Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Current Page: 3 of 13
Re: Another 7 Weeks Raw
Posted by: Ashcat ()
Date: August 15, 2007 04:22AM

5Also, I forgot broccoli sprouts! Why are these so good? I HATE alfalfa sprouts with a passion, but I can eat these plain. In mass.

And to respond to enchantress...I've noticed the same thing. I mean, I didn't eat that much today (although I'm a night eater, so stay tuned), but generally speaking I look at others' posts and think "...what?? I ate about FIVE TIMES that. All fruits and veggies and juice, for the most part, but still...

Honestly, I'm not judging, but some of the menus I've come across on the board here at large remind me of the girls with eating disorders at my high school. Like, three pieces of fruit, a small salad, and a couple of nuts? ALL DAY? I know we're supposed to be listening to our bodies, but if your body only wants 500-700 calories a day, I feel like something might be wrong. Do most of you up your intake after reaching goal weight, if you ARE in fact on a "diet"?

Last time I went raw, I lost too much weight (about 25 lbs), so while dropping a few would be welcome now (after a year reg. vegan), I'm going to try to keep that effect in check.

What does everyone else think? I'm curious.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: applebaby ()
Date: August 15, 2007 05:01AM

sorry that i have not been posting what i ate until now ! i'll start keeping track ... right now. yayyyy here we go!

breakfast: jucie of 4 oranges, 3 bananas, water, spirulina, maca, goji berries, frozen strawberries. then separately a bunch of grapes and a nectarine! i still eat a lot because i havn't been raw for that long.

lunch: vegetable soup (carrot, onion, cucumber, red pepper, garlic, lemon juce, fresh herbs), a radish salad with creamy pine nut alfredo dressing, nectarine, apple, banana!

dinner & afterwards: marinated mushrooms & asparagus in namashoyu/olive oil/garlic/cumin/cardamom sauce. later i made bruschetta and ate it on some green pepper peices. some dates, some cashews. and i think i might be about to snack again !! ...

i really really really wanted to eat toast today. but i didn't!

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 15, 2007 08:27AM

Khale, is your back any better? Hope things went well with the chiropractor. This is already a great thread!

Islandgirl, Yay for integrity!
PMS: rrrrrrrrrrrg

Answering Enchantress: For me, I'm more just trying to maintain my weight than lose weight.

I try to go along pretty steady eating about the same amount of food everyday. But sometimes (like yesterday) I have days when I'm not very hungry. Other times I have days when I'm VERY hungry. Today was kind of a normal middle-of-the-road day, and I like these kinds of days the best.

And answering Ashcat: I didn't add up my calories, but it probably came close to 2000 because of all the bananas and lychee. And just the sesame seeds were over 400 calories.

Today I had

AM: several small, fat apple bananas, lots of lychee, 1/3 cup soaked peanuts (measured unsoaked)

PM: a couple tomatoes, a hybiscus flower, more bananas, more lychee, and 1/2 cup unhulled soaked sesame seeds (measured unsoaked).

Not much variety today, but I'll be going shopping tomorrow.

Exercise: 1 hour yoga, 50 minutes weights/aerobics

The hurricane thankfully seems to have passed mostly over the ocean, south of us. And the earthquake didn't cause any damage.

In addition to the hurricane and earthquake, there was a UFO sighting on Oahu yesterday. It made the Hawaii news, pictures and everything! Apparently a lot of people saw it. I didn't get to see the pictures, because I missed the news. Shucks!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2007 08:38AM by suncloud.

Posted by: Miss_Tanya ()
Date: August 15, 2007 08:45AM

Yes, I was surprised about the tiny amounts some people are eating. Makes me look at my own diet and feel like such a glutton! I eat constantly.

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: August 15, 2007 09:10AM

Enchantress:
I am trying to lose a little weight, that's just one part of it though I think the overall goal is just greater health benefits, energy etc.
In the last year and half I have lost about 57lbs. Switching from vegetarian to vegan and then eating more raw. I just have bit more to go smiling smiley

I believe that on a raw food diet you will tend to eat less calories. The simple fact is that you need to eat more on a cooked food diet because many nutrients are destroyed. A raw food diet is more about quality than quantity.

I suppose on cooked food I should eat at least 2500 calories a day being 6'3" and 198lbs but on raw I just don't eat that much.

I also think that calories are a flawed way to measure food across the board given the many different types and characteristics. A calorie is an amount of heat energy needed to raise 1 g water's temperature from 14.5 C to 15.5 C (by it's historical definition, the new definition deals with joules).

Given that raw foods are higher energy and cleaner foods I would think that less is needed, in part they are higher energy foods because your body is not wasting energy on such complex digestion, obviously if you are coming straight out of a SAD or other heavily cooked diet then you will feel hungry because you body is still producing the levels of stomach acid needed to get through the heavy and more difficult foods.

Just my thoughts, do whatever is best for you, I wish you success with your goals.

Phil.

--------------------------------------------------

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it" (Chinese Proverb)

Posted by: islandgirl ()
Date: August 15, 2007 12:49PM

As for my part...I am trying to lose weight. My reasons for this lifestyle are first of all health and secondly weight loss...or maybe both are number 1. I do find I get full faster on raw foods, I think because of all the nutrition. I do get off track occasionally, but the "health" issue is what keeps me on track, not the weight loss.

Posted by: sunrise ()
Date: August 15, 2007 01:56PM

Hi Enchantress: I am trying to gain health and to trim up as well. I am just starting raw food (day three, after prior attempts) so for me, I think it is a matter of stocking up the kitchen - then I will probably eat more.

However, as things stand now, I feel pretty satisfied. Matter of fact, I am grazing all day.

I was thinking about the small amounts a lot of raw fooders eat as well. In my mind, I compared eating a small salad, some fruit and nuts compared to say, a veggie burger and fries, a plate of pasta, etc. So much cooked food is just filler. Sure, it has calories, but they are empty calories. smiling smiley That's why I think in general we eat so much less when we are raw.

What do you think?

Sunrise

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: August 15, 2007 03:18PM

Hi everyone. It's like a party in here.

Hope you're better khale. It sounds like you're in labor. Poor thing.

Ashcat-I live in Louisiana and I was wondering if that waitress had a southern accent? smiling smiley

venusian-when I get hunger that I can't satiate nuts help.

islandgirl- when I say your name I start singing Elton John's song "Island Girl." Some advise that might help you is allowing yourself cooked as often as you feel is good for you. In the beginning I liked to push myself to Saturday and if I still wanted "x" on Saturday then I would eat it. Sometimes I would go overboard until Sunday eve. but I ALWAYS got back to raw on Monday. I don't beat myself up at all but the way felt on Monday and Tuesday always motivated me to stay my course. Now my cravings for most things are gone or are very manageable. I have a few demons that may haunt me forever.

enchantress-when I started out I had been trying to lose five pounds and after a couple months raw I had lost 30. I went from being at the top of my margin for weight for my size to the bottom. I look better than I did in my early twenties. After i got to my ideal weight I just quit losing. I eat less now than I did when I was losing the weight. I expect to lose a little bit more now that I am cutting the "junk" out of my diet.

Yesterday I ate:

-tea
-ezekial bread* with almond butter, honey and bananas on top
-water,ACV and honey
-leftover salmon fingers dipped in leftover avo cilantro sauce ( My eleven year old and I were fighting over these. She wants me to make more today)
-quite a few dates. I don't count but probably 8 to 10
-my sons leftover apple (I am going to stuff dates with apple. It was like a caramel apple. So unbelievably yummy)
-Sea weed- Wakame dried, right out of the bag. (I'm on the second day of my period and I saw a TV show and this guy was eating chips and I HAD to eat something crunchy and salty. I didn't feel so good for a little while after).
-more dates in the eve. Probably 10.
-acv, water and honey

*indicates cooked

Posted by: brokenbrooke ()
Date: August 15, 2007 03:42PM

okay so for lunch yesterday...3 plums
dinner...didn't eat raw but had a pepper/onion quesadilla w/ one
piece of cheese. this is the hardest thing that i haven't given up. thankfully there is no more left.
had eight glasses of water---i love my water even when i eat lots of fruits and veggies.
haven't eaten yet today. been playing nurse to my man.
but i have a delicious pear, a plum, and a kiwi....in my sights.

i must say it makes me feel a bit more accountable for what i eat when sharing with others.
hope everyone is enjoying their first few days. good luck!!!

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: August 15, 2007 03:54PM

yesterday august 14 food I ate
I swooshed some oil in the morning

two tablespoons of flax mixed with flax oil and a chopped up peach

some carrot hazelnut thing just to munch on

carrot, cucumber, celery, kale, and spinach juice, about 20oz

some of that spicy saurkrout.

a necterine and some dried bananas

some cantaloup

Thats about all I ate today

Posted by: dewey ()
Date: August 15, 2007 04:53PM

aug 14th
cup of coffee
20 minutes on treadmill...didn`t get in to it today sad smiley i hate those workouts when you don`t get in to it
green lemonade
6 oz raspberries
smoothie with a banana,goji berries,kiwi, maca, and cacao
piece of mochi
sumos
glass white wine

i hesitated posting this day because of sumos which is a sushi bar that i won`t elaborate on because of the nature of the board. but...accountability right?
patty

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 15, 2007 05:15PM

This thread is so great!

Hope you're doing well today Khale. smiling smiley

Date: August 15, 2007 05:41PM

the enchantress Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry to jump in here with a random question, but
> are all of you here trying to lose weight?

weight loss is second to me....health/giving my body the nutrients it needs being the 1st. i have about 10 lbs i want to shed but it`s coming off little by little. it doesn`t consume me.
patty

Date: August 15, 2007 06:01PM

So, here are my goals:

1. I am going to exercise a minimum of 3 times per week. Try to do my Tai Chi or Qi Gong each morning or at least every other morning.

2. Eat at a minimum of 75% raw each day.

Thats it. Sounds simple enough lol. I have set my goals lower and more reasonable than in the past so I hope this will help keep me make me less likely to go "wrong".

Phil.

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it" (Chinese Proverb)

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: August 15, 2007 06:35PM

I am recovering anorexic, really struggling right now, hence the low/lack of foods.

Today managed

2 spoons humous

blueberries

a few bits of cucumber

couldnt keep anything else down

..thats some progress at least.. but eh.. trying hard. Dont want to take any medications, so just trying to deal with this with councelling.

Thanks for the support

Raw_dancer

Date: August 15, 2007 06:37PM

jadedshade Wrote:
I have set my
> goals lower and more reasonable than in the past
> so I hope this will help keep me make me less
> likely to go "wrong".

i think that`s a great plan phil. i think alot of us "fail" because we push too hard. we gotta push but if we push too hard we`re overwhelmed and we give up before we`ve just begun. and i hate the word failure....we don`t fail, we learn and evolve
patty

Date: August 15, 2007 06:40PM

rawdanceruk Wrote:

> ..thats some progress at least.. but eh.. trying
> hard.

that`s what is important...progress smiling smiley the things you did eat were nutritious, think quality and not quantity
patty

Date: August 15, 2007 06:52PM

List for day 1:

Breakfast
2 small oranges (clementines)
1 very large bunch of grapes (about 2 hrs later)

Lunch
A houmous salad sanwich (not raw of course)

Dinner
Mushrooms, green onion, red onion, cucumber, tomato & a sprinkle of sunflower seeds Marinated in shoyu and placed in chinese leaf lettuce.

Later: 2 handfulls of Goji berries.

Throughout the day I had several glasses of water and 3 small cups of green tea.
I feel good, I can already feel the energy coming back!

My dinner:

Phil.

Date: August 15, 2007 07:22PM

dinner looks awesome phil!
patty

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 15, 2007 07:30PM

August 14th (Day 1) . . . I am a day late.

10:00 am - 2 peaches
8 oz of orange juice

2:00 pm - potato chips sad smiley
1 peach
spinach salad
8 oz of orange juice

6:00 pm - 8 oz of orange juice
watermelon
2 peaches

Date: August 15, 2007 07:54PM

pakd4fun...I haven't heard the Elton John song...now I'm curious. Thanks for the advice. I think that may work for me. It's the mentality of thinking "never" that usually causes one to fail.

rawdancer...you did awesome! Compared to a few days ago, you're making great progress. I'm really proud of you!

Date: August 15, 2007 07:54PM

Rawdancer, keep taking those small steps each day and you will get there smiling smiley

dewey Wrote:
> dinner looks awesome phil!
> patty

Thanks, I try to keep things simple and do better that way (i.e mono fruit) but I like to get creative every once in a while.

Here are some links to some other "Raw Gourmet" stuff I've made in the past

Raw Pasta Marinara [www.philgriffiths.net]

Pasta vegetables [www.philgriffiths.net]

Peppers stuffed with Avocados and carrott [www.philgriffiths.net]

I figured I would put links up rather use up all that space on the board with three pics winking smiley

Have a good day everyone!

Phil.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2007 07:58PM by jadedshade.

Posted by: Lorretta ()
Date: August 15, 2007 07:57PM

15th August
AM
A beautiful pint of organic beetroot and carrot juice. i juiced the tops too.
15 mins from my garden to my table. It was amazing!

2 oranges

green salad, soaked almonds and avo for lunch

Banana mylk

banana fruit smoothie

Fruit salad pineapple, orange kiwi grapes

Raw brownie nuts, dates and carob powder processed (frozen)
(I keep some just incase my chocolate craving gets very strong)

30 mins step
dog walk
Afternoon nap as i have been exhausted today.
Very low energy and very hungry.
I am going to increase my fat intake tomorrow, see if the chocolate craving dissapears.

Khale, hope your pain has eased.

Love n healing to you all
Lorretta

Posted by: Ashcat ()
Date: August 15, 2007 08:04PM

Again, I didn't mean to sound all judge-y. Raw dancer, I feel ya -- as someone who struggled with an eating disorder in my teens, I know how all-consuming the thoughts of what you're putting into your body can be. Even now, having had that problem under control for ten years, eating can still sometimes feel too close to an 'obsession' for comfort.

That's part of what I feel is so great about raw. If everything is whole, natural and nutritious, you really don't have to worry about the devil of 'how much'. The important thing to keep in mind is that the lifestyle takes care of itself. You can eat five bananas at a clip and there's no harm done. Even the focus on being 'healthy' rather than 'thin' can become unhealthy if allowed to take over your life.

Progress is what's important, and that takes a lot of time.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: August 15, 2007 08:29PM

Thanks for all the support everyone, thank you phil! (your dinner looks good..)

Yes I know..and am fully convinced all raw is good and wonderful and full of nutrients just bursting at the seams!! But I have had such a long relapse now and so long without eating I am having a bad reaction- choking, gagging, being sick. So I really am taking babysteps. I wish I could go for the old 5 banana's right now!!

I am going to try making some smoothies on friday, although I am again worried about the texture.

But.. its something I have managed to eat a few different textures today anyway.

I am lucky my work are being very good and understanding I am being sick a lot at the moment which is beyond my control.. its getting a lot better though smiling smiley

Much Love

Raw_dancer

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: August 15, 2007 09:41PM

Kudos to you rawdancer. Take it one food at a time. Try not to stress over what your not eating. Stress is never helpful. You did good today smiling smiley!!

Posted by: sunrise ()
Date: August 16, 2007 01:07AM

August 15 -

Well, today was quite a challenge and I ended up eating cooked food (Chinese - a plate full) and drinking a 1/2 beer plus two glasses of wine. Ugh!!! I was/am feeling pretty sad today...I don't know exactly why and even though I wasn't hungry I decided to eat cooked food for comfort. I won't be hard on myself, but I need to figure out why I need to "fill" myself. I don't feel any better than I did earlier in the day.

I wonder if it was detox exaggerating my mood or if it was just my mood? I woke up feeling very tired and unmotivated. I felt "spaced" today and had a general feeling of discontent. Oh well, tomorrow is another day!

Today I ate:

Breakfast - an apple, raw almonds, green tea
lunch - a garden salad
snack - more almonds, green tea
Dinner 1 - a mango/avocado salad, two glasses wine
Dinner 2 - plate of Chinese food plus wonton soup - 1/2 glass of beer

To tomorrow!

Sunrise

Date: August 16, 2007 01:09AM

Aug. 15 Food Diary

Breakfast:
smoothie ( 1 c spinach, 2 bananas, 2 TB hemp. 2 TB carob )

Snack:
1/4 avocado
raw bar

Lunch:
I fixed an organic spinach pizza for my daughter...and I was attacked by two slices,

Snack:
23 nectarines
2 pears

Dinner:
acai smoothie

Other than the pizza fatality, it was a pretty good day!

Posted by: venusian ()
Date: August 16, 2007 02:38AM

this morning I visited a vegan friend & we bonded over fresh out of the oven gluten free vegan cranberry walnut bread and coffee. I had a lot of both! *grin*

not so good during the day, however....noted for future reference...

dinner I drank throughout the evening=large green smoothie w/ VMG, romaine, cabbage, pear, apple, daikon, salt, lime

hope you all are having a good evening!
peace
venusian

Date: August 16, 2007 03:24AM

islandgirl Wrote:

>
> Lunch:
> I fixed an organic spinach pizza for my
> daughter...and I was attacked by two slices,
>
> Snack:
> 23 nectarines
> 2 pears
>
> Dinner:
> acai smoothie

ROTFLMAO i love the attack thing! i`m attacked nightly by a glass or 2 of wine! damn it anyways...what is society coming to! LOL 23 nectarines?? 1 right after another??wow...i admire you smiling smiley how does the acai taste? i really want to try it.
patty

Current Page: 3 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables