to reduce to see if it makes a difference.
I'm feeling happy that I can do it - the raw diet - although with some errors - ? - here and there.
I lost about 3-4 kg

I learned a few interestings facts about myself : I have a hard time digesting bananas ( almost the main staple here on the 80-10-10 !! ) so I had to let go of eating them. Also, pears and grapes give me real stomach pains ( even monoeating of them), lettuce is not welcome, and so on.... The main point for me right now is to find something I can digest properly.So it is a lot more demanding, unfortunetely, than just eat 80-10-10 diet.

blessings and love to you all,

Cynthia

Posted by: Connie Boo ()
Date: April 03, 2007 05:28PM

April 2

2 mangos, 2 celery, head romaine lettuce
bunch of grapes
12 dates
5 mangos
4 tomatos, head romaine lettuce, 6 asparagus, cilantro, arugula, 4 celery

Posted by: Harmony ()
Date: April 03, 2007 09:37PM

April 2

1 large watermelon smiling smiley

I'm doing mono-watermelon for a bit. I'm not sure how long yet. I'll see how I feel with each day.

I love following this thread!

harmonyraw.blogspot.com

Date: April 03, 2007 11:36PM

COrrection to day 19 food intake:

Day 19 (2 April):
black Muscatel grapes, watermelon, baby spinach (yummo!), dates.

Day 20 (3 April):
banana smoothie, yellow grapes, mixed greens, banana smoothie.

Fat intake: no overt fats.

The hardest part of this trial is recording the food intake! As far as the photos, I decided that I will download them (if I can make it work) once I get some "after" photos as well.

Observations: I recorded my weight today, it is 48 kg, which is 1 kg less than my last record. This does not mean much though, as my weight fluctuates about that much anyway. Whether I lost any fat it is hard to tell at this stage. I took the photos of my fat deposits (ha ha), so in a while I will do it again and then I will be able to tell. I had a go at mixed greens today, without any dressing (like I did with spinach), but they did not taste so well. I could clearly tell that some of them were too bitter and I did not like them. Lesson learned. Dressing can disguise the true taste of foods. I prefer the spinach without the dressing anyway. Earlier on, I observed that eating spinach without the dressing (fat) results in me eating more of it than I would do usually. On the same note, I think that eating less fat in general, results in me eating more of the good stuff that gives my body nutrients it needs. As far as the thawed frozen-peas, Uma's and Sarah's suggestion makes sense. Starchy (and possibly not so raw) peas that I ate, digested slowly, and they were the culprit behind my stinky breath yesterday. I prefer spinach than peas anyway, so have no problem with letting peas go. I will leave peas in peace!

It is very interesting for me to read the observations of other people doing this trial at this thread. Very interesting indead! THANK YOU all for sharing.

As far as the excess fat loss, I've been wondering whether it is the case of "slow and steady wins the race" here?

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: April 04, 2007 01:05AM

*7:30:Morning Glory:Kale, Watermellon, & Celery Juice(yeilds 1&1/2 Cups)
>Into the Blender with some Ice, Bee Pollen, and CalMag ... And about 1Tbsp of both goji berries & Cacao!

*1:00: 4 Fuji Apples

*5:00: 3 Red Grapefruit & 1 Mango

*8:30: Salad(Spinach and Romaine Lettece with Cucumber, Red Bell Pepper, and Brocolli)... 1&1/2TBSP Braggs Aminos as dressing.

Body:5'11'' 122lbs
Exercize:Just an active day, but no weight lifting or Yoga.
I noticed a couple things today...
>I can't get eat enough Apples smiling smiley
>Mangos are absolutley wonderful and they only have 20 more Calories than an Apple! I'll be eating more of these tommorow, Yum.
Im excited to see how my body is going to start taking to the Mango. There coming into season, which is perfect for me since I try to stick to only seasonal fruit. I enjoy there tatse and feel that they offer a more various complex of Vitamin and Minerals than just Apples and Grapefruit. Also I know Bannas are a staple on just about everyone menu here, but I just cant take a liking to them. I feel that I have to eat about 8 or 9 just to get filled up( which is too much to take in at one meal for me, When im not training). I've heard though that red bannas are more nutrient dense and have less calories, so Im going to try some of them... Ill let you know how it works outsmiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 04, 2007 01:33AM

I wanna play! I've been doing raw (off and on) the wrong way since 2004 and just recently discovered 80/10/10RV. I've been doing it a week so far and have already noticed a difference.

I'm pretty thin right now but have been steady at the gym and am finally aware of my daily caloric needs.

Since I'm new I've only been playing with a few different foods. I noticed the earlier comment about frozen corn and cringed! It's one of my favorite foods and I'll have to nix it if it's pre-cooked.

---

6:30 AM

Six banana smoothie
3/4 C dates

12:00 PM

3 C mango
2 C corn
1/2 C dates

5:00 PM

Smoothie of six bananas, 2 C blueberries
3 C baby romaine

---

Any recommendations for other inexpensive, high calorie-per-bite fruits and veggies? One of my biggest fears is that I'll get burned-out on rotating the above fare. :-)

Date: April 04, 2007 01:35AM

all frozen produce is blanched I believe, except maybe berries

how far are we through this trial? might as well keep postin'

12:00: 13 bananas
3:00: 7 bananas
6:00: 8 oranges, 2 large tomatoes, 1 red bell peper, most of a bitter tasting head of green lettuce, 1 small avacado.

I don't know about that stat of mangos having 20 more calories than an apple. I think its probably at least twice as much depending on size. not sure about 'more nutrients' either but mango fiber deffinetly kicks digestive ass. I kind of lost interst in them though when I found out that they were 'dipped' before shipment. not that i'm ultra concerned that my fresh fruit is truly 'raw' or not. but after I notced they had no oder they lost some appeal to me, especially concidering the price.

Date: April 04, 2007 02:03AM

Anaken
A Large Apple, 212g,contains the following:
>110 Cal, 2% Vitamin A, 16% Vitamin C, 2% Vitamin E
An average Mango, 207g,contains the following:
>135 Cal, 32% Vitamin A, 96% Vitamin C, 12% vitamin E
- Source ... nutritiondata.com

Now im not quite sure if a Fuji would be considered large, but I still believe a Mango packs a hell of a nutrional punch!
- Also the Mangos i get are supposably "Organic", so Im not sure if there dipped or not. I'll make sure to ask next time before I buy them.

Date: April 04, 2007 02:05AM

Funny thing with the bananas. I am not keen on them either. I prefer juicy stuff. But I had some banana smoothie yesterday, twice, and it did fill some void in me.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: April 04, 2007 05:23AM

I tried the 80/10/10 diet today and I felt great. 80% of the calories come from carbs, 10% come from protein, and 10% come from fat. To get this much carbs I ate fruit for breakfast, fruit for lunch, and fruit before supper and then only ate a salad. I went on www.nutritiondata.com and added all the food I ate in my pantry and calculated the % daily intake of vitamins, minerals, fats, protein ect. This quantity of food came to 1800 calories, slightly more with bee pollen and E3live but that's not on the list. 5 bananas, 1/4 blackberries, 1/4 cup rasberries, 1/4 cup blueberries, 2 cups strawberries, 1 cup cranberries, 1 cup baby carrots, 1 cup brocolli, 5 stalks of celery, 3oz. of wheatgrass, 1 cup buckwheat, 2 brazil nuts and I had 1/4 cup of bee pollen and 1Tbsp E3live. Does this sound like alot of food? It's nontraditional eating but I felt full all day, ate a bunch of food, had a ton of energy and I am still losing weight. I am going to try it again tommarrow with slight variations but still sticking with the 80/10/10 philosophy.

Posted by: macfly ()
Date: April 04, 2007 05:25AM

April 3:

1pm: 8 bananas
4pm: 1/2 pound green grapes
8pm: 1 pineapple, 2 navel oranges, 1 head romaine lettuce

I'm feeling so relieved. Today I scored 2 cases of organic bananas for $35. Usually I pay around $30 per case, but I got a discount on a bunch of ripe 'naners! Now I have enough food to last me a couple of weeks, at least!

Date: April 04, 2007 06:23AM

Date: April 04, 2007 01:31PM

Welcome, Harmony! winking smiley

I'm jealous of all of you who're scoring cheap organic bananas by the case. I'll keep trying though.

Josh, banana and watermelon are your best bet right now for dense calories that are not too $$. You could try smoothies if you got sick of eating the fruit plain...switch back and forth. I've been eating mostly bananas for almost 3 months now and I only get sick of them occasionally. LOL Try to let yourself eat whatever you love though...even if it is more costly at first, it will help you stick to it. In my case, it was tomatoes tomatoes tomatoes, millions of them.

Gosia, I dunno about the fat loss...I notice that people who have lots of weight in general to lose, seem to shed lbs like crazy on 811. I, on the other hand, estimated that I had almost 20 lbs to lose - from 110 to around 90-ish. It took me 8 weeks to lose 10 lbs, at about 1-2 lbs a week, which is pretty slow...I was very impatient but I'm glad I stuck to it.

My DH, on the other hand, has dropped over 20 lbs in less than 30 days, but he had about 40-50 lbs to lose. I think exercise has a big part to play in fat loss too...I've been trying to get back on the exercise bandwagon. I feel SO much better when I eat tons of sweet fruit AND force myself to exercise. smiling smiley As for fat pockets, I had them BIG time on my hips and in the front of my tummy. My tummy fat is still there but my hips have sloooowly slimmed down a lot, my hubby tried to pinch my hip fat (he was just playing) yesterday and he couldn't get a hold of enough to pinch anything. I was SO PROUD. Hahaha. Also, I lost an entire chest size, which I assume was mostly fat, if not all.

Banana smoothies fill voids in me as well!

Food:
Lunch: 9 bananas
Snack: 3 medium tomatoes, 1 cucumber, 1 ataulfo mango (YUM)
Dinner: Smoothie - 8 bananas, 3 long celery stalks.

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Posted by: fruitgirl ()
Date: April 04, 2007 04:05PM

gosia,

im loving our shining the light on this lowfat journey
feeling its a lifestyle rather than a visit

eating lowfat feels so clean
and for me, shedding bodyfat feels pivotal in health

would bodyfat/skinfold calipers feel too vain?
im thinking they may give a clear gauge of progress
i actually have a little gadget and will
take a few pinch measurements weekly for awhile

fruitgirl

ps. past few days i've eaten the same thing:
green smoothie of romaine, celery, bananas
fuji apples, melon and 2-12 dates

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2007 04:19PM by fruitgirl.

Date: April 05, 2007 12:29AM

12:00: green juice from a healthfood store : spinach, kale, cucmber,celery
2:00 : 10 bananas, .5 lbs dates, 1/2 package celery
6:45 : 12 honey tangerines
7:30 : 1/2 bunch spinach, 2 huge tomatoes, a few handfuls of mesculin greens from a farmers market

I used to love all the spicy salad stuff: frizzee, arugula and asian letttuces (mizuna, tat soi) etc... i'm finding them less palatable and some even spicier things in the mix I couldn't even eat.

Date: April 05, 2007 01:21AM

today April 4

1\2 pineapple
1 avocado, 10 cherry tomatoes

4 tbspoons sunflower seeds
1\2 c. raisins
2 big mangoes

well, not so easy to remove seeds (and reduce the fat intake) when my digestive system reacts to almost all kind of fruits - I need advices if I am to continue this diet...
Is it detox when one cannot eat fruits anymore because of intolerance ? what to do then ?
sorry for the grammatical mistakes everywhere in my posts - I'm kind of tired of everything now...

Cynthia

Date: April 05, 2007 01:46AM

4/4/07

---

7:30 AM

Smoothie of six bananas/2 C frozen blueberries

1:00 PM

4 C fresh-squeezed OJ
3 C mango
1/4 C dates

6:00 PM

Six banana smoothie
1 C frozen blueberries
1/4 C dates

---

I've decided not to consume any more store-bought frozen produce. I visited several university "extension service" websites and most indicate that the majority of frozen foods are blanched before freezing - for various amounts of time depending on type of food.

I'm sure I'll be able to hit some roadside markets/stands for corn in the upcoming months. It will be worth the work, as most things are.

Sparkler: thanks for the advice. I have no problem consuming massive amounts of bananas - one of my favorite fruits. Watermelons are equally loved. :-)

Posted by: macfly ()
Date: April 05, 2007 02:32AM

April 4

11:45am: 1/2 watermelon
2pm: 7 bananas
4:30pm: 6 bananas
8pm: 1/2 head butter lettuce, 1 tomato, about 8 crimini mushrooms, 3 small carrots

Date: April 05, 2007 03:40AM

Lunch: A huge salad at a salad buffet - many many tomatoes (maybe 3 heaping platefuls? You should have seen the looks I got...I shared 5 platefuls between my daughter and I), slices of oranges, some lettuce, chopped up celery, lots of cucumber slices and a very small helping of the following items: cauliflower, jicama, mushrooms, zucchini.

2 hours later, 10 bananas.

Dinner: Wasn't hungry for dinner, I ate the 10 bananas around 3pm. So I had 1/2 a cucumber and 1 ataulfo mango and felt too stuffed to eat much more.

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Date: April 05, 2007 03:51AM

Hey Cynthia,

I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles. The only three things I could really think of were:

1) To make sure that you're eating your fruit ripe enough.

2) Have you tried melons? Like watermelon? Seems like watermelon would be pretty gentle on your digestion. And fairly cheap too. Harmony who posted a few posts up is monomealing on watermelon right now, I think her blog is in her post.

3) Have you thought of getting a consult with Dr. D? That greatly helped my husband. If I were feeling that bad, that's what I would do, pronto.

I hope you feel better soon!

Sarah
[goingbananasblog.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2007 03:52AM by Sparkler.

Posted by: meinleben ()
Date: April 05, 2007 12:15PM

8 am 4 bananas
12 noon 5 bananas
5pm 15 dates 1 cucumber

Posted by: noelle ()
Date: April 05, 2007 01:27PM

Mocha, you're a beautifully handsome boy.

And I've heard AWFUL things about Braggs, online. Or, at least I've heard awful things about how it's being manufactured now.

Not sure how true it all is, but some of the letters I read came from her legal counsiler. Read that after some court hearings, she was forced to take off the "No MSG" label because MSG is created during the peparation.

Personally, I'm sketched out by the entire "secret recipe."

Steer clear!

Posted by: Harmony ()
Date: April 05, 2007 02:34PM

Hi Cynthia,

I'm on day 4 of mono-watermelon and my digestive system feels much better already. Only the first day I felt like eating an entire large watermelon, but the days after, I was only hungry for 1/2. It's super gentle on the digestive system and enables the body to do extra cleansing work because of that. I don't think watermelon is magic, though...I'm sure any juicy fruit would work nicely. What do you think? Would you tolerate watermelon?

April 3- 1:30pm: 1/2 watermelon
April 4- 12:30pm: 1/2 watermelon

smiling smiley

harmonyraw.blogspot.com

Date: April 05, 2007 03:44PM

hello Harmony and Sparkler,
Thank you for your caring and advices. I appreciate very much. The last few days, I came to think that I was probably a good prospect for breatharian life (!!! ) as I feel much better without food !

about fruits : in the past, I wouldn't care if fruits were not perfectly ripe. Now it's different. I just cannot eat any that is either unripe or not suitable to me. Until now, I have avoided all melons except canari and charentais - I will give a trial to watermelon though - they are so good. I will post progress !!

Emotional detox often goes hand in hand with physical detox - Like a cloud that will vanish soon under the sun - because change is the nature of life and bliss is the nature of the soul. I know the better is to come.

Weight : 105 ( I started at 113 )
My goal is 120

love

Cynthia

Current Page: 8 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables